Pre-Order Anniversary Sorcerer’s Stone, New Interview with Cover Artist

112

May 30, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you Scholastic, the US publishers of the Harry Potter novels were issuing a special 10th anniversary edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone that would contain new material from author J.K. Rowling. You can now pre-order the book, here via our Cauldron Shop for a reduced price of $19.80. The book will be released on September 23, 2008.

As part of the anniversary edition, the book will contain this new artwork (also here in our galleries) from Mary GrandPre and Time magazine has a new interview online, where the artist discusses this piece and illustrating the beloved Harry Potter series. She says that drawing for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was her favorite and she relished the opportunity to revisit Harry for the 10th anniversary edition saying “It was really a nice opportunity. As Harry grew, I always wished I could go back and make a new piece for each book. So when the anniversary cover idea came up, I was really excited to do that. It’s like getting to do a new portrait of this old soul you really know.”

She also noted that before the final book she had never watched any of the Harry Potter films but now she is enjoying them now because she doesnt have to worry about them influencing her creations. Mary GrandPre also confirmed that the colors of the covers were a hint of things to come in the book.

“Your cover art often seems to contain hints of what’s to come without spoiling the plot. Is that a difficult line for you to walk?

A little bit, but that’s the fun part too. You’re teasing the readers with something that piques your interest. It’s fun to design that into the cover, and show hints and shadows. The mood in the book is often set by suggesting things�a sound, a soft color, a shadow. I try to do that with the illustrations, too, to give that sense of mystery to it when I can.”

Thanks Jamie!

26 Responses to Pre-Order Anniversary Sorcerer’s Stone, New Interview with Cover Artist

Avatar Image says:

Nice! but I’ll probably pre-order it from Books-a-million. It’s much cheaper for me. I can’t wait to get my hands on this one! More material from Jo and more illustrations from the wonderful Mary GranPre = AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Omg I can’t wait to get this book!!

Avatar Image says:

10 years with Harry Potter.awesome.happy anniversary!what about film news people?they finished filming a week ago! at least few pictures…. :(

Avatar Image says:

oh no, I just crapped my with excitment over a book I already have 2 copies of. One normal one and one with golden pages thats never been read. I think that good enough!!!

Avatar Image says:

Cheers!* I’ll definitely be at ‘Barnes & Noble’ on September the 23! Mary GrandPre: You’re a fantastic artist & I “Thank You” for the amazing illustrations you provided for the ‘Harry Potter’ series.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t yell at Leaky because their is no news about the movie. That question belongs to the WB, not leaky. If you want to just bug them for the fun or it head over to Muggelnet and bug them. Because I don’t like them.

Avatar Image says:

It’s a great interview, and I love GrandPre’s work. Her chapter art for Deathly Hallows was phenomenal!

We have a great discussion on her HP art in the Galleries forums—

Avatar Image says:

I almost couldn’t get my e-mail address out! That is one of the most fantastic pieces I have seen, for Harry! Ms Gran Pre is awesome! 10 years of Harry Potter…seems like only yesterday…Thank you, Sue and Leaky, for brining this news. Thank you, JKR, for giving us the wonder that is Harry Potter!

Mary GrandPre, you rock!

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone have an Idea of what is the “new material from author J.K. Rowling” ? I’m really curious!

Avatar Image says:

Yay. That’s really cool how they are coming out with this ‘new’ kind of book for the tenth anniversary. I love it. :)

Avatar Image says:

Besides the cover, will the book contain any other new artwork from GrandPre?

Avatar Image says:

@kitkat-calm down. I’m not yelling at Leaky, I would never do such a thing. I yell at WB! I don’t like muglenet either. Leaky rocks:)

Avatar Image says:

awww…I just recently bought SS in hardcover! Had I known I would have waited a few more months (I have it in paperback anyway)!

Whatever, I can never have too many copies :)

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know what is this “new material” from Rowling?? More to the story, or notes, perhaps?

Finally, some proof that Mary Grandpre loved Book 7 best! :D

Avatar Image says:

my wife is telling me i can’t get these ones too, but i’ll win her over. the oldest is finally working his way through the series so by the time the other 2 kids get done with theirs i’ll be able to get the new ones.

and look at Sue , on the ball all week, last for news stories all by her!!!

Avatar Image says:

YAY YAY YA! I cant wait!!! I am sooo excited about this. I will definitly be waiting in line at midnight for this!!

Live, Love, Harry Potter!!

Avatar Image says:

hehehe!! the skull, the blue eye, and the spinner. ..anyone else notice that? lol _

Avatar Image says:

I can see how Mary Grandpre said the colors she uses are influenced by the book. It also reflects the tones in the movies.

Avatar Image says:

Lol Steph…there’s the spirit.

I’m in the US and I’d actually rather have the Bloomsbury editions than 10th anniversary editions, although that does depend on the content JKR included…I’ll have to wait for Sept. and read it in the bookstore first!!

I’m with Matea too, I can’t wait to see photos of the new movie!!! Sooo excited!!!!

Avatar Image says:

He he! I preorderd my copy! It will be my third SS though one is PS! How many can we have?? Not enough, if they are all a little bit different! Its bank rolling them thats the problem!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe this has been reported earlier, but is there any news about the “new material” from the author in this anniversary book? Is this a Special Edition with added character background or photocopies of handwritten notes perhaps? Or is new novel text added in this book?

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Jo for putting more material back into this book!

I notified the Bookstore in Amsterdam that sells English Books with the Article so they can possibly make some sort of fun release party for the book.

I am hoping now that the edited material that was originally taken out by the editors due to hesitation about the books acceptance will finally be restored. This is also a good time to correct any continuity errors.

I do hope it is just a bit more Art of Mary GrandPre than just the cover but I still would be happy with that. I loved her Deluxe Edition Covers.

Avatar Image says:

stitch i see the skull and the eye, but what do you mean by the spinner? and where is it?

Avatar Image says:

I’m SO anxious to get this new 10th anniversary edition. The new material from JK is going to be awesome, but I’m also very excited by the new cover. I hope same day we get a large size book with reproductions of much (if not all) of Mary GrandPre’s art for the Harry Potter series. Maybe in The Scottish Book?

Write a Reply or Comment