“We Are Wizards” Documentary Screening at Film Festivals in April

124

Mar 31, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As some of you may know, there is a new documentary focusing on the Harry Potter fandom called “We Are Wizards.” This documentary has been described by the film makers as a piece that “tracks the influential figures leading the creative subculture surrounding the popular series. The film follows a set of individuals ranging from web journalists, authors, artists, filmmakers and musicians, as they enhance and expand the Harry Potter story, often in unexpected ways. WE ARE WIZARDS is a portrayal of creative fans with a common goal: to make their voices heard.”

This film features some familiar faces, including Paul and Joe from “Harry and the Potters,” Brian and Brad from “Draco and the Malfoys” and Matt from “The Whomping Willows.” Also interviewed extensively for the film are others such as artist Brad Neely (Wizard People, Dear Readers) and our own Melissa Anelli. Made by film makers Josh Koury and Gerald Lewis, “We Are Wizards” will be screening at the following film festivals in April, with some events to feature appearances and performances from some of the wizard rock bands. Dates of note are as follows:

NY Underground Film Festival

• Saturday, April 5th, 8:45pm
  • Tuesday, April 8th 7pm
    Tickets to this event are now available, with the April 5 screening to follow with a Q & A session with film’s creators, Paul DeGeorge of Harry and the Potters, and Melissa Anelli of The Leaky Cauldron.
  • Sarasota Film Festival

• Saturday, April 12th 4:45pm
  • Sunday, April 13th Noon
  • Boston Independent Film Festival

• Thursday April 24th, 7:30pm (Coolidge Corner Theatre)
  • Saturday April 26th, 4:00pm (Somerville Theatre)
    The April 26 show will be followed by a Q&A with nearly everyone in the film (including Brad Neely, the Hungarian Horntails, Draco and the Malfoys and Melissa Anelli) as well as a rock show with Harry and the Potters, Draco and the Malfoys and the Hungarian Horntails.
  • You can see a preview of this film via the trailer at YouTube.

(CAUTION TO PARENTS: Slight adult language used in trailer)

24 Responses to “We Are Wizards” Documentary Screening at Film Festivals in April

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I really want to see this!

Too bad no showings are going to be in LA D:

Avatar Image says:

Hey, what about people from other countries. Nothing in the UK?

Really exciting though. just hope that at least once i would be able to come to one potter themed events (before time runs out ) :(

Avatar Image says:

Nice seeing Melissa in so many scenes.

Avatar Image says:

I would totally love to see this! but i live in stupid Canada, where nothing cool or Harry Potterish ever happens :(

Avatar Image says:

I hope they post it on YouTube. I really want to see it, but I can’t make it to any of the showings.

Avatar Image says:

This looks so good. I hope it will be released on DVD later so I can see it!

Avatar Image says:

Agreed about the no Canadian dates :( I really want to see this too! Maybe the Toronto film festival in September? That would be cool!

Avatar Image says:

The film festivals listed above are only through April—I’m sure they’ll be many more. There’s one very near my house, and I’ve always wanted to go. This could get me there, lol.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! I definitely want to go to the April 26th event in Boston! Do we just show up to the somerville theatre or do we need to buy tix?

Avatar Image says:

Aieee! I live right near Boston. I need to figure out how I can go to that one =D

Avatar Image says:

They should show it at the Heartland Film Festival in Indianapolis this October. They always have really great independent films there!

Avatar Image says:

Wow. The trailer itself was really moving. I wish there was a showing in Atlanta. :)

Avatar Image says:

zomg, u have no idea, i saw the trailer for this and was going ‘i wish it would come to sarasota’ so excuse me i must go squee in my moms ear!!

Avatar Image says:

come on Melissa, can’t you come to Sarasota? and Paul and Jo? Why not? Don’t you love the Sunshine State? You could even check on the Potter Park while in Florida!!!! ; )

Avatar Image says:

trailer looks wicked awesome ! i’m definitely going—maybe even both shows:) in response to one of the earlier comments—I just emailed the Independent Film Festival of Boston to find out about ticketing and they say tickets go on sale at the end of the week on their site www.iffboston.org. sweet.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Wizengamut, they should also feature/show it in Totonto Film Festival or perhaps on any Canadian Channels for HP fans here that cannot/have no chance of crossing the border to see it. But if God’s willing, I’ll cross the border for Equus, I promise myself not to miss it.

Avatar Image says:

Sadly, I go to school in Austin, but I left town for spring break and missed the film at SXSW. I hope this movie can get some sort of release deal so that people outside of festival cities can see it.

Avatar Image says:

I’m hoping to make the IIF one in Somerville on 4/26.

You can get tickets at http://www.iffboston.org/2008/tickets.php… the page is either getting too many requests at the moment, or just not working. I’ll check back soon.

Avatar Image says:

I had never heard of Wizard People, Dear Readers, but now my life is better for it

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for emailing them Ann. I will definitely try to get tickets!

I agree with Kiwi Mc I, I had never heard of Wizard People, Dear Readers either, and in the trailer they said it was famous! I watched a few clips, and it is pretty funny.

Avatar Image says:

Im confused tho. the iff boston website is only selling tickets for the whole thing. is there no way we can just get tickets for one event?

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, what about Europe?? THere is nothing whatsoever, even a little teeny-weeny convention done here in the netherlands.. o i hate this.. i’m planning to go to London in the summer though, anyone knows if there’s going to be a fan-convention there?? I vaguely remember something being held at Oxford, but I can;t remember what it is..

WE ARE WIZARDS!

Avatar Image says:

The filmmakers are friends of mine from college, so I’m encouraging everyone who lives in the 5 boroughs to see it! There will also be a screening on tuesday.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be there on the 26th! I’m soo excited!!

Write a Reply or Comment