Tom Moorcroft Discusses his role as Regulus Black in “Half-Blood Prince”

115

Apr 06, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Recently there were reports that two new characters had been cast for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. A new interview is now online where one of the actors mentioned, Tom Moorcroft, confirms his role in the sixth Harry Potter film, and also discusses his role as Regulus Black. While the young actor is unable to speak to any great detail of his exact scene, he does confirm he worked only one day, and is uncertain if he will be called back as Regulus for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Of interest to fans is a mention of how the character of Regulus Black will be seen in Half-Blood Prince. As it is a slight movie spoiler, please scroll down to read more.

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

In this interview, online here courtesy of Potterish, actor Tom Moorcroft says Regulus (the younger brother of Sirius Black) will be seen in a photograph in Professor Slughorn’s office. He noted he worked only with actor Jim Broadbent who portray sthe new Potions master in Half-Blood Prince. We do not know if this will be a memory/flashback type scene or what is involved. Quotage is as follows:

How was the process of selecting you character for HP6?
Well to be honest it came as quite a surprise. My drama school contacted me and told me it was for a “Harry Potter photo shoot”, but I discovered the first time I went up there that it was actually for the next film.

Where was it recorded?
At Leavesden Studios.

Can you explain to us what happens on this scene?
It’s for one of Professor Slughorn’s photographs, for his office.

How many days did you spend recording the scenes?
Just the one, it took about 2-3 hours to complete the shot.

What others actors were present during this scene? Like Susie Shinner (young Lilly [sic] Evans) or Daniel Radcliffe.
Only Jim Broadbent.

Can you describe the details of the scenario and the clothing on the scene?
Unfortunately no real details can be disclosed at this time so the production team said. No photographs were allowed to be taken in case they got leaked to the public, I suppose.

How was your relationship with the Director Yates?
It wasn’t actually David Yates filming this shot it was the 2nd unit director, Stephen Woolfenden.

Do you have any information about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where your character has a big role during the books?
No information as of yet, I gather that right now they’re concentrating on the Half Blood Prince.

Update: Bloghogwarts let us know they also interviewed Tom Moorcroft, who confirmed again the scene takes place in Professor Slughorn’s office and said he filmed the scene ” two weeks ago, just before Easter at Leavesden Studios.” You can see some photos of actor Tom Moorcroft here in our galleries.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince continues production in England, with a release date of November 21, 2008. Thanks so much to Potterish !

44 Responses to Tom Moorcroft Discusses his role as Regulus Black in “Half-Blood Prince”

Avatar Image says:

Cool! It’s exactly what a lot of people figured it would be—a Slughorn photograph. :)

Avatar Image says:

well, i didn’t expect him to say much either, he’s not meant to be in the movie really…

Avatar Image says:

That is so cool! I think the actor is perfect to play Regulus Black!

Avatar Image says:

Yay, i’m so glad they are including Regulus but arn’t completely straying far from book 6 to do so ! at first his character’s inclusion had me real worried but this scene seems like a great way to introduce him without be overstretched

thanks for the great news…

Avatar Image says:

I was worried too, but this should be ok. At first I was like ” But Regulus doesn’t actually appear at all. We just hear about him! ” But now I think it’s pretty cool.

Avatar Image says:

that’s so cool! I’m so happy Regulus is in!

Avatar Image says:

Sweet – I hope he comes back for the final film, since he looks like a great Regulus. I can’t wait for the new movie!

Avatar Image says:

He actually REALLY looks the part. He very, very closely resembles my image of him, which I’m very happy about.

At any rate—any idea who “Jim Broadbent” is (see interview question #3)?

Avatar Image says:

Is it me or does this actor seem like he looks more like a young snape then Regulus…I am glad to have him included in the movie though

Avatar Image says:

jim broadbent plays slughorn, i think he looks perfect for regulus too!

Avatar Image says:

Having Regulus casted is a very good thing and will help with the horcrox storyline leading into DH.

I still want to know if they have casted someone to play Alecto Carrow. You can’t have Amycus and not Alecto.

Jim Broadbent = Professor Slughorn

Avatar Image says:

I really really really want an official announcement of Bill Nighy playing Rufus Scrimgeour now… Also, I’m glad Regulus will be introduced in this episode. The next one would have been a hurry if they hadn’t done it that way. (“Oh! By the way! We forgot to tell you: Sirius had a brother!”)... The actor seems perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Paracelsus, Rufus Scimgeour is cut from HBP!

Avatar Image says:

he looks like a cross between Keanu Reeves , Marilyn Manson and Sissy Spacik. He resembles what i would have thought The character looked like but betraying him is the important thing.I hope he gets to speak in the scene he is in.Jim Broadbent is a terrific actor will be wonderful in this film.

Avatar Image says:

He has the right coloring and hair to be Sirius’ brother.

We know that Sluggie tells Harry that he had Regulus, but would have liked to have Sirius to make the pair.

So he could be pointing out the photograph in that scene.

I think he will suit the part. ;)

Avatar Image says:

But I just HAVE to say how glad I am that they’re looking ahead and dropping hints for DH. And the photograph is a cleverly unobtrusive way to do it: book-readers will notice and appreciate it, but movie-only fans won’t, until they go back after DH and see that picture. It’ll be a good smack-self-on-forehead moment for them.

Avatar Image says:

Re. Kevin: Jim Broadbent has been in loads of movies, like “Longford”, “Moulin Rouge”, and “Bridget Jones’ Diary”, just to name a few famous ones. He’s going to be GREAAAAAT as Slughorn, I just know it!

Also, it was probably a good idea to work Regulus into this movie, even if he’ll only be in it for a minute; clever, otherwise they’d have a real problem in the next movie explaining who the heck he was and where the heck he fit in.

YAY DAVID YATES!

Avatar Image says:

jim broadbent played in bridget jones as her father right?..just want to make sure i have the right..the casting directors of HP are friggin phenomenal..always spot on..cant wait till november!

Avatar Image says:

Ashley said: Sorry if I’m repeating what others have already said… I’ve decided not to read any more of the comments on updates about the movies, since I’ve become so tired of the inevitable actor-bashing, character-bashing, ship-bashing, Yates-bashing, etc., that usually happens. (We’ll see how long I’m able to hold out, ha!)

LOL, you know, that bashing gets on my nerves sometimes too, but I find it so tempting to read these comment boards, specially since they’re quiet positive lately! : )

It’s great they’re putting Regulus, that’s major DH foreshadowing (as well as Fiendfire (sp?) in Ootp, Luna’s and Ginny’s patronus, etc). Yates is doing an amazing job, I’m happy he’ll stay for DH 1 and 2! XD

Avatar Image says:

So is Regulus going to be in the movie then?.....

Live, Love, Harry Potter!!

Avatar Image says:

hey, a round of applause is due to those who siad “he’ll just show up in a picture” and “Slughorn will mention him”...and a louder hand for those who guessed both parts correctly!

And, if they do “Kreacher’s Tale” as a flashback, I do hope they use the same actor

(humming “Snape Snape Severus Snape….”

Avatar Image says:

This makes sense to me. Clicking on this story I was a little worried the WB was going to do a whole scene with him, but the photo makes sense. Horace does comment on having Regulus in his house in the book and laments not having “the whole set”. So I can see how it ties in. His name is already known prior to the fake locket being found so movie people need to be caught up.

Avatar Image says:

no way!!!! Scrimgeour is cut????? i do not beleive that….someone tell me its not true!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

They needed to do this so that movie-only people wouldn’t be like ‘uh, Sirius had a brother??’ when they came to do DH. I hope there are lines from Slughorn referring to Regulus. Maybe they could take Sirius’s lines from Ootp where he says Regulus tried to get out of the Death Eaters and he was killed for that reason. As long as they say Regulus was a Death Eater it should be OK.

Perhaps they could introduce the locket here?

Avatar Image says:

Yes! I said he’d be there as just a picture! He’s perfect for the part, and I do hope they keep him for DH too! I guess in HBP, they’re going to have a picture and Slughorn’s going to tell his story as a flashback maybe, or just tell it without any flashbacks.

And ya, Scrimgeour is cut from HBP. As far as I can tell, they’re not going to have the chapter featuring the Prime Minister.

Avatar Image says:

Cool. I knew it was going to be a small role involving a photograph of Regulus, but I thought he was going to be in a picture inside the locket. But it makes sense for them to put a picture of him in Slughorn’s office cause then Harry could ask about him. I don’t think Regulus has ever been mentioned in any of the other movies so they definitely need to bring him into play.

Does Slughorn ever mention Regulus in the book though? I think I remember him bragging about “getting the pair” or something like that. I’m assuming he was talking about Sirius and Regulus.

Avatar Image says:

Thats a good, nice way of brining him into the story, without cutting into the length of the film with a new added scene.

Avatar Image says:

so, now, how do they work in the Locket itself, and the two way mirror, also crucial clues from OotP left out of the film? And Mundungus? and…???

The Locket, I don’t know…probably a flashback addded to DH film (Hermy sez “remember, two years ago, when we were cleaning the sitting room here at Grimmauld Place…”)

The mirror, as others suggested, is handed to Harry by Dumbledore “Sirius left you this in his will…”

and Dung…sheez, i can see him being added to HBP, right from the book essentially (the confrontation in Hogsmeade), but there’s no word about any actor taking that role yet…

That still leaves Dobby….

Presumably we wont get Scrimgeour until DH, which is ok when you think about it, even if it cutss two really good scenes….still, as long as he shows up for Harry’s 17th birthday with book, deluminator and snitch….

and Prenz, I agree re the Other Minister scene, it would have been fun. but we knew it would be sacrificed all along…shame, I wanted Tony Blair to play the Muggle PM ;-)

seven months and two weeks until we know…..

Avatar Image says:

First off I agree with you Ashley and CristiPotter, I hate actor- bashers as well, and all other kinds of bashers too. I am really glad that we get to see this guy as Regulus Black, to me he really does resemble Gary Oldman and could easily be his little brother. If they do cast Scrimgeour in DH it still better be Bill Nighy.

Avatar Image says:

SEEM LIKE YATE IS DOING HIS THING, GOOD JOB AND GOOD LUCK DAVID THERE IS WAY TOO MANY FANS OUT HERE DONT LET US DOWN PLEASE.

Avatar Image says:

DJWhooKid- I thought the same thing- This kid would’ve been the best choice for young Snape.

Avatar Image says:

I disagree the one they picked for young snape is perfect this guy has an air of Gary Oldman look to him, besides its getting a little annoying, he has nothing to do with Snape.

Avatar Image says:

You would not believe how many people I know say I look like Keanu Reeves or Snape. It gets pretty tedious :)

Avatar Image says:

this is obviously great for the DH film. A great little point to note… though I don’t remember if in the book Regulus was one of Slughorn’s favorites? But of course he would be, being in Slytherin and all. :)

Avatar Image says:

Yah right, Tom didnt come on here, nice try weirdo sorry didnt work. Oh the world is full of such nut cases. I dont get it why dont you people just be happy with what you get for casting, I mean it gets rather sickening wether we all have different choices or not. We want them casted so badly and then they are and then they are not good enough. Boy oh Boy what selfish beings people on here are. Alec Hopkins is young Snape and Tom Moorcroft is Regulus Black. Its always “I want” not thats great he/ she is pretty darn close or they will look great with makeup and wig on. Good grief bunch of Dudley wannabes. Hold the phone a second here, if you are Tom then I appologize for the outburst if not, you are pulling a Lockhart and committing fraud.

Avatar Image says:

Hehe, sorry BellaSnape, i AM actually the real Tom Moorcroft living the live up down here in Dorset. I knew at least one person wouldn’t believe me :)

Avatar Image says:

I dont know if I should believe you or not I dont want to be seen as gullable if you are really someone pulling my leg. But if you are then like I said cool. If you are really him did you get to meet the REAL Snape Alan Rickman?- I am one of his fangirls.

Avatar Image says:

Unfortunately no, I only met Jim Broadbent and that was on the day of filming. I did catch a glimpse of Evanna Lynch at the studios though.

Avatar Image says:

good for you tom hope they bring you back for kreachers tale inDH knew it would be either a photo or a quick sluggie flashback. they had to get RAB introduced some how or the end of the movie would not have made any sense. good job david little dissappointed about scrimgour though the scene about being DD man thru and thru is just to good to cut out well i guess you cant have everything nonreaders really miss so much its to bad they just dont want to take the time to open a book.

Avatar Image says:

OMG it just hit me that Im talking to someone who will be in a Harry Potter movie , this is like the highlight of my life- if never talked to a star. I will think of you Tom when I see you on screen and think I had a conversation with him LOL. To bad you didnt get to meet Alan, but Jim and Evanna are cool too. I also hope you return for the Deathly Hallows movie, if they ask you do it, you really look like you could be Gary Oldmans little Brother.

Avatar Image says:

This is all great but honestly WB, WHEN are we goin to see Broadbent as Slughorn, PLEASE can we have just one quick snap… please?! I’m dying to see that man in character

Kiwi,

I’m gonna have to agree. I would really really like to see a pic of anything at ALL. they have been way too secretive this time around. i mean what the freak happened to the sneak peaks they were supposed to be posting, those are the best news we’ve gotten about the film thus far. they need to release another one. Asap.

Avatar Image says:

To me, he does look like Gary Oldman a bit… Good news!

Write a Reply or Comment