Apr 14, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC

The Telegraph has a new feature online this evening, listing the 100 Most Powerful People in British Culture. The paper selected this list of individuals based on their contribution and influence of the arts in Britain, noting this list ‘shows the depth of talent and level of commitment to the arts in this country and reflects its importance in our national life.’ Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling was placed at number fourteen on the list. The newspaper says this of Jo, and of her influence of the arts in Britain:

14) J.K. Rowling, 42, author. Harry Potter brought her fame and fortune, and she in turn has given a break to the British film industry, by insisting the films of her books be shot in Britain with an all-British cast. Has said: ‘I never wanted [fame] and I never expected it and certainly didn’t work for it, and I see it as something that I have to get through, really.’

The list contains many others who the newspaper feels have made great contributions, including Stephen Fry, who narrates the UK editions of the Harry Potter audio books, and Helena Bonham Carter, who portrays the character of Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter films. Mr. Fry was ranked at number 44, while Miss Carter was placed in the 99th spot.

16 Responses to J. K. Rowling Included Among Telegraph’s 100 Most Powerful People in British Culture

Avatar Image says:

It’s nice to see such a classy and conscientious lady leading the way…...

Yay! First comment?

Anyway, Jo deserves the fourteenth spot on the list (maybe the first…)

YAY JO!! WOOT

GO JO!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I’m so happy for Jo! This is so great!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful on her attitude to being famous :) I just wish some Hollywood types would take a page out of her book on that subject!

Avatar Image says:

I’m totally being a tattletale here, but…

Leaky mods, something really needs to be done about the current state of conversation in the comments for the Twilight/Stephenie Meyer news item. People are CAPSLOCKing, the insults are getting very personal, and some of the language being used is really inappropriate for a site like Leaky. Really, it’s become beyond ridiculous.

Sorry for being so wildly off-topic for this particular news item, but I wanted to give you guys a heads-up, and I felt I need to put this message somewhere it would be noticed quickly.

Avatar Image says:

Cool! She’s on the top 15! But for me she’s on the #1 spot ;)

Avatar Image says:

Aw, yay Jo! And I agree that it is quite amazing that she is still so humble about her fame. Love her!

Avatar Image says:

LOL I’m with you Lionpaws…she’s really # 1 for me too!

Oh and I agree with Saria that comment board at the Twilight-Potter news is going absolutely crazy and someone should do something about that! The bashing is unbearable!

Avatar Image says:

Agree with the Twilight-Potter news story comments. Anyway, back to the main story, it’s wonderful! It’s literally awards season/honours season for Jo, she totally deserves all this! Love you Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with ALL of those people in the list, some of them grudgingly, such as Andrew Lloyd-Webber, whose work I detest. But that’s a very illustrious bunch of people on the whole and I’m glad Jo’s recognized among them! I’m glad Kevin Spacey’s on the list too. He’s one actor I have a lot of respect for with his work in London theatre. And Michael Grandage has put Donmar on the map, and he also did work at Sheffield’s Crucible theatre, which is internationally renowned.

Alright Jo!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so happy for her!! She deserves it. But I’d like to see on number one spot, hehehe…

Avatar Image says:

Of course she is powerful!! I mean she has changed so many lives and influenced so many people it is insane!! She is the absolute best and is incredible humble and forever respectful to anyone and everyone.

GO JO!!

Live, Love, Harry Potter!! And Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

Davia Pugh is also on there for producing that little publicised revival of Equus

Write a Reply or Comment