Crafty Wands at the Ready!

124

Apr 24, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Calling all crafters! For those who enjoy making their own Harry Potter crafts, we have a fun new feature just for you! Starting this May 1st, Leaky’s own Crafty Witches will host a special Craft-Along event where we invite you to join us as we all make our own wands. These wands are easy and fun to make, and you can follow along at home with us by using the instructions found in this Simple Wand tutorial from Jessi, or add your own bit of magical flourish with additional hints as seen in this guide from Mayven.

We now have a special section of our forum for this and future Craft-Along events in our Leaky Lounge, where a new craft-along event will take place every two months. In order to prepare and create your own magical wand for this first event, you will need the following supplies:

• Wooden dowel rod, any length
  • Acrylic paint
  • Varnish
  • Modeling clay
  • If you wish to add some color, you will also need:

• Food coloring in red, yellow and blue
  • Wand for staining
  • Q-tips cotton swabs
  • Cloth-like paper towels
  • You can see many more fun Harry Potter- themed crafts, as well as tutorials on how to make these fun items here in our Crafts section, as well as the regular ongoing craft section of our forum. So crafty wands at the ready everyone, and we will see you on May 1st. Enjoy!

24 Responses to Crafty Wands at the Ready!

Avatar Image says:

This sounds so awesome! But if I start making my own wand my familiy will send me to the hospital. Or even better-to Church! but maybe while they not around….:D

Avatar Image says:

cool cool. :) i’m not so crafty though.

Avatar Image says:

me too. my mom would totally freak if i made a wand. she would send me to brother joe(our paster) my mom said to watch the movies is fine but if i do anything related to witch craft i….am….so….GROUNDED

Avatar Image says:

That’s cool! :) It’s a really fun idea.

Hannah,

The cool thing about a craft-along is that our wonderful crafty witches will help you along the way! Try it – it will be fun to see how everyone’s wands turn out!

Doris

Avatar Image says:

Doris is right, Hannah! We Crafty Witches took care to pick a tutorial that even the most craft-challenged person can do – give us a try!!

Also, if it helps to relieve your concerns, Crafty Witch Quietish is preparing a step-by-step How-to Video that will be available for viewing around the start of the Craft-Along.

We hope to see you there!

Crafty Witch Jenn

Avatar Image says:

I plan to use this for a craft activity at my library. I’m a children’s librarian. It looks like fun.

Avatar Image says:

If any of you guys are in New York City, my HP meetup group is organizing a wand making event on Saturday, May 31st.

More info here: http://harrypotter.meetup.com/447/calendar/7736992/

Come and join us!

Avatar Image says:

The more the merrier Patrick! Everyone at your library is welcome join us in the CAL!

And for those living with Muggles, I can feel your pain. I think my boyfriend’s second last name is Dursley sometimes :P

Avatar Image says:

lol, if you want to make a colorful wand you already have to have a “Wand for staining” – that made me laugh :)

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I can hardly wait to get in on this! So… nobody would be mad if I got a little elaborate, carving my dowel and such? I should see about getting a length of vine, since my birthday’s in September like Hermione’s…. Squeee!

Avatar Image says:

Go for it, Witchchylde! The wand, after all, does choose the witch or wizard – so your wand should absolutely be perfectly suited to you!!

We’ll see you on May 1st bounces

Crafty Witch Jenn

Avatar Image says:

Ohh! I can’t wait! I made a primitive wand once, but it wasn’t all that good. So now I will try again.

Avatar Image says:

Hey RosieWeasley, glad you’ll be joining us.. can’t have too many wands, really.

Witchchylde, That will be awesome to see! I do hope you’ll share pics!

Patrick, that’s awesome!

Avatar Image says:

That sounds so fun!! But I think if i did that my mom would totally flip! she already says I spend WAY to much time hanging here. lol.

Live, Love, Harry Potter!!

Avatar Image says:

This is a wonderful idea! My nieces are coming for the weekend, this will be the perfect project to keep them busy.

Avatar Image says:

That sounds cool. I’ve had two wands now that I made with friends before the release of the sixth and seventh books. (to get in the spirit you know?) I think I might look in on this though. sounds fun! :)

Avatar Image says:

Glad to have you jump aboard Rebecca & younger Granger! This should be loads of fun, and we Crafty Witches can’t wait to get to know all of you!

Oh, and for everyone scared of not being allowed – it never hurts to ask, and if your parents have any questions we’d be more than happy to answer them :)

Crafty Witch Jenn

Avatar Image says:

my parents don’t like harry potter because it against our religion but i dont really care because im the only one that knows if its going to hurt me or not so i would love to make my own harry potter wand.

whheeee

iv’e tryed to make my own wand for the deathly hallows release… it was way fun, but it broke =( so i shall make a neaw one..

whheeee

iv’e tryed to make my own wand for the deathly hallows release… it was way fun, but it broke =( so i shall make a new one..

I dont get a thing! :d

Avatar Image says:

That’s really cool, but I don’t understand if the clay hardens on the wand or what kind of clay you use. This is really cool!!!

Avatar Imageselenapotter says: Hey guys! Check out movies in minutes-harry potter in youtube.Its hillarious.

Write a Reply or Comment