iTunes to Offer Warner Bros Movie Downloads Day of DVD Release

116

May 02, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Calling all iTunes fans! Apple has announced a new deal with Warner Brothers that will allow downloads of movies the same day the DVD is released. Wired reports that “new-release downloads will be priced at $15, while catalog titles will still cost $10 per download.” Other reports state that the “inclusion of Warner, which has the biggest film library in Hollywood, significantly bolsters the video content available to buy on iTunes. Other studios involved in the deal include 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Lionsgate.”

Warner Brothers, producers of the Harry Potter films, has already made the Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix movie available for purchase and rent via iTunes. While we do not know yet when WB will offer the older Harry Potter films and the upcoming “Half-Blood Prince” on iTunes, we will update with more on this when we can.

One related note: Scores of you have asked when the audio book of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” will be available for download on iTunes, however our many requests for information on this have gone unanswered, alas. We are still continuing to try to obtain further information we promise, and will update the minute we hear more on this.

23 Responses to iTunes to Offer Warner Bros Movie Downloads Day of DVD Release

first??? Good idea

ooh that’s cool! Free, yippee

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been waiting for the audiobook… c’mon iTunes!

Avatar Image says:

This news is great for all the iPod users out there who would like to obtain the movie to watch on their devices as soon as possible.

Still, I’ll stick to the good old DVD for now for all future releases. I like my special features. The day that iTunes releases movies with their interactive menus and all that little extra stuff, will be the day I embrace the model. XD

Avatar Image says:

LUPIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAT AUDIOBOOK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

@Picazo,

I believe Lupin is referring to the Deathly Hallows Audio Book.

Avatar Image says:

Sweet! it’s convenient and eco-friendly.

Avatar Image says:

Netflix, Amazon Unbox, Itunes. . . I have a large screen 1080P TV and HD TIVO and none, NONE of the services offers the HD versions for download. Why bother? If it isn’t 1080I, it just isn’t.

Avatar Image says:

Poor you Pheonix! I really like using iTunes for movies and music, because it’s so much more eco-friendly. This way, I can watch the movie on the day of the dvd release, and not buy it in hard copy.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t beleive that you people would prefer watching any movie, let alone Harry Potter on a hand held thing with a 3 inch screen. Not me. I will buy the DVD and watch in my Television any day over these stupid I Pod machines. I haven’t seen one yet that anything other than jerky images and poor quality video, not to mention lousy sound. Yuch. Give me a good solid DVD any day.

Avatar Image says:

Come on… Don’t promote DRMed garbage to your readership. I am guessing people want to actually own (as in have the rights to do whatever they want with) their Harry Potter merchandise. There are many better options out there than iTunes…

@ Bruce

The new I pods are actually realy good to watch movies on (ive got OotP on mine and its awesome!) its only if the file is not converted properly that the playback is poor. i wouldnt mind getting the films via I tunes but i do still like having a DVD which i can play anywhere

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone have a clue when you’ll be able to download movies in the UK itunes store?

ah, sweet!

Avatar Image says:

That is good for some, great for others but i will stick to solid dvd on tv. I like orginal. If you can aford a i pod and then i tunes and then a computer to down load its assume and they come in handy when your stuck somewhere and want something to do.1 1 0 _

Avatar Image says:

I am sure a lot of people get both versions. I have a few movies on DVD and in digital copy because I have to ride a bus in to downtown every day for work, so it’s nice having a movie to pass the time. I think it’s be sweet if they released DVD copies that included a digital copy – like “Juno” did.

Avatar Image says:

(sorry for the double post)

Avatar Image says:

No bueno. I hate to see that you guys are all psyched about this but you don’t know what it means. iTunes is notorious for encrypting everything they put in the iTunes store and even independent podcasts under Creative Commons Licensing with DRM.

Most of you don’t understand the problem so I will explain as best I can: Digital Rights Management is a term that refers to the amount of control media publishers and content creators choose to give their consumers over a product, specifically the use of digital media technologies. DRMs are used to prevent “theft” of copyrighted material but all they really do is restrict the consumer, that would be you, from using that copyrighted material you bought how you want to in ways that are not covered by existing laws. Basically, companies like Sony, Apple, and Microsoft sell you stuff and you have to use what YOU purchased with YOUR money on THIER terms.

Do yourself a favor: Don’t feed the machine.

Avatar Image says:

I’m pretty sure we’re all aware of the terms, Krystal. Everyone knows that there are restrictions on iTunes. They aren’t designed to restrict us, but to prevent pirating from occuring.

Avatar Image says:

Well. Itunes = DRM = bad. I don’t own an ipod because of this (and the price too). And not about to change. Now that i’m use to be able to do a simple copy past to get my music on my player, i can’t go back to a drm-ised-needs-windows-software mp3 player.

I just like to read my music and movie the way I want. Including with linux :)

Remembers about her hp1 bonus dvd she a to make an uncrypted copy of, so as to be able to read it. Yeah, the copy protection was pretty effective in preventing me from reding the dvd i payed for, but totally ineffective in preventing me from copying it…

I sure bellive that affordable download for music and movies are the way to go, but they need to loose the drm first.

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully WB does the “managed copy” thing on the bluray, so I can just get that and kill 2 birds with one stone… Get my Portable and high def copy in one.

Avatar Imageiphonebooy says: Most dvd got drm protect.So you need to remove its drm. Then convert its format to fit itunes. This kind of software are called dvd to itunes transfer. You may need this. http://www.dvdtoitunes.net/Avatar Imageiphonebooy says: Most dvd got drm protect.So you need to remove its drm. Then convert its format to fit itunes. This kind of software are called dvd to itunes transfer. You may need this. http://www.dvdtoitunes.net/

Write a Reply or Comment