J.K. Rowling Trust Donates to Women’s Refuge Center

Apr 05, 2008

Posted by SueTLC

A special trust set up by author J.K. Rowling has made a generous donation to a women’s aid center in Stirling, Scotland. ICPerthshire reports The Volant Trust “has awarded the charity £25,000 to help furnish its new local refuge, which is set to open shortly…The Volant Trust was set up by JK Rowling to support charitable causes and projects, nationally or community-based, at home or abroad, which alleviate social deprivation, with a particular emphasis on women’s and children’s issues.”

The Volant Trust was first established in 2002 by J.K. Rowling and has funded things such as The BRAW Network (Books Reading And Writing Campaign in Scotland), and the Edinburgh Young Carers Project in the past among others(pdf link for additional funding breakdown). The Trust also has contributed to the Children’s High Level Group (now The Children’s Voice) which readers will recall Jo founded several years ago in response to the plight of orphaned children in Eastern European countries. According to the Trust webpage, the primary areas of funding involves “donations to research into the causes, treatment and possible cures of Multiple Sclerosis, as well as charities and projects, whether national or community-based, at home or abroad, that alleviate social deprivation, with a particular emphasis on women’s and children’s issues.” One note: The name Volant is significant as it is the maiden name of Jo’s mother Anne, who lost her battle against MS shortly before the publication of her daughter’s beloved series of books.

27 Responses to J.K. Rowling Trust Donates to Women’s Refuge Center

You Go Jo![:

Avatar Image says:

jkr rocks!such a lovely lady….keep it up!

Avatar Image says:

and RDR Books and Steve Vanderark still are attacking her for being a evil, selfish greedy person.

its good to see jk rowling time and time again proves RDR wrong. off topic, apperently RDR books has been in legal battles before. justia posted a document on the 3rd that hinted that a lawyer being added to the team defending them had represented them before.

Avatar Image says:

What an absolutely fantastic woman!

Avatar Image says:

It is nice to see someone with such a vastly enormous wealth doing good. But considering where she came from, it had to have been a character building experience. Going through it myself right now putting myself through school and raising a son to boot is character building indeed! Hopefully I can help charities that mean something to me someday as well.

Avatar Image says:

Jo Rowling is such an amazing person! Every time I read an article like this I am just in awe of her. I can’t believe anyone would think of her as greedy!

Avatar Image says:

She is such an amazing person! I can’t believe that despite knowing all this, some people still call her a selfsih greedy “copyright hog” who just wants to more publicity! I mean, seriousely people, open your eyes!!

Jo, you ROCK!!
Avatar Image says:

Nice one she is such a good role madal 4 every one, hail 2 Joanne!!!!!!!!! Oddment, Blubber & Tweek.

Avatar Image says:

JK helps many charities but she usually lists them on her website. I’m surprised this one is not listed so I had no idea she founded such a charity in 2002. The other charities she supports according to her website:

Amnestity International.

One Parent Families

The MS Society

Cage Beds

The Childrens Voice

Missing Madeleine (not a charity)

Avatar Image says:

I love Jo for doing all these things, i can’t say enough how much it bugs me when celebrities don’t put their power and wealth to good causes, and she does it more then enough. She is awesome, seems like a great cause too.

Avatar Image says:

25 000?! thats a lot of money! Jo is great! She made people happy with HP books and now she’s doing all that charity work…she’s so awesome. I love her so much

what a role model

Avatar Image says:

That’s great! It’s great that Jo is still being generous. She helped her readers by writing HP, and now we are helping the people of her choice by buying her books and making her rich. This may sound silly, but I feel good about having bought the books, because some tiny fraction of the money I spent on the books may be helping some person now.

Avatar Image says:

I think there are most important problems to whom bring help and donations. Even so she uses her money for best things than other famous and writters, so we can’t complain.

Avatar Image says:

I think there are more important problems to whom bring help and donations. Even so she uses her money for best things than other famous and writters, so we can’t complain.

Avatar Image says:

GO JO! GO JO! GO JO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW many charities has she donated to now?

Avatar Image says:

It’s good that JKR gives a lot of money to charity. However, it kills me that people who are her devout fans claim this should mean any criticisms of her in other areas are wrong, when she wouldn’t agree when the fact that giving to charity necessarily makes someone a great person:

“Malfoy was cleared!” said Fudge, visibly affronted. “A very old family – donations to excellent causes – “

- GoF

Not saying she’s Lucius Malfoy, just saying that donating to charity doesn’t mean someone’s flawless and no one should be able to criticize them.

Avatar Image says:

Just wanted to note that you are who you are right now. Jo obviously was and is a very giving loving human being. But I can bet you a killion knuts she was giving before she had serious sickles to give. Give your gallions now, even if it’s only one, and be that person you want to be someday, so you can say you are that person now. (And I bet you will get a lot more to give). Peace!

Avatar Image says:

Jo Rowling is really a wonderful and giving person who supports many wonderful charities. She really is an inspiration!

Avatar Image says:

Jo Rox!! But what is new? She is the most amazing women i know and no matter how high her star rises, she always gives back and never forgets what she started with and where she came from. How humble. One of the many things i love about her <3

Live, Love, Harry Potter!! (and Jo)

Avatar Image says:

I think the Volant trust is a great thing. JKR seems so grounded, not forgetting where she came from. Someone above commented that they thought there were more important issues to donate money to; I’d reply that there are a zillion things that need help, and everybody has their own idea of what’s most important. JKR experienced social deprivation and poverty very closely, MS also had a devastating effect on her life, so obviously those are the things she wants to help alleviate.

Avatar Image says:

Hurrah for Jo! Jo, you are so inspirational! How many other people would keep all that money to themselves? I can think of loads and loads!

You rock!

Radish :)

Avatar Image says:

What a wonderful woman. Love her.

Avatar Image says:

she is an amazing role model! im glad she donates so much no matte how famous she gets and never forgets her roots.

Avatar Image says:

Hear! Hear! Well done, Ms. Rowling, well done!!

Absolutely Fantastic!

Posted by Marauder: “It’s good that JKR gives a lot of money to charity. However, it kills me that people who are her devout fans claim this should mean any criticisms of her in other areas are wrong, when she wouldn’t agree when the fact that giving to charity necessarily makes someone a great person”

You are correct that the mere act of giving to charity does not in itself make some one a good person (although I should say that it is impossible to define what a good person is). What does matter is intentions, and from what I heard and seen from Jo, her intentions are all good.

You are also correct that giving to charity does not exempt her from criticism. However, I think your accusation, that others would be willing to overlook any falts or bad deeds because of her charitable donations, is wrong. Harry Potter fans respect Jo because everything we see or hear from her indicates that she is an intelligent and good-hearted woman whom we can trust. Thus, we can justly give her the benefit of a doubt in a sticky situation such as the RDR v WB case. If I were given evidence of Jo doing something that merited critism, then I would lose some of my trust for her, and be less likely to give her the benefit of a doubt. I am sure that most fans would feel the same way.

Avatar Image says:

Fossil – I agree 100% The reason I, and probably many Potter fans, am so willing to stick up for and admire Jo is because from what I have heard/seen from her I can pretty much determine that she is not a piece of slime, which is a lot more than I can say of quite a few people, famous or otherwise.

Write a Reply or Comment