Buyer of Harry Potter Prequel Seeks to Use Item for More Charity Fundraising

Jun 11, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The buyer of the new Harry Potter prequel, which you can read online via this link to Waterstone’s or this new link, says he purchased the special note card donated by J.K. Rowling in hopes that he will be able to do more for charity. Bloomberg.com reports the new owner of the Harry Potter prequel note card sold last night at a charity auction in London, England, is Hira Digpal, president of a Tokyo-based investment-banking consulting company, Red-33. The article notes that the new owner “who originally had a closed bid of 50,000 pounds before halving his offer, said he faxed a letter to Rowling’s publisher asking for the author’s cooperation to use the story in a way that would raise more money for charity. He declined to give details of the proposal. “Here I am, owning a piece of literary history,” said Digpal in a phone interview from Tokyo. “I think I got a bargain. Hopefully, we can raise much more than the sale.’‘

As we’ve reported several times previously, this note card featuring a short story involving Sirius Black and James Potter 3 years before Harry was born, along with the 12 other cards from various authors such as Tom Stoppard, Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood among others will be published on August 7 by Waterstones, with proceeds to benefit English Pen and Dyslexia Action in the UK. At this time we do not know what other efforts may be made with the card for charity, however pre-orders for the book containing the Harry Potter prequel card are available via this link.

Last night proved to be an exciting time for the auction. Bloomberg continues to describe how Mr. Digpal ended up winning the card, saying “Digpal’s bid topped the offer of one of the crowd of 100 guests who attended the event, conducted by Sotheby’s auctioneer Edward Rising at Waterstone’s branch in Piccadilly. The Rowling lot attracted interest from only one bidder in the room. “I told them, if it gets past my limit, call me—wake me up,” said Digpal, 36, a Briton who received the news that he’d won at 5:27 a.m. “I was thinking of buying stocks, but the market’s been very volatile. It’s a good investment for when I kick the bucket in 30, 40, 50 years’ time.”

Asked why the auction had been an invitation-only event, without participation from the general public, Johnson said: “We felt this was the best way to do it. This was a charity auction. It wasn’t exclusively about making money.’‘

59 Responses to Buyer of Harry Potter Prequel Seeks to Use Item for More Charity Fundraising

Avatar Image says:

it’s great he donated that much to charity. Good for us to because now we have a prequel.

Avatar Image says:

The charity JKR elicits, with Harry, knows no bounds! Her creation has been a boon, to those less fortunate, once again! How wonderful that her charitable spirit has taken hold, around the world. JKR’s ‘Harry Potter’ series is a “marvelous work and a wonder”....and so is she!

Avatar Image says:

So how much did digpal pay for it? $50, 000 Pounds?

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s a bit of a pity that it’s not bought by a Harry Potter fan, but an investment guy who just sees it as a safer bet than stocks…

25,000 POUNDS PAID

Avatar Image says:

Just as most of us thought that this would have fetched a higher bid, even the bidder admits this was a bargain. I hope the bidder holds to his word in making more for charity. Its easy to become rather wary of an investment banker’s motives though! But lets be fair, Its his right to do anything he likes with it (I assume it is still a copyright belonging to JKR so he cant publish it) . Absolutely nothing wrong with that and good for him. But I wish Waterstones did narrow the bid to those attending personally to the auction as that would the bidders have more passionate for the item. Then again, that would probably mean it fetching an even lower price so in the end may be “all is well” ;)

Avatar Image says:

here we see again: only one in a hundred interested in HP and only for money making. That´s the summing up of the HP-phenomena.

Avatar Image says:

well, read it dears it´s horribly boring!

Avatar Image says:

Just read the notcard and though it was pretty good. Hopefully JKR will in a year or two sit down and write a real prequel.

Avatar Image says:

I just read the typed version on another fansite.(Couldn’t make out Jo Rowling’s writing) Very enjoyable reading. The only thing is . . . it’s about 500 pages short of a book. Still a good read.

Avatar Image says:

And there I am, making all that effort to type it out in the comments of the previous article… :’-(

Avatar Image says:

That was fun! And good. I hope she thinks about a prequel with them in the future as well. That’s got me itching for more on Sirius and James. Thanks anyway Jo! More Harry story. :)

I read your version, emmy!! Don’t be sad!! Your effort wasn’t wasted!! \o/

Avatar Image says:

Aww, Thio, I like you SO much more than Phoenix1946 now..!! Shucks…

(Ph46, jokey ;-) )

Avatar Image says:

JK clearly has no intentions of writing a prequel, I’m devastated, but that’s her prerogative. On the other hand, there is a plethora of fanfiction out there. I’d like to see JK pick her favourites, have them vetted for continuity and published as official.

Avatar Image says:

LOL, emmy! Yeeeeey!!! Someone likes me!! I kinda lost hope when I asked my mom if she loved me and she replied: ‘neh…’

And why can’t I make cars fly using a drumstick!! What’s the point in taking those drum lessons then?

Avatar Image says:

I loved the story, it was so funny!

Avatar Image says:

ok, totally irrellevant to this article, but: in the Italian Tuscany, they discovered a real life unicorn!! Only it’s not a horse, it’s a deer or a reebok (not sure what the word is in English).

One of these days, I’m telling ya, one of these days Harry Potter will turn up as well..!!

Avatar Image says:

It was hard for me to read her writing. But that might have been because it was really late at night last night!

Avatar Image says:

OK is it me or what? I have gone through the various postcards and I can’t read most of the handwriting. Was able to stumble through JKR’s and enjoyed it but geez, did they all go to medical school before becoming authors???

Avatar Image says:

yeah emmy – im sure harry will turn up!

Avatar Image says:

I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t get any new cannon on the card but it was still interesting to read. As for it being bought by a non-Potter fan- the money goes to charity, we get to read it, why does anyone have a problem with it??

Avatar Image says:

That’s so cool, the buyer has a name that JK would probably use in her books.

Avatar Image says:

Good fun! Wish it had been something a bit more…surprising…but I guess she’s already revealed all she can about the characters and this time, she just wanted to have a little fun!

Avatar Image says:

That is neat to have in mind that they had order of the phoenix t shirts made and of course those two would have the guts to wear them! Wish I knew which death eaters got smashed with the car.

Avatar Image says:

Very fun story, though without giving too much away, I was baffled as to why they would be carrying chicken legs in their back pockets. Though eventually I figured it out.

For those who don’t know, an A5 size card is like standard personal stationary; about 5.8”x8.3”.

Avatar Image says:

my friends and i read it at school, and we gave up on reading it because we couldnt make sense of it! We’re gonna wait till its typed up on the net somehwere…

Avatar Image says:

Now that i’ve read it, the ending makes NO SENSE! Who are the people on brooms?!

Avatar Image says:

I actually thought it was pretty easy to read once I sat down and forced myself. It was difficult to read at first, but the first few lines are the worst. Keep going. It’s a rather good read. However short it may be.

But I think it was rushed quite a bit. Her other handwritten pieces aren’t as messy = )

Avatar Image says:

I definitely enjoyed it, its just i dont understand the random people on brooms crashing into the police car bit?! Who are they?!

Avatar Image says:

I think that’s for us to discuss. Jo couldn’t give us a “water proof” history. It has to have some holes, so we can go crazy on it. Maybe the people were from the Minister, maybe they were Death Eaters… or maybe they were broomstick salesmen…. you know how persistent these guys can be.

I have a feeling, though, that Jo knows exactly everything about that scene. Maybe she will say some more about it in the future… or maybe we will see that in the scottish book.

Avatar Image says:

I could not make out very many of the words :-( does anyone know where I could find it typed out online?

Avatar Image says:

A prequel on the 24 hours before/during/following Godrics Hollow would be an awesome prequel. Might read the card later, good on him for wanting to do more for charity but may be a publicity stunt!

Avatar Image says:

Tara, emmy was nice enough to type it for all of us. Just go to the previous post and click on the page 5 of the comments. The first comment on that page is the typed text.

Have fun!

Avatar Image says:

Any plans to post a typewritten version? I’m having difficulty reading her handwriting. Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

ROFL!!! I loved that description of the heavy-bellied policeman squashing himself between the car and the wall!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oooops! So sorry. I was so anxious to get my hands on a typewritten copy that I posted before I noticed that one had already been kindly provided by Emmy. Anyone know how to delete a post? Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

Chicken legs??? Brooms??? Boy did I miss something – did it continue on a separate page or something?

Avatar Image says:

Secunda, why can’t you for once just say something positive? Those 100 were INVITED by Waterstone’s because they’re rich, not because they’re interested in HP [and before you dispute that, I rang the publicity department of Waterstone’s & someone told me that they were only inviting rich people] and uh… of course it’s about money, it’s an AUCTION.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! Have you seen the H/G pic that has surfaced the net?? Harry’s hugging Ginny in it!! It’s a kind of weird embrace, but anyway… I have been waiting for this forever!! ^^

Avatar Image says:

GUYS GO TO BONNIEWRIGHTONLINE.COM! THERE IS THE FIRST PHOTO OF GINNY AND HARRY HUGGING GO NOW PEEPS!

WOOOOT!!! NEW CANNON!

Dear All

I am great Harry Potter fan and believe I have bought a little piece of history to be passed down for generations to come.

I also think it is a great investment and can hopefully use it to raise more money for charity

I am interested in profiteering from it, it is a priceless piece of literature and I am honored to own it

Cheers Hira

Avatar Image says:

Just read it and I’m so thirsty! Thirsty for more! Haha If only she could change her mind and continue on with the prequel! Brilliant!(=

Dear All

I am NOT interested in profiteering from it, it is a priceless piece of literature and I am honored to own it

Cheers Hira

Avatar Image says:

Hey Hira…. you got your last name wrong.

Avatar Image says:

MovieGal and Scully don’t give me facts on highest grossing films of the year, its the point im making with critics. OOPT did the worst according to critics and that is all that matters. You come here and give me worthless facts on popularity. OOpt did so well in getting the cash rollin in because so many people went in expecting a great film and got a major dissappointment. The Harry Potter series has built up its highly successful film reputation over the years that so many expected OOPT to be good. Thats why it did so welll in the Box office.

Avatar Image says:

I forgot to mention as well to the comment of MovieGal, Spiderman 3, I Am Legend, 300, Alvin and the Chipmunks were all in the top 10 for highest grossing films of 2007. That just goes to show that today society has no taste when it comes to choice of film. No Country For Old Men won Best Motion Picture of the year, but it was no were to be seen on that list.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the double post!

Avatar Image says:

Ed Tom, it is clear you do not rate the film adaptation of OotP and that, as a fan, is your right.

Most of the UK reviews I saw were respectful rather than jubilant but I think that the majority recognise that the fifth book is difficult to adapt as even fans would admit it’s rather long-winded and obfuscating. As I’ve mentioned before, Jo has said that, in hindsight, there are sections of the book she would trim down. I think it boils down to quite a simple story and Michael Goldenberg did a fairly good job in that respect.

Above all, I believe most fans felt that the spirit and essence of the book had been maintained and that, really, is all a film adaptation can aim for.

Half-Blood Prince is a superior book and I’m confident David Yates will deliver the film we all yearn for.

You’re right that a film’s box office total alone is a poor indicator of its quality and you’re also correct that OotP performed well as it came off the back of Mike Newell’s Goblet of Fire, which was very well received critically. On the flipside, I think that Prisoner of Azkaban performed comparatively poorly at the box office because it followed Chris Columbus’ stodgy, overlong and uninspiring Chamber of Secrets.

But, for the record, Alvin and the Chipmunks was not one of the top ten highest grossing films of last year.

Avatar Image says:

@ Ed Tom Firstly, I’ve never claimed box office success equates to a movies quality. Secondly, critics view of a movie has no influence on me ( I make up my own mind ). Thirdly, calm down mate – you’ll give yourself an heart attack.

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s very awesome that that much money was donated to charity… and we STILL get to read the card! It’s the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Great short story! Very much in line with how I imagined James and Sirius back in “the day.” :) I do wish she had plans for an entire sequel, but I’m happy she even gave us this.

Avatar Image says:

Remember: Elvendork! It’s unisex!

Avatar Image says:

I really enjoyed that story! I thought it was a lot of fun, and I liked the way it was told from the perspective of Muggle please-men. Thanks, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Highly disappointed she’s “not” working on the prequel. They would be just as big as this series!!!

Avatar Image says:

sorry guys, this is probably a really stupid question, but I can’t read JKR’s story. It says on Waterstones’ site to click on the Author but nothing happens. Has this happened to anyone else?

Avatar Image says:

na it was no good! written like a child. unisex- that was funny five years ago.

Yeah those hundred rich people were invited because they were rich. yet still-only one out of hundred was intersted in harry potter! The investment guy bought it to make even more money out of it- for charity? who knows. The whole phenomenon was a kind of investment for WB scholastic and bloomsberry.

Avatar Image says:

That was really good! It felt so good to read something new from Jo. I can’t wait until the encyclopedia!!:)

Avatar Image says:

“Asked why the auction had been an invitation-only event, without participation from the general public, Johnson said: ``We felt this was the best way to do it. This was a charity auction. It wasn’t exclusively about making money.’‘

Since when is a charity auction not about “making money?” Does anyone else find this comment strange?

Write a Reply or Comment