Reminder: “My Boy Jack” to Air this Weekend on PBS

269

Apr 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As we have reported previously, My Boy Jack, starring actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) will be broadcast here in the US on PBS this Sunday night (check local listings for time). The film, which was originally broadcast in the UK last year, has met with positive critical review here in the States, including a mention in Tom O’Neils Gold Derby column in the LA Times, speculating this performance and film could “be a big player in the made-for-TV movies at the Emmys this year.” You can read an additional reviews from Entertainment Weekly “(It’s a smooth, subtle piece of acting on Radcliffe’s part, and aside from the glasses and crooked grin, he never once evokes Harry Potter) here, as well as watch the preview clips WB sent us earlier this month via this link.

37 Responses to Reminder: “My Boy Jack” to Air this Weekend on PBS

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I’ve been wanting to see this

Avatar Image says:

I saw this in Nov, Dan is fantastic and so are Kim Cattrall, David Haig and Carey Mulligan. But get ready to cry when you watch.

Avatar Image says:

What the heck, I’ll probably check this out. It’s probably better than a kick in the head. (well, at least it better be). Thanks TLC!

Avatar Image says:

I’m happy for US! The film is great and Dan is great! I cried so hard- when soldier comes to Jacks family to tell them he died!really sad!

Avatar Image says:

The DVR is already set, since I saw a preview of it on “The View”, when they interviewed Kim Cattrall. Looks cheerful! (Not really, but it’s Dan.) When did he film this? His acting (in the clip I saw) seemed between GOF and OOTP?

Avatar Image says:

Hey matea, thanks for the ending. We in the US haven’t SEEN this yet, remember? Could that be removed?

Avatar Image says:

I agree with P. I really wish you hadn’t told us the ending matea.

Avatar Image says:

O sorry! I thought you know the story! Film was online…I’m really sorry

You might see it on the listing as Masterpeice…just FYI

Avatar Image says:

I don’t have the ability to see it..But I’m not particulary intrested in war movies though but I’ve heard Dan did good in it.

Avatar Image says:

I saw several clips from this film and it looks like it will be really good. I can’t wait to see it. Dan got great reviews for his performance. The film also got great reviews.

Avatar Image says:

If anyone else is having a hard time finding this listed on PBS I did a google search and found out that it isn’t listed as “My Boy Jack” but as “Masterpiece”.

Here in the East Cost of USA it is on at 9PM on PBS and is scheduled to run for 2 hours.

It is also scheduled to reair on the same station at: 1AM Monday 3AM Tuesday

I also saw that there were quiet a few showings on PBS HD channels which I don’t subscribe to.

Avatar Image says:

To “sparkling blue” – It’s not really a war movie – it’s more about how this family deals with someone going off to war, the guilt and Kipling’s coping with the fact that he encouraged his young son to do this. As for what matea wrote, it’s not really a spoiler. This is a factual film, anyone familiar with Kipling would know what happened, plus, it’s been written about all over the place. Also – Masterpiece Theater is on your local PBS statiion every Sunday night at 9:00 (EST, sorry, I don’t know if it’s the same for Pacific time). Check it out – there are some quality programs on Masterpiece. The Jane Austen Series has been fantastic. There are many “Potter” actors involved with Masterpiece – Mr. Weasley (Mark Williams) was in both Sense and Sensibility and Room With A View; Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew) was in Room With A View, to mention a couple. Watch My Boy Jack – it’s supposed to be fantastic – and consider supporting PBS.

Avatar Image says:

Finally, at last, I can watch it here in Canada it is showing at the same time on Rogers Cable Ch 61…hoooorrraaayyy. I saw the film clips and its fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

Oman.. it will probebly take 3 years befor it hits Sweden .

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Suzy in both her comments. It isn’t a war film, not action based at all really. It’s more an emotional period drama, and quite slow paced. Also, the ‘ending’ mentioned above isn’t the actual ending of the film and is widely known anyway, as based on real fact. Even the interviews and prequals in the UK mentioned what happens. It doesn’t matter. The scene itself is still harrowing.

I hope you get it shown without advert breaks! In the UK the advert breaks really ruined it for me. They came on at crucial times. You went suddenly from mud soaked War Trench to Strawberry Sundae!

ginny wealsey rox

Avatar Image says:

Many thanks for the reminder. POA is also airing on ABC this saturday, April 19. I am in heaven.

Avatar Image says:

FYI if you are using a DVR and are looking up ‘MY BOY JACK’ (at least Tivo) cant find it, that is due to the fact it’s listed under ‘Masterpiece’ just thought I would let anyone else out there know in case like me couldn’t find it (maybe I am the only one EEK!)... Thanks and happy viewing!

Avatar Image says:

Meta, should have done a spoiler alert. :D I’ll still watch. Its under Masterpiece in Chicago. Sunday at 8:00 PM.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not stupid, I know this is a war movie- but for someone squimish like me, should I avoid it? Is there a ton of gore?

I need to make sure I remember to set my TiVo :)

Avatar Image says:

Hi Lindsay. Hope I don’t spoil anything here. No there’s not much gore at all and it isn’t really a war movie in that sort of way. Most of the film does not feature blood or fighting at all. When it does it’s more harrowing than gory imo but it’s a very short scene anyway. You’d probably miss one of the best parts (in terms of acting) if you closed your eyes then, though. It’s one of my most lasting memories of TV last year.

Avatar Image says:

To whoever asked earlier, Dan filmed this last August. So it’s really recent. I can’t wait to see it :)

Avatar Image says:

I’ve really been wanting to see this!

Avatar Image says:

YAY!!! I can’t wait to see it!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so glad I got to see it. Beautiful, authentic and heartbreaking.

My son is named Jack, too. I think I’m going to give him one more hug before I go to bed tonight…..

Avatar Image says:

HOOORRAAYY..I’ve seen just now (finished up to the interviews). Dan is really amazing he’s acting talent is superb. Just almost half a Kleenex box to the part when the soldier(4got his name) is relaying how Jack died :( but it is really amazing masterpiece, I ordered the DVD.

Avatar Image says:

Just saw it tonight, and Dan was just so good in it, he is just getting better and better all the time. Very powerful story, and shows again the futility of war. I stayed and watched the interviews and they were most enlightening. Kim Catrall was also very good, everyone was. But, yes indeed, Dan is our shining star!

Avatar Image says:

To “Danny” from the first page of comments:

I missed taping it tonight, because I forgot. I had it on my calendar, and, of course, didn’t look at my calendar. I wished I’d check out Leaky. And TVGuide.com also said “Masterpiece”, so I didn’t see it when I checked out what I was taping tonight.

Fortuantly, PBS here (which is the same as the east coast of the US) is showing it again next Sunday at 3AM—which is actually really late Saturday night. And if I’m repeating what someone else said, I haven’t read all the comments yet, lol.

Avatar Image says:

VERY good movie—VERY depressing. Lol. I didn’t cry but I was just like, “Wow… Wow.” I would still recommend it to any Dan fan, though.

Avatar Image says:

I say “Jack” last nite. It was amazing. The whole cast was wonderful. Dan was fabulous. It is such a touching story. Jack went through so much to get out of his father’s famous shadow. I loved it. I hope itunes will sell it.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t feel badly Laurel. I also had it marked on my calender and went to Leaky for my reminder and simply forgot. Thank you so much for letting us know about the 3am showing. This is why the fans are so great. Many thanks.

Avatar Image says:

I live in the UK and this was FANTASTIC.

Dan was so good and it made me cry…its emotional.

Not really a war movie fan but this was spectacular.

Kudos to Dan showing that is better than people had said by playing a completley different character!!

=] x

Avatar Image says:

Watched it last night, have to admit that the story was very compelling. Daniel’s take on John Kipling showed a taste of his portrayal of Harry Potter, but that is not all bad. I’m sure there was some stretching by Daniel. Actually, John Kipling was 18 years and one day old when he “went over the wall” but Dan played the part much older than he was or John was, a very neat feat. I can see some parts for Dan in his future that will exceed his real age.

Avatar Image says:

i watched this sunday night and was just blown away. dan acted superbly. (so did david haig, kim catrall, and everyone else) i never once felt like i was watching harry potter. i cried so much as the soldier told jack’s family of his death. i waited till it was over to go get myself some tissues though. kudos to dan for acting so well in such a different role. i will have to tape this when it reshows.

Avatar Image says:

I finally got a chance to watch “My Boy Jack” today. It is a heart-breaking story and hopefully a reminder to us all of the horrible sacrifices that come with war.

The acting was wonderful all-around. The very best performance I’ve seen from Dan anywhere. He should be very proud. He just gets better and better!

Avatar Image says:

weilor123, that’s not true. Dan had just turned 18 years old too when he filmed this movie, so he was the perfect age, exactly the same age Jack was at that time.

I watched it and loved it. Daniel was really good, the acting was one of the best things of the movie. The story is very impressive too, to think all that really happened… The scenary, music, clothes… all are perfect.

Write a Reply or Comment