Celebrate the Summer Solstice with the Dursleys!

115

Jun 20, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Ahh sweet Summer! Depending on where you live, summer begins later today here in the US (or tomorrow for others), and the Summer Solstice means one thing to us here in the Harry Potter world: a summer spent with the Dursleys! While there is no new Harry Potter due out this weekend alas (five years ago on June 21 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was released!), you can relive those summers of Potter years past by playing the newest quiz on Scholastic.com as they have now launched the “What Harry Did On His Summer Vacation” quiz. Be sure to check out the many other quizzes available on the US Potter publishers website, including quizzes about our favorite Hogwarts gamekeeper Hagrid, and many more.

Also if you are so inclined, feel free to leave a comment here, or head on over to our Pensieve Parlor section of the Leaky Lounge forum to relive your experience on that OotP publication day.

36 Responses to Celebrate the Summer Solstice with the Dursleys!

Avatar Image says:

oh how I remember my first midnight release, standing in line waiting for ootp…I miss those days when we could keep speculating :-\

Avatar Image says:

Eish, it’s hard to believe it was 5 years ago! The excitement leading up to OotP was the most intense of all the Harry Potter releases – perhaps because the wait was long, perhaps because the HP ‘experienced’ changed dramatically between the release of GoF and the release of OotP – the first two films had been released and the HP ‘phenomenon’ was ballooning. Whenever I think of Harry Potter, I still think of it as divided into the era ending with GoF, and beginning with OotP.

Avatar Image says:

Where it says HP ‘experienced’, read ‘experience’ – sorry, goblins in the system

Avatar Image says:

OOTP was the first Harry Potter book that I went to a midnight release for. I had gotten on the HP Bandwagon a little late and had gotten the first four books in hard cover for Christmas.

Having read all four in a row, I was so anxious to read the fifth book. It felt like forever between that Chrismas and the release. I remember how excited I was. I was working the late shift at my job and left a half hour early so I woudln’t be late.

I remember getting to the bookstore and being sorted, having my first taste of Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans and the pure awe I felt when I saw them wheel out the books.

It’s the only time I’ve stayed up for twenty four hours. I got my book and started reading and before I knew it, it was six o’clock in the morning and I was already a few hundred pages in.

I don’t think anything can compare to that for me. I wasn’t able to do midnight releases for books six and seven, so OOTP will always hold a special place in my heart.

I can’t believe it’s already been five years! Where did the time go? Ah, memoiries…where is a penseive when you need one?

Avatar Image says:

longliveRemus, I agree! I’ll never forget the summer of ‘03 – OOTP’s my favourite book (alongside DH)

And I remember Scholastic released the cover art? Or a brief synopsis of the book a few days before the release. I really miss HP summers!

Avatar Image says:

Oh gosh, I recall working alll day of the Phoenix release but running up to the shops on my break at 9am (I’m in Australia) to get a copy for me and then when I got back to work my manager paid me to go and get him a copy as well!!! It was torture waiting till I finished at 4 to read it though I can tell you that!!!

Avatar Image says:

Who’s the retard who wrote this? It’s the winter solstice in the Southern hemisphere.

Avatar Image says:

I look back at our first Midnight Magic party and cannot believe it was 5 years ago!! We had such a wonderful time and it was the best! The bookstore had set up everything to entertain the kids, including sending an owl, making magic wands, and they even had butterbeer, chocolate frogs, and cauldron cakes!!! It was so much fun for the whole family. We decided then to go to the midnight release events for books 6 &7. The memories of these events are some of our fondest family events. I hope that my kids remember these times and tell their kids how they couldn’t wait for these books to come out and how we waited in line for hours just to get them. By the way, we are also fans of Jim Dale reading the books. He is absoulutely amazing. There is nothing better than listening to him bring the stories to life when you hear them for the first time. What a wonderful gift Jo has given us.

Avatar Image says:

I was staying with my friend so i made her drive me in to the nearest shop so i could by it and i was going out that day so i read it nonstop in the car and whenever i got a chance.

Avatar Image says:

Good times….good times….I had my birthday party that day, and I got 5 copies of OotP. I kept the deluxe edition, but now I wish I had a regular hardcover. The deluxe edition is the oddball of my collection. If I had the deluxe DH, however…..that would be OK by me! :)

Avatar Image says:

The three years between books 4 and 5 seemed sooo long that it may have been that anticipation that made OoTP my favorite book (apart from DH). My dad wouldn’t let me go to a midnight release party, but I remember staying up until midnight knowing that the books were being sold. I woke up early the next morning and made my mom take me to the store to get it! I spent the whole day reading and didn’t even stop to eat!

Avatar Image says:

I remember my parents wouldn’t let me go the the midnight release, but I was awake most of the night anyway in anticipation…we were having it delivered to us and I recall just sitting on the front porch waiting for the book and when the truck pulled up to our house I started bouncing up and down. Ah…good times. Great book.

Avatar Image says:

My goodness, has it been 5 years already? OOtP is also the first midnight party I went to. I remember just minutes after I entered Borders, they closed the doors (and it wasn’t even 10:30pm yet!) so it won’t get too crowded inside and the rest of the fans had to wait outside, so I was very lucky on that part. The excitement of finally getting the book into my hands, and knowing that those around me were also having that same feeling of excitement. Definitely unforgettable experience. I almost won a prize that night too. Too bad I had mis-remembered the number of times Nearly Headless Nick had his neck..er.. .”chopped” with dull blade… I miss those midnight parties. I hope there will be one when the Scottish Book comes out.

Avatar Image says:

That quiz made me remember when DD came to visit Harry in HBP. The Dursleys aren’t even in the cast list this time- I really loved that scene, I could just see them, with the glasses of mead nudging their heads!

Avatar Image says:

5 years ago a took a plane for the first time and landed in London…I miss those days so much!

Avatar Image says:

This is in response to Mark’s comment. SUE IS NOT A RETARD!! she posted this, and she says that in the US it is the summer solstice. Is the US in the southern hemisphere, Mark? No, it is not. So PLEASE do not insult Sue. We love her! =) Thats all i have to say, please do not take offense at this, because i just had to say something. Sorry.

(Sigh)

I never went to a Midnight release, I was too young. I missed out. I can’t believe It’s been 5 years! I only started reading ‘Harry Potter’ early last year, my brother’s read them when they first came out, & It’s weird to think that, 5 years ago, my brother was sitting on the couch, reading ‘Order Of The Phoenix’ for the first time… It’s quite funny actually: I’m currently reading ‘Order Of The Phoenix’...It’s my second time reading it, &, I have to say: It’s better the second time around! All the little hints, like when Aunt Petunia says she heard Lily & that strange boy talking about Dementors! That’s Snape! & The locket/Horcrux being in the book! It’s just so good, the book is amazing! I’m also reading it to my mother, it’s her first time reading it, & she loves it too!

Avatar Image says:

Good summer to everyone and happy you’ll make your best to make the summer a truly “potter summer”

Avatar Image says:

I completely agree with longliveRemus: “Whenever I think of Harry Potter, I still think of it as divided into the era ending with GoF, and beginning with OotP.”

That’s how I think of it, too, though I don’t entirely know what my reasoning is. It just feels like Books 1-4 are sort of one half and Books 5-7 are another.

Avatar Image says:

I made the quiz..now I know how long Harry didn;t hear from his friends again..:P

Avatar Image says:

Hard to believe it was 5 years ago. I was in Iraq, so I had to wait for the book to come by mail. It did afford me ample time to reread all the previous books though. I remember being away form my family, and how much those books let me escape the difficult times there. OotP especially will always stand out in my mind for giving me some real enjoyment and escape during that time.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been 5 years… What I remember about that day was thinking how much I hated living in Chile. I received the book by the following Saturday and I was so depressed all that week. This was the first “new” Potter book that I’d gotten, having been introduced when the SS/PS DVD came out. I read it in about 3 days, between studying for finals and moving (I sat on the couch the whole time while my family hauled boxes) They would give me such dirty looks as they passed me… :)

Avatar Image says:

that was one of the best nights of my life. My first midnight release, and more importantly, my son’s first. He was nine years old. He loved drinking “pumpkin juice” and playing games while I held his place in line. He was the third to get a copy of OotP. My photo of him right after he got it is one of my most treasured. He had such a huge smile on his face! He celebrated his 14th birthday day by going with friends to see OotP and then going to the DH release party. Guess what? I stood in line for him again, and got another photo! What great memories!

The best part of all is…because I read the opening pages of SS to him, all those years ago, he let me read him the last page of DH. :)

Avatar Image says:

OMG OMG OMG today is my birthday and OotP was release on this day! I feel so special! hahahaha

Avatar Image says:

Technically, the summer solstice is the middle of summer (not the beginning), it’s the day of the longest day and shortest night, from here on in, summer starts declining:(

Here in the southern hemisphere, it’s the winter solstice today (midwinter, longest night and shortest day) – we’re on the way to spring:)

Avatar Image says:

I am actually rereading the book right now. But when the book came out I bought cookies and two copies at walmart went home and spent the next three days reading the book. The other copy was for my then boyfriend (now husband). But this summer solstice I will be spending at a wedding! Back to reading the book later.

Avatar Image says:

Hear hear Evie! I second that.

OOTP was the first book I ever had to wait for and what a wait. I remember trying to reread before it came out but I only got to the end of POA. My dad took me the morning of the release and I remember sittin in a cafe reading Dudley Demented, just so excited of a new story while some really annoying man kept pestering me about the book. Then I went back to the car and my Dad near passed out by the size of it: “That’s a children’s book?!” I’ve since got him to read all of them. Apart from DH it was the book I most excited to get my hands on. Thanks for reminding of this Leaky.

Avatar Image says:

I remember that day well. I was babysitting my nephew and he was sick, so I spent the day rocking him. He was not quite one then and now he is a big almost six year old, They grow up so fast.

Avatar Image says:

I was at the beach in a different state and we left earlier than we normally would have to find a place to get it. I remember waiting in the line i’m so sad all tn WalMart and being so excited. That was my first Midnight and then I went to the rest in my town!

I’m so sad that all that fun is over, but I will always have those memories… so I guess all in all it’s a win!

Avatar Image says:

5 years ago….. I was a spiky-haired teen sitting on my bed wishing I had long hair, when all of a sudden my dearest mother droped what at first looked like a copy of the Oxfrd Engish Dictionary on my bed…. t turned out to be OOTP.

Over the next 5 years I grew my hair long till it reached half-way down my back and remained an avid HP fan and now…..

I’m a short-haired (had it cut in April) 21-year-old on my computer in Hannover, Germany (moving back to the UK next month) with a copy of DH next to me…. how times have changed

Avatar Image says:

Grrr… that quiz was really difficult. It took me like 7 retries to get it right. Good thing I’m starting to re-read the series again.

After I finish The Amber Spyglass and the Twilight series, of course. I’m obsessed.

that quiz was so hard

Wow…

5 years…

Coincidentally, I took two days off to do work around my house, and to catch up on my newspaper reading. while reading the paper, I popped OOTP into my dvd player for background noise. I must have rerun it about 5 times (I’m way behind on my newspaper reading). When I got thru my pile, I decided to start re-reading OOTP last night.

It was my second midnight release party. I do miss them, but am thankful I was around for all of them. We were blessed to live thru a unique time!!!

Avatar Image says:

I was a bit late getting into HP (the first six books had already been out!) My parents wouldn’t let me go to the midnight release of 7, but I stayed up anyways and cheered when midnight came around. I’m just happy I had the experience of actually waiting for at least one of the books = ]

Avatar Image says:

OOTP I didnt actually bother getting ‘til about a week after its release – I bought it with my birthday money because I saw tons of copies at Borders and just picked it up for the heck of it. I wasn’t planning on getting it for a while for some reason D:

Avatar Image says:

I was a very later comer into all things Potter. I saw the first movie before reading any of the books and that was after the DVD release. I then picked up paper-backs of the first 4 books (all that was out at the time) and read the entire set in a weekend. As with any good HP fan, I was dying for more. I found out that book 5 was do out in a few short months. How lucky for me! While I thoroughly enjoyed OOTP, it was a much harder wait for me for HBP and DH as I had swallowed all the first 5 rather quickly and then had to wait the full time for the last 2 books.

I too miss the chase of solving JKR’s puzzles and seeing how close I was. I hope she decides to write more in the HP world at some point.

Write a Reply or Comment