Jason Isaacs Confirms Return as Lucius Malfoy for “Deathly Hallows”

323

Jun 25, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Jason Isaacs has given a new interview where he confirms again he will return as Death Eater Lucius Malfoy in the film version (s) of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Speaking to Coming Soon.com, Jason says while he is uncertain when he is to begin filming (he thinks February at this point), he is very much looking forward to returning to the part, and to working with actress Helen McCrory who has taken on the role of Narcissa Malfoy.

“I am very excited. Also, the woman who is playing my wife I’ve been a fan of for a very long time. In fact, one of the great things about going to do “Harry Potter” at all is that a lot of people who are my acting idols I see sitting in make-up chairs beside me. To get to do scenes with Gary Oldman and Richard Harris, Michael Gambon and now Helen McCrory, who I’m a big fan of ’ it’s fabulous.”

Jason also admits he had not read “Deathly Hallows” before learning that his character would return, but did admit again that he spoke with author J.K. Rowling before the publication, begging for Lucius to get out of prison after book five. Quotage:

“I’m not quite strong enough to pick up a book of that weight. I had a couple of people to help me, and a winch. The secret can be out now. Before it came out I wasn’t quite sure ’ there was a point where I wasn’t sure I was going to do anymore because there wasn’t much for me to do in number five and I wasn’t in number six. I met Jo Rowling for the first time at a big awards dinner. I went over and basically fell to my knees and said “Get me out of prison, I beg you.” She looked over her shoulder and looked back at me mouthing “You’re out. Chapter One.” And that was it, that’s all I had to know, and I signed up immediately.

Jason Isaacs also says he is currently filming a guest spot for the hit HBO series “Entourage,” noting: “I play a truly monstrous character. Frankly, there is not point in competing with Ari frankly. The thing is all those characters are so deeply drawn, a little like “Harry Potter” you’ve got to hit the ground running. Similarly to “Harry Potter” also, you get to set and it’s such a popular show here in Hollywood that they are so comfortable with what they are doing. They are so good at what they do that you feel like you have to come in with some pretty bold colors or you’ll fall through the cracks.”

Thanks to Coming Soon!

48 Responses to Jason Isaacs Confirms Return as Lucius Malfoy for “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

nice to hear. i know sue’s happy. = )

it’s even better that he’s excited to come back and play the part.

Might I add: Awesome!

Avatar Image says:

1st?? awsome!! I luv jason!!! he is definitely the best Lucius!! that is funny what he did to Jo.

Avatar Image says:

Well we know he know he loves Narcissa! Him and Helen will have fun playing husband and wife. Such a lucky gal. I just wish we had some pics of her that were more clear, the ones we saw looked great but were very distant and blurry.

Avatar Image says:

I, for one, would have been very upset if he weren’t in DH with everything we get to see Lucius and Narcissa doing.

Cool (

Avatar Image says:

Yay! He plays a brilliant Lucius Malfoy, absolutely brilliant! & I just have to say: I love Jo Rowling! I love how she let him know, too: “You’re out. Chapter One.” So easy, simple, yet, it tells so much.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! He plays a brilliant Lucius Malfoy, absolutely brilliant! & I just have to say: I love Jo Rowling! I love how she let him know, too, she had to mouth-it-out: “You’re out. Chapter One.” Ha ha! Priceless!

Avatar Image says:

I luff Jason Isaacs so much. Can’t wait to see him and Helen acting together in DH. The first chapter is brilliant, and I really hope they keep it in- they have to. The two movies should accomodate for everybody’s storylines. _ especially Lucius and Narcissa’s. Again so much love for the way Jason conducts his interviews. <3

Avatar Image says:

Jason Isaacs is perfect as Lucius. I’m VERY HAPPY to hear he’ll finish out the series. I can hardly wait to see the scenes at Malfoy Manor. YES!!!

Avatar Image says:

What in the world? I have two comments. Oy.

Avatar Image says:

I’m delighted that he will be coming back for the last movie(s). I think he brought a subtlety to the character that was very hard to pull off. As he says, he plays a thoroughly nasty character, and it would be easy to present Lucius Malfoy very two-dimensionally. He is able to do evil in 3-D, and that has made me interested in any other parts he might play in the future. (This is the same reason I am not so wild about Helena Bonham Carter’s interpretation of her role. I personally like a little subtlety.)

Avatar Image says:

Omg I can just imagine Jo mouthing that to him!

I’m so glad he will be back for DH though because he plays Lucius SO well and he is just like book Lucius imo. Yay!

Yay!!

Avatar Image says:

Hooray! He`s the best as Lucius. I seriously can`t think of anyone else playing him. I love his voice, (it`s oh-so-perfect), and his look, everything! Great news that he’s going to be Lucius! :) Yay. *throws confetti.

Avatar Image says:

He is just awesome, and I love that he is so enthusiastic about his role. The perfect Lucius! And the byplay between him and Jo, just wonderful, I love it. At least we know one thing for sure about DH now, LOL. If we could just get news of an HBP trailer now, my day would be complete….

Avatar Image says:

I love that he’s a fan of Helen, that makes me happy and hopeful to see their chemistry. I’m so glad he’s going to be back and that he’s so enthusiastic about it. Love him. :)

Avatar Image says:

seeing as there are two parts, I look forward to seeing as to seeing as much of him as possible.

Avatar Image says:

I absolutely adore the way he throws himself into his character and at least appears to love what he is doing. It really makes him one of my favorite actors as a result.

Avatar Image says:

Is it just me or is Jason possibly the most enthusiastic person involved in the films?

He’s always the first we hear signing up for a movie, and he always poses for fun little pictures that are never actually used in the movies. He’s just SO great. He’s also one of the few actors who PLAY their character, not an interpretation of it. Snape, Luna, Umbridge & Vernon Dursley are also played to this quality.

I’m so happy he’s back for the climax :)

Avatar Image says:

Yay – nobody else could relate the posture, arrogance and snobbery that Jason brings to Lucius. He is perfect and deserves to be in the ending of the saga.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, Sue. A squee for you Jason pick up a DH book! It’s fantastic!

Avatar Image says:

You know, I don’t think anyone was into Lucius as a character so much until Jason Isaacs got that part. He’s probably the only actor in those films who has really added to what was already in the books. Jason, the Harry Potter films are your films.

Avatar Image says:

He is the perfect Lucius. Just as I could never envision andy other actor other than Alan Rickman for Snape. He is Lucius.

Just one quick comment. What is it with all these HP actors and how they do not read the books? He did not read DH?? What??

Wouldn’t you be one of the first people buying it if you played one of the characters? Just to see if you had a big role or a little role coming up? If he would have read the book he would have not needed to ask Jo to let him out of prison. He would have known that he was out.

Just an opinion. :)

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I’m so glad he will be back. I can’t wait to see him and Helen McCrory together as Lucius and Narcissa. I think all of the films have had such amazing/perfect casting choices with so many of them being exactly what I had always pictured them to look like and be like in my mind. I mean for me Helena Bonham Carter literally is Bellatrix because she plays her so flawlessly, I don’t think anyone else could play her as well as she does. The same goes for Jason Isaacs as Lucius and I loved Gary Oldman as Sirius.

Avatar Image says:

Cool! It’s so good to hear about an actor who enjoys his role so much because only true Harry Potter fans should be allowed to be in the movies, but I know that that is not always the case. And I really hope Lucius and Narcissa get the screen time they deserve in DH. I hate how they basically cut every scene that just involves the adult actors and not the trio out of the movies. I mean I know the trio are the main characters, but they are not the only characters whose stories are important to the overall plot. Speaking of which, if they ruin the part with Snape’s memories about Lily I will probably have to kill them. Oh, and while I’m at it, they need to give Lupin and Tonks some screen time, please!!!! Okay, I’m done ranting for now. Yay for Lucius!

Avatar Image says:

Oh goodness, if he’d read the book, he’d have known that he HAD to be back! He plays evil so deliciously! Gotta love it!

Avatar Image says:

Well, of course he’s coming back, he loves doing these movies and it would be weird for them to get a new Lucius now. I love watching him in the part; you can tell he’s having fun and relishing it so much. :D

Avatar Image says:

Excellent. He is a very good Lucius Malfoy. ;)

Avatar Image says:

omg I feel like it all can’t come fast enough for me I keep reading the books over and over just to fill this sort of empty hole they all are great actors and it wouldn’t have been the same without him. I just hope these next three are better then ootp that’s my least fav they left to much out. I also miss the first dumbledore because he was more like the book this one is to jumpy and not as cool.

thats 5 more hours of him, in films! excellent

Avatar Image says:

why does jk rowling succumb to celebrities and give out secrets haphazardly like that?

Avatar Image says:

yay! the more actors from the other movies that come back the better! and might i add that he does an exellent job of being and evil death eater. i hate how some of the charactors r being cut from the films. like how in Hbp moaning myrtle wont be in their to confort draco. And fleur and proffessor trlawney wont be there either but at least lucious will be in it!

Avatar Image says:

gosh these actors need to at least read the book once! sometimes i feel like that the movies not only leave alot out, but they also twist feelings and characters to fit their needs. then the actors go around doing interviews and talking about their character’s development and completely miss the point. they think they are making these really insightful comments that really are not parallel with the book! sorry guys i had to let that rant out!

Avatar Image says:

and by the way, i dont think jason isaacs is one of the actors that get it wrong.i think he does really well, but it does still bother me that he hasnt read the book. hes attractive…ahah.

Avatar Image says:

I may be wrong… but it did sound a little like the book hadn’t come out yet… And when he met Jo, he begged her. But again, I could be wrong. I probably would beg her too. That made me laugh. I am sure that Sue did too. If I saw Jason Isaacs walking down the street, I would know it in a second. I normally wouldn’t go gaga over famous people ( I have friends that are and I worry about butting into something, or privacy) , but for Jason I would. He’s just yummy!!! Sorry Jason… you are just too hot!!!

Yes! I love him!

Avatar Image says:

This is great that Jason is returning as Lucius Malfoy we will have some time where are eyes are not going to leave the screen and they seem clued. and I think that Helen is so lucky to be shareing the screen with Jason just pure lucky woman. I just loved how he got down on the floor and begged to be let out of prison and that Jo told him that he got out on chapter one. I really look forward to seeing Jason in the the Deathly Hallows

Avatar Image says:

“You’re out. Chapter 1” I love her! Also its always great to hear from Jason Isaacs he clearly loves playing Lucius and being part of the franchise, you cant help but be endeared by his enthusiasm

Avatar Image says:

Squeeee. Jason is one of my fave adult actors in the HP movies. He makes a wonderful Lucius and I love how he is in interviews. He is so witty and funny. I can so imagine that little exchange with JKR. Hilarius.

Yes, Jenny and luciusgal. To me it sounded as though he was referring to what happened before DH came out.

Great News!!!

I love that Jo spilled a little bit of the beans to him…

I’m surprised he hadn’t read DH. Prior to him being cast in COS, I remember him being quoted as saying he read SS thru POA in one weekend.

Yay for Jason.

Avatar Image says:

Nice to hear that he’s back ;D

Avatar Image says:

Of sourse he is! No one can do the always unctious Lucious Lucius. It just wouldn’t be the same without him.

Avatar Image says:

Woot! Captain Hook is back! Yeah….he’s the best Lucius ever, and he was awesome in Peter Pan- actually the only thing good about that otherwise horrendous waste of money.Lucius is teh pimp yo!

Avatar Image says:

Sooooooo great! He is the best Lucius one could imagine and I love that he is enthusiatic about his role. Can’t wait for DH movie!

Avatar Image says:

I know this is completely off topic, but reading Nat’s comment about characters being cut out of films reminded me. How exactly are they going to get away with leaving out the whole Bill and Fleur thing? I mean their wedding is like the first big scene (except for the process of moving Harry to the Weasley’s) in DH and I just don’t see how they could possibly leave the wedding out. I really hope they don’t screw that part up and cut it out or change it so much that its nothing like the book.

Avatar Image says:

Thank Merlin he’s coming back for DH! Can you imagine anyone else as Lucius? I think Sue and the other Jason fans would go into a catatonic state! I know I would! If WB has done one thing right in these films, besides the increadible sets, is the casting.

Write a Reply or Comment