PotterCast 151: Spontaneous Combustion

364

May 13, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC

The 151st episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast, is now online with the latest in Harry Potter and much more. First up, we bring you news on the “Half-Blood Prince” film including new images, information from actress Natalia Tena, set footage, and casting announcements. Additional news about a decision regarding the privacy case filed by J. K. Rowling along with an update on media reaction to the RDR Books vs. WB/JKR lawsuit is also featured. We then jump into our latest Canon Conundrums discussion which focuses on Aberforth Dumbledore and which Hogwarts house he called home. We then have for you a new Bit-by-Bit where we turn to Chapter 12 and talk of the Death Eater presence outside Grimmauld Place along with what is going on inside the house. The third round of the first set of Acting Troupe Auditions follows with six auditions for the younger girl roles in the production. Our Scribby5 ladies the take the stage and have for you a discussion on one of their newest essays. Finally, the drums bring you to talk about comfort food, the upcoming Harry Potter Day, a possible East Coast PotterCast tour, and Terminus house talk. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“Spontaneous Combustion”

- Harry Potter and the sexy yarn.
- Film news from the actress who plays Tonks.
- To which house does Aberforth Dumbledore belong?
- Kreacher is Mr. Mom.
- Sue’s Harry Potter/Scooby Doo connection.
- The last of the first round auditions.
- Come see us in Ft. Lauderdale… it’s next week!

RT: 96:51

Editors: Stede Bonnett, Jeff Gregory, Samantha McManus, and Andrew Garner

LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
Podcast Alley
Digg
Terminus 2008

Direct download (44 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (11 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

28 Responses to PotterCast 151: Spontaneous Combustion

Avatar Image says:

Yay! First?? Off to listen!!

downloading now! GO Pottercast[:

Avatar Image says:

Third? Fourth? First time I’ve tried this race.

Avatar Image says:

Great episode, just finished listening to it

Avatar Image says:

Yay, new episode! I’m downloading it right now so I can listen to it on my way to work. I love mornings with Pottercast!! :D

Avatar Image says:

I’m listening now, but I’ve paused it to say THANK YOU PotterCasters for your discussion of the Wu piece in the New Yorker. I appreciated all of your thoughts, and I was quite horrified to hear about the way Wu tried to bait Melissa for anti-Steve quotes during his phone interview with her. (Good on you, Melissa, for being savvy to his aims during that interview.) It was so surreal for me to read those things in the New Yorker, and I am SO GLAD that you persevered, Melissa, in getting an apology from Wu and a correction from the New Yorker.

Avatar Image says:

Spontaneous Human Combustion— There goes another one! A raging fire A funeral pyre An unexpected cremation. —The Bobs

Avatar Image says:

It’s been a few years since I’ve spoken French, but here’s my shot at a translation:

My cat is named Sassy. There it is at the library in a cheese.

umm… in a cheese? Maybe I misheard that part?

Love you guys!

Avatar Image says:

The direct download link doesn’t work for me. I think it is missing a 1 and should be http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://media.libsyn.com/media/pottercast/pc080511.mp3

Avatar Image says:

no chance you say in this show if the trailer is definitely in from of prince caspian? do we know?

Avatar Image says:

Great podcast. I’m listening to it now while I am at work. Everyone vote for Leaky on podcast alley.

Avatar Image says:

if the trailer is not in prince caspian, I will be shocked. I mean, it’s their prime audience!

Avatar Image says:

As much as I like the New Minister chapter, to have that in HBP and not DD funeral is ridiculous. The funeral could even be short, like the words said for Cedric. But the scene were Harry says that the students have a right to stay for it, is so powerful; now, I guess that’s irrelevant. Come On!

Avatar Image says:

I have a whole new appreciation for the Leaky team that came about when Melissa was talking about waking in the morning and dreading reading what had been posted here.

I have a message board for my business and when there is a hot button issue that is brewing on the forums, I feel the very same way. The difference in my site and Leaky is the number of viewers who I have to worry about being offended. So, for what it’s worth, Melissa, I feel your pain.

May this all be over with quickly.

And, “me” from above…everyone makes mistakes. However, there should be a distinction between comments made to stir a poop pot and an honest mis-statement.

Avatar Image says:

well my slytherin hackles are up again.

i can not say how frustraiting it is to here that when a character doesn’t try to save his skin at every given opportunity, they can’t be Slytherin. that when they’ve shown some form of bravery, they belonged in Gryffindor. Regulus – Slytherin, Andromeda – Slytherin, Slughorn – Slytherin, Narcissa -Slytherin, SNAPESLYTHERIN. are these characters the fine example of human morals? no, that’s what makes Snape one of the most interesting characters in the books, he comes across as very human. but they are Slytherin, JKR said so in canon, and you can’t argue with canon. there fore, Slytherins can be brave, they can be very brave, they can put there selves in the line of fire, they can risk their lives, they can sacrifice them, and they can act is ways that result in no forseable benifit towards themselves.

what’s the point of this rant? well i’m gonna say it, i think Aberforth was a Slytherin. well, more appropriatly a Slytherpuff, but its the dismisle of Slytherin as an option that really bothered me. yeah he got the kids back in the school, he also suggested keeping the Slytherin children as hostages, to which Harry replys that Dumbledore never would’ve. Aberforth has cunning, that i would say is a far more prevelant trait than his bravery. Gryffindor bravery seems to be very in your face – i’d actually say that Bellatrix shows more Gryffindor traits than Slytherin, Slytherins are brave but not stupid… some how i don’t see Aberforth making any grand gestures of opposition towards Voldemort.

Avatar Image says:

“Rather ironically, during the part of the podcast talking about the article and misrepresentation, Tim Wu was very nearly named as being a Professor of Journalism. For the record, he teaches law.”

Um no. For the record, I identified Mr. Wu as a Professor of Law when I started on this part of the news, and later said something to the effect that as he is a professor and teaches, I should like to complete my PhD and teach and I would never consider this as a fair piece of quality journalism. I’ve always felt collegiate educators to be fairly intelligent individuals and would hope that they would give me accurate instruction and guidance and advice. In my personal opinion, that article was not a fair nor accurate piece, and I lament the fact that it only served to stir the pot more when it surely was not needed.

SQUUUEEE!^^^^^

SUE UPTON, you OWN.

You tell ‘em (or should I say ‘me’?)! (Go HUFFLEPUFF!!)

Avatar Image says:

siyrean, I agree with you on that…

He knew that his only chance of survival was saving Harry and his friends, because if he was found with them, he would die since he harbored them!

Avatar Image says:

OH! I want to smack Tim Wu. That whole article was bollocks!

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, I’m glad to hear The New Yorker is going to print a correction, but like you said few people ever read corrections. It’s a shame this article was ever published in the first place, especially in a magazine with The New Yorker’s reputation. I’ve been a subscriber for years and not just because of the cartoons.

The standards in journalism seem to sink every day. I find myself questioning the veracity of news stories way too often, even those in the “old grey lady” herself. It’s very disheartening.

Avatar Image says:

haha, just wanted to say thank you for pottercast. i just started listening and you guys are very amusing!

To Leaky Staff:

I’ve been meaing to write over the weeks, and it just hasn’t gotten accomplished. First, I want to say thank you for being the awesome Harry Potter podcast—you’re the best one in my book. I’ve always appreciated the journalistic tone you’ve taken from the beginning of the podcast.

Secondly, I’m utterly impressed by the way you’ve handled the trial, articles, personal stuff, etc. You all have exhibited a level of professionalism that so-called Journalists should be taking a page from your books.

Melissa, thank you for being as candid as you can and allowing your audience to see the raw emotion that seems to be near the surface for you. We are just able to appreciate what you do even more—I’m looking forward to reading your book.

And to Sue, I appreciate the way you have allowed your personal feelings to come out during the various episodes regarding the trial. It speaks volumes to how well Leaky has handled the situation when we hear the pain and emotion in your voice as well.

I look forward to a day when we as a Harry Potter fandom community, can once again look onward to the great things that are in store i.e. the movies, theme park, etc. and not look at the things that are divisive.

Again, thank you all so much for the great work you do! I’m looking forward to 150 more Pottercasts! I need something to do whilst I’m at work.

Avatar Image says:

Hi all. I am very incensed by the Tim Wu article. I have been vocal on the comments with my appreciation for how impartial and fair the whole pottercast team have been about the JKR and RDR issue. Tim Wu was trying to make a story when there was none. If Steve said that comment at the end – then that is his look out but as far as i’m concerned, Melissa has been nothing but fair and impartial. I’ve half a mind to write to the New Yorker to show my disapproval. I’m in Australia and they probably wont take any notice but this dealing in half truths is sickening. I’m sorry you had to go through that crap Melissa because I think you’ve been very fair during this whole thing.

Avatar Image says:

It’s ok, Frak, I knew what you meant when you said “Peckish” and “Bunny Trail”

Can’t help that all these east coast and southern peoples don’t understand you… And, John, be careful what you say from now on… You don’t want to piss off Tim “rita skeeter” Wu or any of the other Rita Skeeters in the News World.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and BTW… I’m tired of John talking about the goat thing and no one disagreeing with him. He was accused, it never once said he was guilty. He had a love for goats that didn’t have to be sexual… I mean I know in this world that’s hard to understand, but not everyone that cares for animals are zoophiliacs…

Avatar Image says:

POTTERCAST RULES! Frak is funny!

Avatar Image says:

Please, please, PLEASE, come to North Carolina on tour! I want to see you all! Also, Tim Wu needs to learn how to be a good journalist and get his facts straight.

Write a Reply or Comment