Apr 03, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Back in February, we told you Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling was a guest at the James Joyce Awards in Dublin, Ireland. Thanks to La Gazetter du Sorcier there is a new report online containing a many of her remarks at this event. Answering a range of questions, Jo again says she intends to “write an Encyclopaedia which would hopefully incorporate a lot of back story I couldn’t¦ or flesh out back story that wasn’t in the books.” JKR was also asked if she thinks of the actors when she writes. Jo said “to be honest no, the only actor or actress who has ever, ever intruded while writing was Evanna Lynch, who is absolutely perfect as Luna. And I must admit I have heard her voice in my head when I wrote the book.”

Specifically on the topics of the books, J.K. Rowling reflected on the theories that she heard while writing the series and mentions several in particular, notably ” when Neville visits his parents in St Mungo’s and his mother presses sweets wrappers on him, which I always saw as a poignant moment… There was a theory that she’s passing secret messages on the sweet wrappers. There have been loads of them. But Dumbledore being Harry from the future is definitely my favourite of all the insane theories. But then you have people, I had people as early as Prisoner of Azkaban, the third book. I remember a woman saying to me : “I think Snape loves Lily”. I was “Oh my God what the hell did I give away ?”. But so people, people got stuff very unnervingly right. Often. Yeah.”

Jo also says she would like to go back and tighten up “Order of the Phoenix,” (“I must admit I was feeling the strength of the pressure a bit during that phase, and I think it shows in the book”) and mentions one hurdle she had to deal with when writing the series, stating : “The one thing, the difficulty I did sometimes have was I made a rule so tight it was sometimes hard to navigate around it myself. So not being able to Apparate in and out of Hogwarts was a pain in the back. Because it was necessary, I had to put that limit to make it a safe place. But finding a way to get in and out of Hogwarts was always a bit of a challenge. I was quite proud of Aberforth again, the tunnel. I like Aberforth. And his goat. [laughing] Yeah, Dumbledore pales into insignificance.”

Of interest are her comments regarding the plot lines and several of the characters. The Harry Potter author said some of the less crucial story lines were not always planned right from the begining and evolved as she went along, “But the big ones, the Dumbledore storyline, the Snape storyline were always there because you ” the series is built around those.” Further comments on the importance of Snape and Dumbledore came from a question about the development of their story lines. Jo said:

“with Dumbledore quite deliberately, you find out little about Dumbledore’s own private life because his interactions with Harry are always about Harry, which sets up the fact that in the seventh book Harry thinks “but why did I never ask ?” He’s gone now and he’s never even thought of saying : “so how about you ?” you know, at the end of one of those conversations which I think is something that happens after the grief, the regret that he didn’t ask. And I think also that Dumbledore had always been such an almost god-like figure to Harry in some ways, that he felt he couldn’t ask him personal questions.

Snape, on the other hand, I had to drop clues all the way through because as you know in the seventh book when you have the revelation scene where everything shifts and you realize why Snape was¦ what Snape’s motivation was. I had to plot that through the books because at the point where you see what was really going on, it would have been an absolute cheat on the reader at that point just to show a bunch of stuff you’ve never seen before, you know¦ “Oh by the way, in the background this was happening.” So I did know. It was a complicated plotting process but by the time Philosopher’s Stone was finished, I definitely knew all the big things about Snape and Dumbledore because in many ways they’re the two most important characters in the seventh book¦ Well, other than the trio, Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Thanks to Alexandre!

156 Responses to JKR: Snape and Dumbledore Two of the Most Important Characters in “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Cool, very much looking forward to this encyclopaedia Jo!! : ) I wonder what she would have tightened up in OotP?!!?

Avatar Image says:

Hah. Goodness gracious—all that “Dumbledore is Harry/Ron from the future” stuff WAS pretty outrageous . . . though fun.

I always like hearing about how she had intentionally planned the story—ie what plot-lines/character backstory and such she knew she was going to use. In retrospect, I never fail to be amazed at the amount of detail that was put into planning all the books (and how much she had thought out beforehand for ALL 7)!

Avatar Image says:

sounds swee! 3rd to post woo1!!

Avatar Image says:

boy, what i would to to be Evanna Lynch ( male version though) having jkr think luna was actually her! She great!!

Avatar Image says:

Dumbledore and Snape are two of literature’s great creations. I totally agree.

Avatar Image says:

COOOOOL!!!! Ilove this auther – all the deepiest seacrets of Harry Potter! Oddment, Blubber & tweek.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve felt that was the case for a long time (that Dumbledore and Snape are so important and that she had their stories planned early on), especially when I’ve been rereading the books since Deathly Hallows. I’m glad that she has clearly said it, as I know there are some people I’ve talked to that didn’t think so.

So, thanks, Jo, for clarifying information about two of my favorite characters. That just made my day.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so excited every time she confirms there will be an encyclopedia book. I would wait years and years as long as it has all the information in there: all the back stories, explainations, wizarding rules on spells and charms. It will definitely have a spot on my bookshelves!

Avatar Image says:

I love interviews from jo ! any information on the characters is awesome, can’t wait til the enclyclopedia, although she definatly deserves a break ! I agree that evanna IS luna, she doesn’t need ot act her she just is her. Bet evanna would love to hear that interview !

Avatar Image says:

Evanna really is the perfect Luna.

And I can happily say that I had a feeling that Snape loved Lily since OOtP but I can see how people saw it from book 3 (When Snape was going effing crazy in the shrieking shack I guess).

The encyclopedia needs to come out!

Avatar Image says:

eeyore, I agree about Dumbledore and Snape. And if you start re-reading the whole series after you’ve read Deathly Hallows, you can see how carefully it was all planned out… all the little clues that make so much more sense…

Avatar Image says:

I just wish WB realised how important Snape and Dumbledore are…..

Avatar Image says:

I am so looking forward to the Encyclopeadi! It can’t come soon enough for me! Beyond the wonderful story of Harry and his world, the technical aspects of the intricate plotting, characterizations, backstories, structure, historic and mythological references, satiric references, symbolism, etc…is absolutely mind boggling. Jo is a MASTER story teller … a true Bard.

Avatar Image says:

Man, I bet Evanna is just reeling from hearing that Jo thought of her while writing Luna in book 7. What an awesome thing for her to hear… her being such a huge fan and all.

Avatar Image says:

Wait, how could she hear Evanna’s voice in her head? Evanna wasn’t picked as Luna until after the all but Book 7 was written, I guess she’s referring to Luna’s small bit in Book 7 and the filming of OP?

Avatar Image says:

This was a good interview, I enjoyed reading the whole transcript. There is one thing that has always bothered me though. She really seems to dislike Ootp and calls those who mention it as their favorite book a “weird sub-sect” of Harry Potter fans, and thinks of those who like it as being “dark”. I must admit, it is one of my favorites of the series, however, I hardly consider myself to be dark or weird (I’m actually pretty cheery and boringly normal). I like the pace, the mystery, Harry’s emotions, the action, and Umbridge was entertainingly evil. I couldn’t put it down when I started it. Am I wrong or alone in liking it? JKR always mentions it, sometimes I feel that she really dislikes that book.

Funny thing…

I got the Snape “good” theory right, but I got the reason wrong. Of all the outrageous theories out there, the one I dismissed out of hand was Snape loving Lily. It was too cliche’d for me.

I shouldn’t be surprised though. The reason I loved the books so much was Jo’s ability to surprise me.

God Bless Her!!!

(I truly mean that)

Avatar Image says:

Snape & Dumbledore are two of the most important characters in TDH? Did we go from “April Fools Day” to “State The Obvious Day?”

It’s good to be liked!

And yeah, she means she heard Evanna’s voice when writing Luna’s part in book 7, at Malfoy Manor, Shell cottage and Hogwarts – not that small really.

Avatar Image says:

I worked out that Snape loved Lily befor DH but I was in denial…Yay snape! I love him…..... I can’t wait to get my hands on ‘The scottish book’.....

Avatar Image says:

Is that the one and only Sue Upton above?

Yeah, Sue, you are definitely very cheery (though I wouldn’t call you boringly normal. ^_). I always like Order of the Phoenix, too. But when I first read it(or heard it read aloud by my mom), I cried for a long time upon hearing about the death of Sirius. I just couldn’t stop. So, yeah, the only thing I didn’t like about it was the whole Sirius dying bit. ^^;; OotP is arguably one of the more grittier and mature books of the series. It’s a very huge leap from Sorcerer’s Stone, eh? :3

Avatar Image says:

Oh man I could listen to her talk all day. Sometimes I want another book so bad it makes me quite upset that there is nothing planned in the immediate future. Even if it wasn’t about HP, I just wish she would write another book. The interactions between her characters are so realistic that after you’re done reading you feel like you’ve just been hanging out with a bunch of your friends. I miss them. Yes, she should definitely write another book, non-magic if necessary, about three friends and their interactions… (they could be called Larry, Don, and, er Minnie). : )

Avatar Image says:

Yes, THANKS ALEXANDRE for translating the article – my French is rather weak! What wonderful comments from Jo!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think that OotP is that bad. Its def in my top 3 favs out of the 7. I liked the fact that it was a change of pace and so much darker than the other books. The emotional side of that book is amazingly powerful and complex. I wonder what she’d want to change about it?

Avatar Image says:

Sue, I always got the impression Jo liked OotP but was somewhat bemused by its general unpopularity (apparently it’s the book most likely to be bought but never finished in the whole of the UK, and I still hear lots of people complain about its length). I don’t know though, just an impression. OotP is my favourite too and I’m not strange either (I don’t think so anyway…). I thought it was absolutely amazing, provoking outrage, tears and laughter to a degree that, for me, the other books did not (though I loved them all!). OotP always seemed to me to be the book where everything (esp the war/Voldemort etc) takes on a new level of reality for Harry, and the exploration of popularism through Umbridge, Skeeter and the Ministry, was inspired. Plus the depth of emotion, especially in the wake of Sirius’ death – just perfectly written and so devastating! I loved it.

Great to have all these extra snippets of info too, I always love hearing anything about how on earth she plotted all of this, my respect for Jo and the utter genius of her storytelling just grows and grows! What an incredible story-mind!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hello wunderkind26. I am a different “Sue” and I assure you I am boringly normal (as I sit here in Massachusetts reading Zoning Board of Appeals decisions – yay!). Perhaps that is why I liked Ootp – grittier (good choice of words) and more mature. Sirius’ death did not lead me to cry – I don’t know why. There was alot of death I dealt with in real life just prior to reading the book, so I guess I fictionalized it in my mind.

Avatar Image says:

Is there any more translation? I see much more text and my French is horrible.

Avatar Image says:

No EruditeWitch , i work for this site and there isn’t more translation. It’s just the same …...but in french.

Avatar Image says:

I love JKR’s comments! I was particularly touched by the Harry/Dumbledore relationship, and Harry’s self-doubt about their relationship. I had a fantastic teacher/mentor in high school who suddenly passed away, and I had the same questions as Harry. She got that part note-perfect.

How cool for Evanna? I remember hearing JKR’s reading of OOTP, when she did Umbridge’s voice. Staunton did fantastic in getting the sticky sweetness of the character, but without the super-high pitch of the voice.

Avatar Image says:

Michelle, yes, I’ve been taking note of how intricate the details are throughout the books. Right now I’m on Order of the Phoenix, and there are all sort of references to things in past books that show little things were important even though they sometimes seemed like extras just thrown in, and there is so much foreshadowing throughout (all the books, really).

Sue, I’m like you in that OP was my favorite until Deathly Hallows came out. I don’t think of myself as dark either, but what I liked about it was that Harry was finally feeling the isolation in his life and trying to find a way to deal with it. Jo had her characters dealing with so many things that many teens go through and in a very believable way. It was the honesty of those confusing teenage emotions that made the book one of my favorites. All the characters (and Snape) became more three dimensional than they had ever been. (That was also the reason that all the shipping in HBP didn’t irritate me as it fit well with the characters and their age.)

The other thing I really liked about Order of the Phoenix was that there were so many clearly Christian symbols in the book, especially at the end (the battle at the MoM). Those were things I had seen in the books before, and OP was the one that confirmed that I wasn’t just making it up. The imagery was subtle and so well done that everyone could relate to them and that makes it even better.

In hearing Jo speak about the books, I always get the feeling that she sometimes doesn’t realize some of the things that she put in and just how powerful it is. And that’s not a bad thing, not a criticism at all. The best books are those that take a reader beyond the basic story of the book, allowing the reader to be immersed in a new world, but one that includes all of us as the individuals that we are. In all the Harry Potter books, Jo has made room for everyone, while still telling the story she envisioned. That’s the best part of it all.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I agree with whoever above said something about not believing the Snape/Lily connection (before DH, of course) because it was too “cliche”— I too thought that, and was semi-mortified at the idea that it could actually be TRUE, but once I read it I was surprised to find that it didn’t bother me. In fact, it helped unite the story and . . . gasp . . . even made me a little teary-eyed!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks a lot! But it’s La Gazette, not “La Gazetter”. “La Gazette du Sorcier” is the French translation for “The Daily Prophet” in the HP series.

Avatar Image says:

Eeyore It is good to see you again. I thought you had left us. Come see us at the poll.

OOP is tied with POA for my favorities. POA had me crying at Taco Time when I realized that Harry was hearing his mother’s screams, and the word play and the complex story line was what hooked me on HP. BUT the new angry Harry of OOP is wonderful. Not only is there the PTSD of all he has been through, but his behavior is so typical of 15 year old hormonal boys it is sometimes laughable.

To whomever that commented on Evanna Lynch. I believe that she had been corresponding with Jo as a fan long before she was cast for Luna. I am not sure that they had spoken, but some one her vibes certainly passed through to Jo.

Avatar Image says:

I worked out Snape loves Lily on book six because it was the theory that made the most sense. It gave him a motive and made Snape interesting. The whole remorse thing never came up in my mind though, I just thought Dumbledore had made an unbreakable vow with him and ordered to kill him by the end of book six, which is why he trusted him so much. The whole withering arm bit was a big clue that Dumbledore wanted to die so I also had that as one of my theories. I did not believe that Harry was a horcrux because I figured if he was, he couldn’t be any longer because Voldemort had recovered his bit of soul from him in book four.

The two things I liked the most was the wand thing working out for Harry in the end. Voldemort was so above him in power that there was no way Harry should survive in an honest duel against him. There HAD to be a trick. There HAD to be something he could use. Love being so powerful was a downer for me at first because I thought she might use it as some sort of destructive force when love is completely the opposite. When it turns out he ended up pulling the same spell his mother did on him on the rest of his friends because of his sacrifice, it all worked out far better. Love as protection makes far more sense than love as some sort of death beam from a wand.

Oh, and I thought that in the final battle he’d use the stone to call the ghosts of his parents and dead friends to FIGHT against Voldemort, not to give him the courage to enter the forest. I even thought he’d end up calling the ghosts of Hogwart’s founders to help him. That would have been one heck of a battle but she chose a more emotional path instead.

Avatar Image says:

My favorite part of OOtP was when George (testing the skiving snackboxes) was projectile vomiting into a bucket and then beaming, arms held wide, to protracted applause. I wish that could have been in the movie. Hilarious. Just like I wish in HBP they would include the part where Harry is magically re-filling the liquor bottles to keep Slughorn and Hagrid drinking so Harry can get the secret from Slughorn. It’s these funny little touches that make the books so great, and I wish more of them could be included in the movies.

Avatar Image says:

Sue, I always loved OotP. Of all the books, I read that one the most, and I really enjoyed it. I thought I was in a complete minority in liking it a lot, and it is nice to see so many others that like it. I love it that JK thought of Evanna while writing book 7, I bet she’s thrilled. Evanna is definitely how I imagined Luna, and it’s great that she’s such a potterhead :)

Avatar Image says:

Wait, so Snape and Dumbledore were important?! Wow, never picked up on that one. Good thing she explained that in an interview, cause from the books, it’s not entirely clear!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, please – I really hope Jo doesn’t touch OotP! I am one of those weird people who really dislike when writers/directors go back and “improve” their original works. Like when George Lucas redid the original Star Wars trilogy. I have VHS tapes of the original before he went back and “remastered” the movies and I will literally cry my eyes out when I finally wear out those tapes. You can’t get them on DVD.

I came late into reading the HP series, and got a boxed set of the first 6 as a gift. After reading all of them (in 10 days) my friend wanted to know which was my favorite. OotP was – hands down. It still is even after reading DH!

Please, please—don’t change a word, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

When Jo said she wants to, “tighten up Order of the Phoenix,” she means she wants to fix it up, considering the fact that it was incredibly long and she really wanted to fix things on it and make it shorter—which she said in an interview.

Avatar Image says:

So she finally confirmed things that the Snape fans have been saying for years while mud has been flying at them – thanks!

I agree that she should have explained this more thoroughly to WB.

I hope she never revises OotP, which is my favorite book. I’m sorry, but it is, and that’s because it is the very one in which Snape’s story begins to show it’s importance. I have believed strongly that the last three books are really the Snape/Harry story, and now I know that’s true.

Avatar Image says:

aww Evanna!! she is the perfect Luna.

Avatar Image says:

Also, if she wants to make OotP “shorter,” then I hardly see the point of writing an encyclopedia to add more stuff.

I think OotP is fine the way it is – what would anyone want taken out of it?

My favorite is POA

It was the one that got me hooked.

OOTP was one of my least favorites for a while. The primary reason being Sirius’s death. I had to work thru my period of mourning :-)

What a fantastic author Jo is…

FANTASTIC!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Snape is not good. He is mean and small man. He took all his malice out on an innocent child, treated poor Neville like dirt and continually degraded both Hermonie and Ron. He played favorites and had no forgiveness in him He had one saving grace that he loved Lilly and because of her he would keep their child safe. If he were truly a good guy, he would have loved Harry because of her. He didn’t treat Harry, who as Dumbeldore said has more of his mother’s character. He didn’t bother to find out was totally nasty to him because he looked like James. This is a good guy.

Avatar Image says:

Snape is not good. He is mean and small man. He took all his malice out on an innocent child, treated poor Neville like dirt and continually degraded both Hermonie and Ron. He played favorites and had no forgiveness in him He had one saving grace that he loved Lilly and because of her he would keep their child safe. If he were truly a good guy, he would have loved Harry because of her. He didn’t treat Harry right who as Dumbeldore said has more of his mother’s character. He didn’t bother to find out ,was totally nasty to him from the first day because he looked like James. This is a good guy.

Avatar Image says:

OH i cant wait for the Scottich book to be published. I have so many questions and so my “ifs” in my head that i cant wait to be anwsered. I wonder if she will answer/include questions from fans if they are valid…........ hmmmmmmmmm….

Live, Love, Harry Potter!! (and Jo)

Avatar Image says:

after the 6th book when snape killed dumbledore, i was completly in shock. i have always known snape was good, but that kind of threw me off. i am glad i was right about snape to begin with. and what is all the crap about dumbledore being harry from the future? it is such a stupid rumor. it doesn’t fit into the story line at all. i wonder what she wants to tighten up in the OOTP. i think the movie needs more tightening than the book. i was so mad when i saw the movie. they almost completly cut out the parts with kreature. and copletly cut out dobby. anyway cant wait to hear more about the encyclapedia.

Avatar Image says:

OotP was my least favourite for a while and I never could work out why… it’s got a special place in my heart though, what with me and my schoolfriends’ wild theorising after GoF that Snape loved Lily and that James was a git :D Snape and Dumbledore are two of my favourites, definitely. I may possibly love them more than the trio because they’re so fantastically flawed and I relate to that better… Haha, I guess Jo’s theories about people who love OotP best being a bit dark and odd don’t play out so well.

Avatar Image says:

I love OOTP, it’s my favourite along with DH. I always thought it was so rich and fast-paced but ya Jo’s right I think when she says that only a minority prefer the fifth book over the others. And about Luna and Evanna – it’s so true! Every time I read the books, she’s the only actor I picture as a character.

Avatar Image says:

Can anyone figure out what question 2 is? JK seemed genuinely shocked at the question and despite her answer I cant figure out what she is answering. Help, its really aggravating me!!

I always felt OOTP was an enigma in that storywise it is my 2nd favourite book. but it is the weakest in terms of narrative (imho). The pacing was quite tedious and I think that is what JK is probably referring to when she says “tighten up”. i am sure she does not dislike her book but she just felt she could have told the story better. OOTP is still a fantastic book, it just happens to be the weakest for me.

Avatar Image says:

@pigwidgeon: I could not agree with you more. Come on, WB, more Snape!

Avatar Image says:

i know get bashed for saying this, but even though snape was a hero, and in love with harry’s mom and all that, i still dont like him all that much. he’s just so…mean.

@ Carlye

I’m a little sympathetic towards Snape. I mean, he had a hard life. And he made some bad decisions, but he got a raw deal in every aspect of his life. No one paid for their mistakes as much as Snape did. Snape made the ultimate contribution with absolutely NO reward and no one to thank him for it. He basically was a poor kid who got picked on by a bunch of rich kids at school, temporarily losing his temper and therefore losing the love of his life to those same rich kids who were picking on him. Um, yeah he was probably a little bitter. Snape made all the same sacrifices that James did (basically giving his life for Lily), only he did it all knowing she didn’t even care for him. He would have been much better off if he HADN’T loved Lily. A very tragic figure. That being said, I still rooted against him through most of the books just like most people probably did. But you can at least understand why he wasn’t the most happy-go-lucky individual.

Avatar Image says:

Sue, OotP is my favourite after DH. None of the rest come close to those two. I literally couldn’t put it down when reading it (except for the Grawp chapter), I found it so intense. It also backed up everything I had been expecting Harry to feel and experience at that point in his life, so it just felt absolutely right to me. The two

About Evanna, it’s funny but I didn’t see or hear her at all throughout the fifth and sixth book at all. But after seeing her in the film I couldn’t help but picture and hear her in DH.

Avatar Image says:

Love the interview, as always Jo shines. What I dont understand is why wont anyone ask her anything about Tales of Beedle the Bard? Even our Podcast trio failed to ask her anything last xmas.

And why IS James Graduin a funny name?

And what the heck is up with Jo’s continuously naughty insinuation of Aberforth and his goat?!? Good lord, girl, steady on!!

Avatar Image says:

“I like Aberforth. And his goat. [laughing] Yeah, Dumbledore pales into insignificance.” – LMAO. Naughty woman!

I suppose it’s visible from PoA onwards, though I didn’t give it serious thought until OotP, but I’d suspected that Snape had loved Lily because his hatred for Harry seemed so irrational, it seemed to go beyond even taunting a former bully’s son. And then I forgot all about it while reading and was like wtf?

Avatar Image says:

I agree on the DD and Snape thing. I had Snape pegged pretty much since the beginning….. the only thing that gets me is in the movies ” Snape should never be comic relief,,,smacking books over heads, etc. He is a mean person, faithfull to Dumbledore but mean…... shouldnt take liberties with him…...........i look forward to the sixth movie, should have more Snape.

Avatar Image says:

No matter what Jo says, I don’t think she had the majority of the plot planned out beforehand. You can definitely tell that she had some things planned, but most things were clearly not (or she just never hinted at them before, which just seems stupid). Snape and Dumbledore are only two characters/plotlines in a very long series. They, along with small things here and there, don’t justify Jo’s claim that she planned.

If you have SEVENTEEN YEARS to plan something, I expect something a little more elaborate and interconnected than what she ended up giving us.

Avatar Image says:

Great interview! I love how there’s still so much interesting stuff for her us to tell even 9 months after the book has come out. I wasn’t surprised at all at hearing that Evanna is the only actor she has thought about while writing the books because my Luna looked like Evanna before I had even seen the OOTP. It’s crazy! I mean she IS Luna. I don’t think she’s ever not Luna. She acts like that even when they’re not filming and absolutely love it. It’s like one of JKR’s character’s got up and walked out of the book.

And I don’t see Alan Rickman when I read either, my Snape is alot more nastier and meaner. But Alan Rickman’s voice is what I hear when I read Snape. I do sort of see Dan, Rupert and Emma though. Cause I kind of started reading the books after I saw the first movie. But my Harry and Ron are taller and my Ron is skinnier.

Avatar Image says:

I always knew my man had alot to do with the main story- now they know who to focus on more for the 7th and 8th movies. OOTP is my favorite book as well, the one I cant stand is the 4th, I dont like all that boring triwizard tournament stuff, that is all the book is about. I respect them all though, you cant have a series with one of them missing. Snape is NOT Bad!!!

Avatar Image says:

i thought the interview was great. always new there was a real good reson for DD to trust snape without ? even though nobody else even when he killed DD!! it just made sense that DD was in on it. dint guess the lily connection i was completly surprised, i did enjoy ootp it kind of set up the next 2 books. upset about the movies leaving out some of what i thought were signifigant details like in poa about james animagus is a stag makes sense why harrys patronus is a stag and no mention of the locket being found at sirius’s house. if you haven’t read the books are you suppose to know it was there. also preferred the look of the dementors in aop then ootp. i thought they looked more like what jo described in her books in aop. also cant help visualising the late R harris as DD when i read he was as perfect a DD as Evanna was a luna all in i think WB did a great job of casting the characters excepet for bellatrix i was a little disappointed with her appearence thought they could have made her look alot more like her character sleek ,hauty and evil. cant wait for the encyclapedia it should be great. also so glad they are going to do DH in 2 parts better that then leaving so much sould have done it with gof and ootp who knows maybe even hbp. well we will soon see.. cant wait for november

It must feel good to be Evanna Lynch reading that. :D

Avatar Image says:

Snape is to be pitted, but, as Jo has already said he isn’t much of a nice person. He is a person who took great enjoyment in bullying an innocent boy (Neville) This is something people can’t forget. He was good in the end, but there can be no excuse for his treatment of students, who shall we say were not Slytherin. When I finished DH, I was baffled at how he could have so much love for Lily, yet treat her son like a piece of dirt. Took me a while to get round that fact, but, I think he resented Harry. Maybe he tried to put blame on Harry for her death, when in fact he was to blame.

Avatar Image says:

In an interview, JKR said that Snape despised Harry because Harry was the living embodiment of Lily’s preference for another man.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah I know. I was just writing aloud, what I was thinking at the time of finishing DH ; )

Avatar Image says:

Haha, Vandy, I always thought Snape loved Lily, too, ever since the moment I read OotP. But I was in denial, too, although I loved the idea. :D. JKR shouldn’t worry about why we worked it out, though. For me, it was in what he DIDN’T say about Lily that made me pretty damn sure he had something for her. He would have a good insult for a pat of butter if it even looked at him, yet he never mentioned Lily’s name-not once-until The Prince’s Tale. :-)

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully in the encyclopedia she will write more about Dumbledore and Grindelwald. Was it a mutual relationship?

Avatar Image says:

jkr is so bloody full of herself. for a supposed very important character, she sure treated him like crap, wrote him crapily and treats her fans that don’t hate him like crap. That all her “good characters” we’re supposed to admire didn’t emotionally mature, are good only because of how they were sorted, are ‘good’ even though they are often worse bullies than nasty ol snape- really it is just sickening. at the end, they’ve won a world that is hetero-normative, the girls sit back and wait for their men and then reproduce like bunnies, the only good gay character is an asexual dead one, and every example of homophobia in the Celluloid Closet can be found in the HP books. I had high hopes early in the series, but I am glad that I read the ‘carpet!version’ of book 7 and didn’t spent a penny on the actual book, nor will i on any of the movies. JKRs books teach intolerance and sexism, and it is a shame the media hyped them to a point that people are afraid to seriously criticise them in the mainstream.

Avatar Image says:

Neil said “When I finished DH, I was baffled at how he could have so much love for Lily, yet treat her son like a piece of dirt.”

Well, Lily treated Snape like crap- she didn’t give him chance to explain himself, she refused to help when he needed it, she defended people who hexed/bullied for fun as opposed to snape’s hexing for self defense… yet we are told that love was lily’s greatest gift. Bull. if lily was the epitome of love, the snape’s toughness on harry was just as shining of an example.

Laughing man:

Don’t forget … JK & Evanna corresponded before Luna was cast (As a younger child, she constantly wrote to J.K. Rowling, and in one such letter the youngster commented how much she would love to act in a Harry Potter film but doubted this would happen as she lived in “this sleepy little place called Termonfeckin, where nothing ever happened”. To Lynch’s surprise, Rowling replied, saying “Don’t be too hard on Termonfeckin; it does have a brilliant name! And I come from a very sleepy place”.[*]

... I have always had a theory in my own mind that Evanna was the inspiration for Luna.

Or you could always fall back on theory that HP is really a documentary and JK is the official documentarian (is that a word) ... and Luna/Evanna is one of those wizards who prefers to live in both worlds and has Hermione’s time turner (although she does a good job at keeping muggles from seeing the magic :-)

• a b First Interview with Lynch Family (English). The Tubridy Show. RTÉ Commercial Enterprises Limited (2006-02-15). Retrieved on 2007-08-01.
Avatar Image says:

OotP was my absolute favorite of all the books. Although DH is a close second. I don’t think there is anything in it that should have been different. The only part I didn’t like was when Sirius died. Even though I understand why that happedned, I still cried. I loved all the books, but that one is the best in my opinion. I also think Evanna Lynch is the perfect Luna. I picture her when I read the book. I don’t think anyone else could be her. It must make her feel good to hear Jo say that. And as for Snape…I always thought he was good. Even when he killed Dumbledore in HBP I knew there was a reason and that he would turn out to be on the Order’s side. That doesn’t mean I like the way he treated Harry, but I’ve always sorta liked his character.

Avatar Image says:

Tim, what I’ve gotten from all the questions she’s answered about that ‘friendship’ was that Grindelwald would have milked Dumbledore’s feelings for him for all he could get, just because DD was a smart kid who could help him with his plans of domination. It definitely wasn’t a requited thing, though. Kind of like with Snape and Lily, only Lily wasn’t an evil genocidal nutcase.

Avatar Image says:

FYI, I didn’t mean to imply that Lily milked her friendship with Snape. I was just pointing out how both Snape and Dumbledore both experience the whole unrequited love monster.

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree with JKR, that Evanna is absolutely perfect for Luna…It´s just quit annoying that she (Evanna) doesn´t know how to step out of character during interviews. But just keep speaking in the same whispering voice..So yes Evanna IS Luna…(literally)

Avatar Image says:

I guessed the “Snape loves Lily” theory after reading the interview Jo gave to Melissa and Emerson after the release of HBP. When she responded to that “has Snape ever been in love?” question.

And yeah, Snape and Dumbledore were definitely crucial to the plot! And I’m glad she waited till book 7 to tie up that loose end, because it fit together so well!

About Evannah, COMPLETELY agree! They just couldn’t have found a more perfect Luna! It was like destiny that she landed up at the auditions!

I love Jo’s interviews! Each new interview has some new information! It’s fabulous that she’s still left so much for us to discuss!

Avatar Image says:

Sue, I was wondering the same thing! OotP is my favourite book after DH, mainly because of the number of details we got in it, but I think Jo’s always felt it could’ve been better-edited, perhaps to keep with the pace of the story or something. I mean, the narrative was pretty slow. As for being dark, I think it had enough light-hearted moments, but it had a lot more darkness compared to the other books. I mean, HBP had a lot of humour in it, and the big blow only came in the end when Dumbledore died. But in OotP, you had Mr. Weasley being attacked, and very nearly killed, and Sirius’ death. I swear, I cried for more than hour after I read Sirius’ death scene, and was in mourning for nearly a week, it was that bad! And Jo had planned on killing Mr. Weasley in this book, but he got a reprieve (sp?). I think there were two deaths planned originally in OotP, but Mr. Weasley finally didn’t die, thankfully.

Avatar Image says:

Sue, Anne, others … OOTP is one of my favorites, as well. It’s so satisfyingly long! I’ve edited for a living and appreciate good, tight writing, but I love HP so much that I never want the stories to end. I never understood the shocked reaction many readers had to Harry’s emotional journey in the book. How could he not have reacted that way? The book is dark, but that’s what made it so good.

Avatar Image says:

The problem is, is that Michael Gambon isn’t playing Dumbledore how he’s suppose to be played, so in the 7th film when they reveal that Dumbledore actually had this dark side to him, it’s not going to be so much of a shock factor like it was in the book since Michael Gambon already plays Dumbledore kinda… RAWRish. =/ And they don’t give Snape enough screen time to build up the Lily/Snape/Harry thing. So I don’t know how they’re going to make up for it.

Avatar Image says:

I though the theory about Dumbledore being from the future was about Ron not Harry?

Avatar Image says:

It was pretty cool with the Weasley’s accountant cousin’s daughter, cant wait to read about that come the Scottish book

P.S. How psyched are you Leaky that everyone refers to it as the Scottish Book now after your scoop?

Avatar Image says:

HAY!!! Has anyone got a crown 4 this auther she’s the queen of the writing world!!! Ihope deer Evanna is feeling gratefull- cos i would be!! Odment Blubber &Tweek.

Avatar Image says:

i create my own theory long before DH that Snape hates Harry so much because he is the reflection of James Potter, the man who owns Lily’s heart! I was like I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! when i read DH. Love you, Jo

Avatar Image says:

Someone said Lily treated Snape as piece of dirt. You need to go back and read the Prince Tale. Lily never said one mean word to Snape. She stood up to James, who was picking on him, only for Severus to spit in her face by calling her Mudblood. Then when he tried to apologise, Lily threw the accusation that just because he had never called her it before then, he had called every other Muggle born at Hogwarts, a Mudblood, and Snape never denied it. Also Lily knew Snape wanted to be a Death Eater. Whould you be friends with someone who wants to be that?!

Avatar Image says:

I’d rather be friends with snape than lily…. lily didn’t give second chances or opportunity to explain oneself or to apologise. Lily stuck up for bullies that were tormenting someone for fun, and refused to give any leeway to the victim who trying to defend himself and hold onto what dignity he had while being stripped in front of the school. his slip in behaviour was excusable- james, sirius’ remus’ peter’s and lily’s was not.

Avatar Image says:

In the beginning of OOTP when Aunt Petunia refers to “that awful boy” a lightbulb went off in my head. Snape! I just knew she was referring to our dear Severus. From there I just knew that Snap, Lily and Petunia had known each other for a long time and that Snape loved Lily.

That one sentence spoken by Petunia in OOTP made it all clear as a bell to me. Why else would Snape have so resented little Harry? Harry reminded him of everything Snape loved and lost.

Avatar Image says:

oh and btw, if lily’s great gift was love, and if harry’s great gift was love, they never should have turned their backs on snape. jkr set this up as lily=mary and harry=jesus, right down to the temptation and resurrection… but jesus, who also had a great gift to love, loved EVERYONE and didn’t turn his back on lepers, prostitutes, thieves, murderers, etc. if they didn’t immediately follow in his footsteps, he still stuck by them out of love and for guidance.

Avatar Image says:

Na I’m sure that JK did not set Harry Potter up to mimic the bible. Your comments are so rubbish they’re laughable. Oh and btw Harry did not turn his back on Snape he named a son after him didnt he?! I think your a bit confused…

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, naming his son after snape really helped snape loads. they couldn’t be arsed to even attempt to heal him (even if they couldn’t save him, the right thing to do would have been to try); hermione had that pounch of stuff and patched ron right up.

I’d say the media-created popularity of a story in which the characters have no moral development, in which bullies are praised as the good guys, in which heternormative values are shoved down our throats, the only safe queer is an asexual dead one, that you are judged good or bad by what house you’re sorted into and your efforts can’t change your change at salvation, trucks can drive through the plot holes, and the story ends with the hero wondering if his SLAVE will bring him a sandwhich was laughable…. but truly it is sad that this generation praises this book for its message on “tolerance”. Our society seems to have taken a giant step backwards.

Avatar Image says:

I must say, the Snape people have some how become even more angry and defensive than before the books came out. At an interview JK told a kid that Snape isn’t really a good guy. He’s on the right side, but for the wrong reasons. Your rationalization of a man who threatened to poison a boy’s pet as “a little bitter” is laughable. So you were right about Snape’s infatuation (not love) of Lily. Get over him please (and yourselves).

Avatar Image says:

You seem to have a reading problem. Snape was only one of many complaints I listed about the unhealthy messages in the books.

Avatar Image says:

Oh and it doesn’t matter what side snape (or anyone else) is on or why when it comes down to the other characters doing the right thing. jkr doesn’t seem to really grasp the concept of love

Avatar Image says:

Go on then, tell us all what the concept of love really is. You mention Lily stuck up for bullies, what about Snapes friends who used dark arts on others, in which Snape labelled as just some joke. Do you excuse that?

Avatar Image says:

Oh! How I long for that encyclopedia. But I will be patient. Like a good wine must be drunk when it is time, at its best, I will be patient and be ready to enjoy it to the last word.

Take your time Jo, and make it good.

Avatar Image says:

You have some reading comprehension problems; no where did I stand up for Snape’s death eater friends. I criticised the behaviour of the characters JKR claims are good and gifted with love.

Avatar Image says:

Na you are toatlly barking up the wrong tree. Snape was NOT a nice guy but he was capable of love which enabled him to do the right thing in the end. You disagree that HP promotes ‘tolerance’ of others and are obviously obsessed with Snape but Snape was hardley tolerant! He judged others on whether there parents were wizards or not and absolutley refuses to like Harry just because he reminds him of James. You are totally contradicting yourself and yes your comments are laughable. Oh and if you really hate Harry Potter so much why are you on this website?!

Avatar Image says:

na you crazy loon please please please go away and inflict your paranoid babble somewhere else. Sigh…I pray for a miracle.

Avatar Image says:

Well name calling, casting insults, putting words in another’s mouth, twisting words, and refusing to discuss in a mutually respectful manner are hardly ways to show good character, let alone love for your fellow humans. But JKR and mass media have not provided you with any significant role models, so I’ll forgive you and pray for you.

Avatar Image says:

Oh and by saying that people dont look deeper then what the ‘marketing system’ tells them umm dont you mean JKR the author? lol

Avatar Image says:

na through all that nonsense you’ve just come out with, you still haven’t told me what the real concept of love is

Avatar Image says:

I think everybody should just ignore him/her. Na obviously has serious issues and by entering a HP fan website and then insulting the author and her books he is obviously looking for attention. So na I think your the one who needs praying for and seriously get a hobby!

Avatar Image says:

You talk about “mutually respectful manner” I so far haven’t seen it from you, you hypocrite. Also you don’t need to pray for me. Jo’s doing it for me ; )

Avatar Image says:

a person can enjoy the world created by an author, some of the characters, concepts etc but dislike the messages or the ending of the story. it isn’t an all or nothing thing. it is a shame that issues in a book cannot be explored without attacking a person for not loving everything about the book and author without question. if i was an author, i would want readers to do that to my work because it demonstrates critical, mature and independent thinking.

ha ha me too neil ; )

Avatar Image says:

@ na by telling people they have a ‘reading problem’, by criticising their education and depth of understanding with the books you have hardly demonstrated a ‘mature’ way of thinking. Neil is right you are a hypocrite. Others have tried to explore the issues you have raised within the book but you have pointedly ignored there questions. You attack JKRs perception of love and yet fail to explain your understanding of it when questioned. I myself have questioned your idea of ‘tolerance’ that you raised earlier and you responded by being completely patronising and once again ignoring the issue I raised. You act like you have a moral highground but you really dont. You refuse to back up your own comments while taking offense when people question them.

Avatar Image says:

I began answering some of those things and got smart assed replies, go back and read

Avatar Image says:

I have to agree with na about Lily v. Snape. If you compare their sacrifices: Lily sacrificed her life for her son, who at least loved her back; Snape sacrificed his life for a woman who basically dogged him and then went and got herself a sugar daddy. Who’s love was deeper? Who’s sacrifice was more selfless? No, Lily didn’t even deserve Snape.

Avatar Image says:

I had the pleasure of being at this event,it wasn’t the James Joyce Awards,it was a special presentation of The James Joyce Award.It was very entralling.The funniest part was when she did the reading it the voices!oh and when she was asked about why she didn’t reveal Dumbledore’s sexuality before now.

Avatar Image says:

it is a disturbing moral message in the books that the Slytherins are bad, and that the good guys are always good, even when they use Unforgivable Curses. McGonagall even congratulates Harry for using a curse on someoen who simply spat at her.

The Sorting Hat said in Book 5 that the all the Houses must come together in order for Hogwarts to survive, However, that never comes to pass. After Pansy’s outburst McGonagall says to leave but doesn’t ask if any of the Slytherins want to stay; it seems like she’s condemning them all for Pansy’s actions and throwing all of them out of the school. Later, Voldemort says that the Slytherins came over to him. The implication is that the Slytherins are all bad and side with the Death Eaters. And yes, JKR said in a Pottercast interview that some of the Slytherins came back to fight. However, it was not written into the book. not everyone who reads the book is going to have heard the interview. If author did not intend to give the above impression, that is a flaw in the writing, and she should have stated clearly that some of the Slytherins did indeed fight in the battle.

The issue of the Unforgivables also troubles me. Since Book 4, we have been told how terrible and evil these spells are. And yet Harry and his allies seem to be using them without much thought or any apparent regret. I was appalled when he cast a Crucio on Amycus Carrow. Previously, he could not cast a Crucio on Bellatrix, even knowing that she caused Sirius’s death, and yet he so easily casts one on Carrow, just for spitting on McGonagall! we never see him feeling any regret or doubt about it, and we never see anyone else-such as an adult, who should know better-express any concern, either. McGonagall, in fact, calls his actions “gallant”. This very disturbing, especially in a children’s book—what message is the book sending? That torturing people is bad if the Death Eaters do it, but it’s okay if the good guys do it to the Death Eaters?

Avatar Image says:

I have gone back and read Na and I really think that once again you have avoided answering peoples queries. @SympathyfortheSnape I dont think anybody is knocking what Snape did. He is actually my favourite character. But what you failed to mention is that Snape, while he clearly loved Lily deeply, he was the one who ultimately brought about her death. I think his sacrifice should be ‘more selfless’.

Avatar Image says:

in Deathly Hallows we were to see the conclusion – the ultimate moral to the story …

That suicide is to be glorified with titles (Master of Death), rewards (protective charms) and the support of the victim’s mother. Harry states specifically to DD at Kings Cross, “I intended that he kill me”. His intention was to die, thus his actions were taken in an attempt to end his own life, thus suicidal.

That it is ok to hold slaves as long as you treat them nicely. We are left with image of the good guys being beneficent owners of the happy slaves (an abhorrent image we have abandoned decades ago). The story’s ending is disgusting with Harry wondering if his slave would bring him a sandwich. Would not the image of Harry hugging Kreacher and thanking him for leading the elves charge against the Death Eaters been so difficult to write?

And that our hero can unrepentantly do “unforgivable” things without consequence or regret. There are so many times when DH presents “greater good” ends justifying the means. Harry’s suicide attempt. His crucio. DD’s euthanasia. Curses used at Gringotts. Knocking out people to facilitate getting into the Ministry. Holding slaves. On and on and on.

Avatar Image says:

I think Na that you are conveniently forgetting that Harry and co spend most of the books trying to disarm their oponants not torture them. I’m sure ‘Expelliarmus’ came up once…

Avatar Image says:

“All was well”, even though the epilogue proved that nothing had changed and not even The Trio had learned anything about bigotry, prejudice and assumptions.

Avatar Image says:

Okay na I’ve heard what you had to say and I totally disagree with it but lets face it, nothing I say would alter your opinion whatsoever. In fact it kinda reminds me of those super religious people who blame Harry Potter for all thats wrong with the world. If you dont like it dont read it but dont try and poison the minds of fans who clearly love Harry Potter since we are on this website.

Avatar Image says:

I disagree with most of what na is saying, but I’m not going to even bother getting into that whole mess. But you can’t just write Snape off so easily. He was in agony, which is why he was such a nasty personality to deal with.

Avatar Image says:

Missing from ‘Harry Potter” – a real moral struggle Without inner conflict, the hero’s tale was hollow. http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0725/p09s02-coop.html

The culmination of the Harry Potter series reads like the scrabbling of a Cultural Christian, trying to construct a moral framework out of fragments of doctrine she does not entirely understand or believe…. Rowling so clearly wanted to say something big about faith, about love, and about death, but all she has managed to do is communicate her own confuson. [sic] http://www.ferretbrain.com/articles/article-161.html

Avatar Image says:

Love is charitable, selfless, altruistic, and and unconditional; it is not lust.

Harry rarely shows love, particularly when it is most important for a hero to do so. Lily also fails in showing love except for harry. James, peter, Sirius, etc fail at it.

Avatar Image says:

How shaky is your appreciation for HP that you find criticism akin to poison

Avatar Image says:

It is not shaky at all na. Thats all I have to say on the matter. I do not agree with your opinions, I find your attitude and beliefs ridiculous and I wish very much that I never engaged in any sort of communications with you. It is a waste of time.

Avatar Image says:

Ah, differing opinions labelled as ridiculous and a waste of time – I see that JKR’s message of tolerance is in action.

Avatar Image says:

About Harry using the Unforgiveable curses: Look what he’s been through his whole life – almost murdered as a baby, parents dead, raised by people who imprisoned and abused him, almost killed again by Voldy 1st year of school, hated by a teacher from age 11 without ever really knowing why, lost all his arm bones, almost killed 2nd year by a basilisk, attacked by dementors several times in his 3rd year, met and lost his godfather within a few hours (didn’t see him again in person for two years), 4th year – put into triwizard tournament and almost dies several times, captured by Wormtail and Voldy – friend dies, blood taken, tortured; back at Hogwarts almost killed again by Fake Moody, no communication over the Summer, painful scar episodes, mentally possesed by Voldy, tortured by Umbridge, sees godfather killed – Finally – first attempt at unforgiveable curse and fails, then actually possesed and almost killed by Voldy at Ministry. We still have two books to go – after seeing yet another parent figure killed in Dumbledore he tries to use the curses again (and fails). Final book – on the run after the wedding, months apparating in and out of villages to search for horcruxes, locket seared to chest, almost drowns, attacked by Nagini, captured to Malfoy Manor, people killed all around, WAR – and I know I haven’t got all of the pain, torture and loss listed – it’s a wonder he never used the curses before! He’s not supposed to be perfect, and in the end, he’ll do anything to end it.

Avatar Image says:

that’s fine, harry doesn’t have to be god-like perfect- but mcgonagal PRAISING him for it sends a negative message. id have no complaint on this topic is harry cast the curse and McG warned him not to slip into the ways of his enemies.

(and my family having lived through war, i will say that the experience provides explanation for such bad behaviour, but it is not an excuse or justification for it)

Avatar Image says:

Na, I was not going to get involved here, but I cannot help myself. You seem very young dear, with a major chip on your shoulder. You have to realize that many people have suffered losses – of family members, children (has to be the worst), parents, friends, suicides; countless have lived through wars and conflict; people get sick, this is what happens in life, and unless you are very lucky, you will eventually suffer from something that brings you pain and sadness. But – that’s why we have things like books to take us away from the real world. It’s a book, a fantasy, it was first and foremost written as entertainment. It’s not meant to be a moral compass such as the Bible. Religion works for some, but not all. You have to also learn the art of when to end an argument, otherwise, people start to get defensive and just tune you out. And your argument style is combative, you are attacking people because you think that they are wrong and you are right. You will understand more as you get older.

Avatar Image says:

You don’t know my age, or what experiences i’ve lived through, but the examples you gave probably would have been a walk in the park. In fact, this was the first time in this conversation that i chuckled.

JKR didn’t say she wrote this first and foremost for entertainment- she did say she intended a message with it, and it is fair to critique if she succeeded or failed at that.

Avatar Image says:

Further, i didn’t set out to attack anyone… i stated my opinions on JKR/HP and other’s took personal offense and attacked me. It’s not my fault if people can’t tell the difference between a criticism about a book and an attack on their own person.

I began with: “jkr is so bloody full of herself. for a supposed very important character, she sure treated him like crap, wrote him crapily and treats her fans that don’t hate him like crap. That all her “good characters” we’re supposed to admire didn’t emotionally mature, are good only because of how they were sorted, are ‘good’ even though they are often worse bullies than nasty ol snape- really it is just sickening….”

And I got replies like this:

“Your comments are so rubbish they’re laughable…” doodle

“Snape isn’t really a good guy… Get over him please (and yourselves).” -Snapesajerk

“You are totally contradicting yourself and yes your comments are laughable. Oh and if you really hate Harry Potter so much why are you on this website?!” -tintanktonks

Avatar Image says:

The loss of a child is never a “walk in the park” and if you can chuckle at that I agree with the person who said communicating with you is a waste of time.

Avatar Image says:

i was chuckling at your ignorance to my life/experience. And there are, to borrow a phrase from HP, things worse than death. Sometimes the death of a loved oneis a huge relief- perhaps you have some growing up to do if you don’t understand that.

Avatar Image says:

ETA: acceptance and healing from death is a ‘walk in the park’ in a literal sense to my spirituality because after burial, the soul is absorbed and reincarnated to worms, grass, trees, birds, etc. my family has a large plot at a cemetery that is essentially a wildlife preserve/park and its quite uplifting to visit

Avatar Image says:

na clearly you’re a person who has an opinion and no matter what you won’t change it, or consider the other side of an arguement. So like Sue said trying to communicate with you is a waste of time.

Avatar Image says:

clearly those here who praise JKR like the next best thing to the mother mary are people with an opinion and no matter they won’t change it, nor can they consider any sort of opinion of the HP series that is not praise

Avatar Image says:

But you got accept people disagree with you, which you have so far been unable to do. Which is way some have got a bit heated with you.

Avatar Image says:

^^EDIT: Which is why some have got a bit heated with you.

Avatar Image says:

I disagree with the books and JKR, and the general public response to the books when that response is the result of what the media or jkr has spoonfed them to think.

if someone genuinely thinks the message in HP is positive, and they show their proof for it, so be it. A calvinist in another forum did so on certain points such as the house system- I disagree with their beliefs but accept the opinion as accurate to them, and recognise that it was thought out after literally analysis and spiritual application.

It seems that people here refuse to accept my criticism of the books, simply because it is criticism, but i haven’t seen literally analysis as to how for example, McG’s praising harry for torturing someone for spitting or the hero of the story idly wondering when his slave will serve him provide positive moral messages to today’s audience.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if JKR’s books have a message or not…....but whenevr i read it i feel positive and if Im depressed or anything it always brings a smile on my face. =))

Avatar Image says:

I think Snape’s a great character I love him…...he’s my fav after the trio(Ron-Hermy are No.1) and Neville and Ginny…...

Avatar Image says:

hey na,I think Ron/Hermione show charitable, selfless, altruistic, and unconditional love…....sry dont mind me im a R/Hr freak but i think they show true love

Avatar Image says:

actually, I ship RW/HG, but I think their relationship needs A LOT of work. But they are very young, so it is to be expected.

Avatar Image says:

Na na na na na na hey hey-yey good-bye.

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself.

Anyhooo—I don’t know why, but after recently re-reading DH, I got the notion to read the series backwards. I’m just finishing HBP tonight and will start OoTP this weekend. We’ll see.

Avatar Image says:

Rhiannon said: “Eeyore It is good to see you again. I thought you had left us.”

Thank you and no, I haven’t left. I actually check for news here every day. I don’t comment much anymore, but sometimes read through the comments. In reading through the comments on this one, I’m reminded of the reason that I am not active on the forum any longer. After I finished Deathly Hallows, it was so complete for me, and I found the ending so satisfying, that I had to stop reading all the criticisms from others. Yes, I had my little nitpicks, but they weren’t important enough for me to ruin the feelings I had at the end of my favorite series of books. And I read all the time, and have all my life.

I think that one of the things that bothered me the most was Harry’s use of the Unforgivables toward the end of DH. But when I started thinking about it, it was a vivid picture of the horror of war. They were fighting for their lives and watched others being tortured or senselessly killed, and they reacted in whatever way they could think of. War has a way of dehumanizing even the best of people. Was the use of Unforgivables right? No. But that does happen in war; good, moral people make bad choices that they would ordinarily never consider. At the very end, though, in facing Voldemort, Harry did not use an Unforgivable Curse. Instead he didn’t even use a curse that was intended to harm, but used a defensive spell. A spell that would protect him, and interestingly enough, it was a spell that he had first learned from Snape. Nice touch, that one.

I found Snape to be one of the most fascinating of Rowling’s characters, because he was the most complex and his story unfolded so slowly for us. But the clues were there from the beginning. If there wasn’t something hidden in Snape’s past concerning Harry, why would Snape hate him from the first book. It was in rereading POA, though, and especially in OP that I started to see that people who saw that Snape loved Lily were right. Snape always raged against James and Sirius, sometimes against Lupin by association, but never once said a word against Lily. Harry was the one who made those jumps, assuming that Snape also hated his mother.

Snape very much resembles the character of Sydney Carton in “A Tale of Two Cities” by Dickens (another literary character who is rather nasty to others and not very likeable), and once I saw that, I knew that Snape was on some sort of sacrificial path because of his love for Lily, just as Carton willingly sacrificed himself to save Lucy and her family. That book has the best redemptive ending of any book I’ve ever read.

Lily befriended Snape when he was younger and looked a bit odd, when Petunia saw him as “that awful boy” (the other thing that convinced me that Snape loved Lily). I was glad to see that Lily returned his friendship, and that it wasn’t completely one-sided. She tried to stand up for him, and was called a horrific name (the wizarding version of a racial slur), and she did listen to him later. But in the end, she chose her own path in life just as Snape did. She saw her childhood friend getting in deeper and deeper with dark wizards that she saw as being on an evil path, and even after she talked to Snape and tried to warn him , he refused to veer from his own chosen path.

It was one of the saddest things in the books for me. Snape, with his unhappy childhood, ended up being influenced by those in his house who were happy to use his considerable talent to their own purposes. I can’t imagine that they really liked him as a person, given that he was from a poor family and was not a pure-blood. But people who have been bullied for so long and pushed out sometimes will follow anyone who gives them the promise of power. And those who are bullied sometimes become the bully, which is just what we saw with Snape. Like Dumbledore, I have to wonder, would Snape have turned out differently had he been sorted into Gryffindor or Ravenclaw? (yeah, I can’t see him in Hufflepuff at all. LOL) I think it could have made the difference because he might have been more influenced by Lily and wouldn’t have had the opportunity to spend so much time with the Lestranges and future Death Eaters.

Once he knew that he was the one responsible for Lily’s death, he did repent (just as Sydney Carton did), and then Snape spent the rest of his life trying to atone for his part in the death of the only person he ever loved or respected. But he was still the solitary soul he had been as a child and he’d never learned how to reach out to others. He still saw any emotional vulnerability as a weakness because he knew how Voldemort would use it.

And what does Snape have every day of the term for seven years (well, six really)? He sees the face of the student who bullied him just because he could, and the eyes of the one person he loved. Instead of seeing that Harry was much more like Lily than like James, Snape is stuck in that adolescent hatred. Sirius was no better, as he was never able to let go of his hatred against Snape. Neither of them had the chance to “grow up” because of the circumstances surrounding the death of Lily and James. Because of that one tragedy, Sirius ends up in Azkaban for twelve years and then in hiding for two more; Snape ends up truly regretting the part he played and repents and does what is right in trying to protect Harry. But Snape was never really able to forgive himself.

Are there any perfect characters in Harry Potter? No. That is the brilliance of the books. Jo gave us heroes and villains who are all flawed and so very human. Just as we are all flawed and very human. Jo gave us something much better than cardboard cut-outs of good guys and bad guys. In giving us realistic characters, she has also given us the opportunity to explore how people in real life interact. And she has pointed the way for seeing the wrongs in our own world through not resolving all the issues in hers.

Sorry to run on so long. I promise I won’t do it again. Well, I’ll try to refrain from it anyway. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

@tintanktonks: in my opinion, Peter Pettigrew was responsible for James’ and Lily’s deaths. He was the one to tell Voldemort the secret to lift the Fidelius charm. Snape had no idea by the time he told Voldemort about the prophecy how the latter would interpretate Trelawny’s words ! And then ultimately of course, Voldemort was responsible – he was the one to direct his wand against the Potters.

@pigwidgeon: I couldn’t agree more! The films do not really take Dumbledore’s and Snape’s importance into account at all. Hope they’ll do better in HBP and DH. There is a bit of hope though that they realize what the storyline is about: I was very happy to read that they are including Regulus Black! I think his turn from a young Voldemort follower to a person willing to give his life for bringing Voldemort down is almost as remarkable as Snape’s story and shouldn’t be ignored.

’@ Carlye: I think you are much to harsh on Snape. He was a human being, after all – I do have full understanding for his vindictive fury. And, after all, he never does anything REALLY nasty to Harry: it’s just a couple of silly detentions really!!!

@ James and eeyore: Couldn’t agree more !! I was very happy that Rowling acknowledged the two most important characters – although stating the obvious. Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated – if only to make people happy …

As for Aberforth: I love him and the way he saves the trio from the Death Eaters with his Goat Patronus. The passage is brilliantly read by Stephen Fry !!!

Yes, Evanna Lynch is brilliant. Thank you for posting about “Termoneckin” – it sounds like the perfect living place for the Lovegoods actually!!

Avatar Image says:

eyore good not agree with you more. na you really are off the mark about alot of things. by your own admission you didnt read all the books completly you might try that first before totally condemming them!!! as for snape i really liked his character not all good charaters are good people but he did do the right thing in the end. as for the trio not saving him and just watching him die that is again so off the mark hermione isn’t a healer after all. and that junk about all the bad people being in slytherine house another oops i geuss you missed that part of the book too. example slughorn was in slytherin he was also head of the house 2 times but he was not evil in fact he was there fighting you know who at the end something else you missed . also there is the statement that DD makes about thinking that they sort to soon. he was refering to snapes bravery. the people who are sorted into slytherin are put there for there ambitions to be powerful even though they tend to have a fasination with the dak arts it doesn’t mean the all were death eaters even regulas who was definatly a death eater realised that you know who was nuts. even wizards with the pureblood mentalty knew voldy was not ok and now the pat about kreacher bringing harry a sandwich saying he was treating him like a slave . what a bunch of crap harry never treated him likea slave. thats like saying if i was tired and sick and my husband brought me a sandwich or a cup of soup i was treating him like a slave. as eyore said sorry i ra on so long but i couldn’t help myself .

Avatar Image says:

i worked out that snape was a good man in his own way .. i just love snape ..he is the best thing that happened to the world i love jk rowling for the hp books .. imean our lives with no potter to read is not that cool

Avatar Image says:

Carol – I completely agree with you. Harry never treated Kreacher like a slave. And also the part about not all Slytherins being bad. Snape was not exactly a nice person but he was not evil. He ended up doing the right thing. And Slughorn was definitely not evil as he fought Voldemort and the death eaters. One part that I really disagree with Na about is when Harry used the cruciatus curse on Carrow in DH when Carrow spat on Mcgonagal. Na said that Harry only used the curse bcz he spat on her, but thats not really true. Carrow had done MUCH worse than just spitting in Mcgonagal’s face. He had also tortured and killed. It wasn’t as though Harry was doing this to an innocent person. I think Harry may have also been thinking of all the evil Carrow had done and this was just the last straw. Anyway- that’s my opinion. I think Harry was justified in his actions. Sorry I went on for so long.

Avatar Image says:

@na, just to put my oar in too, re (firstly) the “dead/asexual” nature of the books’ one gay character, Dumbledore: I notice that none of the teachers (with the exception of Hagrid) are ever written as ‘sexual’ creatures, regardless of what their sexual preferences may be – this is presumably because the story is about Harry and does not concern itself with the lives of the Hogwarts teachers, except insofar as Harry has dealings with them.

Secondly, I disagree with your comments that, whilst not explicitly gay, the character of Gilderoy Lockhart is nevertheless “effeminate” and “ineffectual” and thus supports a heteronormative and homophobic message. To my mind, Gilderoy Lockhart represents not effeminacy or “gayness” but the shallow cult of celebrity, the person who will stop at nothing to get on to the front pages; also, his winning smile seems to be chiefly for the benefit of the ladies. To lump effeminacy and “gayness” together in the manner in which you did merely stereotypes homosexuality and may point to your own sensitivities and/or prejudices.

Thirdly, whilst I agree that the predatory Fenrir Greyback operates to some degree as a metaphor for paedophilia (but not in toto – he also bites adults, such as Bill Weasley) we should remember that he bites girls too, so would be a poor metaphorical vehicle for the spread of the AIDS virus by homosexuality. I am not an expert but I find it more likely that Jo Rowling took the werewolf myth and added in the nasty twist of a werewolf that prefers to bite children in order to differentiate him from Lupin, and to stress the horror of Greyback’s nature (rather than just his condition, which Lupin of course shares); furthermore, it makes him a more threatening character, considering that the primary intended readership is children.

I agree that to some extent the books do take a traditionalist tone, in many ways they are set at least 40 years ago, particularly when we are in the wizarding world, with its steam trains, Ford Anglias, knitted jumpers, the wonder of electricity, and so on. However, Rowling often has characters challenging certain traditions and norms, such as slavery and blood (ethnic) prejudice, and thus utilises the books to highlight both the erroneousness and the stubbornness of those practices. Indeed Hermione, who is of course herself a Muggle-born of supposed ethnic inferiority, spends much of her time trying to argue against house-elf enslavement. Admittedly, despite sympathy from others, notably the fair-minded Arthur Weasley, she makes little real headway in her campaign, though she makes a start. To me, this put across a great message – that causes are worth taking up even if (or especially if) they are not easy ones that are quickly solved (hence when choosing her NEWT subject, she ponders taking SPEW, or something like it, further). If Jo wished to promote a pro-slavery viewpoint, why give that plot to Hermione, when, if she’d wanted to be dismissive about it, then surely a slightly zany character like Luna Lovegood would have been an obvious choice? No, she gives it to determined, sensible, tireless Hermione. Come to that, why would she have bothered bringing in SPEW at all?

Lastly, I don’t see the females in HP as sitting about waiting for males to marry them and make them pregnant (or however it was put). What about McGonagall? What about the other female teachers? What about Madame Maxime, who turned Hagrid down? The women and girls in HP are often highly independently minded and no more particularly inclined to relationships than their male counterparts. However, there is nothing wrong, inferior, or somehow anti-feminist about spending some of ones time having children. I have a child, I am also a PhD student and a feminist, and I consider myself neither inferior nor superior to women who undertake childless employment, exclusive mothering, or lesbianism.

Media hype of course operates on many levels, one of which is that it encourages women to imagine that they are somehow “letting the side down” if, as part of their lives, they choose to marry and dedicate themselves to being mothers. On some levels this sort of feminism can support the consumer-driven economy by implying that empowerment and employment are inextricable. So there are arguments both ways, my point being that whether we are thinking about feminism, hetero-normative ideals, the standardising ideology of individualism, or issues of traditionalism and so-called ‘radicalism’, such subjects are rarely straightforward.

As a final point on the matter, and as an example of how over-simplifying issues can lead us in directions that are not always as enlightened as we might hope: I can’t help but feel that despite the fact that billions of Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Pagans, Liberal Christians, and others around the world believe in reincarnation, I doubt that many would agree with you that the death of ones child would be like a walk in the park, merely because on some literalistic level, this is what you envisage it to entail. I would venture that on this occasion anger and, perhaps, inexperience, is blinding you to the possibilities of real compassion or understanding.

These are just my thoughts. Like Eeyore, I do not especially wish to get drawn into some protracted debate, but I hope that you feel I have addressed some of your points in a satisfactory way that also explains at least some of the exasperation and offence that some have expressed concerning your posts.

All the best to all.

Well said, ogdensnut.

Avatar Image says:

Thankyou Ogdensnut you said everything I wanted to say but was too annoyed or frustrated to put into words. I guess many minds really are better then one : )

Avatar Image says:

As much as i hate to admit it. I thought Snape was evil until after book 6 and then I started to doubt myself. I honestly still dont’ think he’s a “good” guy. I mean regardless of what we found out, he was still a bad person. That’s the main reason it didnt work out between him and Lily. But he’s not JUST a bad person. Thing I like the most about Snape is that he has alot of layers. He’s not just one thing. He’s bad, he’s “good,” he’s vindictive, he’s weak, he’s strong, he’s brave, he’s scared, and the list goes on. I think that’s why he was such a difficult character to figure out. I really hope he’s in movie 6 alot more, but I also hope Alan Rickman plays him a little meaner. I think Snape has been too tame thus far in the movies and he’s not. He’s an angry guy. He lost the woman he loved and still loves and he’s now protecting the child of his only love and the man he loathed. He should be pissed!

Avatar Image says:

I have enjoyed the HP series but there are a lot of things that do not add up. JKR could have done a better job with the books. I’m very disappointed specially with the last book. It is so monotonous, except for the end perhaps. (They spend most of the time in the forest while a lot of interesting things are happening). Hopefully “The Scottish book” will make up for the several holes that are scattered throughout the books. And could JKR slap some sense into WB and FINALLY make them see that they should give more screen time to Snape since he is So important. He is one of the most interesting characters of the book (the closest to human nature we have), yet he gets put aside time and again. I like me some Harry-Ron-Hermione, but there is no need to dedicate the entire 2+ hours to teenage angst when so much more is happening.

If i Hear One More GAY PRIDE Comment on Dumbledore i am gonna puke

we all know he and Grindawald had a Messed up Relationship so we dont realy care wether or not he did have sex with him (making his actions homosexual) Dumbledore was a much more complicate charator and Sad man with many happynesses later in life

he was 16 when he was in his tragity and evil like Voldamort

and about 116 when he was Headmaster in the first Books

So yes Dumbledore Made Mistakes Get over it

but he Loved People More then Himself

so He Denied himselfs Things like Romance and Hopefully finding a Wife

and having Children

he had his Students and Snape to Worry about Plus alot of friends and Enemys

i would Even Say mabey He was a Slytherin if i could because

That would mean He Was Right about It not being our Ability who define who we Are

but its our Choices

Wrong or Right i will be an Example for the Lord

Amen =] God Bless you Dumbledore Ignore the Rita Skeeters of the World who Post lies and Half Truths

Avatar Image says:

I sometimes hear Evanna’s voice in my head too, along with a bunch of others. Do you think they give JKR medication for that too?

Avatar Image says:

I couldn’t believe I didn’t know she was in Dublin until my mum told me the day afterwards!

Haha… I’m sorry, but Evanna IS Luna…

As for working out Sev/Lily, some people must be uber-fast on the uptake, I never saw that one coming…

Avatar Image says:

@Stella: I started to believe the whole Snape and Lily thing around the time book 6 came out and I only came up with the idea because someone in one of the forums had mentioned it and I was like, “hmmmm…that’s interesting.” but i didn’t really believe it until i read it in book 7. i wonder who came up with that idea initially cause it’s definitely not an obvious thing in the books. I sure didn’t pick up on it, especially not before book 5.

But I think everyone hears Evanna, cause there’s no other way for Luna to sound. The way Evanna talks is exactly how Luna’s voice is described in the books. i think JKR doesn’t hear or see any of the other actors because all of them are very different in real life from the characters they play in the movies and JKR knows them as who they really are. But Evanna is like Luna all the time. She’s always like her, even when she’s trying not to be. It’s freaky, but awesome!

Avatar Image says:

caleb,dumbledore was a gryffindor. it is mentioned in earlier series.

Avatar Image says:

At least no one made a reference to Soddam and Gomorrah being a town of sick dirty homosexuals. I find that one to be very far fetched and always laugh at the idea. Interesting enough there is no Greek or Hebrew word for homosexual. Christian Conservative must have stuck that one in the new international version to meet there own agenda

Avatar Image says:

At least no one made a reference to Soddam and Gomorrah being a town of sick dirty homosexuals. I find that one to be very far fetched and always laugh at the idea. Interesting enough there is no Greek or Hebrew word for homosexual. Christian Conservatives must have stuck that one in the new international version to meet there own agenda

Avatar Image says:

Snape was not a “good Man”, Someone execused his behavior by his bad childhood. Sirus has a miserable childhooh. Lemus must have be horrific. And Harry’s childhood was something out of Dickinson and would be consider child abuse. None of them went to the dark side. Being picked on by rich kids. James was the only rich kid and he saved Snape’s life. He wouldn’t be picked on if he had minded his own business. He lost Llly when he went to the dark side. If he really, really loved Lily he would have cared for her son and seen to his well being. He was a nasty git, the way he picked on Neville, Hermonie and Ron, he may have had a moment of redemption, but was not a nice man.

Write a Reply or Comment