Harry Potter Prequel Receives Over 70,000 Visitors During First 20 Hours Online

112

Jun 19, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

As readers will remember, Waterstones.com released the 800-word Harry Potter prequel written by J. K. Rowling online after the work was sold at a charity auction for £25,000 ($48,855) early last week. Utalkmarketing.com is now reporting that over 70,000 people visited the website during the first 20 hours the prequel featuring James Potter and Sirius Black was online. The story also notes that nearly 4000 story cards have been sent in as part of the “What’s Your Story?” contest to date. Those who have not read the prequel can do so right here, or via this non-flash version here.

This card was part of the National Year of Reading event by Waterstone’s, which featured 13 cards containing stories from such authors as Neil Gaiman, Doris Lessing, Margaret Atwood, and Irvine Welsh among others. The card written by J. K. Rowling was bought by a Toyko-based business owner who wishes to use this “piece of literary history” to continue charitable fund-raising. The complete collection of 13 cards will be published along with the winners of the Waterstone’s “What’s Your Story?” competition in a special book on August 7th. Proceeds from this book will benefit the English Pen and Dyslexia Action charities in the UK. This book is currently available for pre-order via the this link.

28 Responses to Harry Potter Prequel Receives Over 70,000 Visitors During First 20 Hours Online

Avatar Image says:

Amazing. Telling, too. The desire for more HP canon is as strong as it ever was.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. It’s still going up for auction again. Well good luck to the people who bid on it. First 2 Post.

Avatar Image says:

FIrst?! go jk and her prequal. 70,000?!

Avatar Image says:

damn not first. BUT STILL 70,000?!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! It would be really interesting to know how many people read the other authors’ card in the first 20 hours… just to show how much more popular Jo is xD

Seriously though, I have looked at a couple of other cards and although I thought they were good, they do not even compare with Jo’s story.

Avatar Image says:

Hmm. I wish I could read this but I simply cant. I love the Harry Potter Series and I love everything about the Magical World. I know that this would be a very good prequel and i would greatly appreciate someone who could type out this handwritten prequel and post it again but I know that it would be very hard to because of all the copywritting stuff but….. Well I’ll go now

Avatar Image says:

anyone know where a text version of the prequel is? I find it hard to read that

Avatar Image says:

For people who have trouble reading the handwriting: Here are two bits of info that may be helpful.

1) As is now widely known, the story contains the phrase “layabout boyfriend” and the name “Elvendork.”

2) Google is your friend.

Not that I’m condoning anything inappropriate, mind you. ;)

Avatar Image says:

I loved the prequel, james was so funny, except neil gaiman´s story which was really funny, the other were boring, and if you think jo writing is bad ( i found it quite normal except a few words) you should check some of the others!

Avatar Image says:

Just adding a bit of advice for those seeking a typed copy… a lot of the typed copies have typos, so it might be a good idea to have a window with the original handwritten card at the ready, for comparison. For example, if you find a typed version that says “timeless”, that word should really be “tuneless”, and if you see the phrase ”...did as they were told, finally pulling free from the…” that comma should be a full-stop, with “Finally” being the first word of a new sentence.

Avatar Image says:

wow, that is really impressive. i wonder how many visitors the other authors’ cards got?

i need to re-read it because J.K.Rowling’s handwriting is a little difficult to read but it does make you pay more attention. ;)

Avatar Image says:

wow, that is amazing…70k, less than a day…crazy…

Avatar Image says:

I can’t read the handwriting, could somebody take the effort to type it on the computer? It would be a lot easier to read! Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

12 of those 70,000 was me re-reading :) But Gaiman’s was certainly the most enjoyable out of the rest (excellent ending) and I have to say most of the others were rather peculiar or flat. There was one card that was done as a comic strip but done as teaser to a full length graphic novel. Jo’s was by far the best!

Avatar Image says:

70.000 in the whole world? I have to say, I thought it would have been more… :-)

@ Sam

If you’re talking about Jo’s writing, look in the history of Leaky’s articles: it’s been translated in comments on a news flash on that.

Avatar Image says:

I’m confused. The link led me to a story about characters named “Fischer” and “Anderson” not James and Sirius! Is there a more direct link?

Avatar Image says:

It’s interesting, but t I think it’s worth pointing out that Firefox 3 got 8 million downloads just a few days later in only four more hours. I’m not saying 70k is nothing (especially since Mozilla was trying to hit a huge number), but it’s certainly picked a long shadow to stand in.

Avatar Image says:

I am proud to say that I am one of the 70000 who rushed to read the card. I am definitly not surprised that so many people visited. It was a tid bit we couldn’t resist!!

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! It reminded me of the opening chapters of PS and HBP where we see a bit of the wizarding world from the muggle perspective. I have always loved the chapters where worlds collided!

Avatar Image says:

Lee—The story involves James and Sirius being chased by policemen, who are named Fischer and Anderson. So that is the correct link.

Sam—If you use the flash version, you can right-click and zoom in to double the size of the picture. That’s what I did; otherwise, I wouldn’t have been able to read what she wrote.

I have to say I’m one of the 70,000 people who also read the card when it came out on midnight! Wahoo! So how many people here are going to order a copy? =)

Avatar Image says:

No doubt that Jo made the best use of her card: great that after resisting temptation for so long, she finally gave in and did the ‘seriously black’ joke.

Of the others, I liked Neil Gaiman’s subtlety and the gentle Irish lilt of Richard Ford, but especially enjoyed Tom Stoppard’s Idiomatic farm.

Avatar Image says:

Well, Jo can certainly still pack em in. As for the handwriting I always think its hard to read the first time but after that its a piece of cake, I just reread it there and I didn’t have to stop once. I love her handwriting, its like an old friend :D

Avatar Image says:

Very impressive JK! I just tried to read a few other stories but like JKR’s they are illegible.

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic to read! Enjoyed that so much :) I think, what you have to keep in mind when reading the other stories, is that JK’s one is based on something that is so much bigger than just this small piece of writing. Whereas the others don’t have that sort of background, and are much more likely to not be able to reach the same depth in such a small story…

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t really understand the end… who were the three man arriving on broomsticks? Pleas help…^^

Avatar Image says:

I can’t read her handwriting. is there a typed version?

Avatar Image says: I'm trying really hard to read it right now, is it no longer available?

Write a Reply or Comment