Mar 24, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Several weeks ago TLC reported about a lengthy interview J.K. Rowling that appeared in the Edinburgh Student newspaper. In that interview, Jo spoke openly again about her struggles with depression while a single mother and the difficult period in her life before the publication of the Harry Potter novels. The author of the Edinburgh Student interview now has apparently released audio of the interview to main stream media, which are reporting that this audio contains the Harry Potter author saying she had “suicidal thoughts” during this period in her life, before seeking Cognitive Behavioural therapy to help her overcome her depression. While these comments are not in the original published interview (scans here, pdf here), you can read more on these comments via links to The Times and USA today.

Thanks to all who emailed.

17 Responses to More on J.K. Rowling Depression Comments in Edinburgh Student Newspaper Interview

ACK!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

OOH! Well at least she’s better now. She’s the Jo we all know and love.

Jo? If you ever think about that kind of stuff again, know that everyone here at Leaky loves you and will love you forever.

Live, Love, Harry Potter!!

Avatar Image says:

Well, she demonstrated that the depression can be surpassed

Avatar Image says:

Some of the best artists have been depressed throughout the centuries. It doesn’t change my opinion of her; I’m glad she got help. She is a wonderful woman who has influenced so many people. And she has publicly stated that she knows that now, even if the magnitude of her fame is still overwhelming. :)

Avatar Image says:

Glad to hear that cognitive behavioural therapy worked for her…

Avatar Image says:

Goodness, I love her. The fact that she’s not afraid to speak openly about all sorts of topics just makes me love her more.

Avatar Image says:

I absolutly love Jo…she’s my hero!!! She definatly did not have a happy life before Harry Potter came along but she got through it and became a billion air. She’s an inspiration to everyone suffering from depression.

Avatar Image says:

I’m really, really glad she has a better life now. And I don’t mean just her money – even if they take away all the economic troubles – but also that she has a family that loves her, she’s realized her life’s dream to be a writer, and the joy she must feel knowing how many millions of people who enjoy her books, and how she’s helped many, many people to enjoy reading books!

You know, there’s a saying that goes – “If you’ve planted a tree, you haven’t lived in vain.” Jo has planted the seed of joy by reading to so many others and will continue to do so for generations to come. This is perhaps her greatest accomplishment to mankind. We are forever grateful.

And yes, she’s an inspiration for all of us that suffers from depression.

Avatar Image says:

Depression is an illness and I’m thankful Jo recognized this and sought help. I wish my sister had because she would be here with us if she did. I’m so glad Jo has spoken out and perhaps saved many lives by her brave example.

Avatar Image says:

Damn those dementors! JK did say she thought of dementors representing the despair and unhappiness. I wonder what her patronus would have been then? Stephen Fry also suffered something similar and literally was suicidal. Many years ago he was supposed to be staring in a new stage play but did not turn up and actually vanished for a week causing a nationwide scare in the media. He had sudden attack of depression and left the country but returned a week later when he discovered how worried everyone was for him. He apologised sincerely but talks very openly about it since and made a superb documentary highlighting how serious manic depression can be and the optimism of how it can b conquored. JK and Fry are good friends and I wonder if they ever talk to each other about what they had suffered from the past. I think JK actually contributed to that documentary, cant quite remember now.

Avatar Image says:

Please leave her alone. Who hasn’t thought of suicide in tough times. People make her tough times to be a big deal just because she is famous. Money or not, depression effects us all.

Avatar Image says:

Depression is a constant uphill battle at times. I admire Jo even more because she had the strength and courage to recognize it and seek help despite all the stigma behind the illness (and yes, it is an illness). I suffered from depression nearly all my life and it wasn’t until a friend took me aside and explained that I wasn’t at fault for how I felt, that I sought help for it. Medications only go so far, but getting professional help and talking about it, can help too. I just wish someone would have seen it when I was a teenager and realized what was going on. I wouldn’t have suffered so long.

Avatar Image says:

i’m so very glad she found help for her illness, and has overcome it,or has it under control.and really appreciate the fact she talks about it to give others hope. more important than becoming a billionair , is ,she now has a wonderful family. love you Jo,at lot of people do .

Avatar Image says:

jo is amazing. she is such a good role model to any women or any one for that matter. it is so great that she can speak openly about all of the troubles of her past. it makes her that much more awesome!!! we all love you Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Who gives a rat’s patootie The fact that it’s not in her writing as much as others….

Henry Miller, Hemmingway, Dickens, even Shakespeare…and the worse of all..’Father Time’ and sibs in Hardy’s, “Jude the Obscure”..even contemporary counterparts have been there….Stephen King, one among others…

Avatar Image says:

Thank you very very much for sharing this, Jo. Depression is one of life’s toughest battles. Gaining awareness is the most painful AND absolutely necessary part of recovering! I’m super glad that we have cognitive behavioural therapy as a way to help us – it works WONDERS and I’ll recommend it always.

Avatar Imagerojalie says: this caravans saleing is a very important thing for every one =============== caravans

Write a Reply or Comment