Harry Potter to Disapparate from the New York Times Bestseller List

115

May 01, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Next week, for the first time in almost nine and a half years, Harry Potter will not appear on the New York Times bestseller list.. The New York Times‘s article reminds readers that it first appeared on December 27, 1998, and that after a year and a half with the books clogging the top spots, the paper split its list into children’s and adults versions. The article notes that the books are probably going to re-emerge on the list when the movie of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is released in November.

Just for fun, and in remembrance of a great 10 years, here’s a little extra Harry history for you, which is not in the article: The first book appeared at number 16, and didn’t reach number one until the release of Chamber of Secrets in the U.S. in June of 1999. Sorcerer’s Stone first hit number one on the list in August of 1999. The split of the Times‘ list happened right before the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and after a nearly solid year and a half of the three released Potter books cycling through the top handful of spots on the list.

78 Responses to Harry Potter to Disapparate from the New York Times Bestseller List

Avatar Image says:

Oh no, that’s sad. The end of an era….

Yay! second post…thats sad

Avatar Image says:

Actually,I love Harry…but I think it is time for all of us to move on and not stay stucked here…there are so glorious books out there and so great books to be written and we’ll love them..so we just have to accept that..After all,I think that if it lasted forever it would lose some of it’s magic..

Avatar Image says:

But the paperback edition of DH is still to be released… It is the end of an era, but it’s been a fantastic decade.

That sucks

:( That’s sad….......

@ Natalie, I somehow don’t think that HP will ever lose its magic, really. ;D

Avatar Image says:

Wow that’s amazing that the HP books managed to stay on there for so many years! But I guess what goes up must come down…. and then go up again when DH paperback is released, when HBP and DH films come out, when the sottish book is released and who knows – maybe one day when a printed version of Beedle the Bard come out!!

Long live the HP fandom and general wonderfulness of the series!! xD

Avatar Image says:

harry potter books will never lose their magic! theyll return..

Avatar Image says:

I’m crying…more tearing up, but still….this is just a big pile of not-funness!

Avatar Image says:

Let’s all go out and buy more copies! I probably have about five copies of each book already! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter will never ever loose the magic. I am strongly reminded of an editorial written in 1897 in New York, titled, ‘Yes Virginia there is a Christmas’.

With a few well written words and the belief of people worldwide, Harry Potter and I guess more importantly, the Magic of Harry Potter will not be forgotten nor will it loose its appeal to readers both young and old.

Avatar Image says:

It’s s shame, but it will be back on the list I’m sure

Avatar Image says:

The show must go on…so it seems that americans read a lot. BTW who cares about New York times list?! Harry Potter will always be number 1 in the world-and I think until the end of the world. 11 milion copies of DH on first day relase-and thats just DH in one day-6 more books-18 years. lets just wait for something new from Jo and we’ll have world explosion-again.

proud to be HP fan

Avatar Image says:

grrrrr >.> the end of something great

Avatar Image says:

yeah, thats kinda crappy. but why do i care? well, crucio on you new york times best selling list, i still love harry potter. and it will be forever and always, in sickness or in health, for richer or poorer, be #1 in my heart. ;D

Avatar Image says:

What?!? I just bought 10 copies for my classroom! Am I the only one stocking up on the books still?

Avatar Image says:

Though I live in Denmark (and could have chosen to buy the books in Danish), I’ve chosen to buy the English versions instead. I preferred to read HP in the language it was born in. When my daughter will be old enough, I ‘ll “re-discover” HP with her – in Danish! She’ll have her own set of HP books. It might be gone from the bestseller list, I doubt it will be gone from the bookshelves of future generations.

Right on taylor! :)

Avatar Image says:

Its sorta weird that the books have been on the list for 10 years and tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts.Sorta interesting co-winky dink

Avatar Image says:

i’m with you chikit only my extra sets are going to be for my grandchildren i wish this set was out when my boys were young one of their favorite things was having really good stories read to them stories that could really spark thier imagination!!!

Avatar Image says:

that is sooo sad :( it feels like harry is slowly slipping away.

Avatar Image says:

awwwwwwwwwwww…................ that bites :( but hey think about it nine and a half years at the top thats really good.

Avatar Image says:

Well when my neices and nephews are old enough they will have their own copies, there is five of them and they are all under the age of 4 right now, so I willl have to wait awhile before making sure they get introduced to the series. I can’t afford to by them the “trunk” right now or I would, and put it up for them. If only I had money, stupid economy! I personally want to have fancy leatherbound editions in British English, if they make them (I am sure they do, they make them in American English), and then a set (paper back/ hardback don’t care) in German, that will help me with me German, I can read German slightly and speak very little-its more like Eddie Izzard’s skit about his knowledge of french “the cat is next the the chair, the monkey is in the tree” type knowledge of German nothing that you could actually use in normal conversations. So I think strengthening my German would be a good thing, and if I can do it in a fun way, like reading Harry Potter, than hey why not.

Avatar Image says:

oh no thats sad. it will always be the best book and my favorite book even if its not on the bestseller list. ny times should put it back on

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter may be gone from the NYTimes Bestseller list, but it has joined the ranks of classic children’s novels. Harry will stand along side Willy Wonka, Olvier Twist, Jo March, etc. as those other great literary heroes do. Children will soon find HP on assigned reading lists and discuss them in length in English class. Thank you JK for making it fun for children to “read” again.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, so this is my request for movie theaters, when you give the Deathly Hallows movie tickets to the costumer, make sure to give a box of tissue with it cos if this is getting people depressed, imagine the book that we love so dearly in 2D. LOL But, it’s true… At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter. The only way it would matter is if it never had happened.

So, be happy, people. This is the happy ending authors write about….

Avatar Image says:

Another sign that an era is truly ending. Or perhaps, has ended. Only time will tell.

Sigh.

Avatar Image says:

Nine and a half years….wow. But it will always be number 1 on my list.

Avatar Image says:

They need a list for “books the most people have in their homes”. HP would be topping that list, and would continue to be on it for generations.

Avatar Image says:

that right kim i aready have my copies of oliver twist, huck finn tom sawyer,willy wonka put away for my grandchildren hp series is next to go into their personal library no greater gift then great books to expand your imagination. and the great ones dont need to be on nyt’s best seller list as long as they are on mine

Avatar Image says:

Actually, I’m happy. It’s crazy that it can be on a best seller list for so long. This is sad, but i’m glad for it.

Avatar Image says:

Do you not think that when the generation that has grown up with Harry has children of its own that Harry Potter will not enjoy a whole new life? I sure do.

Avatar Image says:

Folks, chillax. It was bound to happen sometime. I never really cared much about it being on the list. It’s not going to change how great it is. Also, I think some people may be confused: it’s not selling as much, the NYT did not take it off. Anyway, it will definitely be back on once the HBP movie comes out. With every movie there are people who have never read the books, but after seeing whichever movie is out, they are prompted to read the books, or at least the ones that come after so they can find out what happens.

Nine and half years is a really long time! Wow!

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter will never, ever loose it’s magic. Ever. It may not be on the New York Times bestselling list, but who cares? Anyway, everyone buys the Harry Potter books as soon as they come out, so obviously they won’t stay on the list forever. Harry Potter will always be number 1 for me and so, I’m sure, so many others. Harry Potter has magic beyond anthing else in this world, and nothing will ever overpower it. <3Harry Potter<3

Avatar Image says:

Es triste que ya no habrá historias de H.P., pero ojalá que pronto Rowling, cumpla su promesa de sacar a la venta pública los otros libros relacionados con el mundo de Harry. Espero que J.K. Rowling venza a lexicon, y al fin pueda hacer el diccionario o enciclopedia de el mundo de Harry.¡¡En México te queremos y apoyamos Rowling, be strong!!!

That’s sad.

Avatar Image says:

I wish we had another HP book to look forward to, but it’s ok-it’s still great to reread them and read other books.

For a while after finishing DH, I was devouring the William books by Richmal Crompton…,its British humour is fantastic and it was a great way to get rid of post-HP depression :) I highly recommend the books-start with Just William if you can.

Avatar Image says:

the end of an age/empire!sob*...feel sad to think hp will slowly wane out…this way…since there’ll b other movies/shows/books that will take over the list etc…but i truly hope hp has and did make its permanent mark in history!

Avatar Image says:

That is just wrong…can’t be true. Jo needs to get her Scottish book published to get her record back on track. I’ve done my part just bought a full new set, on top of the FB, QTTA, my old set of books plus the many copies I’ve given as gifts.

Avatar Image says:

:( thats sad but its impressive what other autor can say my books have been on the bestseller list for 9 year! should be 10 years tho 10 years sounds more impressive somehow :(:(

Avatar Image says:

The end of an era? . . . more like a change in the ether. All of the books from the series (Scottish Book excepted) have been published, and read and reread. But there is more to come. . . the World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Florida is still 20 months away. . . the “Scottish Book” may be the first of several books published at irregular intervals and without the pressure of deadlines. . . there are still three movies to come in the next few years. . . and it would be nice if the rest of the movie from the longest book OOTP were filmed and merged with the existing OOTP movie to give two movies for the longest film. . . then there are all the untold stories. . . i.e. Tell me about Hermione’s journey to reunite with her parents. . . tell me about the changes at Hogwarts and the Ministry as they join with other magical creatures to learn from each other and make the magical world better for all. . . My goodness, you could write several books to tell al the untold stories. . . and I look forward to reading them.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, the DH paperback. And then she’ll come out with the non-jewel encrusted edition of Beedle the Bard. (I wonder if she got a $500 bonus for each week on the List?) And then -woohoo- The Scottish Book. More weeks to come.h

Avatar Image says:

Alright guys everyone needs to start buying them again to put it bakc up!

just kidding :)

...but not really…

Avatar Image says:

All good things must come to an end. It’s a little bittersweet, because Its still amazing that it was a on the list for so long.

Avatar Image says:

OMG – I forgot the full set of audiobooks that I have bought as well. No wonder Jo’s been on the list so long. And I’m ready for the next batch too.

Avatar Image says:

Completely sucks! whats the point in taking it off when it only says splits into adult and child version? it will not give justice to J. K. Rowling, in fact to us also…

Avatar Image says:

Others can move on, that’s cool- but we solid Harry fans will never stop reading.

Avatar Image says:

Gosh…that just makes you feel so sad, to think it’s over now…:-( But it’s been a wonderful,magical decade and I think Potter magic will live on till the end of time, no matter if a bestseller list takes it off!

Avatar Image says:

Harry potter will never end!! There are still 3 films and the themepark. I mean look and pride and prejudice!! Ppl sill read it and its been out like YEARS ago!!

Avatar Image says:

Well, due! Of course it’s no longer there. After ten years on the best-seller list, everyone must have a copy of each book by now so why on Earth would they need to keep buying them? :P

It’s only crazy people like me who have 4 copys of each book (french, british harcover, british paperback and american) lol!

Avatar Image says:

i agree…it is sad. but why are some of you saying it’s the ‘end of something great’ or that that harry potter is ‘losing it’s magic’ The magic of Harry Potter will always be there, it will only fade by people taking attitudes like this. harry potter is forever. after all, it’s only a stupid list, it doesn’t really mean anything.

Avatar Image says:

I have no idea how many times since DH was published I said that I will never forget HP. SO AGAIN HARRY POTTER WILL ALWAYS STAY IN MY HEART!!! and I also have a plan to read it to my children,when I got them, and when they be old enough they will read them on english because the firts, the second, the third and the fifth book are on macedonia but the sixth and the seventh are on english and I want to buy the forth one on english too.I used to have it on macedonia but i give it to someone and never got it back and that is the reason that I stop lending my books to my friends. HARRY POTTER IS NUMBER 1 FOREVER IN MY HEART!!!

Avatar Image says:

May 2nd 2008: Happy Hogwarts Battle Ten Years Anniversary!!!!

I feel sad inside… :(

Avatar Image says:

i wonder if shakespeare was sad when he was bumped off the list?...

Avatar Image says:

Aw no! Harry Potter is already dying…so sad. I feel like we should have a funeral or something. It’s a good thing we’ve got Leaky to keep the Potter love alive!

@franlock

No, no, no…...Harry Potter isn’t dying and the books are inspiring all of us to read and discuss other works as well. JKR will be back on top the minute anything else she publishes hits the shelves. Personally I would love to read something else that she has written that is far away from the Harry Potter theme. Then we can discuss that until the end of time comparing it to Harry Potter etc. and it will go on and on and on, until we are old and gray. OK, I already am on the outside…lol.

Avatar Image says:

I felt sad when I finished the last page of the last book, but being off the best seller list isn’t a sad thing. It was there for nearly a decade and that shows how many people have loved Harry and his adventures! I think the hype has been winding down since the Deathly Hallows came out, and it makes sense that people move on. There’s a natural course to things. But a good book is a good book forever, on or off the list.

Avatar Image says:

Yes – what Cathy and Marie above said. This is not sad, of course the books aren’t going to be on the bestseller lists anymore. They’ve been bought. I’m just glad people are still reading other books. I was also sad when I read the last book, I really enjoyed reading about these characters (and actually, like alot of people, I just decided to read them again). But it’s not any kind of affront to JK Rowling or anything. It’d be impossible for them to stay on the best-seller list without a new book coming out.

Oh, and I just have to correct Nosnibor – it’s: “Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus” (not a “Christmas”).

Avatar Image says:

I had a lot of fun reading the comments on that NY Times blog. Some troll tried to criticize the series and then lash back of responses to defend it was awesome! It’s expected of us in the fandom, but to watch other adults cheer Harry on made me very happy.

Avatar Image says:

Although I am sad about this, I mean i Hva been reading these books for years, and watching them on the best seller list for years, it had to end. I am glad that they are going to be on the best seller list again, I still wanted them to be on the list for the love of the books, and not the movies, although the movies are great

Avatar Image says:

to the New Yourk Time Book Review: ” AVADA KADAVRA”!!!!! A decade has come and gone and those of us who are true”green”eyed lovers of all that is the Potterverse it will never die nor fade! We will be back at the top again in about ten years when Jo finishes/starts her encyclopedia. Whoo Hoo Can’t wait for that. We will be back sooner you think with the release of the next 3 movies (yes three!!)and the opening of TWWOHP in Orlando in 2010. That will open up to a whole new crowd of muggles who will all want to be just like us!

Avatar Image says:

I’m still bitter about the split. The NYTimes Best Seller List lost a lot of credibility in my mind when they pulled that stunt.

The books stand on their own and don’t really need the “recognition” of the NYT.

Avatar Image says:

An era has ended and how privileged many of us were to be a part of that era…

Thank you for all you do…thank you for keeping us updated…it is like having a good friend you can always come back to.

Zulmara

Avatar Image says:

An era has ended and how privileged many of us were to be a part of that era…

Goldenbear

Avatar Image says:

i wonder if shakespeare was sad when he was bumped off the list?...

Thanks for that Luke, I love it.

Avatar Image says:

I’m kinda happy about this, we’ve had 10 years of HP fun, its time to move on i think. Most HP fans have moved on to Twilight i think. It knocked Harry Potter of the top spot last year on the best sellers list. Twilight was no 1 while HP was only number nine. And they were relased within two weeks of eachother. Isn’t that amazing for Twilight! People love it sooo much. Its sexier lol, more mature. And lets be honest with ourselves people. Sexy cool vampires are way better then pansy assed wizards that carry wands around haha. I’m not really slagging HP by the way. I LOVED HP, was totally obssessed with it, but since i’ve read Twilight, HP cannot compare. I’m nearly 22 and I feel that HP is just for children now. Twilight is aimed at an older audience. Even Deathly Hallows, even though a lot of scary, upsetting stuff happens, JK Rowling doesn’t describe it graphic detail because she knows children are reading the book. In Twilight…lets just say i forgot to breath in some parts of the book lol. I laughed my socks off when Bella’s dad tried to have the “sex talk” with her. It was hilarious. She was mortified lol and she was like “ah dad don’t make me say it! I’m a virgin”. Totally priceless! And Edward, omg! there is no better character on the planet! I love it when he growls hehe, so sexy. And his sister Alice is so adorable, she’s obsessed with shopping lol and wants to plan Bellla’s wedding. Poor Bella :( And i think its pretty gas that Edward’s trying to bribe Bella. He’s all like “ok, i’ll turn you into a vampire, if you’ll marry me” and later he was like “ok, i’ll sleep with you… after you marry me” haha poor Bella she never gets what she wants lol.

Avatar Image says:

I don`t care what book is on what booklist. I read a book if it’s enjoyable and HP certainly is.

I have my HP books in my bookshelf and this is the most important issue, well togehter with the audios from Stephen Fry and Jim Dale which I hear regularly too

Avatar Image says:

Ohhh Kerrie I loved your ” I am 22 and Harry is for children now”

Well, I am a bit more than 22 and I enjoy HP very much, I think there is no “age limit” with books. You just like them or not.

The adult version sells well with people who are to embaressed to read the children edition in public. What’s “bad” about reading books that are considered “kids stuff” ?

That’s a personal decision and I dislike the interferrence of people who thinks they are a “autority” (moral, ehtic, religous, political,...) and have the right to tell everybody what’s right and wrong. bahhh.

LONG LIFE HARRY POTTER

Avatar Image says:

Heya EVA HEDWIG. Just want to let you know I still enjoy HP very much too, it was my first love as regards books. I was utterly obsessed lol. But i just think Twilight is better now because i’m older and I am looking for something a bit more mature. I love fantasy books but unfortunaltey most fantasy books are written for children. I’m not saying that Harry Potter is JUST for children, anyone can enjoy it but the fact remains that it was WRITTEN for children. Its a childrens book series at the end of the day. Even when the characters got older and the story got scarier, it was still written for children in mind. Twilight on the other hand is written for young adults and a lot more adults like Twilight then Harry Potter, i can promise you that. There is even a site called twilightmoms.org for fans over 25 and let me tell you that there is a lot of fans over 25 hehe. The intesnsity of Edward and Bella’s relationship….the tempatation etc… is something you would NEVER find in Harry Potter lol. Edward asked Bella to marry him for gods sake and in the 3rd book they almost have sex. And apart from that the Vampires are very scary and cool. They make wizards look tame in my mind. They can rip someone apart with their bare hands. Pretty awsome! Anyway, just to explain. I’ve read all the HP books loads of times, i know them off by heat. The series is finished, over, never coming back so my replacement is Twilight. I started reading Twilight because mugglecast recommended it, saying most HP fans would probably like it. and omg they were completley right. It turned out to be better then i thought it would. Besides any HP fan that started reading the books as a child is a lot older now and is probably looking for something more mature so I would really reccomend Twilight.

Avatar Image says:

P.S. EVA I bought the adult version of Deathly Hallows and its exactly the same as the childrens version so i don’t know you brought that up lol. They’re the exact same book. The book was mainly still written for children in mind. Also, i’m not trying to be an authority. I’m not telling people what is wrong and whats right. I am only RECOMMENDING Twlight because it would appeal to most HP fans who are looking for a replacement because HP is over.

Avatar Image says:

HP isn’t over,,,,,, and nothing can replace Harry Potter no matter wat u all say…

Avatar Image says:

corkypygmypuff: The story of HP IS over sorry. The movies are no-where near as good as the books so they don’t really count. And no i don’t think anything can really replace Harry Potter for some die-hard Harry Potter fans but Twilight is doing a great job of trying. I was the biggest Harry Potter fan EVER! totally obsessed but once i read Twilight it made me realise that HP is actually just written for kids and i shouldn’t be so obsessed with a kids book. It also made me realise that HP is a bit boring compared to Twilight. I instantly became attached to all the characters of Twilight and because captivated by the intensity of their relationships. Harry Potter does not have this. As I said, Twilight is aimed at an older audience so you can’t really compare them. HP is for kids, Twlight is not. I was only pointing out that Twilight is a great replacement for people who miss Harry Potter or want to move onto something more mature. They are both fantasy books at the end of the day right? Besides, clearly Twilight is a great replacement because according to New York Times, its BETTER then Harry Potter. Only stating a fact. Perhaps you should actually try reading Twilight and THEN judge. It IS possible for a book to be better then Harry Potter you know. Just because Harry Potter was very very popular does not mean its the best book series in the world and that other book can’t be better then it. Judging by the internet I would say that Twilight has waaay more fans at the moment. Sorry. It doesn’t matter anyway, there is only one more Twilight book coming out in august then the series is finished so it won’t matter anyway. I bet the Twilight movie will make more money then HBP. OOTP really really sucked so i don’t think that many people will bother going to HBP, especially because they are leaving out Bill and Fleur. The HP movies really suck compared to the books. Acting, Directing, script writing. Its all pretty terrilbe sadly. Thats just my opinion but i’d be willing to bet money that the Twilight movie makes more money then HBP and does better in the box office.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, the great joy of reading is that you get to go to new places and meet new people. Still, I will continue to read the series at least once every three years because it will always be a #1 to me. Thanks JK for allowing so many of us to live in our imagination.

Hi Kerrie,

When I mentioned autoritarian figures who try to tell us what to do when in our lives, I certainly was not referring to you. I am sorry that my opinion was taken like this… no way. We are all equal here in Leaky, reading and enjoing the HP world in different aspects in our lives.

Sure, we have different opinions and that makes the reading of the comentaries interesting. This is an international fan-site and rich of comments.

Well HP certainly is written, thinking of kids in the first place so Jo never used explicit lenguages or contents. And I am very glad of this. For me this makes a very nice reading. The HP fansites are full of Fan Fictions with more mature contents, but I haven’t had the curiousity to enter once.

For me it`s just fine, how Jo describes her caracters and their adventures. I am also glad that the persons in it have some good privacy. Like DD and Gellert beeing gays. Snapes secrets till the end of DH. Hermiones and Ron romantic engagement till the end of DH also.

Yes the adult version has the same contents, it’s made the books to look more “mature” when reading it.

Avatar Image says:

This is so strange. It is absolutely amazing to think that these books have not been out of the list for so long and now it’s slowly dyeing down. We’re all soooo privileged to be apart of the whole thing. But guys it’s not over! We still have three more movies, a theme park and who knows what else to come!!! haha

Potter Forever!!! =]

Avatar Image says:

That is horrible. At my school, everyone is reading a series that rips off of Harry Potter and no one likes it any more except for me. Oh, and Natalie, I think it would be interesting if you went on a date with a serial killer. Let’s just see what happens next, shall we? Oh, and I agree with Taylor. But the New York Times bestseller list should die anyway.

Write a Reply or Comment