JK Rowling Honored at British Book Awards

106

Apr 09, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we reported Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling was to receive a special award at the British Book Awards. That ceremony took place tonight in London, England where Jo was presented with the Outstanding Achievement honor. You can see early photos of Jo at this event, here in our galleries. Bloomberg reports that JKR was given the award by UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown who said “She has joined a distinguished line of British authors whose work has got the whole country reading,” Brown said in a presentation speech made available before tonight’s ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London. Her books “will be read for many years to come by successive generations,” he said. He continued noting “She has been incredibly generous with her time and her money supporting some of the U.K.’s most deserving charities, but always in a quiet way,” he said in the prepared remarks.”

The Guardian also reports that Jo “said she was thrilled “and quite pleased that I haven’t been pensioned off just yet with a lifetime achievement award”.

Additional photos of JKR at the British Book awards can be viewed here via Getty, Rex and WENN. In addition, you may read the entire list of winners from the British Book awards via this link. Thanks Stephanie.

35 Responses to JK Rowling Honored at British Book Awards

Avatar Image says:

Can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. She has changed the face of children’s literature. Congrats, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful! Congratulations, Jo. She certainly has made an outstanding contribution to reading! :)

Also, nice to see Francesca Simon winning the Children’s Book of the Year.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! Congrats Jo, you totally deserve this!!

MAN!!!

My Dad had to chose this time to out of London. Would have loved to see Jo again (first time was at the London OOTP premiere. My luck’s just geat!!!). And for the first time in my life, I agree with Gordon Brown. Everywhere i go, Harry comes with me and always will.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, congrats to Jo!! I’m so glad that she’s still receiving awards like this so long after Deathly Hallows was published.

And she looks amazing in the photos!!!! Yay for Jo =D

Avatar Image says:

Nice tribute from the PM but he should have said “the whole WORLD reading” rather the country ;)

Avatar Image says:

It’s great that Jo won! But people are all over the world, not just in Brtian, like Professor Potter said.

Avatar Image says:

awww! yeah, congrats! plus, she look amazing, and that dress is my absolute FAVORITE color. she sooo deserves it, how fabulous.

Avatar Image says:

I think this was taped, and is going to be shown on the tv here in the UK.

Avatar Image says:

She looks absolutely gorgeous! Congrats Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Yup it’s going to be on Channel 4 on Sunday 13 April.

Avatar Image says:

Good lord she looks beautiful.

Avatar Image says:

She deserved this honor more than I can describe. And she looks AMAZING as well!

Avatar Image says:

She’s so lovely and poise.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats, Jo. She deserves every award she gets. And man, she looks absolutely gorgeous!

Avatar Image says:

Jo, I love ya to bits, but that is one fugly dress.

Avatar Image says:

Not wild about the dress, but I love the color, and Jo always manages to look glamorous and poised.

Congratulations to her!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations Jo! I can’t think of anyone who deserves this more than she does. She is such an amazing person!

Avatar Image says:

LOL. Leave to Jo to steal the show with some witty commentary. :)

Avatar Image says:

fanrtastic, good for you jo. I love harry potter and I cant get enough of the story. I cant wait to read it to my grand children when ever my daughter gets me one. hahaha. love ya jo.

mike from federal way wa.

Avatar Image says:

Wooooo! go Jo! :] i love her so much.

Avatar Image says:

It’s so true, what an inspiration. She has done more for literature than Hugh Hefner has done for retired old men.

Avatar Image says:

Great! At first I thought ‘pah, just another award for Joe, she deserves it, but she’s been given millions of awards, and she must be sick of them by now’.

But I think this is one she’ll really like. British Book Awards.. that says it all.. she started as an unknown british writer and now her country is recognising her for her great work. And for it to be presented by the Prime Minister just adds something special to the whole thing. Well done Joe!

Avatar Image says:

Lolz at the picture of Jo with Jordan, Jordan looks like even more of a tart next to the naturally beautiful Jo =P Love the dress and her shoes! And damnnn that it’s going to be on TV on Sunday, I’m travelling back to uni then! panic attack

Thanks Neil for the heads up on it being on channel 4

Avatar Image says:

She fully deserves it, and not just for her writing Harry Potter, but for the grace with which she has acted since becoming successful and the way she’s always respected the fans. I’ll be watching it this weekend.

Avatar Image says:

Calling all Potterists: The Nibby’s will be on, Sunday 13th April at 4pm, Channel 4. Set your vcr’s (if you still have one), sky plus, dvd recorders, etc. and enjoy!!!

Avatar Image says:

Congats Jo! I would give you each and every award on this planet!

Avatar Image says:

Brilliant! that made my day

Avatar Image says:

JKR is such a wonderful woman! She has given the world so much.

Wow. What a knockout.

JKR and her husband look like such nice people. Totally unaffected. They look like the type of people that, even without the fame and accomplishments, you would totally want to be friends with.

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations for Joanne Rowling to win – she is the best! And I must tell she is not only intelligent but beautiful and her figure rocks… (she is womanish just like Madonna).

Avatar Image says:

I am not someone who call Jordan a tart – but next to Jo… Jordan is just nothing compared with Jo Rowling. Rowling is so beautiful, and also talented. One of the best authors ever.

Avatar Image says:

congrats, congrats. but jk rowling should do something about her styling. the artificial eyelashes fell apart, the dress – hideous colour – as well. nothing to hide, certainly not, but the showing bra was pitiful. imagine that happening before court on monday!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Congratulations Jo! She’s getting awards upon awards! I love! I don’t know anyone who deserves them more! And she looks lovely!

Write a Reply or Comment