Emma As Rep for Chanel Rumor Apparently False

282

Jun 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The rumor about actress Emma Watson becoming a spokesperson for Chanel is false, although you will NOT hear that officially from the legendary couture house. Readers will recall that several days ago, a report published originally in UK tabloid The Daily Mail claimed that the Hermione Granger actress would become “new face of the Chanel fragrance Coco Mademoiselle’ and had “signed a two-year contract worth £3million with the French fashion house to promote the brand.”

This story was picked up by media worldwide, and the only report of a denial was found in one small story via Eonline which said the claim was “just a rumor”: “It’s false.” Today the LA Times blog has more on why this apparent denial of this rumor was not sent out immediately to counter the global press coverage. The blog cites an unnamed New York spokesperson for Chanel as saying “We’re not allowed to make statements when the reports are not true,” then continued to say “It’s the company’s policy not to make a statement if the report is not true.For instance, when Audrey Tautou’s contract was leaked to the press, we issued a statement because it was true, she was being put under contract.”

The LA Times blog then has this quote from the Chanel spokesperson, who says the house will NOT issue a written denial . “We are only allowed to speak to reporters about this. We cannot widely release a statement that the report isn’t true.” Even the Chanel spokesman’s name may not be used due to yet another strange set of corporate rules. “I cannot be quoted. Just say company spokesman,” she explained.

Most curious indeed. So as it would seem the report of Emma Watson becoming a spokesperson for Chanel is indeed false, we are working to get more detailed response from reps from the actress. More when we get it!

44 Responses to Emma As Rep for Chanel Rumor Apparently False

Avatar Image says:

That’s too bad the story is wrong. She would be quite perfect to represent a younger line of products for Chanel. Emma is a lovely, pretty and poised young woman – they’d be lucky to have her.

Avatar Image says:

due to the wide spread gossip of this it wont be long till some form of fashion house strikes a deal with her

Avatar Image says:

I agree with kiwi, I think a designer could throw her a deal fairly soon. She’s too young to market for Chanel, the target audience isn’t old enough to buy Chanel products and they don’t do a “young” line.

Hopefully she’ll manage to stand properly when having pictures taken of her! She’s always got the worst posture in the pics she has taken at events.

@miriam

I’ve not noticed her posture before will have to pay attention.

Avatar Image says:

Let’s hear it for the world media… Pfffffpt. (How does one spell a ‘raspberry’?) They apparently got it wrong—again.

As for Emma’s posture for pics, it’s like she doesn’t know what to do with her hands and feet. Only the studio pics are well posed. (But I love her anyway.)

OMT

Avatar Image says:

Oh.. thats to bad, she’ll make it.

Avatar Image says:

is this thing broken again?

Avatar Image says:

I guess not, anyways….I knew it wasn’t true.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t really care about her posture! It just shows that she is human like everybody else. I have not heard of Chanel before this so I don’t really see the effect it would have on me.

Avatar Image says:

thank goodness she just was not right for any HIGH fashion house…does ot have to looks for it. as for her posture its terrible and its not just when she is posing at premiers she is like that all the time!!! NO fashion house wants a model with such a bad posture and the fact she is only internationally known as a hp actor and thats it….and she is a pretty crap one too she acts with her eyebrows all the time they move too much.

weird…

Avatar Image says:

sorry bout that… you have never heard of Chanel before??? where the hell have you been for the past 50 something years???

Avatar Image says:

Actually, the rumor was for for her to rep the Coco Mademoiselle fragrance, which is aimed at a younger demographic.

Kiera Knightly was the “face” of Coco Mademoiselle in 2007and prior to that, it was Kate Moss.

@ anne,

I’m just wondering. Do you think if you sat down and though about it for a minute or two, you might actually find something you LIKE about Emma Watson??...Naahhh!

to Matt’s Girl

Emma Watson annoys me. trust me i have tried to find something that i like about her but i havent been able to yet. ive never liked her since the begining of harry…she just was not hermione to me, not the way i imagined her to be.

sorry emma fans…..she just bugs me

Avatar Image says:

aw,that’s too bad, i mean i’m not a huge fan of Emma’s acting, but she is very pretty and i LOVE her clothes.

Avatar Image says:

@anne: “where the hell have you been for the past 50 something years???”

The first thing I thought was along those lines. :) It seems odd that someone could never have even slightly heard the name before. I’ve passed magazines, stores, bus ads and the like emblazoned with the name and logo. Not to mention that annoying way-too-long Nicole Kidman commercial (which, oddly enough, I’m pretty sure I saw for the first time while in line to buy my POA dvd a few years ago).

hugs Nifflergold Go out into the sun, my child. :) It’s so pretty out there.

Avatar Image says:

Every time Leaky posts a story about Emma Watson, the same old trolls post the same old vitriol.

Avatar Image says:

Weird One, you’ve touched on the point I want to make. For all those who are so critical of Emma I do hope that they are so beautiful and poised that they can stand up to the same scrutiny by which they so readily judge Emma.

And actually, when I watch people on TV or anywhere else, my eyes are usually focused on their eyes. So maybe some of you need to look elsewhere.

As for the rumor, which after all is the point of this story, it sounds to me like Chanel is in serious need of a policy change where rumors are concerned. That just seems silly that no one has the authority to squelch a false rumor. Are none of them willing to speak up? Good grief.

Avatar Image says:

@ Eeyore, I agree with you completely.

Chanel’s policy is very strange to me as well. And the personal attacks against Emma Watson that appear so often on Leaky – they’re even stranger.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I totally agree with Weird One and Eeyore, she’s just a young girl, I’d like to see you at her place! And I donÅ¥ think she’s not beutiful or ordinary, but she’s too young to work for Chanel.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know about whether Emma is “pretty enough” or whatever, but I don’t think the High Fashion industry deserves a smart young woman like her. That industry as a whole does girls and women more harm than good, and my young daughter is better off if her beloved Hermione (or the acting version) is not promoting such rubbish.

You’re welcome.

Avatar Image says:

I like Kiera, but Emma Watson is HOT!

Avatar Image says:

Chanel write us to said that these rumor is totally unfounded UHP staff

Avatar Image says:

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I have to admit I’m pretty disappointed this particular rumor is not true. I love Emma and I love Chanel so naturally the idea of her doing any kind of campaign for them whether it be fragrance, cosmetics, couture, ready-to-wear, or otherwise, would be exciting. But oh well, I honestly can’t say I’d be suprised if they do end up using her in a future campaign so I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with bella vita. I was excited for this, too bad it’s not true. I don’t understand at all why a lot of you dislike her either! But it’s only a matter of time before someone else signs her on, if Chanel doesn’t end up doing it.

Avatar Image says:

honestly its no surprise the rumors are false chanel targets older people and even if it is to prompt coco emma is to young trust me on this im 15 years old and no one our age is going to spend 100-140 dollars on perfume which means that there going to need someone who appleas more to young adults plus chanel is high fashion and emmas face doesnt look high fashion dont get me wrong im not saying she ugly but she doesnt fit the role i mean have you seen the ads? they want someone whos a flirt, and is known for taking on sexy to semi- sexy roles and clearly emma hasnt had any of those roles does anyone understand what im saying?

Avatar Image says:

That rumor isnt new. I remember reading The Mail online..the day I went to go see OOTP….that she was going to be the next face of Chanel…..so they’ve been running with this for a while now. Its too bad….I think she would have been perfect.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve noticed that people were commenting on Emma’s posture. Actually, if you look at mags like Harper’s Bazaar, the models pose like that with their backs hunched like that.

In fact, I remember on Top Model once when the models were posing for high fashion, they all took that stance.

I’ve always thought she was just positioning herself like that on purpose, cause that’s how the models do in those mags. shrugs Who knows….

Good.

Avatar Image says:

Emma’s great and all that, but I knew the rumor was untrue from the start. It just didn’t fit. I know she wears Chanel all the time, but her getting a deal with the house seemed out of place and still does. Maybe in the future once she’s a bit older, but now it’s just weird. I’m sure they’ll take her after some more projects. They already love her.

Avatar Image says:

The Daily Mail has always been regarded as one of the worst sources when it comes to Emma. They started this rumor last year and nothing came of it. It didn’t surprise me when it turned out to be fake.

But yeah every time a story comes up on here about Emma, there are users who just whine and complain about her. As an Emma fan, it annoys me to no end.

@ KS987, I agree.

Leaky has more than its share of posters who delight in bashing Emma Watson. Their dislike for her has gone far beyond whatever low opinion they have of her acting ability. Their attacks are almost entirely personal. She’s just not the way they “imagined” Hermione to be. How dare she have blonde hair?? And why isn’t it bushier?? Some of them would have Emma demand that WB transform her into their idea of Hermione. Never mind that most HP movie fans are perfectly OK with Emma’s looks and never mind that, other than quitting, Emma can do nothing to please these people anyway.

And now with this Chanel rumor apparently debunked, some declare that Emma’s looks were unsuitable and her posture unforgivable anyway. They cannot understand why Chanel would ever have considered this girl as a spokesperson. My goodness, Coco Chanel must be spinning in her grave!!!!!

Why do these Emma bashers have such antipathy for someone they know so little about and whose public persona (like Dan & Rupert’s) is very commendable?? It’s really pretty sad.

Avatar Image says:

She has plenty of time to model for Chanel—they usually have both a model who gets to open and close the show AND some kind of celebrity endorsement going on, and they change the girls every season. I think she’d be in the celeb category rather than runway because they already have the next one lined up for runway. The collection for fall looks very Amy Winehouse-inspired to me and that would not be a good image for Emma right now with the two HP movies still to come. She may get a collection designed just for her, inspired by HP. Lagerfeld is always looking for ideas…

@Iolanthe

An Amy Winehouse collection by Chanel, the mind boggles. I’m definately of a different generation. I think Chanel and I get beautiful tailored suits and pretty dresses. I like Amy Winehouse but agree she’s a little too edgy for Emma Watson’s sweet look.

Avatar Image says:

the rumour is nt entirely 100% false…after all emma did model for chanel indirectly at her premieres etc…and she is chanel ambassador,getting invited-chanel events etc…the thing is,she’s not a chanel model..tht’s all…

Avatar Image says:

I for one would not like to see Emma follow in the footsteps of Keira Knightly and Kate Moss, two girls who desperately need a hot fudge sundae once in a while (and need to keep it down).

Avatar Image says:

Oh, good. I definitely cannot see Emma being a spokesperson for Chanel! She’s a very pretty girl and a good enough actress, but she’s not haute couture. Keira Knightley for Chanel, that worked. Emma… not so much. And to whoever suggested an HP-inspired Chanel collection? I shudder, I really do. I’m an obsessive Harry Potter fan like the rest of us, but there’s nothing high fashion about it! Lagerfeld’s genius enough to get an idea from something that’s REALLY haute ;)

Avatar Image says:

Good for Chanel not to succumb to public pressure and hire Ms. Watson who is definitely not a model cum haute couture figure. Not much appeal there except to HP fans who like to see her as overachieveing Hermione. IN terms of beauty, posture, appeal and acting talent , Keira Knightley outshines Watson by a mile.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t think the Chanel rumor was true. I don’t think now is a good time as she is still involved in HP and Warner Brothers is interested in protecting the Harry Potter brand. If she did an add now it would be very G rated and not at all the sexy French couture brand everyone knows. Can you see Emma being allowed to pose without a top like Keira? It would be Miley Cyrus all over again!

Avatar Image says:

None of Emma’s fans can afford Chanel. The face of Chanel needs to appeal to the people who actually buy their products, who the majority of the time would be successful women in at least their 20s. Not 8 year old girls! I don’t know many women who would want to buy a perfume when the face of it is someone their daughter idolizes.

Avatar Image says:

THIS IS TRUE: Emma has beaten out Keira Knightly as the new face of Chanel’s Coco Mademoiselle and has signed the contract. She is not the face of Chanel itself but is going to be the face of its perfume and I think she will be really good.

Avatar Image says:

I actually thought this rumour more believable than the mini movie one.

I just wanted to point out that the ‘anne’ who posted the negative remarks earlier is not the same person who has posted under that name, with lower case ‘a’ for the past 18 months, i.e. me! I have not posted on here since the news a few weeks ago about the stabbing. I am going to have to change my name to avoid being confused with others!

Write a Reply or Comment