Helen McCrory: Narcissa Malfoy is a “Baddie with a Heart”

120

Jun 03, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actress Helen McCrory was a guest on the BBC Radio 4 program “Woman’s Hour” during which she spoke of her upcoming role as Narcissa Malfoy in the “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film. Appearing on the show to discuss her current role in an Ibsen play now running in London entitled “Rosmersholm,” Mrs. McCrory first spoke of the demanding nature of this part and of how this play came to her attention. Later in the interview, Mrs. McCrory delves into the the “Half-Blood Prince” production, discussing Narcissa’s character, her wardrobe, and even the special care that is shown for her wand. Although stating she can say “practically nothing” about the film, she does go on to say this about her character’s wand:

”…I get a wand. And somebody comes up to you on the set with a wand in a box. You literally use the wand and then it’s put back into the box and it’s taken away… and put in a safe. So, using a wand is no light thing.”

Continuing on, Mrs. McCrory then expands on comments made in previous interviews on her character’s wardrobe in the film, saying:

”…There is a fantastic designer called Jany who is Parisian and, of course, has more style in her little finger than most of us will have in our entire life. And she has designed… it’s very high couture, what I am wearing, which is wonderful. It’s all 50s and very hourglass and pencil skirts and very, very chic.”

Finally, Mrs. McCrory calls the entire experience working on the sixth Harry Potter film “a fantastic thing” because, she says, “it’s like being in Alice and Wonderland” with her fellow actors and the characters they’ve created. She also makes comments on her experience with young fans now that she has taken on this role and of the support she received during the production in regards to filming around her pregnancy.

You can listen to or download the ten minute interview in its entirety right here via the BBC Radio 4 website. Helen McCrory will appear as Rebecca West in “Rosmersholm” through July 5th at the Almeida Theatre in London, England.

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” will hit theaters in the US and UK this November.

160 Responses to Helen McCrory: Narcissa Malfoy is a “Baddie with a Heart”

Avatar Image says:

imagine narcissa malfoy in a pencil skirt! sounds cool Mrs taymore is amazing!

Avatar Image says:

“It’s all 50s and very hourglass and pencil skirts and very, very chic.” ?? Somehow, that’s not how I envisioned Narcissa . . . Maybe it will work, but I have to say I’ve questioned some of the wardrobe decisions in the movies before now. . .

By the way – thanks for changing the countdown clock to “HBP”! :-)

Avatar Image says:

McCrory is very funny and a class act! Seeing her as Tony Blair’s wife in THE QUEEN convinced me she will do marvelously as Narcissa.

• anxiously awaits pix of t he “Narcissa couture” *
Avatar Image says:

I’ve never really considered the wardrobe in the movies, but I completely agree, Professor Lily. Pencil skirts just don’t fit with my Harry Potter world vision. Hmm, we shall see.

Avatar Image says:

fourth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha, im finally one of the top ten!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Very cool, I love that she is so into it and had fun with it. I think the “high couture” suits Narcissa perfectly, I pictured her that way, very understated but elegant, not as flamboyant as Lucius. Can’t wait to see it all!

Avatar Image says:

I’m counting the seconds to the movie! That bit about the wand was very interesting. I wonder how Narcissa will look in the movie. I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

wow, it’s wonderful that she had such a wonderful time doing it all. Im excited to see how her part is used

Avatar Image says:

i cannot wait to see her part in diagon alley.it is just strange to pencil skirts in hp.it does not fit the hp world.

Avatar Image says:

I gues the thing I find odd is that they keep dressing them in fancy muggle clothing. I think Jason Isaacs has the right take on Lucius Malfoy, and I think it would apply to Narcissa as well, that he wouldn’t be caught dead dressed in muggle clothing. Hence, we have Lucius looking very proper in his cloak rather than the suit that wardrobe wanted for him in the second movie.

Just as long as they give Narcissa blond hair, I’ll be happy.

Oh, and about the count-down clock. Is that available anywhere? I tried looking around for a place to download it and couldn’t find it.

Avatar Image says:

Is she pregnant again then? Because that’s what stopped her filming as Bella initially? How is she going to film Deathly Hallows in that case?

Avatar Image says:

I was wondering that, too, Kate, if she is pregnant again, but if so it is not a problem for DH. That won’t start filming until next February, so she’ll be good to go by then unless she is just barely along, and even if she is they can always do her scenes a few months into filing. That movie is going to take them over a year to complete. :)

Avatar Image says:

That is crazy about the wand. Non-magical pieces of plastic/wood with light bulbs and batteries needing such security… wow.

Avatar Image says:

I expect they lock them up so they don’t lose a valuable prop or somebody doesn’t take it home and sell it on ebay!

I can’t really picture the pencil skirt either—sounds like Rita Skeeter or even Dita von Teese. LOL. But I guess if they went long and medieval she’d look like a blonde Morticia.

We’ll have to wait and see…

Avatar Image says:

I was like what countdown? Leaky always breaks my computer for a few minutes while it loads, then the site is always broken up weird, so I tried internet explorer, broken Leaky, finally FireFox has a working properly leaky no blocking of the internets, and there is a Half Blood Prince count down YAY! So note to self use Fire Fox to check Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

cool stuff as for Naecissa’s look id say totally custom made clothes made from the finest materials the malfoy fortune can buy. exetreme elegence id how id picture Naecissa perhaps a tad dishelved when she goes to severus for help but still elegent

Avatar Image says:

I picture Narcissa with a slim, stylish outline—so I think 50s-style pencil skirts might do the trick, as long as there’s a bit of witch’s flair added in. Like others here, I’m quite wedded to the image of Cissy as depicted by Makani (of acciobrain!).

Sounds awesome. Can’t wait! XD

Avatar Image says:

In Spinner’s End both Narcissa and Bella are described as wearing cloaks, which seems much more appropriate than Muggle fashions, particularly as the Malfoys despise even half-blood wizards never mind Muggles. There has been a lot of muddled thinking in these films ever since PoA with regard to costume.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah you are so right, Graymayne, OOPT is the worst movie ever made, Trolls 2 is even better then it, no Cloverfield is a masterpiece of film compared to OOPT. You are so right Graymayne. You are so right.

Avatar Image says:

I like the mix between muggle clothes and wizard clothes.

I think is more realistic to dress young wizards with muggle clothes. Afterall there are a lot of wizards who have a muggle relative so there are a lot of influences between the two worlds.

On the contrary for the older characters, it’s normal to see them in wizard clothes. Imagine Snape in jeans !

For Narcissa, don’t create a buzz about one sentence, it’s only one dress, I’m sure they created several outfits for the actress.

I’m also eager to discover how her wand looks ! I really like the design they created (since PoA) for each wands !

And by the way, Ootp movie rocks !!!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s funny, I always imagine Narcissa wearing expensive dresses but with a heavy black cloak over the top. Or at least Dressy-looking robes with lots of green or gold. I’m not sure what I think about pencil skirts. It’s too… executive-secretary. :-/ meh.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so looking forward to seeing her take on this role! With regards to her being grateful for the production filming around her pregnancy, I’m guessing she was referring to the fact that she had previously been cast as Bellatrix but that her pregnancy had prevented her from taking that role. At that point, she could easily have lost any chance to take part in the HP movies at all, and instead they offered her a later part – that must be extremely flattering for an actor and I think shows incredible support for her. So that’s what I imagined she meant… As for her wardrobe, let’s just wait and see what they have created for her, I think her description is not as closed as it might at first appear – there’s still some room for manoeuvre within it, it might not be as some people are imagining?

Avatar Image says:

Ed Tom you are so wrong, quit pretending you have a clue on how to critique a film.

Avatar Image says:

I think the whole 50’s thing will work. After all, we’ve never seen a fashionista in any of the movies, so we have no idea of what is the latest fashion trend in the wizardly world. All we’ve seen are those huge robes (not figure-flattering AT ALL!) It will be great!

Avatar Image says:

Well 1950s look is a lot better that 2000s Chav. So it could be worse, as the costume designers since POA hasn’t had a clue about wizard clothing.

Avatar Image says:

A pencil skirt? Wow. I always imagined just a long dress, or a black cloak?

Avatar Image says:

A Pencil skirt? I can’t imagine her in that. It isn’t what I expected, but I think we just have to wait and see how she looks. Sounds awesome anyway!

Avatar Image says:

First off, “let me say this, about that”...50’s fashion was very “stylish”...”now”..I t ‘Lucius’ favors the suave, all black, chic. ‘Narcissa’ would follow and compliment that type with a good 50’s sort of “chic sleek” I can see it, by the way, in black, as ‘Lucius’ tends to wear….With cloaks like the one ‘Lucius’ wore in ‘Chamber of Secrets’...’Snape’s choice of residence makes perfect sense, given his way of “not wanting to be like everyone else”...He’s almost a “loner” and what better way to do that than to be in a place where one would be ’”invisible” As for “OOTP being the worst movie ever made” I find it is the BEST of the movies, thus far, with the exception of ‘Sorcerer’s Stone’. As always, you may take or leave…

Avatar Image says:

Christine: I see, as you do, a “long dress”...think long, slender, with a black cloak! Not quite a “Morticia” but very close. More of a “Marilyn Monroe meets Morticia Addams”! Creepy Chic!!!

I see sort of a Morticia without the spiderweb netting _. ,

Avatar Image says:

Leaky changed the countdown clock!!!!! YAY!! Only 170 days until HBP comes out…..... = ]

Morticia as well!

Avatar Image says:

I dont know where any of you are getting this idea that she wont be blonde or that her dress will be this straight thing. IF I can clue you in with out saying anything- hint hint- I am sure her dress is Green with sculpted black and is a little puffy at the bottom and Im also certain she will have Blonde hair. She is not pregnant. I have great confidence that she will make a fantastic Narcissa and cant wait to see her. I saw her in the Queen and she did a marvelous job as someone with high class. I have a GREAT idea for those who arnt reassured go on google images and type in Narcissa Malfoy and keep looking for a few pages. By the way where is this new count down I dont see it. I also happen to be one of you that thinks the movies get better with every one they make.

Avatar Image says:

wow, let’s calm down with the negativity! seriously. every little bit of news gets pummeled with individual commentary about how ‘it’s not what i pictured… the filmmakers are ruining everything… they don’t know anything about wizard wardrobe…’

interpretation. that’s what film is; don’t knock every creative choice made. i swear you’ll enjoy the experience so much more.

Avatar Image says:

There was a photo of her on the internet awhile agao (Ithink it was removed) that showed she will be blonde and like Bellasnape said in a green full lenght dress the skirt may have been more “pencil like” instead of flowing kind of the way bella’s outfit is long but tighter to the body then a flowing robe. Just my thoughts on what I saw once in my crystal ball. :)

And where is this count down clock some of you are seeing? Do you have to do that log in thing to see it becasue it won’t let log in and when I try to re register it won’t let me.

Thank you Seth.

Avatar Image says:

Your idea makes sense, Michele.

Avatar Image says:

I hope they release some pics of her and of others, I don’t want videos, JUST SOME PICTURES PLEEEASE! We’ve gotten crazy material for other movies waaay before the movie came out, and now we’re much closer than usual and no trailer, no official pics? We need something WB!

Michele, the countdown is on the top left corner of the page, by “The Leaky Cauldron”

oh, did I mention? I had the wit to call WB offices in California and ask about the release date for the trailer, I felt kind of stupid, lol… well the operator was NOT cooperative; told me to just watch the fansites for any news… PLEASE! what the heck, when will we freaking get SOMETHING!?

Avatar Image says:

I hope she has white-blond hair in the movie though…

Avatar Image says:

I agree Seth. This is a creative interpretation. Personally, I think the pencil skirt sounds fantastic! Just think how classy everyone looked in the 1950s. I keep thinking Jackie Kennedy (even though she was known for her fashion in the 1960s), because if there ever was a woman with high class in her fashion, she is the first person i think of. Similar to her, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn. I’ll admit i’m a little weirded out about the wizarding community wearing muggle clothing all the time. I feel some disconnect with them at times because i see robes in my head but they aren’t there on the screen. I’m not going to lie though, if Narcissa had to wear muggle clothing i totally see her in 50s clothing.

Let’s try not to get too discouraged by whatever we read. I trust WB to do their best. Every movie has been such a huge project. Anyway, thanks for the counter Leaky! Is there a widget available?

Avatar Image says:

There’s no need to “hope” for what color her hair is guys. We know. it’s blond, it’s blond, it’s blond! Just look at the picture at was leaked 2 months ago.

Avatar Image says:

Why does Narcissa need a wand? Did she ever have one in the book, I forget? If she did (well she obviously did, being a witch and all) I don’t recall her ever using it…

Avatar Image says:

That’s cool…but I really cant picture cissy in a pencil skirt. For me she is more of the type that either wears fancy black dresses or robes. I mean they are witches and wizards. how come they never wear robes???

luv-Lily

Avatar Image says:

ooh! Narcissa in couture?! I can’t wait. Her outfit sounds fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with everyone who is saying not to panic. Aside from Michael Gambon’s hobo robes (I REALLY don’t like what he wears, Richard Harris’ looked much more the way DD should, IMO, very “wizardly” and flamboyant) I think they have done a really good job with the costuming. I agree they should stick a bit more to the cloaks in general, but I imagine they make the action sequences a lot tougher, not only to film, but also for the audience to see what exactly is happening an screen as flowing cloaks do obscure a lot of movement.

In any case, for everyone who cannot see the countdown clock: try emptying your cache or refreshing the page. :)

Avatar Image says:

The costumes have all fit the characters to a tee- I have seen her dress from far away and It doesnt look like a pencil dress. Its puffy like I said , I mean she doesnt look like Cinderella but it sticks out. I dont know where you guys think that the characters have been wearing muggle styles. They look witchy and wizardy to me. And please as said lets not read to far into what is said, or assume – if you assume you make a __ out of u and me. LOL. sorry its a saying I like. I am partially computer impaired so I stilled dont see this new countdown, and have no clue where the refresh button is.

Avatar Image says:

i think if they do it right it will look absolutely amazing, i think they could figure out a way to make pencil skirts “witchy” i agree with Arithmancer- i absolutely love makani’s version of narcissa (and just about everyone else too), in fact, under general art 2006 there is a picture called ‘nother dress for cissa, that looks really cool and is very pencil skirt/50s-ish. or you can just look at it here without having to navigate through her website (although that is a lot of fun)- http://acciobrain.ligermagic.com/hpnarcissadress3.jpg

Avatar Image says:

ugh.. i don’t want to HEAR about Narcissa.. I want to SEE her.. BTW, why did WB want those pics removed? I thought THEY released them.. wtf

Avatar Image says:

Thanks LemonFaerie, I still had the DH Book up there but now I see the count down clock.

will she be blonde?

Avatar Image says:

Yes she will be blonde. And Narcissa might need her wand for threatening Bella with at the begining when she’s trying to prevent her from seeing Snape.

Avatar Image says:

The malfoys would never wear muggle clothing. They hate muggles, remember??

just look here: http://galeria.potterish.com/thumbnails.php?album=2042

Avatar Image says:

Yea Graymore, I agree. In POA they deliberately tried to “make the kids look more like normal teenagers”, which they did by putting them in muggle clothes most of the time, but that really disappointed me. The whole point of the HP world is that they ARE different from muggles – the descriptions by JKR in the books of “robes” and “cloaks” worn by wizards do this perfectly. In the movies, seeing the kids climb into their Hogwarts robes helps me to make the leap from muggle to magical world, and they should keep it that way – Narcissa in a pencil skirt just doesn’t sound right!

Avatar Image says:

It’s always nice to hear something new about hbp. Thanks Leaky! By the way, I like the new count down, very nice.

Avatar Image says:

Iolanthe, that comment was one of the funniest things I have ever read, even though I had to look up who Dita von Teese was. And, also, I picture Narcissa with shorter hair than Morticia from “The Addams Family”. Now I have their theme song stuck in my head!

Avatar Image says:

She sounds wonderful and I can’t wait to see her in action (or at least in HBP photos – hint hint). I have always had a lot of trouble with all the muggle clothing in the films especially from the purist characters (perhaps Jason Isaacs should have been a costuming consultant. his outfit was his idea after all). It just doesn’t make sense to me. Anyhoo, I try my best to overlook things like that even though it does niggle at me. I’m sure it will all be fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

That wouldnt have been a bad idea DeliaDee, he could’ve helped design his wifes dress. Ha that would be funny but if you guys were one of the few that caught a glimpse of the pictures it is not a pencil dress or skirt. I even saw the Sketches for the dress it is Dark green with Black couture cut out on top and flowing on the bottom with a small train like thing that is removeable I believe. Helena did a good job creating her outfit as well. Just search for the pics or Im sure some one has them on file somewhere. But dont worry she looks nothing like a muggle – She looks Like a true Malfoy!

Avatar Image says:

hi me and hermy have been HUGE fans for as long as we can remember, we are distraught at the casting of this common blooded actor as she does not have the features narcissa poseeses, e.g. the icy blond hair and the piercing blue eyes THIS IS OUTRAEGOUS DO YOU WANT TO UNDERMINE THE DARK LORD! give us some feedback (by owl)

Avatar Image says:

Hate to say this Draco and Hermy but your Noobs! she was casted in November and this has been discussed more than enough times. I think others would agree we are not going to go blue in the face over something so pointless and stupid. This pic on the top is not what she looks like. I HAVE SEEN HER AS NARCISSA- SHE DOES HAVE BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES. And wears Slytherin colors even.

Avatar Image says:

“Alice in Wonderland” ? Harry Potter is a much darker series as far as I know. “Pencil skirt” ? Narcissa Malfoy has been potrayed as a bad-hearted but motherly figure, always wearing a cloak. Whats going on ?

Avatar Image says:

excuse me “noob” you wouldn’t know magic if it hit you in the face; if you don’t care then your not a fan, you’re nothing more than a common squib! True fans do get “blue in the face,” it seems you should be reading barry trotter, we are just passionate fans who stay true to the text…...LONG LIVE HOGWARTS.

Avatar Image says:

Wow I never really thought that five year olds did come on here- heard it might happen but never thought I’d run into one. I happen to be very faithful to the books and a very big fan of them and the movies. I started them when they first came out and have been loyal to them ever since. I just think you are nothing but a Noob for coming up with this crap now. I have seen Barry Trotter in book stores and think it is outrageous- I dont like parodys. So I suggest you just shut up if you now whats good for ya kiddie. And I do stay true to the text. End of discussion.

Avatar Image says:

NOT END OF DISCUSSION you are actually addressing 3 pure bloods not one you wrackspurt! We looked noob up inthe dictionary and it is not present. Our loyality has never wavered and that is why we question narcissa’s appearance. We heard that this website was for true fans but you have undermined this you spineless toad, you deserve to be covered in stinksap- you probably don’t know what that is—- we suggest you read the books. END OF DUEL….HISSSSSS

TROLL ALERT

Avatar Image says:

Note: change of name. The americans are so paranoid, trolls only stay in the world of HP. If your such a big fan maybe you should try some English spelling e.g. coloUr as J.K. Rowling does.

IDIOT

Avatar Image says:

We would just like to say to our friend, Hermy that we are very sorry for not letting her take part in our last comment.

from Draco and Lucius xxxxx

Avatar Image says:

if hermy reads this, know this: we love her forever.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t understand why you are so hostile Draco and Lucius/Hermy. I think, perhaps, you misunderstand the Leaky community. We don’t duel here. We’re all about the community and supporting it and each other. Yes, we discuss and debate but there is no reason or for such malice. We are all friends here. Peace to you.

Avatar Image says:

Back to our regular topic… did Helen say anything at all about whether she’ll look forward to reprising her role in the final two films? I know there’s a news article saying that she’ll play Narcissa in DH (probably due to a two-three-film contract stipulated when she first signed on), but she say anything about DH or was it strictly general discussion about HBP?

Avatar Image says:

Yes Matthew she is signed on to reprise her role in Deathly Hallows. So far we have her, Helena, Brendan, David, and Timothy. I think perhaps even Natalia too.

Avatar Image says:

Now there’s an oxymoron, Ms. McRory. A baddie with a heart? Yeah as if baddies had a heart. Now if they did they would’t be so nastily bad in movies or in real life for that matter. She is not how I imagined Narcissa when I was reading the book. She is miscast,and no blond wig can remedy that.

Avatar Image says:

Her name is McCrory not McRory – so you must also feel that Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton are miscast as Lucius and Draco Malfoy because they are not blondes?

Avatar Image says:

Okay I dont know if its something in the water lately again but I have to say something. Why the hell are we – excuse me a few idiots back on this utterly stupid and rediculous topic of the fact that she is not a natural blonde? Get over yourselves and put something through your eyes if you cant handle it. But my God, look at the front page , right in plain sight is a NATURAL picture of Jason Issacs and he has as DARK OF HAIR as her, so I ask why we choose to give her crap and not the other two. Stupid right – thats what I thought there is no other explaination. And a baddie can have a heart, look at Snape for gods sake. HEs bad ( extremely moody and malacious) 90% of the time and yet he does have a big heart. So just quit. Or Bellatrix we know she has a heart , but it only belongs to Voldy.

Avatar Image says:

This is the that I envisoin Narcissa Malfoy she as to be the counter part of Lucius rich and with style she has to have the best couture dress which means one of a kind that no one has and I think that is so cool.

Avatar Image says:

I disagree entirely with everything I have recently said, Helen is ugly.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, BellaSnape – that’s really nasty! What an unkind thing to say about anybody – I think that you must be a baddie without a heart! Well, in my opinion, Helen McCrory and her husband Damian Lewis both look gorgeous in this photo taken at the Academy Awards when her film The Queen was a nominee: http://www.damian-lewis.com/2008/04/12/741.php

Have you ever looked this good?!

Avatar Image says:

i think helen is going to play the part very well as narsicca and i think draco is going to be proud of helen as well and when helen plays narsicca in deathly hallows helen will be even better.

well done helen see you and tv soon
Avatar Image says: I can't wait to see Narcissa's wand,I got Bella's wand rep from the noble collection,and I hope that they make Narcissa's as well. I want to get all of the Black family's wands.:) So far I have Bella and Draco's,and I still need Lucius' wand/walking stick, Tonks', and Sirius'. Really you guys if you love harry potter and collect stuff from the movies, go to the noble collection.they can be a little pricey but everything is well made.The jewlery is made with sliver and gold, not cheap metals.Everything is well detailed it looks like its really from the movie,so go check it out. Now If your a Narcissa fan you may,(like me) have to wait to get her wand til after the movie comes out,maybe even on dvd,because they have to get premistion from WB to Barrow the prop, to make a cast of of it, mix the right shade of paint,ect.But I really think that they will make her wand. They have How ever, made a couple new props from the 6th movie, the locket in the cave, and slytherin's ring.And for those of you who already have some of the harry potter wands, they now have new displays for the wand and box it comes in. Right now all they have is harry, herminone, dumbledor,and voldimort.So visit the site @: noblecollection.com.

Write a Reply or Comment