Dan Radcliffe, Richard Griffiths Attend Tony Awards Tonight in NYC

266

Jun 15, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The red carpet arrivals are well underway in New York city for the Tony Awards, with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) making comments to the press upon his arrival tonight. As reported previously, both Dan and actor Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon) will be presenting an award during the ceremony tonight, and you can see some early photos of Mr. Griffiths here in our galleries as well as Dan Radcliffe, here and much more starting here. UPDATE: The AP has a photo of Dan online here, and Getty Images now additional photos online via this link.. Dan Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths are set to reprise their roles in the play “Equus” this September on Broadway, with Dan remarking he may take some singing lessons this week while in New York. The Tony Awards will be broadcast shortly on CBS television starting at 8:00pm, with online coverage ongoing via this link. UPDATE 2 The show has now concluded, with Dan and Richard presenting the award for Best Play (including a brief joke from Mr. Griffiths after receiving a spot of help from Dan with the sticker on the envelope being ‘just like magic.’ Indeed! ) You can see this video now online via YouTube, courtesy of our friends at The Daily Snitcher.

46 Responses to Dan Radcliffe, Richard Griffiths Attend Tony Awards Tonight in NYC

Avatar Image says:

I’m so freaking pumped! Musical theatre and dan and griffiths, it’s prefect!

Photo of Dan at: http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/news/galleries/top50.html

He looked great on the red carpet – definitely growing up. Although he still gives a little too much in his interviews. LOL.

Avatar Image says:

Here there is a video of the interview at the red carpet: youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2sdAScIPY

Dan is gorgeous, and Richard looks thinner and happy. :) Marypao, he doesn’t give too much, what happens is that others give too little. ;) Dan just talked about Equus and the Broadway plays he wants to see. It was very funny because when the reporter was interviewing Laura Linney, she was just looking at Dan and she kind of ignored the interviewed at the beginning. :D

Avatar Image says:

Dan and Richard are sitting in the front row, so everytime someone win an award we can see them! Loved his smile after the Lion King performance! Thanks marypao, but I think that pic is from one HP premiere. :) Whoopi is wearing a very strange…thing…???

Avatar Image says:

WOW…. he is looking very good and handsome!!! Must be Bonnie???? hahahahaha….

Avatar Image says:

My friend and I were at Radio City earlier to see if we could see Daniel & Richard Griffiths – and we did! The last time I saw Dan was for the premiere of Prisoner of Azkaban. He took two steps toward the crowd, a terrified smile frozen on his face, and then slowly backed away. We thought, ‘poor thing!’

This time though, he jumped right out of his SUV and went straight to us plebes to shake hands (or something – he went the opposite direction from where we were standing! LOL!) What a difference. Dan is so much more at ease. Very cool. _

Avatar Image says:

I was wondering why his shirt and tie were different. :) Strange that the Tony web people would include that with their other photos taken today.

Avatar Image says:

Ouch! Lose the haircut, Dan.

Avatar Image says:

That’s great gaminette! I watched the livestream video on Tonys site, there was so much people there! He certainly looked more mature!

The camera loves this boy! Everytime someone performs they show us a wonderful shot of Daniel. And they keep announcing him, I don’t know how many times they have already said his time… but I guess they are keeping him to the end.

Avatar Image says:

Colleen,the haircut is good,not too short hair and not too long hair,he looks like a guy of 18,he can’t looks always like Harry.I think he is gorgeous.

Avatar Image says:

I went down to Radio City, as well. it’s great to hear the screams for him. He stopped to sign for a few people which was great. :)

Avatar Image says:

He looked fine on video. It’s just the stills that his hair looks too short.

Avatar Image says:

Dan and Richard were just on to present the award for Best Play. They were soon lost in the crowd from the winning play.

Avatar Image says:

Bea – when I said that “Dan gives too much” in his interview I was referring to his comment about going to see “Sunday in the Park with George” this coming Wednesday. Although he didn’t say if he was attending the mattinee or the evening show (probably evening show) I would be surprised if there weren’t a bunch of fans waiting for him.

Avatar Image says:

wow They presented Best Play!!! That’s a big honor!! They did great. Dan has such a beutiful face, and he is taller. In the Equus pics the height difference between them was bigger.

-marypao, I imagined you were referring to that. :) But I don’t think it’s big deal, Dan has a lot of experience dealing with huge crowds of fans! He helped doing pulicity for that play, which is a very generous thing. Think about all the tickets they will sell for that day! ;)

Avatar Image says:

I imagine that show will sell out now lol!

Avatar Image says:

I’m shocked that NO ONE has mentioned the fact that Richard Griffiths gave a little wind and nod to every Harry Potter fan.

It was just “like magic” moment of I can borrow Mr. Griffiths words.

I

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, Monica, he did indeed :)

Avatar Image says:

But I don’t think it was a wink, it was the HP joke of the presentation… I was hoping no-one would do a HP reference because these is about theatre, not HP, but Richard did. I guess it’s just his script, and he had to say it. At least it was a cute reference.

Avatar Image says:

No comments about wands (praise be!).

Avatar Image says:

Personally, I was glad the announcers didn’t make any mention of HP when Richard and Dan came out. He’s coming to Broadway as a legitimate London stage actor, so that’s how he should be seen by the theater community there, I think.

But the magic joke was still kind of cute—and so was Dan’s reaction to it. :)

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me or is Dan sporting that beard again? He does look a little older and taller in these pics. and also thinner?

Avatar Image says:

Opps, I forgot to do a spell check and I really hope that people do know that I meant wink and not wind.

When Kristen Chenoweth presented her commend on defying gravity felt scripted, but I didn’t get that feeling for Richard comment after Dan took off the sticker that held the folder with the winner closed.

Avatar Image says:

I swear that I can spell. I shouldn’t post when I should be sleeping.

Avatar Image says:

Dan’s wearing way too much makeup, as usual.

Avatar Image says:

pictures don’t make justice to this guy, the light flashes make him way too paly, the video really shows how handsome and gorgeous he looks and in person wow I cannot wait to see Equus.

Avatar Image says:

Picture 12 from the Leaky Galleries shows Dan growing his beard, presumably for Equus, and the hair is probably re-styled in preparation for that show as well. He has a life outside of Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

What a great honor for Dan! He’s making a name for himself in theater while Emma is making a name for herself in fashion. So much for stereotyping. These kids are going to be bigger when they finish doing the HP series.

Avatar Image says:

yes me to no comment about wands :s

Avatar Image says:

Daniel and Richard were a class act and I only wish I was able to see them in person. They do their fans proud. I think Richard’s remark about magic was off the cuff and it was well received by the audience. They do work so well together don’t they? :D

Avatar Image says:

He looks much older,thats true. he’s still cute…but damn, I’m I the only one who doesn’t like his hair!? it’s to short. I want his hair like in POA. yum. he has big jaw so he needs more hair. besides where is our Harry?

Avatar Image says:

Matea, where is our Harry? His name isn’t Harry Potter and he wasn’t there to promote HP.

He has his Equus hair, I’d say.

Avatar Image says:

@bebe- I didn’t mean it like that! lol. what I meant to say that Harry has lots of bushy black hair, and Dan doesn’t. I respect Dan as an actor.not only because of HP.and I know his name is Daniel Radcliffe.lol.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry Matea, but your follow-up post makes no sense either. He’s finished filming Harry and he cut his hair for his next project. So the hair is neither black nor messy, so what?

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Dan’s voice sounds so much more mature in this video (but he could also have a cold). I hope it stays that deep! lol :) Ohh Dan.. So handsome!

Avatar Image says:

Hey gaminette, can you tell us a bit more about teh POA redcarpet event? After he backed away, what happened? I read that he had been visibly shaking- that really true? I also read he wasn’t allowed near the crowds or to sign autographs during one of the openings- not sure if it was this one or not. Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I think that “magic” comment was spontaneous judging by the reactions. They did a great job with that, I love Dan’s voice. Yes, he looks a bit washed out in the still photos, except the one where he is sitting in the chair. He looks so much more natural and relaxed (and cute) in the videos – especially the red carpet interview: www.youtube.com/watch?v=laL81Xn32ic

Avatar Image says:

saw it. was mad though because i waited till the last hour to see them, but happy about the award they presented. lol on the magic joke too. HP plus Broadway= Fabulous!

Avatar Image says:

yeah, the “just like magic” joke was definitly unscripted. He said that when Dan took that sticker away. You could tell by the way Dan laughed at it! LOL. I half expected Dan to reply “sorry Uncle Vernon”.

They both looked great. I was also glad that their intro only included their upcoming Equus gig, and not HP. It was nice.

unrelated ps: I LOVED the Rent tribute with the current cast and the original cast. I only wished they could have done a full rendering of “Seasons of Love”, but it was great anyway.

Avatar Image says:

I was just a little ticked that, when the playwright of “August: Osage County” received the “Best Play” from Dan and Richard’s hands, the writer went on in his acceptance speech to say what a pleasure it was to “work with THEATRE actors” in his play. (His emphasis.) Was that a dig at the TV and film actors present - and, in particular, Dan - who choose to go on the stage?

As a former actor, I find that remark ungracious (If Dan and other film/TV actors present at the Tonys were being slammed) and a disservice to all actors who prefer to go back and forth between film, TV and theatre. While many of us consider the theatre a temple from which you draw inspiration, the electronic dramatic arts and actors trained in that medium are a well-respected art form as well. Get over your Steppenwolf snobbery, man!

Avatar Image says:

Judy – I agree. Although I believe his remarks were insulting to a lot of people in the autdience, I read somewhere that it may have been partly focused on the “Grease” company which used a reality show to cast the leads. Just very tacky considering how many “movie stars” are also theater stars.

Avatar Image says:

Judy – I also wondered what he meant by that. It did sound a bit snobbish, and even if he did mean the Grease show, there were many in the audience that are also film and t.v. actors, and it wasn’t really clear about whom he was speaking. And what about people like Laurence Fishburne and Laura Linney, who may have started in Theater, but have since done many more film and t.v. roles – are they considered o.k. since they started on stage?

“As if by magic!” Niiiiice… Richard Griffiths is awesome! hah:D

Avatar Image says:

Erm, i don’t think Dan will let that bother him . To be specific, the playwright applauded the producers for allowing him to bring his original “no name” cast to Broadway. There are tons of starving actors out there, and to get to headline a broadway or west end play is the dream. I’m sure he feels loyalty toward those who have worked so hard on it with him for so long. There’s also a huge ruckus in the Westend because some guy’s production isn’t wanted by anybody in the westend because he has no big name in it. Dan’s production in particular is only wanted and was only accepted originally by the writer because Dan is in it . It’s very common to get a big name because the truth is, it does help draw the crowds. Mind the subject matter counts too- everybody wants to go to musicals, and straight plays are being driven out. Hopefully Equus will do well.

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, also it would have applied to so many actors there including brook Shields . Everybody there I think is pretty much respected , which was they were invited to be part of the presentation. They worked on their craft, which is what Dan is doing now.

Avatar Image says:

Had to love the in-jokes, such as their walking onstage to Dick Rogers’ “I Could Write a Book.” And when Griffiths had a bit of tape stuck to his finger, Dan pulled it off, Griffiths, when he noticed it was gone, said, “As if by magic…”—the audience liked that one.

Write a Reply or Comment