Updated:Tabloid Reports on Supposed Rupert Grint Comments are False

118

Apr 16, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Earlier today, many of you emailed, noting there have been reports making the rounds that actor Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) supposedly made some disparaging and negative comments about actresses Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, life in Hollywood, and comments about difficulty filming scenes with the actress who plays Lavender Brown in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Warner Brothers has let us know these reports, which first surfaced in UK tabloid The Sun, are entirely false and this matter is being addressed in the appropriate manner.
UPDATE:: As a follow up on this matter, reps for Rupert Grint have issued the following statement: “In response to articles published this week, Rupert Grint wishes it to be known that he has never met Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton and has not nor would he, make any negative comment about them, as has been stated. He has also never made any negative comment about Los Angeles. He will be taking action against those parties spreading these falsehoods.”

57 Responses to Updated:Tabloid Reports on Supposed Rupert Grint Comments are False

Avatar Image says:

Aw, well I didn’t think that news article was half bad. I agree with the things Rupert “said” about Lindsay and Paris.

You could tell they weren’t really quotes from Rupert though.. not enough “ers” and “you knows” and “yeahhs”! ;)

Avatar Image says:

What’s so bad about that? haha.

still, It doesn’t sound like something Rupert would usually say. Plus, you know, – it’s the Sun… heh.

Avatar Image says:

That article was actually pretty funny! It’s true though, Lindsay and Paris can be a menace to people who are just going about their daily lives in LA. I almost got ran over by a paparazzi (paparazzo?) because of Lindsay, when all I wanted was to go get a coffee!

Avatar Image says:

Warner is so slow … Don’t talk anithing about the movie and just come when there is a ‘false new’ around the web, it’s so boring! Where are the official pictures of the movie? The poster, the release date off the first teaser trailer, the official site. C’mon Warner, let’s do something about the marketing of sixth movie…

about the lavender thing:

how can any guy teenager be mad about getting to do that—and get paid?

..just saying

and its paparazzo when its 1 person paparazzi with more than one

Avatar Image says:

^^I know I wouldn’t mind!!

Avatar Image says:

It was only a matter of time before the tabloids took it too far. It’s just like last month with Dan. I would of thought they learnt their lesson by now.

Avatar Image says:

The tabloid that published this “news story” is a known liar. The web sites that post these stories are no better.

People, who do this stuff, don’t care what they publish as long as it generates revenue. I’m sorry to see Leaky felt compelled to give any space at all to this lie.

Avatar Image says:

They never said there were negative comments about Jessie Cave. “importantly negative comments supposedly about difficulty filming scenes with the actress who plays Lavender Brown ” They’re just referencing the supposed quote that said that Rupert thought it was difficult to film with Emma there.

Avatar Image says:

by the way, this just got posted on Perezhilton.com- which means everyone is going to beleive it now.

Avatar Image says:

Nothing wrong with him slagging off Paris Hilton, waste of perfectly good atoms that she is, but glad he’s not having problems with the film.

Avatar Image says:

I honestly don’t understand how anyone can still believe was is printed in such “newspapers” as The Sun or The Mirror. The moment I read about it and saw the source I knew it was bs _

Avatar Image says:

Rupert is too classy to be slagging them off in public though. Possibly in private, but he wouldnt go to the paper.

Avatar Image says:

That newspaper is always printing strange things about these actors – the Rupert one above, Dan Radcliffe smoking 20 cigs a day and wanting SAS guards for his dogs, I guess Emma Watson’s next. Look out.

Avatar Image says:

Also – I was wondering if someone from England can answer this: I understand that the Sun and the Mirror are tabloids. Are they the equivalent of the National Enquirer and The Star that we have here in the States, or are there some true news stories in these papers?

Avatar Image says:

well…it was the Sun that reported it… as much as i agreed, i didn’t believe it. Rupert has a bit more class then to just blurt stuff out like that.

and yes, Suzy…the Sun and Mirror are the exact equivalent of out National Enquirer and Star. some of my friends in England say that those rags are worse then ours.

Avatar Image says:

The Sport is probably a closer fit to the National Enquirer, with stories like a World War 2 bomber being found on the Moon and a double-decker bus encased in the Antarctic ice, and of course lots of borderline-libellous celebrity gossip and softcore pr0n. The Sun and Mirror are less screwed-up in some ways but more so in others, and have a disturbing amount of influence.

@ KB Prez,

Leaky reported the refuttal of the lie, not the lie itself as though it were fact.

This is a site about all things HP and as Rupert play’s Ron, of course they’re going to report an official statement about a rumor.

Avatar Image says:

@ mollywobbles23, we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don’t think the link to this story or WB’s statement about it needed to be reported here at all. The subject of this story is just more silly celebrity gossip. True or not, I don’t see the reason for Leaky to cover this story at all.

Avatar Image says:

I still kinda hope it’s true and Rupert really had the balls to say what many are thinking but aren’t saying. However, Rupert seems to be the type to defend and protect hot messes (Lily Allen, Katie Lewis) so it’s unlikely he would rag on Lindsay. Plus red-heads gotto stick together! :D

Posted by deana on April 16, 2008 @ 06:37 PM

Ugh! Perez is just always looking to post anything negative about Lindsay.

Avatar Image says:

I seriously wish that he had said that. It was hilarious. Even the stuff about the LavLav scenes. It would be awk with someone staring at you… ya know, other than the entire camera crew. haha.

But I agree with whoever said that there weren’t enough yeah’s er’s and um’s for it to be really Rupert. haha.

Avatar Image says:

The simple fact that he never once said “Yeah, it was quite cool to film that scene…” should have been evidence enough that it wasn’t really Rupert making those comments.

:pats Rupert fondly on the head:

Avatar Image says:

Wow, the article sounded so FAKE. emma watson glaring?

rupert grint meets lindsay lohan?

wow…i can’t believe the Sun’s still in business.

entertaining though!! XDDD

agreeing with KB Prez. no need to cover the story.

Avatar Image says:

yeah those quotes didn’t really sound like rupert. and i definitely don’t think emma watson would be immature enough or care enough to “glare” at rupert during kissing scenes. that sounds totally fabricated if you ask me.

Avatar Image says:

Haha, that’s a little funny how they would even write about that article! It`s so totally ridiculous & is a total waste of time. :D Rupert would never say that stuff in an interview! Like really….

Avatar Image says:

Did leaky publish the one about Dan smoking 20 cigarettes a day? Because if they did, then its just right they post this news about Rupert too.

Avatar Image says:

I said over and over again to people today that it was false. I’m glad to see someone has confirmed it.

Rupert barely talks, barely says anything when he does talk, and he NEVER says anything nasty, even if the party is deserving.

That’s why we love him!

I’m glad this has been false. Rupes doesn’t need that sort of rumor, even if it’s not negative.

Avatar Image says:

“Shrugs”....Aaah well, at least they got the name of the movie they´re filming right…When they post rubbish about Dan, he`s allways filming “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

If Rupert did say bad thing about Paris and/or Lindsay, high-five to him. He realizes that they are in a bad habit and thats not the way to live life with partying and drinking, getting arrested. They are both terrible exsample for today’s youth. Rupert realizes that so again high-five to him.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with EruditeWitch.

Anyone who’s EVER seen Rupert give an interview or statement knows that he generally allows Dan or Emma to do the talking and he gives short, monosyllabic comments such as “Should do, yeah” or “That’s kinda a cool, so yeah, should be fun” or “Looking forward to that, so yeah, um, it’s really really cool” or “I suppose, yeah”.

Attributing such a long, biting comment like that down to Rupert is really rather funny. Sad and completely wrong, but funny.

Avatar Image says:

I wish people would stop saying “IF”.

these rumors are false. He never said that. It becomes hypothetical.

But more than just Rupes communicating very little, he also doesn’t exude any negativity in anything he does.

Avatar Image says:

If those comments were really made by Rupert and WB is just covering up for him to preserve the HP image – then Lo and Behold ! We now know the real Rupert Grint. Looks like he’s not really the “shy” guy his fans insist he is. lol

Avatar Image says:

I know this article is completely false. Not because of the anti Hollywood comment but because of that “best actor in HP” thingy. lol. For Rupert to say that LIndsay doesn’t know how to act is so ridiculous considering that Grint is not much of an actor either. At least Lindsay got nominated in some awards giving body. But Grint? ... pshew…

Avatar Image says:

you can’t simply put other person “quote” in any magazine unless it’s true. can’‘t really do that in US but you can do whatever in UK. The Sun stole news from US tabloid all the time and gossip blogger stole from them again …so stupid

speaking of acting term alone no gossip involve Lohan works with legenday like Meryl Streep before girl has problem but what an actress

Avatar Image says:

LOL, no duh the quotes are made up, Rupert’s never said that much to a reporter in his life.

Avatar Image says:

And also why would Rupert have been considering moving to LA? That’s ridiculous, he’s committed the next 3 years of his life to filming HP in England. A load of BS all around.

Avatar Image says:

The Sun is the worst newspaper available. They should provide you with a free pinch of salt for each story they publish!

Avatar Image says:

I think a free barrel of salt might be more appropriate with regard to the Sun! Although despite the fact that it’s rubbish, as szaleniec said, it has a disturbing amount of influence. It’s something like the most widely read tabloid in the UK.

Avatar Image says:

I completely agree with Eruditewitch. If you’ve actually seen a Rupert interview, he rarely speaks badly about anything – especially about anyone. He’s very diplomatic and never talks down anyone, even when he’s asked to (pet peeves, anyone?) – I think it’s just in his nature. He’s quite agreeable, and we love him for that and so much more.

I’m glad Leaky posted this story and I hope WB are dealing with it properly. I don’t want the world to think Rupert’s bitching about them – even if they deserve it – because that’s simply not him.

Avatar Image says:

“And also why would Rupert have been considering moving to LA? That’s ridiculous, he’s committed the next 3 years of his life to filming HP in England. “

The reporter asked Rupert if he’s considering getting a pad in New York like what Dan did. He probably wanted a controversial answer such as: he’s not like Dan at all or somehting. What the reporter got about LIndsay was even more delicious IF Rupert actualy said those things. Probably not.

Avatar Image says:

Rupert has never been the judgmental type. He is a gentleman and even makes friends with the likes of Lily Allen and Katie Lewis who have more or less the same reputation as La Lohan.

So all I can say about this news is the same thing that Ron said about Umbridge’s speech: “What a load of waffle!”

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know about ‘most read’. Most looked at probably! For those who only ever see the web version, The Sun in the flesh (pun intended) is plastered with semi nude women on most pages. Gives you an idea what sort of paper it is. The Internet blurs these things which is a bad thing because it’s now difficult to tell respectable papers from the good ones.

By the way, Emma has had her fair share of nasty gossip too, usually regarding some man. Three different ones in one month was the record.

@Suzy on page 1, it used to be Tabloid size papers = rubbish, Broadsheet size = proper news. The only trustworthy UK newspapers are the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent, Times and Financial Times, the old broadsheets, but to confuse things these papers all now also publish tabloid size versions to make them easier for commuters to handle on trains! Original tabloid size papers, Daily Sport, News of the World, Daily Star, Mirror are all comparable to The Sun, and are mostly gossip. Express and Daily Mail pretend to be respectable but still publish more gossip than news, sometimes cleverly disguised as news (DM is horribly bigoted too which gets my blood boiling if I look at it for more than 5 mins!)

Avatar Image says:

I wish Rupert would actually make comments like this. I’m going to choose to believe he said this stuff because it makes him more interesting and it makes me feel better to think he can actually string a sentence together!

Avatar Image says:

This story is pure tabloid trash. Why was it put up on Leaky?

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Avatar Image says:

This story wasn’t put up at Leaky, Leakyfan. Only the retraction was.

Stop saying ‘if’ he said those things. He didn’t.

And to quote a critic “Grint can do more acting with his eyes than most actors can do with their entire bodies”

so screw those saying Rupes can’t act.

Avatar Image says:

@ EruditeWitch: Do you remember which critic it was who said that about Rupert’s acting? I’d be interested to know.

I need to see Driving Lessons, so I can get a better idea of what kind of actor Rupert really is. What I’ve seen in the HP films hasn’t impressed me, to be honest, but I don’t necessarily think that’s Rupert’s fault: He’s never really been given enough to do in the films to prove himself as an actor (having him mug for the camera over and over and over again does not constitute acting, imo). I thought he showed promise in OotP, but in the end, he and Emma both were completely upstaged and outshone by Dan, who absolutely blew me away. I’m looking forward to seeing Rupert do his stuff in HBP, since it sounds like he’ll have a much bigger part than in the previous movies. But until then, I don’t know if I’m ready to call him one of the great actors of his generation just yet. I think he’s still got a lot to prove, acting-wise.

I do love Rupert, though, lest anyone think I’m bashing him. He seems like such a nice, comfortable, laidback sort of guy. I often make fun of how really not articulate he is in interviews, but I do it with affection. I genuinely find it endearing.

@ EruditeWitch,

Leaky’s post has a link to the story. I don’t see any difference between posting the actual story and posting a link to it. This story is ridiculous tabloid garbage and I think Leaky should have ignored it.

Avatar Image says:

”..Grint can do more acting with only his eyes than most actors can do with their whole bodies…” ~ Tom’s Mini Movie Reviews

Here’s a link http://www.halfhill.com/mreviews.html

scroll to the D’s.

If Rupert-grint.net was working right now, you could find a linke to a TON of positive reviews for him. Most from driving lessons.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, EruditeWitch. I’ll check it out.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, not to spam or anything, but someone was looking for the reviews section for Rupert, the site is up,

Back on topic, my thing is if WB gave us some REAL MOVIE news, we wouldn’t be discussing all of these mad rumors. They are really taking the fun out of fandom.

Next month we’ll have 6 months until the next movie. I’m sure the ball will start rolling by then, but we’ve been denyed the opportunity to have a long term excitement for this film.

Oh by the way, I didn’t believe the rumor from the get go.

Avatar Image says:

I have to admit that I’m also really wishing the WB would give us some movie news. And I don’t mean a generic picture of Harry standing there and not doing much of anything, or a generic picture of the Trio in the common room (again!) looking like they’ve always looked. I mean something really good, something specific to HBP, that we could get excited about. Like a pic of Narcissa, or Slughorn, or Lavender Brown, or a shot of the Christmas party, or the Felix Felicis, or a glorious shot of H/G! Heck, at this point, I’d even be thrilled with a standard set report from a fan. Just SOMETHING, for heaven’s sake.

But then, given the current situation with the court case, and the issues with copyright, etc., I can’t imagine that the WB is feeling especially generous toward fans right now. I think we might be a bit screwed this time as far as getting early images and sneak peeks from HBP.

Avatar Image says:

@suzy – no, both The Sun and The Mirror publish a sometimes rather confusing mish-mash of real news and sensationalist gossip or scandal, some of it utterly laughable, but it’s very popular (combination of semi-naked ladies and the fact that some people like its humour). In my opinion it’s a load of rubbish and not to be taken too seriously; The Mirror’s slightly better I think (not so many naked ladies, and a bit more Liberal in its leanings) but still not what would be called respectable. The Daily Mail is in some ways far more disturbing: its readers do view it as a respectable newspaper, so it has a great deal of influence (and an extremely wide readership); but there is a high degree of anti-liberalism, reporting opinion and theory as fact, claims to have sole handle on ‘truth’, claiming to be the voice of the nation or the people or whatever, and so on. People really believe it, but I agree with anne (above) – it makes my blood boil. But all of them (except really trash-tabloids such as News of the World and Sunday Sport) avoid overtly unbelievable things such as, I dunno, “Car Park Found on Mars!” as it would undermine their credibility and yes, they are pretending to be a credible news source. People (including readers) know it’s a bit of a joke. Hmm, bit strange really….

Avatar Image says:

This would have been more believable if The Sun leave Lohan out of this.

Avatar Image says:

Thought it was hilarious myself. The sas for Dan’s dog thing was believable as something that Dan would say as a joke-the reporters and Emma and others have said that Dan is hilarious. Watch the reports when they come out, i bet Dan says something to that effect. What can’t come across in a printed format, like sarcasm etc obviously does in video.

I figured rupert would say stuff like that to possibly his friends but not to a reporter. He’s barely cognizant of the actual questions, going by his past interviews. incidentally, the reporter that wrote that stuff has retracted it, not the lohan and paris stuff but the best actor and liking his jib bit?( snickers ) what is that?

Avatar Image says:

The tabloids are a million times worst here in the U.K. than in the U.S.

I thought it was something Rupert wouldn’t say in public at least, he probably does think it, like most of us, although I don’t think Lindsey is that bad an actress, she’s better than Emma for a start.

I wondered why the bloke that wrote it, who said how much he loved Rupert, is now saying Rupert is a nob, so childish.

Avatar Image says:

‘Sun’,’Mirror’,’Globe’,’Enquirer’, etc…=T R I P E! ‘Nuff said.

Write a Reply or Comment