EA Announces “Half-Blood Prince” Game Due This Fall

114

Apr 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Attention all Harry Potter video game lovers! EA, makers of the Harry Potter games, announced today that the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince video game will be released to coincide with the arrival of the sixth Harry Potter film, which is due in theaters November 21, 2008. According to TeamXBOX, in this new game “players will return to Hogwarts to help Harry survive a fraught sixth year. They will also have a chance to engage in exciting wizard duels, mix and brew magical ingredients in Potions class and take to the air to lead the Gryffindor Quidditch team to victory. Players may even get sidetracked by Ron’s romantic entanglements as they journey towards a dramatic climax and discover the identity of the Half-Blood Prince. ” Update:As included in the TeamXbox above, be sure to check out the first still of the game, or you can see it here in our galleries.

Reps for the companies involved are cited with the following statements: “We believe that the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince video game represents a milestone in the movie tie-in genre’ said Harvey Elliott, Head of EA Bright Light studio in the UK where the Harry Potter franchise has its home. “Building on the technological advancements of previous games in the series and with a particular focus on the unique control system of Nintendo’s WiiTM, the team here is working closely with the filmmakers to create an immersive interactive experience that captures the story, the action, the excitement and, above all, the fun of the film. “

“Working with EA, we look forward to offering fans a compelling Harry Potter video game, one which captures the thrilling storyline and high visual quality of the movie’ said Scott Johnson, Vice President, Business Development for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The adherence to the rich fiction is a trademark of this franchise and with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince fans will experience the most authentic and enjoyable game in the series to date.”

We will update when pre-orders for the Half-Blood Prince game become available. The game is due to be released on the Wii, Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Playstation 2, PSP< Nintendo DS platforms as well as for Windows PC, Macintosh, and mobile devices.

42 Responses to EA Announces “Half-Blood Prince” Game Due This Fall

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be buying it! The OotP game was a lot of fun, much better than the previous ones. I hope they just continue to improve.

Avatar Image says:

Wait…RON’s romantic entanglements?! What about Harry’s???

Avatar Image says:

Hey,this isnt really about the game but,oh well,is dobby gonna be in this movie?HE NEEDS TO BE!!!! =D

Avatar Image says:

“with a particular focus on the unique control system of Nintendo’s Wii”

I hope this doesn’t mean that the quality of other platforms will be sacrificed =/ I will definitely be buying it though – the OotP game was awesome, and I’m sure this will be even better! I wish I had a Wii though… =(

Avatar Image says:

“with a particular focus on the unique controls system of Nintendo’s Wii”

I really hope this means that they are going to make this new game where the characters are easier to control on the Wii. When I played OOTP on our Wii, I kept headaches from getting sooo dizzy! It was almost like when Zelda came out on the Gamecube. Spinning and spinning and spinning. I guess they wanted us to know what it felt like to travel by Floo powder!

Avatar Image says:

I hope it’s as good as the last one! I loved it!

Avatar Image says:

Oh and in response to MuggleQueen, I don’t think EA will compromise the graphics quality of the HBP game on the PS3 or the XBox 360 – if there’s one company that loves to focus on it’s “cutting edge graphics!!!” it is EA. My theory is that they are just designing the game’s controls on all platforms with the consideration that the Wii can offer a lot of interesting gameplay. The OotP game was pretty tricky to play on the Wii – my arms felt like they were going to fall off before the tutorial was over! I’m thinking they are trying to avoid that this time around.

Avatar Image says:

SWEET! I am glad to see the PS2 did not get left out asi cannot afford to buy a next gen system yet

Avatar Image says:

I don’t have a Wii… but if you actually performed the wand spells, it might be worth buying. That’s the bummer with the XBOX 360, have to wiggle the stick side-to-side and remember thumb moves. WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, God, am I the only one that hates these movies?

The character graphics in the games were horrible and don’t get me started on Hermoine’s voice…

BOOKS* I meant ^

Avatar Image says:

You hate the books? Why the hell do you bother posting here then?

Avatar Image says:

Kevin, shut it :) anyway, so happy!!!!!

Ooh. :D

Avatar Image says:

who will wait till fall????? Come on let it be quicklier pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I want that game now. OotP was much more real than any of the before ones. I am dying to know what will be this one like.. Pls let it be quicklierrrrrrr.

this is GREAT!! i only have a ps2 and i was getting worried

Avatar Image says:

I LOVED all the books and the movies too! But all the games so far wern’t so good. Hopefully there will be freedom like the last one but easier to make spells and more fun levals. I got a wii and I totally can’t wait, im gettin it for shure. =) Oh ya watch da office at 8 on thursdays on NBC dat show rox!

Avatar Image says:

Wonder how long the Mac version will take this time? I only got my hands on Order of the Phoenix last year.

yay!

Avatar Image says:

I just hope the game will be evolving from the last one. Just let us go anywhere (really! Even divination classroom, or the fields on the other side of the castle), and allow us to somehow turn the camera angle (It is really annoying when you were on a bridge in OotP and you were forced to see one side of the bridge while the other side had a better view). I know the mechanics problems that would originate but If they had these it’d be the best Harry Potter game ever. It would be perfect.

Avatar Image says:

“Players may even get sidetracked by Ron’s romantic entanglements”

And of course Harry has no romance… (rolls eyes)

Well, I guess they’re playing it up because Ron’s never had a girlfriend before, and Ron/Hermione is always a really classic and funny relationship to follow. And Harry/Ginny’s kiss is one of those kisses you don’t put in a trailer because you want the audience to be pleasantly surprised that Harry finally gets the girl he wants.

But Harry/Ginny is my favorite.. And I hope they don’t change too much about their relationship!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t really think HBP is something that will work too well as a game. I mean, from reading the book, what possible gameplay is there? It’s the book which prepares you for the 7th, giving you important information with a lot of backstory, and those things don’t work very well in a game. Going to lessons, exploring, duelling and playing Quidditch should still be fun, but the main story needs to have more action for it to works as a game.

Avatar Image says:

I got (well I bought my husband one anyway) a Wii for Christmas, I really enjoyed playing OotP it was great, though like most games I can’t spend more than 30mins or I get dizzy its like that on PS2 as well. But I guess one shouldn’t be spending hours on them anyway (hides face).

I am excited for this game, I am thinking of purchasing the previous games, OotP is my first HP games purchase and I had a lot of fun with it.  So yay!
Avatar Image says:

They are including Quidditch!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how they’ll do that on the Wii?

Avatar Image says:

This is sure to be a fun game. My brother wants me to get my own DS so I’ll stop borrowing his to play OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

YAY!! I cant wait, order of the pheonix was so fun on the wii!

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad this game is coming. This will probably be the best of the series. The Order of the Phoenix definately made a lot of improvements. However, I think because they spent so much time making the graphics better, getting the characters to look like their on-screen counterparts, and designing the castle, it felt like a lot of random fetch quests. Since they have all of the aforementioned done now, they can really focus on the gameplay and make this video game truly spectacular. Also, I can’t wait to do the Horcrux scene at they end and battle of the inferi. :)

Avatar Image says:

wow, is it going to be as crappy as the last two?

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I adore OotP on my Wii, so I’m really looking forward to this one.

starts practicing wand movements

Avatar Image says:

I’m so excited, I’ve loved them all so far. I had a little difficulty with the new control system of the last one – I play on PC, and I can see how they struggled to make a whole game out of little action. But HBP is my fav book, I can’t wait to play my way through.

Avatar Image says:

So far the only HP game remotely good was the original CoS. All the others were run around and fetch this and that games with nothing to them (and far to easy). “Yes, let’s skip almost everything at the ministry and make Harry clean up puddles of water instead.” Thats what happened in OotP and I haven’t got much hope for this one either. Well, here’s hoping it turns out good.

Avatar Image says:

I REALLY REALLY hope this one turns out well- OOTP was a bit of a disappointment to be quite honest- really nice looking and awesome graphics but severely lacking content and fun-wise (who wants to go around a castle just fixing things?!)

I liked the gameplay of Goblet of Fire alot better- if they can mix those two together -the graphics and ability to roam the castle freely AND a good game storyline/stuff to do, it would be positively brill

Avatar Image says:

This is awesome. I can’t wait to get it! I really liked the last one, it was way better than the first three. I hope this one gets even better.

Avatar Image says:

loved the music in the last one, is the same composer doing this one?

Avatar Image says:

I have a Wii, but I played OotP on the PS2. The graphics were great, but, I agree the content was rather disappointing. I finished it pretty quickly. HBP is an interesting one. I don’t know how they are going to turn it into a game. I mean the biggest action is at the end.

Avatar Image says:

With some imagination they can get a lot of action in scenes likes slughorn’s house, summer at the burrow and D.A.D.A. lessons with Snape… So i hope they DO HAVE imagination…

I want more pictures!

Avatar Image says:

I remember having two HP games … Don’t know what happened to them. >__< I might buy a DS out of my money the next time I’m payed and work my way through the games. :)

Avatar Image says:

The screenshot looks a lot like OotP. Oh well, it still sounds awesome! I can’t wait until it comes out!

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t liked any games since HP&POA, every game (PC) since has not had steering the character with the mouse available, just with arrow and direction keys, where as before one could use the mouse to look around the enviroment and turn the character 360 degrees. I hate movement with arrow keys alone because it is all incremental motion and not as fluid as with the mouse. Like if you want to move in a direction 45 degrees away you must go up-side-up-side-up-side- instead of a smooth 45 degree turn and heading strait. Hate it. I won’t ever buy another game like that. I feel that I wasted my money on GOF. None of the modern FPS games are like that. Why would they move backward after the POA game?

Anyone got an explanation?

Avatar Image says:

to mr_mundungus I think there is an option in the control panel every time you start the game that let’s you choose mouse over keyboard

Avatar Image says:

ANYABHT – Thanks for the the reply, however it was totally impossible in GOF and stated such in the manual. Nor could I find any options to use the mouse in the OoTP Demo that I downloaded, but I would look again if you could tell me you are sure of this.

Dung