New Harry Potter Prequel to Feature Marauders Story (Updated)

113

May 29, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Following on the big news from yesterday about the brand new 800 word prequel to events in the Harry Potter series, we now have some additional information about what the story will feature. According to the Guardian, we will be hearing more about the beloved Marauders, as the paper reports the story will feature “the fictional wizard’s father James and his friend Sirius Black in their younger years.” Newsround also has a small photo from the card, that shows the last line from J.K. Rowling that reads “From the prequel I am not working on – but that was fun!” Update: Thanks to Waterstone’s for providing us with this large preview of the last sentence from JKR as seen here in our galleries.

As we posted yesterday, this new Harry Potter prequel from author J.K. Rowling is contained on a special card that will be part of a charity auction to be held in London at Waterstone’s on June 10. The bookseller will then post the card (along with 12 other cards donated to the auction from authors such as Neil Gaiman and more) online, available for all to see on June 11. Also as we reported previously, this card then will be contained in a new book, which will go on sale in August and is NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER here via Waterstone’s. All proceeds from this event will benefit Dyslexia Action and English Pen.

More when we get it!

Thanks Roonwit and Kate!

56 Responses to New Harry Potter Prequel to Feature Marauders Story (Updated)

this is awesome. :D

Avatar Image says:

This is flippin sweet!! I want a whole book though :o(

Avatar Image says:

There is a bigger version of the postscript on the Waterstone’s website http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/navigate.do?pPageID=200000637

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to read it!

sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

Yeah!!!

Cant wait for it!!

Avatar Image says:

That is great! I hope some of the folks, on the last article, will read the last paragraph of THIS article! Thanks, Leaky, for letting Potter Fans know that they WILL be able to “own” this one. It may be a ‘copy’ and it may be with all the “other cards”, but it will be OURS to own! Think of it as “another addition to an already amazing series!” Way to go JKR and Waterstone’s!

COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL! OMG ;D

Avatar Image says:

Pre-ordering birthday present to self now! Good charity too! Dyslexia runs in my family and has made the enjoyment of books a very difficult task for those afflicted. It is a real shame. Books on CD are easier to come by now than two decades ago but still often are abridged, poorly read and very expensive. Scholastic was brilliant when casting Jim Dale to perform the HP series.

And, Confederate Lady, there must have been some programming glitch in the LAST article as the final paragraph didn’t show up on the screen until AFTER I posted a comment. Maybe others had the same problem.

Great news, Sue! Thanks for all of your continued devotion!

Avatar Image says:

hope i get to read it! XD

Avatar Image says:

This is excellent news and I am very excited.

That being said, as I re-read the HP books many times, I am coming to realize that my favorite thing about them is not the magic or the action. It is the witty banter and relationships between the characters. What I am trying to say is that I am looking forward so much to the next JK Rowling publication a lot, and whether or not it has anything to do with Harry Potter or magic means nothing to me. I am realizing that her next work will be incredible to me not because it is HP, but because of the relationships she writes about between her characters. So please JKR, write something, ANYTHING, we can’t wait to hear your words again.

That being said, of course I am doing backflips of excitement over this impending sequel (who wouldn’t?).

Avatar Image says:

J.K. Rowling just couldn’t resist doing this after indulging herself in some good Marauder fic on the internet. ;)

Avatar Image says:

wicked :) any back story about any harry potter character is great :D xx

Avatar Image says:

I wondered what life after Potter would be like… but it never ends! I love all the little stories that are trickling out. They keep the fan world spinning round. Maybe the truth is she’s just as hooked as we are and can’t quite put it all away.

Avatar Image says:

Yay, Marauders! I can’t wait to see this =D!

Avatar Image says:

I guess she’s over the tragic inability to write that the court case against SVA & RDR caused her.

From an author who you’re more used to writing 800 pages, I wouldn’t get too excited over 800 words.

Avatar Image says:

she should do a whole new series called “the marauders and the …....” yay JK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

The only thing I could do when I saw this was cover my mouth and SQUEEE!

Avatar Image says:

Oh man this is SO GREAT!!!!!!!!

I’m hurrying towards my book closet now, to check how many pages 800 words would make…

I’m so excited!!! THANK YOU JO!! Yet again!!! :-D

coolest thing to happen after 7th….... thanks jo

Avatar Image says:

Why is there no Thailand on the registration page? WHY is there no Thailand on the registration page? NOOOOOO!!!! This is NOT happening! gasps for air

Avatar Image says:

yay! I am completely in love with Sirius…

Avatar Image says:

VERY COOL! Can’t wait to see it! Thanks you, Jo!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

It will feature a policeman, woo! Any news about this is exciting

Avatar Image says:

WOW. This is so exciting. I don’t know what to do with myself!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

the the book availible in america?

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone ever notice how well JKR chooses her words…? She wrote: “From the prequel I am NOT working on”... She didn’t say I’ll NEVER work on. Maybe some day… (Sighs) It’s about James & Sirius! Well, Sirius is one of my three favorite characters (It’s causing me alot of pain to call Sirius a “Character” right now) in the whole series, so that’s great! Maybe JKR will (Lets say…Oh, I don’t know, 5 years from now) make a series of small books, like the size of the Goosebumps books, that will be more for younger kids…Lighter, more airy & fun… & It could be all about James, Sirius, Remus & Peter (Well, Peter WAS one of the Marauders…) running amok around Hogwarts! That’d be awesome! Does anyone agree?

Avatar Image says:

YES!!! My wish has been granted! Thanks, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Well I’ve preordered it! Hope I did it right since im in the US….Its a long wait to know for sure! And I don’t care how short it is. A good read is a good read!

Avatar Image says:

OMJ!!! Awsome!!! I luv the marauders!!! i hope there is some Lily in there too! I really want to read this!! cant wait! And today I graduate from 8th grade!!!!Wooo tonight at 6:00!!!

Luv-Lily

OH I CANT WAIT!!!

i am so glad the public can but it! squeee!!

Live, Love, Harry Potter!!

Avatar Image says:

i pre-ordered mine!!! i am pretty pumped. i think she should just write a bunch of these 800 word cards about random things in the harry potter universe and put them out for charity so people around the world can buy them to support her causes. neil gaiman is in this too, which makes it sooooo much better!

Avatar Image says:

OMG OMG! im sooo happy! I cant believe it!

Avatar Image says:

This is great! I’ve always wanted to know a little more about James and Sirius!

Avatar Image says:

Is there any way we will be able to get it from a local dealer in the US? It’s awesome, and a really great cause. I would love to be able to own it.

Avatar Image says:

this is so cool, im definately going to buy that book. maybe if J.K. keeps writing little bits and pieces like this they’ll end up as one whole new potter book! lol

Avatar Image says:

Ooo, book looks good. Can I buy it in American dollars?

Avatar Image says:

Aw, this is sweet! You know, she could do some more books just “related” to that world, alongside whatever else she felt like writing (mysteries, etc.) That would be true artistic freedom.

Don’t think she’s done with Harry quite yet somehow…

Avatar Image says:

This is great news. I can’t wait to find out more about James & Sirius in their years after Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

or maybe their 7th year depending on the math. either way can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

Gosh, why does she do this to us? Now I’ll be hoping for a full Marauder’s Series!

I can’t WAIT to get my hands on this once that book comes out!

Avatar Image says:

“Hello, my name is Jo, and I have Prequel Denial.” “Hello Jo!” “I thought it would go away when I used terms like “The Scottish Book”; but I find myself dashing off words on all scraps of paper. The Coffeehouse I go to is quite used to giving me some extra napkins if I run out of paper. I feel guilty about it, and hide these notes I wrote about that story I told EVERYONE I am done writing. I think my family is suspicious, though. At times I just blame it on my pen, and then the pen gets back at me, making me write lines from a story I told everyone that would not be written. Who gave me this pen anyway?” Well, I did it for Charity, which some people have been giving me the eye lately – like it’s my catchphrase if I want to dish about that book I AM DONE WRITING! Sorry, but my PR tells me I must remind people there is no more Harry Potter Books, and that I am working on a new novel.

However – My editor asked me the other day what was all these notes written on the sides of my new work?

I felt embarassed because I did not realize I had wrote some ideas that popped into my head, but I don’t remember doing it.

I think I suffer from Prequel Denial but I am not ready to admit it yet.- Can I sit down now?”

“Could you answer this for us – was this your handwriting on this note – “From the prequel I am not working on – but that was fun!”

“Um, it’s for Charity, you know Charity are great causes, and yeah I did, no it’s not a prequel, but I just felt compelled to give, because that is what you do for charities, and I like charities”

- Jo, if you need to write because part of your heart is speaks words of friendship then write the story that comes out of your pen. It’s your happiness that counts, the love in your life, and what you enjoy creating. So scribble notes and don’t feel like you have to hide your Prequel Denial through Charity giving. I wish I could find the right words to reflect back to you what you need to hear. There is nothing wrong in writing to your hearts content – even if it’s just for you.

Helyx Helyx: Cheers!*

Avatar Image says:

Hah, Chris – I laughed at the court case thing. Very true.

I’m also a bit confused as to the story card itself. How did she fit 800 words on it? I was under the impression it was postcard-sized. Small.

XDDD Amazing news! haha.

Avatar Image says:

i can’t wait to get that book, i mean i want to read it and i want to see how it looks.

Avatar Image says:

i cant wait to read it thanks j.k

Avatar Image says:

Jalen: I think the Story Card is 8-1/2” x 11”... & I also think you’re allowed to use both sides of the card. That’s what I thought…

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know if the fascimile book is for sale only through Waterstone, or will it be available through other booksellers? I don’t see anything….

Avatar Image says:

I would love for JKR to do something like this for a charity we could all get in on. You know post some short story online and then for a donation via PayPal or something similar we could download it or read it online for a limited time.

I would love to support some of these charities that JKR has helped by donating HP-related stories – but, don’ t really have the kind of cash people are forking out for this kinda stuff (i.e., Beedle the bard).

They need to an ‘everyman’s’ charity for the rest of us!

Avatar Image says:

is anyone else having problems pre-ordering it? can you order it from the states?

hello i am harry potter

the magical wizard

Avatar Image says:

“It’s still hard to believe that there’s not going to be another Potter book…. but as long as Jo keeps writing cards with 800 words, I’ll be fine….. HEHE!!!”

J.K. Rowling never said she wouldn’t write another Potter book, just that if she did, Harry would not be the main focus of it.

Avatar ImageRevolution365 says: I love all the other little stories that are appearing, they keep everyone interested and remembering Harry Potter, also i think that the fans always want to know more were Harry Potter's concerned-no one wants it to end.

Write a Reply or Comment