J.K. Rowling Hosts Charity Ball, Donates Prize of Wizard Portrait at Theme Park

Jun 01, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling hosted a special charity ball last night in Scotland to benefit the MS Society Scotland. The Sunday Mail reports that this gala ball, which was held at the Harburn House, West Lothian, included music and dance, and an auction for a special prize donated by Jo. This prize was “the chance to be immortalised as a wizard or witch in a portrait at the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park in Florida.” Notables such as author Ian Rankin, actress Joely Richardson and singer Charlotte Church were among those attending this event which raised £320,436 for Multiple Sclerosis. Readers will recall that J.K. Rowling has long been involved in the battle against MS, having lost her mother to the disease, and now serves as a Patron of MS Society Scotland.

20 Responses to J.K. Rowling Hosts Charity Ball, Donates Prize of Wizard Portrait at Theme Park

Avatar Image says:

what a lovely, inspirational lady (:

Hey that’s great. Go Jo. Yay 2nd post

Avatar Image says:

This is just splendid! I just wish I could have attended myself. ;)

Avatar Image says:

Brilliiant! I wonder who the artist is that will do the portrait!? I think JKR is one of the most inspirational and creative ladies I have ever had the pleasure to know! What a fantastic way to raise money, for charity!

Pictures plz!?

runs to the shop to buy The Times

Avatar Image says:

Awh I wish I could’ve gone! Hahha. Not that I have any money to give.

Go Jo !!!!

Avatar Image says:

For reference, that’s $634,206.49 in dollars! WOW! What a fantastic help for the MS Society!

What fun! I wonder if they’ll announce won the auction?

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful ! MS is such a good cause, many of our nurological problems are “at the mercy of charity” . I am pleased that the profile of charity (that many of us have to rely upon) is raised. WTG Jo Thanks !

Avatar Image says:

I wish i had money. It seems that’s the only way to be part of the Harry Potter world this days, rich and famous… :(

Avatar Image says:

I will say one thing about Jo – she has style. I still hope she has a live portrait that occasionally comes to life when she feels like popping up. That would be a real treat for the kids at the Park.

go jo !!!

i do say jo when you do something you do it with style

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Avatar Image says:

That is such a creative idea! That would be so cool to have your portrait as a witch or wizard at the theme park. I wonder who won and if they’ll release a picture of the portrait before the theme park opens.

Avatar Image says:

J.K. Rowling is amazing: Everything she does for charity’s, she does benefits, she raises her kids & she still writes some…Soon, hopefully more, when the case is over & she can get back to the encyclopedia.

Oh my goodness! I want to have a painting of myself at the theme park! (I know, selfish little me…)

Avatar Image says:

Jo’s going to have a portrait at the park too, right? I don’t see how she couldn’t.

Avatar Image says:

it’d be so awesome if they had moving portraits at WWoHP!

Avatar Image says:

Jo is actually quite good at drawing, how about she drew the potrait! No wait, someone would just steal it and sell it for a million…

Avatar Image says:

Wow, that is really wonderful of her! Even her contests and charity work is so creative, in a sense! She’s a wonderful wonderful lady!

Avatar Image says:

Jo You have out done yourself again! hat of to you J.K Rowling Congrats!!!!

Avatar Image says:

All those lovely celebrities attended the party to donate. No matter what Jo promises for it.

Write a Reply or Comment