John Williams to Score “Half-Blood Prince?”

114

May 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The Boston Globe is reporting today that film score composer John Williams will be leading the Boston Pops in a concert series starting this Tuesday ,featuring new pieces of his score to the upcoming Indiana Jones film, as well as selections from his scores of Star Wars and the Harry Potter series. The paper notes “actress Lynn Redgrave will join in each night to narrate what’s being called the “Harry Potter Grande Suite.” Of interest, the article then goes on to mention that the legendary composer is not slowing down, as Mr. Williams has work remaining on “soundtracks for “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” “Jurassic Park IV,” and “Superman: Man of Steel” all scheduled for his touch.”

As readers will recall, in a formal press release issued in November of last year by Warner Brothers, it indicated the score for HBP was to be composed by Nicholas Hooper, who scored Order of the Phoenix. However we do not know if this new report (if accurate) just means John Williams will be contributing a few pieces to the overall score of HBP, or will now be handling the entire music for the sixth Harry Potter film. We are working to find out more about this, and will of course update with more when we can.

90 Responses to John Williams to Score “Half-Blood Prince?”

Yeah!!!

yes please! that would be so awesome!!! (but Hooper is alright too.) =D

Avatar Image says:

I agree, hazel! However, I think it would be really awsome if Mr Williams scored ‘Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows’, as well…..this is just too awsome!

Avatar Image says:

I hope it is TRUE that he IS composing all the score for HBP. I prefer his work for these films so much more.

Avatar Image says:

I wish Mr Williams to compose the score!He is the best composer in Harry Potter series

Avatar Image says:

YES! He is the best composer ever! The man scored Star Wars nuff said.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my gosh, that would be amazing! I hope he does it!!

Avatar Image says:

That’s Great!! i love his work. he could do.

Avatar Image says:

Nicholas Hooper agency http://www.coolmusicltd.com/Composers/PDF/NicholasHooper.pdf

so ….

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know about that. For Hallows, I’d love him, but I think Mr. Hooper should definitely come back. I think his work was the best, certainly.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams is WAY better than Hooper… he’d better score HBP and DH.

Avatar Image says:

PLEASE let this be true! He made all the magic happen in the first three films ! And then the rest of the movies didn’t have the magic feel !

Avatar Image says:

yay! We (me, myself, and I, and others as well) love you Mr. Williams! Can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

I sure would love to believe this! The nostalgic part of me would LOVE for Williams to come back, But I can’t help but wonder if that was a goof, because it really souned like Hooper was set to do HBP. I don’t know if the producers can override the director’s choice for composer, but maybe if Williams let them know his availability, they decided to use him instead. Or maybe they meant Deathly Hallows??? I remember reading something at one point where Williams said he was confident he would be doing Deathly Hallows. Cautiously optimistic! But still, most of the OotP score was great, especially the possession. So, either one will do a good job, I’m sure.

Avatar Image says:

I think what the article wants to say is that themes created by Williams are still present in new scores.

Like Hedwige theme in HP.

Or the Superman and Jurassic Park themes in the sequels (JP3 and Superman Returns).

Avatar Image says:

I highly doubt that one newspaper article is going to supercede a WB press report and a statement from Hooper’s representatives. The article also attributes that Williams is working on HBP to the very vague “industry reports,” which probably means nothing. I don’t think he’s scoring the film.

Avatar Image says:

This just sounds like lazily-researched speculation to me. How can they say he’s “scheduled” to be scoring Jurassic Park IV and Superman? Neither of those films even have casts, scripts or directors firmly attached, and might not even exist; moreover, all of those films are new entries in series that Williams USED to score, but has since moved on from. Most importantly, though, we KNOW that Nicholas Hooper is scoring HBP: WB confirmed it ages ago, and all the supplemental evidence corroborates this including the documentation ClaireFron just posted. As far as I’m concerned, this isn’t even a matter of debate; The Boston Globe are dead wrong on this one, plain and simple, and should be ashamed of such lazy journalism.

Not that I’m saying I wouldn’t like another Williams score, of course; for me, the musical high water mark of the franchise remains his PoA score by some distance, and I can’t really imagine it being topped. Certainly, Hooper’s OotP was a very accomplished soundtrack, and if he’s to see the series through to the end (which he likely will, with long-term collaborator David Yates in charge) then I’ll be perfectly happy, but that doesn’t mean I would ever say know to another Williams effort. Still, I’m not going to let something as insubstantial, flimsy and blatantly false as this article raise my hopes…

Avatar Image says:

Personally I loved the score in OotP, especially for the darker scenes but I’m sure Williams would be fine.

Avatar Image says:

He has such memorable tunes that , it would be great if he came back or at least contributed to the score. Every time I hear Hedwigs theme we have him to thank for that he gave the theme song to the movies. Along with star wars, Jaws, Indy, Jurassic Park. He truely is great. The others are good to though.

Avatar Image says:

I hope they lock him down for not only HBP but also DH. The man make music.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams is amazing but this report must be totally untrue.

From the little I know of Yates, he would never willingly relinquish key members of his team like Editor Mark Day or Composer Nicholas Hooper.

As wonderfully talented as Mr. Williams is, a film by David Yates will sound better with a score by Hooper, just as a Spielberg films are lifted by a score from Williams.

Avatar Image says:

I think that’s just a mistake. Hooper has been scheduled for ages to do HBP; I think they meant DH, which Williams said he’d like to score. (and IMO, Doyle’s score for GoF was great, especially his Hogwarts Hymn, heard over the credits, I think. I wasn’t crazy about Hoop’s OotP music ,at least on the CD, it was OK for the film.)

Avatar Image says:

This article is probably completely false but…

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hmmmm . . . I LOVE Williams’ scores, and imho PoA was one of the best “stand-alone” scores in the HP series. BUT, his series filmwork is always so derivative that you miss out on having a unique flavour to each film. Although it won’t happen, I would love to see Pat Doyle (GoF) come back for DH as his score so far has been the darkest and most like what I envision for DH.

For HBP: Hooper’s OotP score was fun, so I wouldn’t mind hearing his take on it. His “dramatic” themes were a bit wanting, and that is where the hand of John Williams would be better appreciated. I do find it fascinating that Williams said he WANTED to come back to HP. You don’t often hear statements like that.

• ponders and replays “Window to the Past” & “Harry in Winter” *
Avatar Image says:

Since Williams composed the original, instantly recognized Harry Potter theme that everyone else must incorporate and build on in order to keep the movies sounding familiar, then I suppose you can say that Williams has had a hand and will have a hand in the music for all the movies.

Williams has so damn many Oscars I wonder if he uses them for doorstops?

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is true…..............But as the article suggests , he’s probably doing few pieces…..

Avatar Image says:

I’m going to one of these concerts- hope this is true for HBP and DH! :D John Williams is a composing GOD.

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be fantastic if John Williams did create the soundtrack to HBP – he is an amazing composer and has done such a great job with the first three films. He is legendary and if he cannot/does not come back for HBP then I really hope that he will at least write the DH soundtrack. I’m sure he would love to compose the music for the finale of the HP series because he has started it off so well and it would be so interesting for the audience to see how it compares with PS.

Please come back Mr Williams!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh good I just looked on wikipedia and it says that John Williams would like to come back for the finale, but Yates may prefer to use Hooper instead.

<_< Yates would not be very popular if he denied Williams the chance to compose the DH score.

Avatar Image says:

I hope John Williams does the music. He’s my favorite composer! I’m a band nerd.

Avatar Image says:

I think if the two composers could work together that they should both score Deathly Hallows, since it is 2 films and a lot more work. Two heads are better than one after all!

Avatar Image says:

UGH – let this be NOT true! He’s overrated. All his scores sound the same.

Avatar Image says:

i wish this was true. i hated Hoopers score, it was so generic and boring. aside from umbridge’s theme, it was completely forgettable. i know not everyone would agree but i like my fantasy movies to have Epic scores, ones that are memorable and instantly place you back into that scene when you hear it… Hooper is simply out of his legue at this sort of thing.

Avatar Image says:

i agree the score from OOTP was mostly flat, it did have its good parts , i.e. the battles at the ministry and Williams is a GOD inthe world of movie scores and i think it would be highly appropriate to have Williams score DH as he scored SS

Avatar Image says:

I’m not familiar with all these 1-5-who,and what he did. I’ve read all the comments. So, John Williams was a composer for first three films. So,that means that I absolutely love him. I love the music in 1st three films, especially in POA. I didn’t really like the music in OOTP,to be honest. So I would love him for last 3(BIG 3,yay) films.

Avatar Image says:

I can not even remember what the music sounded like for the HP films Hooper scored. The music in those ,that he scored,is forgetable for me. William’s themes stick in my head like my imagination feels the books and are wonderful to represent the films.

Avatar Image says:

Williams deserves EVERY Oscar he has received.

Avatar Image says:

I adore John Williams, I still listen to the music on the ‘Sorcerer’s Stone’ sound track, my favorite is ‘Hedwig’s Theme’. Was ‘Sorcerer’s Stone’ the only sound track he did, or did he do others? Because if he did, I want them!

Avatar Image says:

It would be absolutely fantastic if John Williams were to return to compose the music of the sixth film; I do hope that this report is true.

However, I will take this report with a grain of salt, as many of those movies are just rumored at this point. None of it sounds official.

Avatar Image says:

I hope he composes a theme for each of the main characters like he did for Star Wars: there was Luke Skywalker’s theme, Prince Leia’s theme, Darth Vaders’s theme, Yoda’s theme, etc. I’d love to hear a theme for each of the trio! Ron’s theme and Hermione’s theme!

He also created “Han Solo and the Princess” so he should be able to create a R/Hr theme too! ^^

Avatar Image says:

John Williams is a genius! After all he composed the original soundtrack for the HP movies (you know, the intro music). I thought it was a shame he didn’t compose the score of Goblet of Fire. However Hooper did a great job with OotP. Maybe it would be better if Hooper returns for HBP. He could really make a great switch between a happy and a dark moment in the film, and I think HBP will be just like that (you know with the love stories and the more dramatic scenes). John Williams would be perfect for DH, because that’s more serious, I mean, pure drama and thriller. I think you can compare it with Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. That was pure dark and Williams did a great job with it.

Avatar Image says:

Oh I hope he does! The man is a genious, a legend, and his scores are just beautiful. Even if he doesnt do HBP, I really REALLY hope he does DH.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams would be awesome to finish the with the 2-part final film, but I seriously doubt he’s composing for HBP. Why WB choosed N. Hooper? He’s not good at all for a Harry Potter movie. OotP hadn’t almost any leitmotif. I would prefer million times Patrick Doyle (GoF) than that weird composer called Hooper…

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Hooper did a bad thing with OotP. Doyle wasn’t bad either, but I don’t know, there was something missing.

Avatar Image says:

Paulo: Go and listen to the scores of Jaws, The Reivers, Schindler’s List and Catch Me If You Can, THEN come back here and tell me that all of John Williams’ scores “sound the same”.

You’re within your rights to not like John Williams, but if you start making criticisms which are plainly false then you just sound foolish.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you for the IMDB link, Look.

That confirms what earlier comments have said:

Williams is not composing new pieces for HBP. It is the theme he created that is once again being used, and for such he must be credited as each movie is being made.

It says he is credited with the main theme, and the short title sequences. He was credited for these in OOTP as well as HBP.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams is a great composer but his scores have become cliche. Hooper and Doyle did fantastically and the hp series (and every other franchise) shouldnt be monopolised by Williams familiarity.

Avatar Image says:

That would be just too amazing for words. He was THE BEST by far, putting his distinctive stamp on HP with a superb theme for Harry and a huge range of emotional and exciting music.

Williams forHBP and DH – heaven!!

Avatar Image says:

I wish Williams would come back, but it looks clear that he is not, at least for HBP. I did not care for Hooper’s score for OoTP at all and I absolutely cannot listen to Umbridge’s theme outside the movie without grinding my teeth in annoyance. It was OK IN the movie, but Williams, in my opinion, is the master of the grand, sweeping themes that HP deserves. It sounds to me like the two people Yates should most replace are the two he is least likely to, his composer and his editor. I hated the way OoTP was cut. The editing and the score would benefit from other choices.

Avatar Image says:

I hope does does come back, if not him Doyle should. I don’t know, I really liked OotP (the best movie out of the series) but the soundtrack was kind of a let down for me, it didn’t even last over an hour!! Patrick Doyle was okay, it was a big shocker to listen to the first track and not immediately hear Hedwig’s theme (without noticing that Doyle was the composer) though, but John WIlliams put the magic in HP, he should at least finish it.

Avatar Image says:

I believe that Williams is theperfect one to do it. I love his work. I wish to see him again!!! Pelaseee!! Hooper’s soundtrack was sooooo boring and light, honestly..

Avatar Image says:

I really really really hope this is true but have a feeling it isn’t!

Avatar Image says:

Yes! Yes!!! John Williams practically rocks! HBP will be a much better movie with a strong background score by William. I hope this is true!

Avatar Image says:

I highly doubt this is true. For a reputable newspaper, the Boston Globe is really stupid at listing him for composing the scores and they should rectify their mistake. The IMDB has Williams listed as the composer for the themes to HBP, JP 4 and S:TMOS (which means he is not composing the original score for these three flicks).

And for those who still haven’t a clue of what composer did the music for each HP films, here’s a quick rundown:

John Williams composed the scores for PS/SS, COS and POA Patrick Doyle did the GOF score Nicholas Hooper composed the score for OOTP (and will do so for HBP)

It’s highly likely that Hooper will return for the 2-part DH flicks, but I did hear from a reputable source (Ford A. Thaxton) that the WB would love to get Williams to score the final HP films (Ford A. Thaxton is a film music soundtrack producer who has reliable connections). It is possible that the WB could take the composer decision out of Yates’s hands (but let him have final cut over the two DH films) and bring on Williams. In fact, the WB did the exact thing for Steven Spielberg when he did “The Color Purple”—only that Spielberg wasn’t allowed to use Williams but Quincy Jones instead.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve read elsewhere that he was going to be back for DH, but I hadn’t heard that he’d be there for HBP. Perhaps the Globe got confused?

Avatar Image says:

Hmm … personally, I like Hooper and Williams, so I would be happy either way. But if they both contributed that would be even better! Personally, I think Hooper should do HBP and Williams should do DH.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! That man makes some fabulous music! I hope this news is true!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, PPPLLLLEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Make it be true!!!! John Williams is the ONLY COMPOSER who should ever be allowed to compose for Harry Potter!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

omg my friend and i were just talking about how awesome it would be if we could see john williams pieces in concert. I live in australia so i HIGHLY doubt that it would come here. what a pity.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry to say, but this fellow’s scores are starting to bore me a bit. I’m hoping for Hooper to score the remaining films, as I really enjoyed his work on OotP.

Avatar Image says:

I can confirm that Nicholas Hooper IS the composer for HBP.

As for the S on the box, “the black shagginess” still stands.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, Muddtallica, I have to agree with Paulo. Don’t get me wrong, I really like John Williams but having just watched a few movies recently that he scored (most recent was Indiana Jones #2) and there were a few pieces that sounded like they could have been used for an HP movie. It just bothered me. I think Nicholas Hooper’s score was perfect for OoTP and I can’t wait to hear what he scores for HBP.

Avatar Image says:

I have to say, even though I have always loved Williams in any movie, I think Hooper made it way less cheesy, or ‘happy children’s fairy tale’... Don’t get me wrong, I have a HP soundtrack from him, but I was happier with Hooper for he made it all a bit more adult and darker…

Avatar Image says:

As much as I worship John William who is the greatest composer alive, I feel it works best when the film director has his favourite collaborator to score. Hooper’s score was magnificent and felt that he was in tune with the director’s vision. So since Yates had been confirmed to do the rest of the series, I had hoped Hooper would also be on board. My favourite soundtracks so far are John Williams Prisoner of Azkhaban and Hoopers Order of the Pheonix. Fingers crossed that Yates\Williams will be a great collaboration.

Avatar Image says:

myopinion.me: Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that many of Williams’ scores don’t sound similar; like any composer, he has a pretty distinctive style, and yes, the fact that he’s so prolific means that a lot of his tics and idiosyncrasies can start to feel over-familiar. But “all his scores sound the same”? That’s ridiculous, hyperbolic and totally false. Are you telling me that his Schindler’s List theme sounds the same as his Star Wars one, or that his soundtrack to JFK sounds the same as the one to ET? Williams’ range compares favourably to more or less anyone in the business – heck, the Prisoner of Azkaban score on its own is testament to that, encapsulating classical waltz, chaotic jazz, dissonant horror and folksy medieval music alongside the powerful, epic orchestral stuff we associate with him. He’s not a faultless composer, no – in all honesty, I found his first two Harry Potter scores be over-egged, repetitive and smothering, despite some great thematic work – but for me, on balance, he’s still the best in the business today.

Avatar Image says:

Absolutely agree with Muddtallica. John Williams scoring is so diverse and has encompassed so many different genres of music and is by far the greatest composer along with Bernard Hermann in movie history. But I carp back to my previous point. Why was his Prisoner of Azkhaban so radically different? Its because he was working with a director with a different vision (ie Alfonso) and his scored reflected this. Chris Columbus vision was more lighter kid friendly and Williams score reflected this too. This clearly shows that Williams scoring strongly correlates to a directors vision. The great thing about Williams is that he is a director’s dream to work with. So lets not hear about how Williams music sound the same because that is absolutely untrue. I just had hoped Hooper scored because he is refreshing and seems to nail Yates vision.

Avatar Image says:

I just had a look on www.imdb.com and guess what, it says Nicolas Hooper is the composer!!! IMDB has been know to get certain facts wrong on films currently in production though but not often.

Avatar Image says:

Seeing as Jurassic Park IV doesn’t even have a script, this clearly isn’t true. I love Williams but I do really love Hooper’s score as well, it was only Doyle that was the real low point for me

Avatar Image says:

Awww, I wish this were happening. They simply went to his IMDB.com site and looked at what was on tap. He’s not coming back—and it’s dumb.

There’s a really good reason why Hooper hadn’t composed for a major film before. Because he’s not that good. Sorry. I like to play basketball. But if my best friend was Kobe Bryant, I wouldn’t expect to be included on his team if he put one together.

Avatar Image says:

Jurasic Park 4? Set when??

Avatar Image says:

“I can confirm that Nicholas Hooper IS the composer for HBP.

He is also on track to compose ATLEAST some parts of DH 1 (this may change so that only derivatives of his “themes” in OotP & HBP will be used) You may read this to mean something…”

So Hooper hasn’t signed on to compose the score for DH part 2 either? Or is it too early to tell?

Avatar Image says:

yeah, i agree with anyone who is bored with williams. i like the music, but, as a musician, it’s a little contrived, i think. dissonance for the sake on dissonance gets irritating. however, i really do like the orchestrations of williams’s film scores.

i do not know, however, if he, himself, does the orchestrating, or if his staff handles that bit…

Avatar Image says:

Both Hopper and Yates are new to movies. They come from British TV. Hooper composes for TV shows and it showed with OOTP. I was so disappointed in OOTP due to the music and the made for TV feel. I loved all the HP books and movies 1-4, 5 just stuck out like a sore thumb IMO. I am keeping my fingers crossed for HBP and DH 1 & 2. I hope them don’t come across as movie of the week, with a weak score and direction. I am not a teenager, so I liked the child like quailty of 1 SS and COS. I was only familiar with HP through the movies. But was so diappointed in OOTP. It confused me and it felt hurried. hadn’t read the books until 7th was released last July. Then I read them one after another and fell in love. I hope Yates opens up his team to include people with more movie experience rather than TV.

Avatar Image says:

bec majec: I have actually been to such a concert, though John Williams wasn’t there. It was my local symphony doing some of his music. Naturally, “Hedwig’s Theme” was featured. There were also pieces from “Jaws”, “Superman”, “Star Wars”, “Catch Me If You Can”, etc. It was a really good concert for someone like me who has grown up watching many films for which this man has composed the music. Last year, we even had a “Harry Potter Symphony” concert, though it was disappointing. Some guy was a sort of host/narrator and I didn’t care for him; he spoke to the audience as if we were all about five years old. I am hoping that someday there will be a Harry Potter concert that focuses strictly on the music.

Awsome :D

Either composer is amazing, John Williams is one of the many composer-geniouses there are, BUT Nicolas Hooper is great too, i really loved his score one the OOTP movie – specially when they are on their way to hogwarts in the train and when they run down to Hagrids hut!

Gah the whole score is fantastic :D

Avatar Image says:

NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT! Williams contrinutes cliche scores (like star wars- type themes) which completely detach from the stories’ seriousness. (I mean, I don’t mind variations on Hedwig’s Theme, but seriously, it’s just childish). Hooper was awesome! HOOPER ALL THE WAY!

Avatar Image says:

It’s true that Williams repeats himself in a lot (not all) of movies. But that doesn’t mean that Hooper is the best way. Personally (that doesn’t mean it’s true) I think Hooper did the worst soundtrack. If you were musicians, like I am, you would notice that Hopper’s music is absolutely simple so everyone could have done it better and I hope he improves it for HBP, because he has talent but he has a lot to learn.

Avatar Image says:

I think Nicholas Hooper did a wonderful job on the Order of the Phoenix – some genuinely stirring and haunting moments in the score. Personally, I often find John Williams’ work a little saccharine and predictable, but the title theme for Harry Potter is a master piece, and the last 3 films have very much underused it to their detriment (especially Goblet of Fire, scored by Patrick Doyle).

Personally, I would love to see Ennio Morricone or Michael Nyman score the Deathly Hallows, but it would never happen. I think it is clear however that Nicholas Hooper (David Yates’ composer of choice) will score the Half-Blood Prince, and I look forward to hearing it.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams is semi-retired. He hasn’t scored any movie not made by Stephen Spielberg in over 3 years. Muddtallica is correct: neither Jurassic Park IV nor The Man of Steel are in production yet, and due to legal/licensing issues, The Man of Steel may not ever get made.

In all likelihood the reporter just looked at Williams’ IMDB listing (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/) and saw those movies listed as not having been released yet. But IMDB lists any movies that have any credit listing, and Williams will always be credited in Harry Potter because he wrote “Hedwig’s Theme.” (and similarly always gets a credit for the Superman and Jurassic Park themes)

Obviously I’m in a minority of 1 here, but I like Patrick Doyle’s work for Goblet of Fire the best. Williams, while still one of the greatest pure composers alive, seemed to move from thematic composition to writing music for scenes late in his career. As a result, his HP music, while consisting of individually astounding pieces, seemed disconnected somehow and not part of a greater whole. For example, “Buckbeak’s Flight” is an incredible piece of music but you never hear even a single bit of it again in the movie. (I am aware that “Window to the Past” pops up again in “Finale”, but it doesn’t seem connected to a particular person. Can you imagine if, during the climactic Death Star battle in Star Wars, you never heard Luke’s theme (the Rebel Fanfare) or the Force theme? It just seems not right.

Doyle on the other hand wrote wonderful themes for both Harry and Voldemort, which carry through the films’ key moments (most especially showing up in opposition in “Voldemort”). I was skeptical when he was brought in to succeed Williams, but I thought his score seemed much more connected and whole than Williams’ efforts, and equal to it in beauty if not in complexity (no one but no one matches Williams for the intricacy of his compositions)

I thought Hooper did alright for Order of the Phoenix, Professor Umbridge’s theme was great, other cues like “Ministry of Magic”, “Flight of the Order” and “Room of Requirement” were very good, but nothing quite matched “Harry In Winter” or “Voldemort”. He definitely had the tone of the movie (which was a bit lighter than the book) down pat. I won’t mind him coming back at all for Half-Blood Prince, especially since it should be a more light-hearted score than Order of the Phoenix was.

But for Deathly Hallows I’d prefer to have Doyle back.

Avatar Image says:

With regard to Williams’ always sounding the same, look: all composers go through periods of style in their work. For a guy who works for as long and as much as Williams has, you’re going to get some stuff that sounds similar. Try listening to “Sorcerer’s Stone” and “Phantom Menace” back-to-back. They sound very similar. The “Kids At Play” cue from Episode 1 could easily have part of the Harry Potter soundtrack. OTOH, other than themes that carried over I don’t think the Star Wars prequel scores sound much like the original trilogy at all. Why would they, they were composed 16 years apart! At least Williams doesn’t just copy himself over and over, like James Horner or Hans Zimmer. (not to say that those guys can’t write great scores, but theirs do all tend to sound alike)

I do feel that from the late 90’s on Williams seemed to focus on making ever-more intricate scores, sometimes sacrificing thematic coherence to do so. There’s only so many sounds the human ear can hear at a time before one’s head explodes. sometimes simpler can be better.

By the way, if you’re into movie scores, check out http://www.filmtracks.com

Avatar Image says:

yes please!!!! that would be so awesome!! if not, do something right for hallows and have him do it!

I hope that’s true!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow… went to the Boston Pops concert last night with John Williams conducting… fantastic performance and wonderful to see the great man himself. We barely managed to get tickets, and drove down from Vermont (about a 3-1/2 hour drive) but it was worth it. I hope many other fans here are getting this rare opportunity!

He did music from other great film composers, with music from Dr. Zhivago, Sabrina, and Lawrence of Arabia, then after the intermission, they did the “Harry Potter Grand Suite”.

He started with Hedwig’s Theme, and included “Harry’s Wondrous World”, “Diagon Alley”, “The Knight Bus”, “Fawkes’ Theme”, and “The Quidditch Match”. (Hope I remembered all of them). Vanessa Redgrave did a brief introduction to each of the pieces to set the stage. They also projected some film montages on big screen panels that lowered from the ceiling over the orchestra.

At the end, while there was a standing ovation, someone presented Vanessa Redgrave with a Nimbus 2000. We were fortunate that Williams and the Orchestra came out for three encores, which included the Indiana Jones and E.T. themes.

A very special night! There are performances through Saturday night, but tickets may be hard to get. Best of luck to everyone who tries!

Avatar Image says:

Oops… that was Lynn Redgrave last night… my bad!

Avatar Image says:

God I hope not. His music is way too friendly for these later movies. The movies are darker, thus the music should be darker. I like John Williams as much as the next guy, but having a different composer allows for a fresh feel to the score of each of the movies.

I just prefer Hooper or even Patrick Doyle to John Williams.

Avatar Image says:

To Dan: You’re not the only one who thinks Doyle should be pretty good fer DH. ; )

To Keith: You’re right ; ) Williams is too “familiar” or childish, and the soundtracks sould become more darker… but I think Hooper didn’t compose in a darker tone than Doyle. Doyle, although he repeats himself sometimes, would be faaaaar better than Hooper. I’m not saying that Hooper is bad but he is very strange… for the darkest moments he used only strange sounds, like atmospheres, but Doyle knows how to create a dark theme with a concrete melody. Just listen to GoF opening.

Avatar Image says:

I hope he does the whole score, but it’s probably just some tweaking of the theme (which he originally created in the first film). I may be alone in this, but I didn’t particularly like Hooper’s score of OOTP. I thought it was kind of dull. Williams, on the other hand, is a legend who gave us that memorable Harry Potter theme in the first movie and it would be great if he could finish out the last two.

Avatar Image says:

Yes! JOhn Williams made the original Harry Potter theme. All the other composers had different versions of that in the other movies. He composed a lot of music for great movies.

Avatar Image says:

Wow – if it were only true. I actually went to the concert in Boston at Symphony Hall. What a great performance! The entire second half of the concert was devoted to Mr. William’s HP creations, from Harry’s Wonderous World, the Knight Bus, to Hedwig’s Theme (10 songs in all). Standing ovation at the end!!! Included as encores were a piece from the new Indian Jones movie, the Indian aJones Theme itself, and capping off the night, the E.T theme! If not HBP, then Leaky fans should petition for Mr. William’s to do the last two movies and send HP out on a great note.

Write a Reply or Comment