Kreacher of Grimmauld Place: A Great Movie Creature

239

May 17, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As part of their summer movie preview, Yahoo Movies has posted a gallery of 20 great movie creatures. Included on this list is a magical creature familiar to Harry Potter fans: Kreacher, the house elf at Grimmauld Place. Other creatures of note are Gollum from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, ET, Jabba the Hut from Return of the Jedi, the original King Kong from the classic film made in 1933, Asterious the Minotaur from the newly released Prince Caspian, and the Flying Monkeys from The Wizard of Oz (which in this editor’s opinion are still some of the scariest beings ever found in a children’s movie, but it could just be me ;)

Thanks Sasha!

49 Responses to Kreacher of Grimmauld Place: A Great Movie Creature

Cool! =)

Avatar Image says:

I agree, the flying monkeys are terrifying! Whenever I watch that movie I always dread the parts where they come in …

Avatar Image says:

That doesn’t make sense. We’ve only seen Kreacher very, very briefly in OOTP, while Dobby played a rather significant role in the Chamber of Secrets.

Avatar Image says:

KT … I was thinking the same thing. It should have been Dobby.

Avatar Image says:

Why Kreacher? What about one of the other creatures? Poor Dobby! Poor Buckbeak! :(

Avatar Image says:

Agreed!! Maybe they meant Dobby but got mixed up?

I can’t think why else they would use Kreacher unless it’s because of Dobby’s unexplained absence since CoS… :S

kreACHER IS amazing!!

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Thanks Sue for posting that! I think that even thought Kreacher doesn’t play such a big role in OOTP, it’s his role in the entire series that puts him onto the list. He’ll be back for the DH film…squeeee I can’t wait!

GO KREACHER!! YOU ROCK!

Avatar Image says:

yeah..its a little bit weird that they took Kreacher. I guess they had to pick someone from HP. but Kreacher rocks. I was reading those parts of DH few days ago(again…No.7) and how he was happy with RABs locket around his neck….oi…he rocks

Avatar Image says:

I was terrified of the dark crystal when I was little, I could watch starwars, and i watched clash of the titans, and I watched wizard of oz on a daily basis, my sister who watched the dark crystal all the time, was scared of the wizard of oz, or at least she was bothered by it, this coming from a girl who asked for a Hoth Wampa (sp) for Christmas when she was three…I just don’t get it…

Avatar Image says:

seems like a strange pick, epecially since there are so many more creature-y creatures (does that make sense? more animal-like) in the HP books. However, the other creatures on the list are human-ish, so I guess I just wish they’d picked dobby.

Avatar Image says:

Love Kreacher, and the flying monkeys are fantastic, but Buckbeak in POA is one of my fave creatures in the whole series. So cute.

Avatar Image says:

Interesting. Like others, my pick from the HP series probably would have been Buckbeak; not just because of the CG (which was flawless), but because of the brilliant little mannerisms and subtleties that really sold him as a living animal.

Kreacher was very good, though, definitely the second best creature the series has had; even though Dobby was in it more, Kreacher was by far the better in terms of modelling and animation. I guess that’s what five years’ worth of advancements in CGI does…

Avatar Image says:

If I was going for a creature from a Harry Potter film I would have selected the basilisk, although Buckbeak the Hippogriff deserves a mention too. Come to think of it, they don’t come much scarier than Professor Snape! He’s a good head in front of the Flying Monkeys in that respect and way ahead of Godzilla.

Avatar Image says:

I am also puzzled with Kreature’s inclusion. And like others, I think Buckbeak was the best creature in the HP series. Gollum is by far the greatest film creature but my personal favourite creature of all time is….Mogwai from gremlins!

Avatar Image says:

Why is Luna/Evanna picture shown for 20 great movie creatures! She is one of the 20 great movie angels!

Avatar Image says:

It may just be me, but I only see one character, listed, that is not either ugly as sin.(or just really creepy) The only exception, IMHO, is ET. I thought he was kinda cute….. I see Dobby as too cute, really.

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher? Seriously? He had a whole 1 minute (not even that) of screen time, whereas Dobby was quite important in Chamber of Secrets. very strange indeed. Maybe they are commenting on the special effects used for Kreacher and that he’s ‘better’ than Dobby? Ah who knows.

Anyway, I probably would’ve picked one of these rather than the House-Elves… Buckbeak, the basilisk, Lupin as a werewolf, the Dementors, the Horntail. :)

Avatar Image says:

Haha, Kreacher was in the film for about .2 seconds!

Avatar Image says:

I also think that Dobby would have been a better pick for the list. I also think that it suck that he should have been in GoF and OotP, but due to some wierd screenplay editing he was pulled. of course they have pulled a lot of the back story out of the movies, and now that they are up to 6 and 7 its going to hurt them. Both Dobby and Kreacher play a role in both books, and I don’t see how they can edit them out for 6 and 7…i think they may have to back paddle a little to make up the lost ground, but i am off track ranting a little

Avatar Image says:

Flying monkeys and Umpalumpa’s both freaked me out.

Avatar Image says:

It should have been someone else. You’re right, Jessie. But Kreacher is kinnnnnda cute. (in a weird way) :)

Avatar Image says:

Why?? OH WHY KREACHER?!? NOOOOOOO FAIR!!! I think that Dobby deserves it wayyyyyyyy more than he does! I mean, he’s only the most importiant house elf in the WHOLE series in the movies. Ugh. No fair. The flying monkeis scare me to death, ET is awsome, and i personally think the Gollum should top the charts.

No -they got it right.

Kreacher is one of the great characters with many more dimensions  than Dobby. The film did him justice as well. His redemption is coming !
Avatar Image says:

I know that some people think that they should have featured Dobby, but maybe “them” featuring Kreacher is WB’s attempt to make viewers remember about him and prepare us to his future role in the movies.

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher was in the film for less than a minute, I don’t see how he makes the list. Gollum is definitely my favorite though. Andy Serkis did such an amazing job.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with with Jessie!! Poor Dobby! ;)

Avatar Image says:

But see, Kreacher’s name is Kreacher (=creature) so he was a shoe-in.

Avatar Image says:

I think they realize how big a role Kreacher is gonna play, but then again, so does Dobby… Poor dobby… I’m torn… Dobby is the faithful friend (like Ron and Hermione) but Kreacher is the redeemed villain (Snape?)

Well, good on Kreacher, but Dobby… cries

Avatar Image says:

I saw this on Yahoo and immediately came here to see if it was one here. Of course it is! The only thing I’ve never seen posted on here was that thing about Dan seeking out that Australian(?) girl by classifieds that was on Yahoo, and I wonder if that was because it wasn’t true or not. Yahoo is usually correct, so I’m not sure.

Avatar Image says:

okay this is cool but i have to agree Dobby should have made the list as well, and asi am a big of a fan of Godzilla as i am of Hp im glad to see he made the list as well, but i also think the Buckbeak and the thestrals should have gotten at least an honorable mention

Avatar Image says:

Everyone, I think they’re talking more about character DESIGN, in which case Kreacher IS better than Dobby.

Avatar Image says:

amen to the flying monkey comment! flying monkeys and clowns, 2 things that should never be released around children.

Avatar Image says:

The Pale Man was one of the most frightening visions I have ever seen in a movie.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad that Kreacher got in but Dobby deserved it more…...................

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher? Weird! He barely appeared in OotP! I suppose they must’ve meant Dobby,he had way more screen time in CoS, and the movi-audience has seen more of him there. Kreacher’ll be more prominent in DH.

Avatar Image says:

hrrrmmm…kreacher is good; but dobby is more significant

Avatar Image says:

I think the reason that Kreacher is on this list is because the person writing the list was being silly and thought “ha he’s called Kreacher, and I’m doing a list of creatures…ho ho”. indeed.

Avatar Image says:

argh… shouldnt have looked at the list. it’s got that thing from pans labyrinth… that gave me nightmares….

Avatar Image says:

Agreed. Those flying monkeys were terrifying. I had nightmares after watching that film.

Avatar Image says:

aaaagggghhhh! those flying monkeys, or those things on wheels in the 80s sequel. Terrifying

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree with you Sue those monkeys do really give me the collywobbles!

Avatar Image says:

I have nothing against kreacher, but he was there for about 12 seconds, if they went with the whole book thing with kreacher betraying sirius and all, yeah that would make sense, but c’mon he’s barley in it. now dobby maybe would make sense. or buckbeak or dementors really.

Avatar Image says:

Kreacher is just far cooler than Dobby! Live with it everybody!

Avatar Image says:

I just noticed the picture on the article cycles through different people… It’s been Luna and Lucious and 2 other people… Heh I’m like “What are they saying about (person on the picture) anyway?”

Avatar Image says:

omg !!!! go kreacher!!!! well done :):):):):):):)

and yes i do very agree the monkeys are very freightning : 0 they freek me out a lil

Avatar Image says:

Someone said before that Kreacher had more dimensions than Dobby.

Yes, but have we seen that in the films? If we are going by the film versions, in comparing Dobby and Kreacher you’d most likely pick Dobby.

The people who don’t read the books might find Kreacher as a choice confusing, whereas it’s understandable for us.. because we know what happens.

Avatar Image says:

Flying monkeys get my vote; I still won’t watch that movie because they are soooooooo scary!!!!

Kreacher is ugly for sure, but hardly even seen in the movie. I think maybe I’d rather see Mrs. Black’s portrait nominated. Now that’s one scary _itch!!!

Write a Reply or Comment