College Quidditch Gains Media Coverage (Updated)

Mar 27, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Over the past several years we’ve reported on the rise in popularity of Quidditch being played at various Harry Potter gatherings and especially now at US universities. This week, the Middlebury College Quidditch club is taking the magical sport on the road with it’s Spring Break tour. This event has garnered media attention, as a recent match played at Princeton University was covered by outlets such as CBS, ESPN, and MTVU which filmed the event. TLC reader Rebecca emailed to say a report on this Quidditch tour and the game is due to be broadcast tomorrow morning on the CBS Early Show. UPDATE:CBS has now uploaded the video of this, which you can watch via this link.

You can learn more about the Middlebury Quidditch program via this link, as well as see a video here at youtube.

UPDATE 2: In addition to the CBS Early Show link above, additional video can be seen at a second CBS link, here. Other media reports on this event include coverage from The Boston Globe, The Springfield Republican, Local Buzz blog report, CBS Springfield, WBZ, and another video on YouTube. Enjoy!

51 Responses to College Quidditch Gains Media Coverage (Updated)

Avatar Image says:

I really hope they have Quidditch at whatever college I choose!

Avatar Image says:

Tivo this tomorrow morning!

Avatar Image says:

WTG, This is great news I hope that more people try it. ( without hospitalizing themselves as they do in the books) For those who can swim “water quidditch” is great fun.

Avatar Image says:

I have work tomorrow morning! cries I’ll see if I can record it though.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve heard that Sarah Lawrence has one too…or at least a club! That would be awesome.

Avatar Image says:

WOW, people are taking this way too seriously..

Avatar Image says:

There is a specific reason why they played at Princeton: that is where the first college football and college frisbee games were played (both times, Rutgers vs Princeton), and the rules of the games were established. So, what we should be hearing next is the establishment of an official Quidditch League with set rules (instead of campus intramural teams/clubs with differing rules, which is the current state of things)

Carla, I’m a college teacher…I’m just delighted to see students with enthusaism for anything constructive! And obvsiously, we’re talking about college students who actually read books! Hey, great stuff, this HP world!

Avatar Image says:

The Harry Potter Club at Penn State University plays Quidditch, as well, though we aren’t involved with Middlebury. (IMHO, the rules we use are better.) A thought for anyone contemplating coming to Penn State!

Avatar Image says:

That is Hi-larious!! The best is the guy in the yellow suit running around as the snitch. I’d never seen quidditch played by muggles – only pics. That’s just awesome. WTG

Avatar Image says:

I hope they have this at LeakyCon or sometime at Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! This is great!! I am so gonna be on a team when i go to college!!

Squeeee!

Avatar Image says:

Thia should SO be at Leakycon!! I would be soo happy!

Live, Love, Harry Potter!!

We have a team here at Florida State University

Avatar Image says:

I read in some interview that JK invented quidditch after a sports argument with a friend or her then husband (don’t really remember that part) and that she had come out angry or something so she ended up inventing her own sport with her own rules and what have you.

I bet that the day JK came up with it, she never, ever, EVER in the EVERS figured it would be played someday in the nearby future at american colleges.

Avatar Image says:

So, Cassie and Carrie, arrange for matches between FSU and PSU! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

JK Rowling: Most influential person of our time!

Avatar Image says:

Hey! They have college quidditch were I go too! They even have a facebook group called Yale Quidditch and they meet and play often.

Maybe it will replace football one day.

Avatar Image says:

My college plays Quidditch as well – we have a Quidditch Club. It is a very awesome club, but Quidditch is an annoying sport to play on the ground! Too many balls flying around and running up and down the court for my taste.

Avatar Image says:

College Quidditch sounds fun and all, but why oh why do people have to run around with a broomstick between your legs? I mean, that’s just silly (¬¬).

Avatar Image says:

Middlebury brought their game to Columbia University that day and played in the park near campus, much to the delight of Upper West Side kids, who came running to watch (and play!) in their Gryffindor hats and scarves.

I played on a combined Columbia / NYU side against Middlebury… and they in their expertise crushed us 130 to 30. But still! So much fun.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! i would LOVE 2 see a muggle quidditch!!! (sry if i spell anything wrong ive been texting 2 much 2day!!) im on our schools quidditch team!!! its SO exciting!

GO HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Here at Elmira College we have the Dedicated Obsessive Compulsive Harry Potter Fanatics (DOCHPF) club and it would be great if we could get a Quidditch team going…dunno if there’s that much interest for it tho because we’re such a small school

Hey Guys,

I am the person organizing the Quidditch game that’s going to be aired tomorrow on CBs. I am a student at Amherst College and all the Middlebury kids are here and they’re so nice and have a good sense of fun – and the whole game is very intense. And this happened all because of Leaky. If I hadn’t read the post about USA Today’s article on Quidditch, I never would have found out that Middlebury wanted to come to Amherst (and other colleges in the area) and inspire a team…so thank you Leaky!!!! This wouldn’t be happening with you!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Is anyone from Middlebury a TLC participant???? Or does their Quidditch team have a website that other clubs use to contact the team?

Avatar Image says:

Robyn, our posting went up simultaneously….

And, you’re right! thanks, Leaky, Melissa, Sue, Edward and the rest of the TLC staff…..

Avatar Image says:

I so want to play Quidditch. I read about this somewhere else…can’t remember where, but it sounded awesome. Wish there was Quidditch at my college…too bad I’m graduating soon or I would start a team! :D

Avatar Image says:

WOW!! AWESOME!! I hope they have Quidditch teams in the college I get into sometime in the near future! I’d love to try out! :-D

Avatar Image says:

This SO funny but really what is the point of playing it if you cant fly?! And the snitch guy…umm pleeeasse dont let this sport come to England. I’d rather us Harry Potter fans behave with a little bit of dignity. It is funny but it just looks a bit bizaar!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that Harry Potter would become this influential!

I’d love to see this become a official sport, though they need to modify a few things before it will be taken more seriously, I think.

Avatar Image says:

Bemused, I watch a little of the broadcast before class this morning, and I’ll agree, the “Middlebury rules” version of Quidditch lack…well, “elegence” is the word that leaps to mind…still, as a spontaneous culltrual development, it deserves at least a grin and a moment of applause for enthusiasm and creativity?

Avatar Image says:

I’m soooo happy that Quidditch has made it as a college sport (at least in some colleges – it’s just the beginnign). I’ve seen quite a few videos on youtube, and the games were so much more fun to watch for me than, say, soccer or rugby. Now, what I’ve been wondering is whether there’s Muggle Quidditch in Europe. Does anyone know? I’m feeling slightly left behind – only a few wizard rock bands, and no quidditch :(

Avatar Image says:

Go to the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2220478706 and you can get a lot of information.

I want to see a PSU match!

Avatar Image says:

I had no idea that they did this! I want to go to a match sooo bad. Instead of starting “the wave” I would start a chant that goes a bit like this: Snape Snape Severus Snape Snape Snape Severus Snape DUMBELDORE Snape Snape Severus Snape Snape Snape Severus Snape harry potter harry potter harry potter Snape Snape Severurs Snape

Do you suppose I am totally off my rocker or am I totally on my broom and this would go over well???

Actually, an after thought… maybe I would start the “Weasley is our King” song. I guess the possibilities are endless.

Avatar Image says:

um, this might sound like a stupid question, but how do they play it? i mean, do they acually have brooms that have wires so they fly around? just wonderin.

Avatar Image says:

Tory - Click on the red portion in the article that says “you tube”. That will answer your question. :)

Avatar Image says:

cbshas the video on the page you guys link to now

Avatar Image says:

It would be so cool if they had human bludgers like the have a human snitch! Though that might get a bit messy…

Breana- Awesome Avatar (I do that ti :D)

Avatar Image says:

I meant to say “I do that to”

Avatar Image says:

Here’s the link from cbs.com. I watched it this morning. It’s pretty interesting. I wish they had Quidditch when I was in college. That would have been so cool. Anyways, here’s the link: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3976918n I don’t know why it didn’t get highlighted so you can just click on it. Sorry about that. Just copy and paste. If that doesn’t work just go to cbs.com.

Avatar Image says:

please could someone take the seriousness out of UK universities and have this played!

Avatar Image says:

i cant see the video. im on a school computer. i dont have a computer at home. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

i was watching this on cbs while i was getting my kids ready to go to the dentist and was howling with laughter. what a great idea to make this sport a real thing. i want to start a team in my town !!

Avatar Image says:

lol we play quidditch in colombia too…

Avatar Image says:

Right.. who wants to play? I doooo!

Avatar Image says:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER ME THIS? How can someone actually play Quidditch? I mean it’s made up…. it’s a fictional sport in the book! Their flying for Christ’s sake…..... I don’t get it. Can someone explain this to me…..........b/c it doesn’t make any kind of sense PLEASE reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Avatar Image says:

They run with broomsticks instead of fly – need lots of coordination and stamina! The snitch is human and designated in various ways. There are no boundaries for the snitch but everyone else has to remain within a certain area. Go to some of the links posted and you can see examples of play. :)

Avatar Image says:

It just dawned on me, we havent heard of any highschool teams being formed…..are there any out there?

Avatar Image says:

I had the kids at my elementary school playing Muggle Quidditch back in 2002 and most years thereafter. The parents also got into the act after the kids pooped out. We played in the gym in winter, and on a soccer field in summer. Our variation had the spectators (the snitch pitchers) throwing the snitch over the heads of the seekers. It took 3 refs to keep things under control. I took it on the road to the UK (Accio and Sectus conferences). We reserved brooms for the keepers who used them to guard the goals (hanging from the basketball backboard). No tackling … hit by a bludger? 10 sec. “time out” counted outloud, one hippogriff, two hippogriff, etc. I have volunteered for TLC conference in Boston … lets see if they pick it up. And here is my website/instructional video: http://web.mac.com/lahay

Avatar Image says:

sorry, the web site is http://web.mac.com/lahay/mugquid

Avatar Image says:

I’m excited Sarah Lawrence has a quidditch club…I wonder if we compete?

Write a Reply or Comment