“Half-Blood Prince” Set Visit Report and New Tom Felton Photo

115

May 13, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have a real treat for you today, as there is a detailed report now available regarding a visit to the set of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Originally posted in our Leaky Lounge forum, TLC reader Tash kindly sent along a fantastic report of her visit to the set of the sixth Harry Potter movie, where she gives some tantalizing details about things we can see in the coming film. Of note are details about Weasley Wizard Wheezes (including U-no-poo!), an intriging case containing vials of memories, tidbits on the Sectumsempra scene, mentions of Knockturn Alley, Borgin and Burkes sets, the orphanage set and more. Also of note is this new photo of actor Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy. To read excerpts of this lengthy detailed report, scroll down for more (slight spoilers) or click here to read the entire report here in our forum.

Many thanks Tash!

SCROLL

SCROLL

SCROLL

SCROLL

Excerpts of “Half-Blood Prince” set visit report:

I saw The Burrow both the inside and outside sets; the outside set had been burnt in a Death Eater attack. The inside of The Burrow was amazing, the attention to detail. I climbed up the stairs to Ron’s room, the bedrooms aren’t there but the corridors have doors coming off them with pictures and ornaments. One of the doors had a picture of mushrooms on it. Downstairs there were two clocks, one with the whole family’s names on and scissors for hands, the other was smaller with a list of jobs to do. There were even postcards written to Ron on the bookcase, howlers (or just letters like blue paper aeroplanes), a wizarding newspaper on a coffee table and children’s painting of magical creatures framed on the walls. The guy showing us around said that it was the hardest set to build because nothing was straight or regular sized.

We walked around Diagon Alley. Ollivanders had been destroyed, all the windows were smashed and it was trashed. The shops had complete interiors in case the camera caught a glimpse inside by accident. Quality Quidditch supplies had a Quidditch equipment display, uniforms on dummies and drawers full of clothing. Florean Fortescue’s had fake ice cream sundaes lining the walls on shelves. Florish and Blotts had hundreds of books inside the doorway piled up and on shelves. The large books in the windows are actually Watford phone directories covered!

But WWW stood out in bright orange with a curved front door. It was the most wonderful place. It was like every dream you had as a kid. There were skiving snack boxes, puking pastels, U-no-poo, sweets from floor to ceiling. It had a set of stairs winding up the middle and was three floors high. The detail was amazing; the shelves were crooked with brightly coloured goods on every surface. It was truly breath taking. At the end of our tour we watched them filming a scene there. When you see the scene where Fred and George are talking to Ron on the stairs, he asks how much for an item, they say ’5 galleons’, Ron says ‘but I’m your brother’ and they say ’10 galleons’. Well I am standing behind the stairs (out of sight) by the door! It took eight takes just for that few seconds and I was told they only complete 2 minutes of film a day.

We saw Knockturn Alley but the lights weren’t on so it was by torch light! Saw Borgin and Burkes that way. The vanishing cabinet was in the centre of the shop, it was dark wood with a slanted roof. There were lots of skulls and creepy looking objects ’ even creepier due to the lack of lighting. There were wanted posters on the alley walls for Bellatrix and the Carrows.

We were taken to the tank where all the underwater scenes are filmed. We went downstairs and there was a large window looking into the tank. It is the deepest tank in Europe and the smell of chlorine stung my eyes. The water was bath temperature and there were scaffolding towers inside the tank. Next to it there were a row of wetsuits and breathing apparatus. The boat scenes in the cave with Dumbledore and Harry were filmed here.

We couldn’t get into moaning Myrtle’s bathroom because it was locked. They filmed the Sectumsempra scene there last week. They told me Tom had to lie in the fake blood and water for hours. He had a prosthetic chest on which pumped out fake blood and for each new take he had to get cleaned up and dry his hair before starting again. There are some pictures floating about of the scene and they look like Tom is lying dead in a pool of blood, very freaky for his friends to see!

The costume department was very interesting; I ran my hands over the invisibility cloak. There were a few and one had the velvet outside that we see on the films and another had green screen sewn into it. Saw Katie Bell’s red costume, Bellatrix’s, Snape’s and well, basically everyone’s. Luna’s wardrobe was suitably eclectic. There were lots of black cloaks and Quidditch uniforms and pictures of the cast in their outfits with lists of their measurements hanging on the rails. They all have at least three of every item of clothing in case one is damaged. The stunt people’s clothing is exactly the same as the cast’s but in bigger sizes so that the protective pads can fit underneath. The actor who plays Neville is actually quite slim and wears padding to bulk him out.

They were filming a stunt on green screen that will take place on the millennium bridge. I saw Bellatrix’s stunt double in place but they were waiting for more cloud by the time we got there and everyone had stopped for ice creams! There was a woman with black hair with a white streak through it and I was told she was the double for Narcissa (can’t confirm that though, thought she was blonde?).

It was a beautiful day and most of the cast who weren’t filming were enjoying the sun. Luna was having her hair plaited and other people were sitting about or playing sports. We were told that it’s not always like that and sometimes it can be stressful (Ha!). Everyone there was so nice and took the time to say hi or tell us all about their specialist area. It was a truly wonderful day.

95 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” Set Visit Report and New Tom Felton Photo

AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

can’t wait for this movie to come out!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! HBP news! We’ve been starved of it so badly that we’ve resorted to analysing balls of yarn. :) First comment?

Avatar Image says:

WOW! That report was absolutely fantastic! I think this is gonna be a great movie! The attention to detail on all these sets just amazes me! It appears to me that they are not toning down the sectumsempra scene, which Im really excited about. Its so cool to hear about the cave scenes being filmed! Yay yay yay! Where is the trailer?!

Avatar Image says:

sweet, everything looks awesome!! I’m so glad sectumsempra is in there!!! yay but if Narcissa has black hair I will probably have to injure someone….

Avatar Image says:

I can’t freaking wait!!! 6 more months… sigh.

Avatar Image says:

“There are some pictures floating about of the scene and they look like Tom is lying dead in a pool of blood, very freaky for his friends to see!”

where?! where are these photos?!

great report, getting more and more excited by the day _

Avatar Image says:

I think black hair with a white streak MUST be Bellatrix in fact – that is her description from the OotP movie.

It’s a great report thanks a bunch! Like bunches of bunches of a bunch. AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

I know what you mean, about Narcissa, Andrea…but maybe it was the actress’ OWN hair! I don’t think they are going to go that far “off the mark”...I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

Very Cool report ! Thanks for all the detail! It’s great to to read about what’s happening with the movie. Thanks, from a Huge fan of both Dan Radcliffe & Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

So glad to find that some of the scenes that we thought were going to get cut (WWW) and other are now in the movie afterall.

Avatar Image says:

Nice report. Just a quick question- if they’re going to keep in the sectumsempra spell from in the bathroom then why cut moaning myrtel out/

Avatar Image says:

OMG! you were so lucky to get to visit the set! By the sound of it it was an awesome experience! I can’t wait to see the movie or some pictures or a trailer!!! Damn it! lol.

Avatar Image says:

about time we get some new HBP news and the photo of tom/draco is cool, and im prepareing my owl post order to WWW as we speak (lol) i think they meant bella trix but if it is narcissa somebody is gonna get crucioed fingers wand

Oh I love it.. can’t wait to see – very detailed report – THANK YOU

Avatar Image says:

WOW! We’ve been so hungry for any HBP news, this is a breather! Thanks a lot for sending in this report! It sounds so cool, gosh, I can’t wait! When is that trailer coming out?!

Avatar Image says:

WOW! I am insanely jealous right now, what an awesome experience, and YAY, finally some HBP news! Come on, trailer!!! I am so excited to hear about all the tiny details they put into everything and WWW especially! WHOOHOO!! One thing that struck me (from the long version of the report) is the mention of Katie Bell’s stuff, i thought they were substituting Cho for all of her scenes? I hope it IS Katie after all, that would imply to me that they are paying more attention to canon and keeping more in than usual, perhaps. One can hope. Fantastic report, thanks so much!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I think they meant Bella. We’ve already seen images of Narcissa and she doesnt have dark hair with a white streak.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, the Burrow is torched. It sounds like they are done with it. So the wedding in DH will definitely have to be somewhere else. Unless they’re going to try and say that Arthur and Molly Weasley could somehow afford to have it rebuilt in the months between Christmas of HBP and the beginning of DH. I wonder where they’ll say the Weasleys are living after the Burrow is destroyed (Grimmauld Place?). That was an impressive report, what a memory she had! Every little detail, I feel like I was there myself.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my God!!!!! They have filmed my favourite scene in the 6th book!!!Please, leave it in the movie!!!!! And GIVE US THE TRAILER!!

And I mean Sectumsempra…

Avatar Image says:

A most excellent report. Thank you so much.

Avatar Image says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

that is all.

Avatar Image says:

Happy, happy, happy. I cannot wait. Please give us more, More, MORE!

OMG, YOUR SO LUCKY!! I WANT A TRAILER NOW!! :( /sARA

OMG, YOUR SO LUCKY!! I WANT A TRAILER NOW!! :(

luckyluckylucky.

Sounds like you had a lovely day :)

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think they will have to have the wedding anywhere else. Remember, they are wizards, they can wave a wand and repair the burrow. Shouldn’t be a big deal. Can’t wait to see what that scene is all about though! Great report!

Avatar Image says:

suzukithor—I agree with you, i don’t think it will cost much for the Weasleys to fix the burrow since they can just cast Reparo together. Even if they have to use money, they still have Fred and George’s profits from WWW.

Avatar Image says:

That’s a great report. Thanks so much for sharing all of it. For those of you who haven’t done so yet, I’d suggest you hop on over to the forum link where there are even more interesting details about her visit.

SWOOOOON…................

OMG I am soooo excited!!! Thanks for sharing and giving me yet something else to obsess over for the next 6 months! LOL

Avatar Image says:

Yes they clearly meant Bellatrix, Narcissa does have blonde hair, people have seen it. I like the wanted posters of Bellatrix and the Carrows, cant wait to see the faces on those- I bet they are priceless and scary. I am glad the Sectumsempra scene is in I like it when Snape confronts Harry! It all sounds sooooo awsome I am truely speechless, I cant wait for the movie now it makes it even harder. Baby Voldy!!! OMG. This movie will rock.

Avatar Image says:

Yayzzzzz Sectumsempra is what I am most looking forward to. But i WANT moaning Myrtle in that scene :)

I can haz Myrtle? Plz?

Avatar Image says:

whoohhhoo! Hey, all! I know it’s still a “rumor” but I’ve heard that the “teaser” is attached to ‘Narnia: Prince Caspian’, which opens [here, across the pond] on Thursday….If it, indeed does, wouldn’t that mean that the “teaser” will be on the Movie sites, on the net, on Friday? [I don’t know if it would be worth it to have to pay $8, for a trailer I’m not really interested in seeing ‘Narnia’]

Avatar Image says:

DEAREST Tash and Sue…thank you, thank you, thank you! What a great report! Now, even more anctious for my birthday! [the 13th of November!] I know it’s a week before it opens [here] but It’s gonna be my Birthday Party!!!!!

Lucky Tash!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so happy and think it’s so cool that the movie comes out on my birthday. What a way for me to celebrate it!!!

Avatar Image says:

i have already read this at LL and i will say again that you are so lucky person.

Avatar Image says:

triple w rocks!!! hbp is the beast book!!!! trailer please? I’m soooooo tired of staring at german yarn

Avatar Image says:

Of course they can repair the Burrow with their wands! (and WB can re-build it on the lot before the next movie). I can’t believe I actually thought the Weasleys would have to pay to have their house repaired. (slaps forehead with palm). I just totally pulled a Hermione from the Sorceror’s/Philosopher’s Stone (as follows):

“Devil’s Snare, Devil’s Snare… what did Professor Sprout say? — it likes the dark and the damp

“So light a fire!” Harry choked.

“Yes — of course — but there’s no wood!” Hermione cried, wringing her hands.

“HAVE YOU GONE MAD?” Ron bellowed. “ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?”

“Oh, right!” said Hermione

Avatar Image says:

“how much for an item” “5 galleons” “but I’m your brother” “10 galleons”

LOL! Gotta love Fred and George…!

I can’t believe we FINALLY have some HBP stuff! Ahh, the whole thing was AMAZING, you’re such a lucky person! XD I’m getting so excited for this movies, and if the rumors are true, we’ll get the trailer this week! :D

OHMYGOD :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

please can anyone tell me when the teaser trailer of harry potter and the half blood prince will arrive? thanks

WOW HBP YAY!WOOT AHH YEA im kind of giddy if you hadnt noticed!!!!!! WOOOOOOW

Avatar Image says:

Kostas: no one knows, there’s a rumor that it’ll be out this week with Prince Caspian, but it’s just a rumor… although, we’re all here hoping it is true!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think we know an exact date yet, Kostas. Just that it’s sometime reeeeal soon. I think It’s really soon. Unless I’m mistaken… Can anyone be more helpful and specific than me? lol.

Avatar Image says:

O YEA and let the flood of pictures begin!

Avatar Image says:

U-NO-POO yes thank God they kept that in!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh my! Fred and Georges bits are in! Way cool beans!

:( Neville still wearing a fat suit? Ah well.

T’is looking good. __ I can’t think of any cuts that are too worrying now… apart from the Gaunts… So looking forward to this

Avatar Image says:

How nice to read something about Tom Felton! I know it’s Harry’s story, but there isn’t much new during the promotional interviews anymore. It’s the same over and over regardless of what movie it is, just a slighly different angle for the marketing….so this was great to hear about Draco’s character from David Heyman. I really hope all the young ( not so young anymore, actually!) actors are successful beyond Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

This report has all of us craving more, more, MORE! RE:Teaser/trailer…. The consensus seems to be ‘Prince Caspian’...don’t know…hope so. That would be the 16th of this month!

Avatar Image says:

YESSSSS!! The sectumsempra scene!! AHH! This entire time I was almost convinced that they were going to take it out since they take out all the torturey good stuff. It was one of my favorite scenes… YES OMG. This makes me so much more excited.

Avatar Image says:

The report says “Moaning Myrtles bathroom” are we to assume that Myrtle is in the movie? I sincerely hope she is…

Avatar Image says:

That was a most splendid set report! Well laid out and with very juicy details to whet our appetite for HBP. Thank you Tash, and sorry to hear you lost some precious photos there. I know you wouldnt be allowed to show us but for your own personal memory, its a little sad. But at least your memory is excellent and is now stored in this Pensieve called Leaky Cauldron ;)

Yeah!!! Pig is in!

Avatar Image says:

I hope they show Molly Weasley’s expression when she sees U no Poo, I was in hysterics imagining her face full of pride turn rapidly into shock and bewilderment at her twins’ shop presentation!

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad their keeping U-NO-POO and Sectumsempra in this movie…they were great scenes.

Avatar Image says:

Well of course they can not have the wedding at the burrow duh. The Death Eaters set it on fire with probably dark magic which means it can definately not be repaired

SQQQQUUUEEEEE!

This is just so amazing! its getting closer but still so far out of reach. That all sounded deliciously amazing. im drooling.

cant wait!!

Live, Love,Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

WHOOOOOOOOOO! Sectumsempra scene: Here I come! Because I am just going to LOVE that scene. :D Yay. This totally made my day. Especially with the WWW. OH MY GOSH. I cannot wait to see the part w/ Fred, George, and Ron. :) Ow ow, Rupert’s going to look fine as h-e-double hockey stickkksss. (; I can’t WAIT for this movie.

Oh yeah, and I want to see the trailer SO badly, my gosh. :(

Avatar Image says:

W-O-W-! can’t wait. gahh!

Avatar Image says:

This is great! They’ve really kept a lot of the best storylines in without changing or dumbing it down! Let’s hope these things stay in the movie. Even Katie Bell! (then that finally ends speculation as to Cho being the attacked girl…so wait, why is Cho in the film again? Just Quidditch, right? I honestly can’t remember anything other than that).

I really really hope there’s a trailer coming soon! :) But this is nice, I can’t wait for Sectumsempra (I know it’s dark but it was one of those HOLY CRAP chapters at first read, and kinda sets off the action in the rest of the book)!

Avatar Image says:

I have a really urgent question about the Florida Con. I know this comment has no place here, but i post it in the article about the con and no one answered and i really need someone who could do it

so okay, i’m only going to be able to buy tickets for one of the three days; and i want to know if anyone knows which of the three days the HP cast is going to show up to sign for autographs.

I really appreciate if some answers it ASAP. thank you

Avatar Image says:

I believe it’s on saturday. (RE: Florida Con) Thats when I’m going, at least. I want to avoid most of the anime crowd, haha.

Avatar Image says:

I think Cho’s in the film so people who don’t read the books don’t go all…”where’s that girl Harry kissed in the last movie?” ...she’s just for…more known faces around…like the patil twins after GoF lol

Avatar Image says:

cool, can’t wait to see it ! the two finalists were picked for the amazon Beetle the Bard contest

Avatar Image says:

i cannot wait to see the u-no-poo sign and i really hope they have the throwing canaries scene

Avatar Image says:

Great attention to detail, Tash! I loved your report (and how you ran your fingers over the invisibility cloak. Jealous!), and now I’m even more excited for the movie to come out in November!

@ Libby:

Katie Leung has said that Cho is in the movie in “a brief role,” mainly because “there’s still some jealousy with Ginny that needs to be resolved.” (If you want, I’ll dig up the article where she said that.) So as Cristipotter said, it sounds like she’s in the movie mainly to show that Harry has moved on from Cho and now likes Ginny, so that the casual viewer won’t be all, “Wait a minute, Harry likes Ron’s sister now? But what happened to that girl he kissed in the last movie? Does he not like her anymore?” And that kind of makes sense, I guess, since the Harry/Cho stuff was left pretty open-ended in the movie, much more so than in the book. I guess they feel like they need to give it a more definitive ending.

Avatar Image says:

That was so awesome I think I might just cry.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you for the elaborate and detailed set report, Tash! We all appreciate it immensely. This movie is just becoming too much of a torture to wait for now! Please give us the trailer as soon as you can, Warner Brothers!

Maravilloso!! :DDD

Avatar Image says:

wait, the weasley house wasn’t set on fire in the book. was this invented for the movie?

Avatar Image says:

well.. if they DO give narcissa black hair, atleast she still looks VERY much like tom felton… he can get the white-blond from his father if they need her to resemble bella a bit more. she can share the facial features with her son.

Avatar Image says:

They don’t give her black hair. :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow, the news about the film gets better and better! I’m so glad that they left so much gloomy stuff in! And I’m excited about Sectumsempra! I hope Tom will be good at portraying Draco’s character from a different angle and showing how vulnerable and terrified Draco is! And I cannot wait to see Dan portraying Harry’s reaction!

It’s also amazing that they pay so much attention to detail, including the Wanted posters! And I couldn’t dare to hope they leave WWW in, and still they did!!!

YAY for WB!

Avatar Image says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! im so so so excited for this movie! Thanks for the report, it was so great to read and it got me even more excited!! Hope we have a trailer soon!

Avatar Image says:

This report was awesome! I really wish we’d get SOMETHING official from WB! Why are they always so extreme? They pretty much gave us the entire movie online before OotP came out in Theatres and now we’re 6 months away and not even NEWS of when the TEASER trailer is arriving for HBP?! What the heck!!??

Avatar Image says:

I’m so excited about this movie. The last one was honestly a let down. Mostly because they got a lot of their facts wrong, and put in some stuff that didn’t belong. I hope this one makes up for it. Only 2 movies left! I’m sad.

Avatar Image says:

Remember guys, just because they created the sets for these scenes and filmed them, it doesn’t mean everything will be in the movie. I hope, hope, hope, they are all, but sadly lots of things get cut for time. So if you’re going to risk getting over excited, prepare in advance for being overly disappointed. Meaning don’t get carried away with the insults to WB when what you thought was gonna be in the movie, due to this report, isn’t.

Avatar Image says:

Yay for HBP news! Any kind of HBP news, even an unofficial set visit report!

I’m going to be seriously ticked off if the teaser trailer doesn’t come out with the new Narnia film on Friday.

Avatar Image says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HPB news has returned @ last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy dance this is totally exciting. i certainly hope this report isnt fake, b/c the person who wrote the report said they had Katie Bell’s stuff, but we learned that they didnt cast kaite @all - which sucks. stupid cho(i like katie leung though) gets all her parts. totally stoaked for sectumsembra scene and jazzed that they do have the whole diagon alley sequences - espically u-no-pooh! my favorite! and that tralier better be on may 16. by the way, why is it comming out on a saturday. kinda random placement…so stoaked!!!!

Avatar Image says:

hey, why did they cross out my sentences!!!

Avatar Image says:

woah, tommy looks hot! perfect for draco

Avatar Image says:

i dont know how much longer i can waitt for HBP pleasse Wbs givee uss somee pictutress trailer interviews .. somethingg ! anything!

Avatar Image says:

WWW, Sectumsempra scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Steve Kloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

What is up with Potter haircuts???

Avatar Image says:

im getting chills of excitement just from reading this. me and a friend might go see Prince Caspian tomorrow just to watch the HBP trailer,lol.

Avatar Image says:

AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read on wizardnews.com that the Sectumsempra scene has been eliminated from the movie!! And it sounds so absolutely awesome from what’s been written here!!! How can it possibly not be in when it’s so PIVOTAL to Snape finding out that Harry has “the book” and the escape scene? AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGG!!!

Avatar Image says:

waaaaa… i hope they have a teaser already…. heheheh

Avatar Image says:

Oh God, I tell you, I was very impressed by this report. Well done to the reader who viisted HBP set. I felt like I was reading another Harry Potter book when I read the report. the wirter expressed of every detail and I could picture where and where she walked and the actors she encounters like I was there with her.

I am feeling very pleased that something is being said. I am like hungry to see or hear anything about this new film, but good things come to those who wait, and I am sure that it is going to be magnificantly good.

thank you, you made by day with this report.

Avatar Image says: educasion FilipAvatar Image says: lavidjioAvatar Image says: Avatar Image says:

Write a Reply or Comment