Rowling and Radcliffe Make Forbes Celebrity 100 List for 2008

101

Jun 12, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Once again, Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has made Forbes Magazine’s annual listing of The Celebrity 100. Forbes tracks a number of statistics throughout the year, producing this ranking of the most powerful celebrities. Coming in at number nine on the list, J. K. Rowling was ranked behind such names as Oprah Winfery, Tiger Woods, Johnny Depp, and The Police on the 2008 report. Forbes notes the following:

It was wizardry that transformed J.K. Rowling from a destitute single mother on welfare into a best-selling billionaire. Her adventures of teenage magician Harry Potter and his classmates at Hogwarts became a children’s literary sensation in 1998 with the U.S. publication of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. It and the six subsequent books have now sold 375 million copies worldwide. The final one, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, has sold 44 million since it was published last July, including 15 million in the first 24 hours.

Actor Daniel Radcliffe also made the list this year. Forbes ranked him number 64 on their list. Both Rowling and Radcliffe were included in Forbes’ rankings last year.

Thanks to radcakesfan for mailing.

37 Responses to Rowling and Radcliffe Make Forbes Celebrity 100 List for 2008

Way to go JK Rowling and Dan! (Johnny Depp, and Orpah, that’s cool too!) =D

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Though to be honest, I wasn’t all that surprised that those two made the list.

And that is a surprisingly non-scary picture of Dan, always a rarity. He may be intelligent and funny, but photogenic he is not.

Avatar Image says:

congrats JK Rowling and Dan!

Schmergo i do have to agree with you on that, dan is not very photogenic

Avatar Image says:

Wow, imagine being only 18 and on the Forbes 100 list (although I am certain there are also other young stars on the list – haven’t checked yet). And JKR’s story is pretty amazing.

It is a pretty good picture. It’s funny, he isn’t always very photogenic (some of the pictures are pretty awful), but there is something about him that’s just cute (and in that vein – some of his pictures are pretty hot).

Avatar Image says:

Is everyone always photogenic?

Whatever. He’s actually ranked higher this year than last. I can’t image being 18 and on that list. Come to think of it, I’m Rowling’s age and I can’t image being on that list…

Congrats to them!

Avatar Image says:

Wow!Dan is ranked 15 number higher than the past year!!GO DAN!! Congrats to them

Avatar Image says:

Funny, people that say others aren’t photogenic usually aren’t themselves…I think all the trio tend to look good. Cool they’re both listed.

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Dan and JKR. This is not the most significant list in the world but it is a power meter and is maybe used as basis for decision making by some studio executives. And Dan is not the youngest person there. Miley Cyrus tops the teens included in this list even though they both have the same income. She upstaged Emma Watson who was included in this list last year. Of course, she was the most controversial of the teens upstaging even the scandalous LaLohan (who’s not a Teen anymore).

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! But it is pretty sad that the Spice Girls and Miley Cyrus made it on the list of the most powerful people. That’s actually more scary than sad. I agree, Dan is not very photogenic. And I know I’m not.

Avatar Image says:

And what’s being photogenic got to do with this POwer list? This is not about being good looking otherwise Emma Watson will be included here instead of Miley Showcase, eh – Cyrus. It’s amazing how one year of contoversy and media appearances shoved that girl up this list displacing Emma and Hayden Panettieri- # 97 and 98 last year..

BTW, I happen to disagree. Dan is photogenic enough, especially in candid shots. But with the dozens of cameras photographing him from different angles, lighting, and poses, there’s bound to be one or two that’s not good. One example was the pizza eating pic during the Teen VOgue photoshoot. Poor Danny boy was caught with his mouth open pigging out on some pizza. lol

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to Dan and JKR for moving up on this list from their positions last year. And may I say I’m glad Emma is not included on this list this year. That way, the Rupert fans won’t come whining that Rupee is left out of the trio again. lol.

But seriously , the MIley phenomenon is amazing or should I say, Disney phenomenon. Emma barely got in last year and now, she has more Disney stars to contend with.

Avatar Image says:

Bunny, i gotta agree with you on most of what you said , except i LOVED that pizza shot! He looked incredible ie gorgeous even with his mouth full of pizza! I also have to say that Dan is the most photogenic of all the male cast for certain, and that’s gotta go with the older cast as well (sorry Jason!) . Regarding some of his shots, that is because he, like all other actors does wear makeup on the red carpet and the problem lies with hi res cameras and what not that shows up the makeup, unfortunately. It is a very well known problem with the entertainment industry right now that has actors/actresses panicking (that includes Cameron Diaz, whose acne scars show up in those new bigscreen/hi res tvs many people have now.

Also Bunny is correct when she says looks have little to do with this list as this was based on not just earning power but media/radio/tv/mag buzz etc. Dan had more buzz than Zac Efron, to my surprise. Whatever, l gotta respect lists like this from respectable sources.

Avatar Image says:

Well, the pizza pic was kinda cute in a way. Dan’s big blue eyes realy popped out in surprise. lol. And you’re right about the make up, radcakesfan. But thankfully, Dan’s acne seems to have gone. he wears less make up now and is more natural looking in his recent pics. Agree too on the most photogenic HP boy. The camera loves Dan. Even with mouth open. lol

And I’m surprised too that Zac’s rank is below Dan’s. He’s tabloid friendly and I thought he’d have more buzz. That somewhat proved my prediction that Zafron was just a ‘flavor of the month’ and doesn’t have lasting power. Right now, the current Disney flavor is Miley and let’s hope she has more staying power than the HSM cast. But with the way she’s been acting, looks like she’s going Lindsay’s way. Let’s see if she’s still on this list next year. Hopefully, our own Emma will be included now that she has finished school.

Avatar Image says:

Let’s also rejoice, that JKR and Dan (Emma and Rupert even if they’re not in the list) are keeping their feet to the ground.

I am happy that the trio is made up of sensible kids who unlike most of their American counterparts, have managed to stay out of trouble. Really good rolemodels. And JKR who continues with her charitable work.

A toast to you all!

Avatar Image says:

MovieGal and Scully don’t give me facts on highest grossing films of the year, its the point im making with critics. OOPT did the worst according to critics and that is all that matters. You come here and give me worthless facts on popularity. OOpt did so well in getting the cash rollin in because so many people went in expecting a great film and got a major dissappointment. The Harry Potter series has built up its highly successful film reputation over the years that so many expected OOPT to be good. Thats why it did so welll in the Box office.

I forgot to mention as well to the comment of MovieGal, Spiderman 3, I Am Legend, 300, Alvin and the Chipmunks were all in the top 10 for highest grossing films of 2007. That just goes to show that today society has no taste when it comes to choice of film. No Country For Old Men won Best Motion Picture of the year, but it was no were to be seen on that list.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry for the double post.

Avatar Image says:

I wouldn’t mind being last on that list… As long as I’d be on it!! :-P

cool ^^ Check out mugglenet, there is a pic of harry& ginny hugging! =o

@ Ed Tom

The reason that OOTP (not oopt) did so good in the box office has nothing to do with whether it’s good or not. Everyone who went to see it, would have gone to see it even with another director, another producer, editor, whatever. Because it’s Harry Potter!

And another thing: do you trust film critics so much that you let them give you an opinion, instead of making your own mind up? Same with you mentioning the oscars. Because a movie has won one, you just assume they’re all good? I don’t like everything that’s won an oscar, yet lots of people do.

The big success movies may not be your taste (I loved No Country For Old Men, and I’m not interested in ‘I Am Legend’ at all- but then I do like ‘Spider-man’), but saying that the biggest part of the country has no taste… They have a different opinion, and that’s a very different thing.

I thought OOTP was the best so far: most loyal to HP, and finally some good acting by the WHOLE cast.

Avatar Image says:

what is Ed Tom talking about? OOTP was very well received by criticcs, it also won far more awrds than any previous Potter film and was the second highest grossing of the series (after the first film). I personally really liked it and know a lot of people that did too, and thought that they left out a lot of the boring stuff from teh book to make it a slicker, more suspenseful and darker film. Who are you to speak for ALL the fans as if we ALL share your opinion. And you may not be aware, but OOTP also won the Rotten Tomatoes award for best received (ie critically) fantasy/sci fi film of 2007. Just because YOU didn’t like it doesn’t mean other people didn’t. Also – what does your point have to do with the story about the Forbes List?

Avatar Image says:

Emmy, Miriam. Ed Tom is posting exactly the same posts in different unrelated articles. Check the previous article. Double posts, apology for the double post. Its all deliberate. I think he is doing an experiment on muggle reactions! Fascinating stuff.

Now with that out of the way, lets talk about my photogenic looks…oh…then again lets not, not much to talk about there.

Anyone noticed that JK is actually number 1 in the pay ranking on her profile?

Avatar Image says:

Congrats to both of them! They are 2 of my favorite people in all the world. It means a lot of people follow their careers, and it means they have to suffer a lot of press stuff too, so it’s good they deal with it so well. In my opinion (because some of you state your opions as if they were facts, but they are only opinions), both of them are very photogenic, they are good looking people, and good looking people are photogenic most of the time, but no-one can always look good. It seems to me some jealous people say things like that when they read news like this because they feel like they have to say something they think it’s bad. It doesn’t make sense to talk about something like that, out of the blue, when this news is about a powerful celebrities list. So it’s sad to see some people can not feel just happy and positive, sad for them of course, not for the positive people, and not for Jo and Dan, because like I said they have learnt to deal with all kind of stuff. I’m happy for them, Jo came to Harvard this week, Dan will be at the Tonys this week, so they couldn’t be better. :)

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, and well said, Sean! @Ed Tom, emmy, et al: This is an article about a POWER LIST! Not about “which movie was better or what the critics think about said movie” [by the way] It’s about being on a list of very powerful and influential people. Dan and JKR are both that! Dan is making his way in the Entertaiment Field. JKR is a wonder in the Charity field. I think it’s wonderful that they are on the list, as it is not an easy list to get on to! They have certainly earned their place, and will go on [I’m sure] to influence not only Adults, but the young people, who will BE adults [sooner than the world may be aware of] Good for Jo and Dan….that, as has been said, is an important and prestigious list to be on! Well earned!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, and well said, Sean! @Ed Tom, emmy, et al: This is an article about a POWER LIST! Not about “what movie was better or what the critics thought about said movie” [by the way] It’s about being on a list of very powerful and influential people. Dan and JKR are both that! Dan is making his way in the Entertaiment Field. JKR is a wonder in the Charity field. I think it’s wonderful that they are on the list, as it is not an easy list to get on to! They have certainly earned their place, and will go on [I’m sure] to influence not only Adults, but the young people, who will BE adults [sooner than the world may be aware of] Good for Jo and Dan….that, as has been said, is an important and prestigious list to be on! Well earned!

Avatar Image says:

Ed Tom, critically OOTP actually did quite well, many compared it to the other critically acclaimed POA. Makes me wonder what “critics” you’re actually reading- TV Weekly perhaps?

Holy CRAP!

NUMBER NINE!

THAT’S AMAZING

CONGRATS, JO!

Avatar Image says:

Jo is the most powerful person in the world for me, because she has this rare gift of touching people’s lives with a “mere” pen and the beauty of her words..that’s more power than any money she’s earned! She’s been an inspiration to so many out there, it’s great!

And I’m happy for Dan too! It’s great to know that at 18, he’s already on the list of powerful people! Kepp going Dan!!

As for Miley Cyrus upstaging Emma Watson, Emma has more to her credit than Miley, like keeping a firm head on her shoulders despite the humungous fame she achieved at such a young age. And she’s sustained herself to grow up into a very graceful person, which is more than I can say for Miley Cyrus…

Avatar Image says:

That’s awesome that they made the list, well done guys! On a sidenote: anybody know where the HBP movie countdown ticker on the main page went? Did WB ask them to take it down or something?

Avatar Image says:

I happen to agree Ed Tom. OOTP was a mess. Shortest movie, longest book. main Some of the main Characters barely had a line while Dolores Umbridge was featured as the main story line. The movie should have been called the Dolores Umbridge show. Many of the plot points and charm of the book was weeded out for time consideration by a new Director, Yates (his first feature film), a new script adaptor, Goldenberg and newbie Hooper for the music. It was choppy and rushed, and left so much out, I don’rt know how they will be able to put forth the plot points in the next movie. I went to see it, own the DVD but I can only stand to watch the last battle. I skip over Doloes Umbridge. I don’t think it was close to HP canon at all. I am hoping and praying some adjustments have been made for HBP. I am a loyal Harry Potter fan and I couldn’t stand the last movie. It was a mess. Not everyone liked it. Go see the movie critiques on this very web site. I too am glad Dan And JK Rowling made the Forbes list.

Avatar Image says:

“Funny, people that say others aren’t photogenic usually aren’t themselves…”

_ Got me there, Miriam, I always look ridiculous in my pictures. But I was just saying that still photos of Dan don’t tend to do him justice, but that this particular picture of him was a good one. Sorry if I didn’t express that well!

Avatar Image says:

Miley is doing really well though, her last tour brought in 1 billion dollars! She didn’t get to keep all that money though. And she sounds really mature when you listen to her speak.

Not to mention that Emma flashes herself to the British paparazzi! Miley may take some questionable pictures and post them on her myspace, but she would never be caught doing what Emma did!

Avatar Image says:

Are you kidding? Emma was climbing in or out of a car. She was not posing purposely for those papps, unlike Miley who pulls up her top and then purposely snaps a picture of herself and posts it for all the world to see. Her mother apparently has grounded her and for good reason. She’s turning into a junior Paris/lohan. With all the papps following her, it is just a matter of time before they get Miley and a crotch shot.

Avatar Image says:

I happen to agree with the whole Miley thingy. Emma’s profile is better than hers. Heck, even Hayden Panittiere’s achievements are better. But maybe Miley will also go Zac’s way. Just a flavor of the month type of celebrity. But if she’s stil on this list next year- maybe Hollywood is doomed.

And why are we still talking about photogenic celebrities? THis list is a power list and IMO, they shouldn’t have included the sports guys. Unfair disadvantage because they’re always on the news (even legitimate ones) and having the pick of endorsements. Not many actors endorse products, except for the really hungry ones.

Avatar Image says:

cong dan,rowling,keira and johnny. dan is photogenic then zac.look details magazine.dan looks natural but zac unnatural.

Avatar Image says:

No, I don’t think I was kidding. How could you go out and buy transparent underwear and not expect to flash yourself in a short dress (to whoever is trying to look – isn’t that what all guys try to do when they see a girl in a short skirt? Some more obvious than others anyways). I think those types of underwear are only supposed to be for the bedroom (how functional can they be?)

I think Miley posted those pics because she wanted to be seen as older and more mature, which equals cool at that age. Like Dan doing a nude play, because he wants to be seen as more mature. Kids find nuditiy offensive, grownups find them interesting and entertaining. I don’t see Miley flashing herself unless all the fame stopped and she’s starved for attention. Like Britney Spears. Which is kind of mental because it is a given fact that no star who is hot at the moment would court the paparrazi. Those photos usually end up in tabloids, which likes to write trash about you, and means more work for the publicist who has to repair your image.

Avatar Image says:

The “billionaire” part is irrelavent in my mind for the ranking…The fact that she brainstormed and penned a classic of literature, should make her immortal in itself….....how many have tried? how many have failed…? It takes a talent that only comes once in 100 yrs to do what JKR has done…I am in awe…even if she never earned a cent from the works, she would be up there with Aristotle and the great greek playwrights in my book, adjusted for modern times. Jo, you have captured classical themes and made them relavent for current times, something that every teacher strives to do, but most fail…a fan FOREVER!

Avatar Image says:

Lindsey Lohan was courting the papparazzi while she was considered hot a couple of years back. She said she felt ignored unless she was in the press. Then you have legitimate or perhaps Sane stars like Chalize Theron who do not court the press/papps . Miley’s parents are trying to rein her in because taking the kind of pictures she has and which have been posted on the net is not considered respectable by any means. If she keeps going the way she is, yeah, she’d be going the way of blohan and parasite hilton. Emma wanting to wear nice underwear (which can be very comfy even if it is slightly see though) cannot be said to be doing the same.

Write a Reply or Comment