Cover Art for Japanese Translation of “Deathly Hallows” Revealed

115

Mar 31, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The publishers of the Harry Potter novels in Japan, Say-zan-sha, have released the cover art for their edition of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. You can view the cover art right here in our image galleries. This edition of the seventh novel in author J. K. Rowling’s series is set for release on July 23, 2008 and will be translated by Yuko Matsuoka, who has worked on the previous Japanese translations.

Thanks to UHP for the heads up.

36 Responses to Cover Art for Japanese Translation of “Deathly Hallows” Revealed

Avatar Image says:

What’s with the ATV? Did I miss something?

Avatar Image says:

LOL me too! I don’t really know what that could be =D

Avatar Image says:

I have to admit, that cover is compelling and will engage bookshoppers! Still, the picture we’re given looks kind of blurry. Hopefully it looks better in person. :D

And I bet it does.

Avatar Image says:

ATV = Hagrid on the motorbike, I think….lol. Interesting.

Avatar Image says:

I did not know that the Japanese readers had to wait more than a year for their translation, that is so long!!! I don’t really like the cover, but at least the cover does not give away the whole end (as several other covers do).

Avatar Image says:

That is a terrible bookcover. Look at the english title: Harry Potter and (HARRY POTTER LOGO) the deathly hallows. Just terrible. it’s supposed to be scene where they move Harry to the burrow i think.

Avatar Image says:

it not the best thing. i still love the American version i think is really hot. you can spot it from miles away. i dunno i just love it

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, that is not a very interesting cover. I wouldn’t look twice at that. Sorry.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, does anybody else think this looks like the cover of Meatloaf’s Bat Out of Hell CD????

Avatar Image says:

definatly not as good as the american cover!

Avatar Image says:

I guess its ok. Its kind of abstract and harry isnt featured on the cover so that upsets me.

Live, Love, Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

i’ll be in japan anyway….i can go to the book release again : )

ACK! DIS-GUS-TI-MUN-DO!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I love all the little people on brooms in the sky… very subtle, but key. I like it.

Avatar Image says:

definatly not as good as the american cover!

Um is that Hagrid on Sirius’ motorbike or an old woman on a scooter? :P

Avatar Image says:

Looks like a weird mixture between Amano-sensei’s art and Miyazaki. Strange yet oddly pleasing…

Avatar Image says:

LMAO Saffron. YOUR’RE RIGHT! I will never be able to look at Hagrid the same again! XD

Avatar Image says:

i think the cover has a theme going for it. i also think that harry is featured on the cover…i think the theme for it is “Escape” like hagrid and harry escaping from voldemort and harry escaping from gringotts…that’s just what it appeals to me…who knows

Avatar Image says:

I like british children’s coverart the best…...my sweeties R/Hr are on it…... <3 <3

Avatar Image says:

I’m so happy the Japanese edition is finally coming out! My boss is a native Japanese speaker, and she read the US edition of DH when it came out, but it took her a while to read, so I had to keep tight-lipped for a month. I’ll get it for her when it comes out.

Avatar Image says:

I definitely think the canadian and british ones are the best.. this japanese one is ok..

Avatar Image says:

What the?? This is REALLY bad. Couldn’t they find something that actually made sense for the cover? I wouldn’t have known it was Hagrid, it does look like someone on an ATV. Terrible cover art, IMO.

Avatar Image says:

I like it alot, I think that is is the part where Harry is heading towards the Burrow.

Yup, I for one, really like this cover!

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t know there were limousine-brooms in the wizarding world. Where can I get one?

Avatar Image says:

I wanna c the volume 2 cover (u can c it very faintly on Sayzansha’s official site)....why must they tantalize us like this?

Avatar Image says:

What’s with the cover art hate? The American coverart better? Well, sure, if you want something that is completely misleading as to where the final battle is taking place! XD LOL. Seriously, I love the cover art and I am very very tempted to buy this in order to practice my Nihongo. Yay!

Avatar Image says:

If you look at the publisher’s site, there are actually two covers, one for each volume. It would be interesting to know where they split the book.

Avatar Image says:

Strange…I love the American cover best, and the delux edition cover.

Avatar Image says:

Orwont, you’re right, it’s be interesting to know where they split it, because then, it’d give some idea about the split in the film too! And no, I don’t hate the cover art, it’s just a bit different from most of the cover art I’ve seen before so it just took me aback a bit, that’s all! It’s actually good, but I guess no Harry on the cover just made people feel weird, because you usually have the main character on all the covers.

Avatar Image says:

I’m really don’t care too much for the American cover, since it’s a little too obvious for me (like changing philosophers stone to sorcerers stone). But maybe it’s just because I’m dutch and I like my nations book covers best. But this Japanese cover is still awfull.

Avatar Image says:

Prenz, you don’t usually have the main character on the book cover. They ordinarily just do that with childrens books and I don’t persieve Harry Potter as such.

Avatar Image says:

Come on guys, this is the scene where Hagrid, Death Eaters and the Dragons are playing Quidditch with an extra large bulger hurtling towards Hagrid. Remember? Man, you guys have such bad memories…

Avatar Image says:

the previous book covers were better/great. this one is really anti-climactic. ironic since i expected it to be rather flashy in a non-spoiler-y way.

Avatar Image says:

@ redbeard: Of course the dutch covers are better! But then again, saying that, I’m fronm Flanders after all ;)

@Blackat: How do you mean, this looks like a mixture of Amano and Miyazaki? I’m not offending you or anything, I just don’t get it. Everything I’ve ever seen from Miyazaki doesn’t look like this at all. Maybe you could give me a hint?

Avatar Image says:

not a fan of it as the cover but i really like the picture, great use of colours and texture, i kinda like those Japenese covers to have hanging on my wall, not on the book though

Write a Reply or Comment