“Half-Blood Prince” News: The Return of Opal Yarn Images, New Casting and More

113

May 08, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There are a few pieces of news related to the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince yet today. First, readers will recall previously there was a purported ad promoting the sixth Harry Potter film seen on container for yarn of all things. Although a few of these images also appeared on the Opal yarn website, WB told us the cardboard stand marketing was a fake. Today, thanks to our Order partner RupertGrint.net, we know that same yarn company has now uploaded eight new images of yarn, with labels featuring cast members and clearly marked Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in German. These images show Harry and Ron, Lupin, Malfoy, Dumbledore and more. You can see them here at the yarn website UPDATE: You can also see them here in our galleries. In addition, we have also contacted WB again regarding this manner, and of course, will update with more as soon as we can.

Casting news for Half-Blood Prince also continues to trickle out. TLC reader Lisette emailed to say she spotted several new casting mentions for extras in the film, including an actress named Teresa Mahoney who will be playing “Sofie (Boardroom -Opening Scene).” While we had heard rumors that the opening scene with the Other Minister was to be cut, we are uncertain as to what this may mean.Other casting include Dean Garnham as a Slytherin student, and Daniel Barnett as a “Slughorn Ball Graduate.”

Finally, ABC Family has announced that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban will be re- broadcast on May 24. While rumors are rampant that the teaser trailer for Half-Blood Prince is due soon in theaters, we do not know at this point if any new HBP footage will be broadcast during this show as well. Readers will remember of course, that several times previously new film footage and sneak peeks have aired in previous Harry Potter films showing on ABC family, however we do not know if this will hold true for HBP. We are working to learn more about this, and again will update as soon as we can.

84 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” News: The Return of Opal Yarn Images, New Casting and More

Yay! News from Suz!

OMG, first post, yay!!!

even though, it’s just some minor roles, but i’m still so excited. !!! can’t wait till the movie

Avatar Image says:

sweet new HBP news, and i have to wonder what WB will have to say about the yarn packaging, i really do hope they put the other minister part in the movie as its Scrimgeor’s intro and i have always that thought it would be a intersting touch if they could get Who ever was british primie minster at the time that the books take place in to place himself in it, and 2nd whoo

He he he im #3!!

Avatar Image says:

I thought there was going to be a trailer for HBP before The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian? That’s the only reason I was going to go see it.

Avatar Image says:

those pictures look the same as the ones in ootp .. yeey new casting and cant waitt for teaser trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oops! I email a news tip about the casting roles right when this comes up! :S

Avatar Image says:

It’s just a rumor that the teaser will be appearing before Caspian, though I’m hoping it to be true…

Avatar Image says:

You’d think WB would try to release some photos, etc. more so now that there aren’t any books left to stimulate interest in the movie, especially in people other than die-hards…oh well

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE….

(takes a breath)

...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Finally!! Oh, please let this mean that the flood of official HBP hi-res pics, teaser trailers, movie clips, and set reports is about to begin!

I can’t think of anything specific to say about the pics themselves except “What happened to Tonks’s hair?!” Hee. Oh, happiness.

(This is also a nice bit of vindication for those people who were insisting that the pics from the first promo stand were legit, even if the display itself was a fake.)

Avatar Image says:

Yay.. thanks for putting it up!!

I really hope (altho it has been denied.. but maybe they want it to be a surprise) that Scrimgoeur is in!!

I’d love for Bill Nighy to be in HP!!

Avatar Image says:

i can’t wait any longer for a trailer…

Avatar Image says:

Yay.. thanks for putting it up!!

I’d love for Bill Nighy to be in HP!!

Must. Have. Sock. Yarn.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t get it… Why yarn?

Avatar Image says:

This is great, thanks Leaky.

Ya know, WB are really being horrible about HBP. They have released pretty much NOTHING since that little sneak peek. And then they lie about the yarn- which we KNOW have some real promo pictures on them, we’re not that stupid.

Honestly, if the HBP trailer isn’t coming out with Narnia, I will be thoroughly angry. WB, you owe us some explanations as to the official release of the trailer and pictures. It will top off my summer holiday to get pictures right beforehand. PLEASE. We KNOW you have them now. We don’t care if it’s early- we want some of them, and we want them HQ and blown up so we can analyze our brains out and “ohh” and “aww”. Even Twilight is getting better promotion than you right now!

Anybody else so glad to see yarn?!? But ya know what? This is aggravating if we won’t get bigger versions of these probably from months?!

Avatar Image says:

@sam, I think it’s because of the word “Opal” – referring to the Cursed Opal necklace used by Draco – although why they would want to be associated with a cursed necklace is beyond my imagination!

Avatar Image says:

These pictures are totally new!!!!!!!!!! And I love Harry’s hair…and I love Ron looking so brave again..(I was afraid that with the return of the previous screenwriter he’d be once again ready to wet his pants[thank you Yates!!]) I love Tonks’s hair!!!!Why oh why is she dead???And Lupin!!! Love him too! And I missed seeing Draco in a poster! We haven’t seen him since the 2nd movie I think! Oh my God!!! Imagine how excited I’ll be with the official pictures and the trailer!! (If we get any, with that bloody WB!)

@Libby.. Hear Hear!

@TarsieS.. lol!

Overall: Twilight’s promotion is FAR better than HP’s and Twilight is set for December and HP for November.. so you would expect som emore than two pictures and alot of questions and angry fans

Avatar Image says:

thats so cute and kinda weird, you can get tonks and lupin yarn, you could knit them together into a big happy sweater.

Avatar Image says:

I need a trailer, N O W – before I pass out. Lol x)

myris, your comment made me LOL. :D

I was too busy squeeing over the pictures (and the thought that it might mean that the HBP promotions are finally about to begin in earnest) to make note of it in my first post, but this…

... is encouraging. We might just get the scene with the Muggle PM after all!

Avatar Image says:

Now that I think about it (three posts later I rewrite).. I think that the first think WB wants us to see is the trailer!!! Which I think is kind of nice!!! It’ll be nice for a change you know!! To see the action first and the screencaps later…. IF ONLY WE HAD SEEN IT ALREADY!

Avatar Image says:

@ Natalie – good theory. :) I agree with you now. & I do think it’s kind of nice, saving the trailer for us to see first, then pictures after. =) Well, now I’m even more excited than usual.

. . . Does anyone else think it’s weird that they don’t have Hermoine on any of the yarn, especially since she’s the only one that actually knits?

Lol. That’s really hilarious. :D

Avatar Image says:

I like the Tonks picture that is about the only one I can see properly. I agree that they need to start giving us some trailers and clips. I dont have any idea what they are hiding from. It really is quite stupid we even know about some movies that come out three years from now, so give us the darn trailer already or official stills.

@Sam:

It’s yarn because of the Weasley sweaters, Hogwarts scarves, Hermione’s knitting hobby, and probably because Dumbledore says he loves reading Muggle knitting patterns..

Avatar Image says:

LOL so true Jess. I can’t believe we are talking about Yarn it’s so funny.

Re teaser trailer. I think that WB is too busy with their other fims at the moment (The Dark Knight for one). HPB isn’t coming out till November. I know it sucks but we just have to be wait but cross our fingers that it will be out next week with Narnia.

And FYI everyone if you read anything about Clémence Posy saying she isn’t going to be in DH it’s not true as she hasn’t even been asked yet. Other HP sites are reporting this but she said in the April issue of Empire mag that if she was asked then she would do it. They got the info off a fashion blog that didn’t even talk to Clémence directly. It’s gossip plain and simple.

Avatar Image says:

Hurray! It’s so great to get some HBP photos!

And it’s so…. weird… that I’m getting excited about… yarn….

Avatar Image says:

There are some really active Potter fans who are yarn crafters. There is an entire book of HP-inspired knitting patterns called “Charmed Knits.” Opal is a well-established German sock yarn manufacturer, known for unique inspirations for their lines of yarns. Other releases have been colors of rainforest animals, or colors in paintings by the artist Huntertwasser. Sock knitting is a bit of a craze for knitters lately, although the yarn can be used for other things. I’ve read that this yarn will probably retail in the U.S. for about $22 a skein (similar to Opal’s other lines), with a skein making about one pair of socks or a scarf. All that said, knitters were surprised and delighted that yarn would be worthy of a HBP tie-in!

Avatar Image says:

Hm, if these are real it looks like they tried to age Tonks a bit, or at least make her look a bit more mature. MUST. HAVE. TRAILER.

Avatar Image says:

So. Are we allowed to link to the older set of Yarn photos now? The ones we were told were fake? I bet they were the mock ups/protrotypes for this set.

Avatar Image says:

I was wondering the same thing, YodatheHobbit. The WB has egg on their face with this one, don’t they?

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOD I—I can barely see the characters. Damn curved surface!

[OMG LUPIN!]

Avatar Image says:

Well, let’s try it, shall we?

If you want to see the older set of Opal Sock Yarn photos, the ones WB tried to tell us were fake, go here:

(waits to see if this comment is deleted)

Avatar Image says:

I think I would like to buy that yarn and make a scarf.

But I don’t know where to get it.

Avatar Image says:

Woah…the women that plays Sofie (who the heck is sophie?) looks really old..how can she play a student! Same with that Dean guy. They look soooo much older than the rest of the cast!

Avatar Image says:

GIVE_ME_THE_TRAILER! I must see extra clips!!!! There needs to be pivotal, dramatic scenes, without any spoilers, Snape, Harry and Ginny kissing, Snape, a really exciting feel, Snape, characters saying important things, Snape, and Evil Force by X-Ray Dog as the music! Oh, and did I mention Snape? I would love that as a trailer!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think anyone will read this post.. but i’m posting it anyway..

Sofie isn’t supposed to be a Hogwarts Student.. Her playing age is 28..

I think she will be playing a Muggle.. Something in the PM’s Boardroom?

Someone reminded me of news we got a long time ago, about the opening scene being with all this chaos and a bridge collapsing.. well that might be the opening scene and then we see the Boardroom with the Prime Minister and this Sofie.. and maybe.. just maybe ^^.. when everyone’s left the boardroom Scrimgoeur will come walking in :D

hey.. i can always dream okay!

Avatar Image says:

Nice!!! I can’t wait for the trailer! How come Hermione is not in it??

Avatar Image says:

Good lord, what have we been reduced to? We’re so starved or HBP info that we’re resorting to analysing low-resolution photographs of YARN PACKAGING.\

Just give us the damn teaser trailer, WB! We ARE that desperate!

LOL…touche Muddtallica

Avatar Image says:

A tribute to Dumbledore’s love of knitting patterns?

LOL. What a strange way to see the first few photos from HBP.

Avatar Image says:

who can tall me:when will be the 6th film about HP?

Avatar Image says:

LOL @ Hedwig getting a ball of yarn and not Hermione.

Tonks’s new look is interesting…

LoL Muddtallica.

You know, I’m really starting to feel less and less confident that the teaser will be released in front of Caspian. I completely trust Sue, and I know she wouldn’t post information if it didn’t come from a good source, but WB has never released a HP teaser without giving us a few weeks notice. If nothing is confirmed by Monday, I don’t expect to see a trailer until Get Smart or Dark Knight is released.

Remember, it’s been less than a year since OotP came out, so maybe they want to wait a full year before releasing a trailer?

Avatar Image says:

which is the boardroom scene/??

Avatar Image says:

Ha that was funny Gryffendor Bob, Snape Snape and Snape, yah thats all I want to see in this next film so he better have plenty more lines. After all who is he? and Bellatrix and Cissy cant wait to see them its going to be great but we are severely starved we are going to go bonkers if we havent all ready if they keep depriving us of info. Damn WB. just give it too us.

Avatar Image says:

YEAH! Thanks for the Update! and them yarns are COOL!

Avatar Image says:

Wow. Really, wow. Yarn? OK, that’s really weird. Pictures are way cool though!

Avatar Image says:

it is so sad that HP fans have to go to a yarn company to get new pic ,for a film we are waiting for so patiently. WB please give us something,anything so we want have to resport to that

Avatar Image says:

I am so geeked that Lupin and Tonks are being marketed I could just die! [I won’t of course, lol] I think this movie is going to be great even with all of the cuts and changes.

Avatar Image says:

@Miss.Potter You were? What scene were you in? I have a friend that was in Charlie’s Angels 2 and Old School… I was going to do extra work with him, but I didn’t have the money to join the talent agency at the time. Now he no longer does the extra work.

Avatar Image says:

Ah, I see my comment from last night (on page 2) is still up, so I guess we are allowed to link to the older set of Opal Yarn photos… for now, at least.

In case anyone missed that link to the other set of yarn pics, here it is again: http://community.livejournal.com/hbpmoviepics/21641.html#cutid1

And yes, it really is pathetic that we’ve been reduced to staring at the pictures on skeins of yarn, LOL. The WB really needs to have pity on us and give us some official hi-res pictures.

Avatar Image says:

I hate to be a wet blanket to all the Snape fans, but I doubt he’s going to be very prominent in the trailer, because the WB isn’t going to want to give too much away and spoil the ending for the non-book fans. If Snape was in every other scene in the trailer, then they might as well have big red arrows pointing at him, with a caption in allcaps reading, “HEY EVERYONE, SNAPE IS THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!!!”

That’s not to say that he probably won’t feature in the hi-res pics the WB will (hopefully) be sending us soon. After all, they send those pics to fan sites like Leaky, and everyone here already knows the books by heart anyway, so there’s no spoiling the ending for us.

But as far as the teaser trailer, the full-length trailer, and the television commercials go, they’re the sort of things that are designed mostly to bring in people who haven’t read the books and don’t know the ending. So I think they’ll probably downplay Snape. We’ll probably get one, maybe two shots of him, but I wouldn’t count on much more.

Avatar Image says:

i am really startimg to become bored with this they need to put out this tralier and give us a few pics…..i am REALLY GETTING BORED WITH THIS NO NEW, NO GOOD NEWS AND JUST DOWN RIGHT LAME NEWS ABOUT YARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WB STEP UP THE GAME NOW!!!!!!!! BEFORE US FANS LOOSE INTREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

OMG Tonks’ hair is so short! yay haha they thought that we wouldn’t find these lol!

Avatar Image says:

Draco looks slightly yummy there. When are we getting these in higher res? Waaaahhhhhhhh!

Avatar Image says:

Dang! I need to get me some yarn! (with all the Lupin-y goodness _)

OH! SO FUN!! CANT WAIT!

i am just bubbling over with excitment! i hope they wil give sneak peaks during PoA on ABC Family! They usually do but its usually closer to the movie release, but still, a girl can dream….

Live, Love,Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE this yarn advertising business, its hilarious. please please please please please talk about this odd anomaly on PotterCast!

Avatar Image says:

Count me as another one who can’t quite believe we’ve been reduced to squealing over pictures on yarn wrappers (seriously, WB, this is your fault, why so stingy with the movie news?).

Nonetheless, I’m as excited to see these pics as anyone! I think I’m actually more excited about the first set of “yarn photos” that was released (the ones Ashley linked to), because the one of Harry (fifth from the top on the page Ashley linked) looks like HE’S HOLDING THE FELIX FELICIS (squee!), and the one of Ron (third from the top) looks like HE’S HOLDING ROMILDA’S CHOCOLATES (squee!!

Avatar Image says:

Um, I’ve no idea how that x-box image got into my post…

Avatar Image says:

I so desperate for the trailer!! I want to see the movieeeee!!!! Now!

@ English Ivy

Aha! I hadn’t noticed, but I think you’re right about Ron holding Romilda’s chocolates. You can see the red curve of the box on the right side of the picture. Plus, Ron has this stupefied sort of grin on his face, like he’s under the influence of some substance, LOL.

I’m not sure about Harry holding the Felix in that picture, but it’s definitely a possiblity. I just really hope that the WB starts giving us some hi-res pictures next week.

Avatar Image says:

who is Sofie? I dont remember a sofie in the book.

Avatar Image says:

Please let this be true. I was disappointed when they didn’t show any footage of the HBP when they aired GOF. Hope they do show some small clips durning breaks. Lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Avatar Image says:

I saw Harry holding the felix felicis but I can’t see Ron holding Romilda Vanes chocolates.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry I still don’t see them. If someone could draw a circle around the objects so I can see. And put the picture back on the enternet for me? I’d appreciate it. Thanks alot. Plus where are the yarn pictures of Hermione, Ginny, Dumbledore, Slughorn, Lavender, and Snape?

Avatar Image says:

@ starfish: It’s the third picture from the top, the one with Ron smiling. On the right side of the picture is something red and curved, which looks to me like it could be part of a heart-shaped box of Valentine’s chocolates that Ron is holding up to show to someone.

Avatar Image says:

Also, starfish, I think that’s probably Ginny and Harry in the picture at the top (I’m talking about the ones at this link, of course: http://community.livejournal.com/hbpmoviepics/21641.html#cutid1), so Ginny is represented (sort of). As for Hermione and the other characters you mentioned, no official pictures of them have been released yet.

Avatar Image says:

asheyl: I looked and looked. That red thing on the right I think it is the inside of his robes and that is ron in the picture with him not ginny i didn’t see her anywhere.

Avatar Image says:

also ashley: If you very close you can see that the inside of ron’s robes is red. So it doesn’t look like he’s holding anything.

I. Want. Wool.

I’m not sure why, I never seem to have time to knit …

Avatar Image says:

Hermione isn’t there! Why?? And i don’t like Tonk’s new look! She looked better on OotP!

Avatar Image says:

but are we sure these pics arefrom HBP ? they look so mch like the OOTP one’s

Avatar Image says:

Twilight will be HP! Sorry, but get a new director!!!

Go away, Twilight troll.

Avatar Image says:

starfish, are you looking at the ones at this link? http://community.livejournal.com/hbpmoviepics/21641.html#cutid1

Because those are the pictures I’m talking about, not the ones linked in the article above. The one I think might be of Ginny and Harry is the first one, the one at the very top. Whoever it is with Harry, it’s definitely not Ron, because it’s clearly a girl with long, straight hair. And look again at the one of Ron (third from top); he’s not even wearing his school robes in that picture, so it can’t be the inside of his robes. It still looks to me like the corner of a heart-shaped box. But I could be wrong.

Avatar Image says:

I am such a geek, but I would love to knit Harry Potter blankets. It would be so fun. Yes I think we need Hermione and Mrs. Weasley. Mrs. Weasley knits stuff for EVERONE! Don’t you think?

Avatar Image says:

i think there real cause be the look of it narcissa malfoy is there

Avatar Image says:

Twilight ROCKS!!! Stephenie Meyer killed Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Who the heck is Stephenie Meyer?

Avatar Image says:

“You know what I think – that first set of wool HAVE got fake HBP on them. WB said they were fake at first – when the first set got released. I think the new ones might be the real deal – you can tell by the hair. I think they mocked up the fake wrappers for that yarn conference from old pictures. The new ones look legit now.

I. Want. Wool.

I’m not sure why, I never seem to have time to knit …”

Repeat after me.

THEY. ARE. NOT. FAKE.

Opel uploaded them before WB approved them/wanted them to.

They were on the same Opel site these are on and were taken down by WB.

I saw them with my own eyes on the official Opel site!!!!!!

Here are pictures I took before they were taken down that prove it!

Write a Reply or Comment