Enjoy a Feast Hogwarts Style at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Jul 08, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Well as if this recent flurry of new “Half-Blood Prince” high res photos and news about the video games weren’t enough to fuel your appetite for all things Harry Potter, we have another morsel to tempt you tonight. The top chef at Universal Orlando has given a new interview where he speaks about food for visitors at the upcoming Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park attraction being built in Orlando, Florida. Theme Park Insider spoke with executive chef Steve Jayson, who confirmed plans are being worked on in regards to the menus and types of food service Potter fans may find at the new park as he said “We’ve visited Scotland to get a real close, personal look at the cuisine that they eat,” Jayson said. “We’re going to have one restaurant that’s going to have a nice selection of items that you would probably expect to see in that vein of cooking, and I think it is going to be great.”

While there was no mention of our favorite watering hole, The Leaky Cauldron, Steve Jayson did mention some possible liquid refreshments that might be available, noting ””Pumpkin juice, butterbeer,” Jayson laughed. “All those great beverages, we are working on a lot of different things.”

With construction ongoing, the latest word for an opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando is December of 2009.

64 Responses to Enjoy a Feast Hogwarts Style at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

yum.

Avatar Image says:

Man, I can’t WAIT for this to open!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always wondered what pumpkin juice tasted like, and if it was really that delicious… :) Cool. I can’t wait for this theme park! =D

Avatar Image says:

It`s so good to hear some news…. I will be there in 2009 or whenever it opens… Man i can`t wait for this HOGWARTS…..

Avatar Image says:

really, the food is something from harry potter i really COULD live without. i mean, my mothers side is from Scotland and i KNOW what people stereotypically think we eat. i dont wish the pain of actually EATING it on other people.

Avatar Image says:

EEE! I love news about the theme park!

Avatar Image says:

I’d love to taste butterbeer! I cant wait to visit the theme park

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for this theme park! A real taste of Hogwarts…lol

Avatar Image says:

I hope they consider adding vegan items on the menu! :)

Avatar Image says:

Oh, goodie. Can’t wait to see what they do with haggis. Bet it’s not the real thing, though. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

OMG! I’m even more excited for the theme park now! Yummmmm =)

Avatar Image says:

I really hope they leave the haggis OFF the menu, LOL. I’ve been to Scotland and it is a fabulous country, but… no offense, but a lot of traditional food over there wouldn’t go over so well on an American theme-park palate. :) Can’t WAIT for this theme park, though, we’ll be there for sure!

Avatar Image says:

Just another reason why I need to make it to Orlando for the opening! It sounds great!

HEAPS COOL!!!

Can’t wait (that’s if I ever get to go)

As long as there’s no haggis, I’m all good for the Scottish food =D

Avatar Image says:

They have gone to Scotland for inspiration? Expect deep-fried everything on the menu and a real life working St Mungo’s for all the heart attacks.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be among those first in line DEFINITELY! And I’m so happy I’ll finally try a butterbeer! They better have Jo go over and do tastings so we get the taste she imagined when she created the books!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, no haggis please! They had an awesome ‘Harry’ themed dinner before the Sonorus shindig in California before DH was released. Hope it’s all that good. Ooooh, Treacle Tart and Spotted… “Richard” for dessert! Yummy! (Good green beans, too, but I don’t know that they were locale specific.)

Avatar Image says:

Can’t wait for it to open. Live only 1.5 hrs away so I’m planning many day trips!

Avatar Image says:

I CANT WAIT FOR THIS TO COME! I LIVE NEARLY 2 DAYS DRIVING FROM THERE! but ill be there…thats for sure! I hope they have everything that we’d except to see there like nothing from mcdonalds there and stuff like that, i hope we’ll be in the total life of the wizarding world

Avatar Image says:

Most of the things I’ve seen in the films looks like “normal”ish foods, so I doubt there will be haggis. If there is, well, fine I guess, but I wont be eatin it :p

Wonder if there will be a kickin place in Hogwarts to get some Mexican…

Avatar Image says:

OMG butterbeer? eeeeeeeeeek! I can’t wait hehe I made an “alcoholic” version of butterbeer myself when I was working at a bar a few yrs back… people loved it! someone even made mention of me calling it “butter-beer” and mentioning Potter giggles YAY!

fall 2010, WWoHP Here I Come!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Sounds good but I hope they have some vegetarian choices. I know that when I go to Scotland I sometimes find it hard to find veggie food :S

Avatar Image says:

Being scottish i just want to say i hope they dont put the stereotypical stuff in the menu like haggis which i might i add hardly anyone actually eats here. i dont imagine hogwarts serve Haggis and ive never imagined they serve particulary Scottish food as much as i do like our food i always imagined the menu at hogwarts more British overal than scottish..but mabye thats just me.

Avatar Image says:

WOW! That sounds great. It would also be good to have some traditional ENGLISH dishes too. I’ve never had Fried Tomatoes, but I hear they’re good. YES, no haggis, please! LOL. RE: Pumpkin Juice: I don’t know about other places, but here in South Carolina [USA] we get Pumkin Juice at Halloween time. I haven’t tried it, yet, but we’re having it at our ‘Harry Potter Party’ this November! I hear it’s cool. And it would be a GREAT addition to the menu, at the park. [mmmmm! Over ice!] Can hardly wait until November, let alone to December…2009!

Avatar Image says:

Pumpkin Juice is mildy sweet, with a sort of slippery aftertaste. We tried it when we were kids growing up in Charleston! (SC)

Avatar Image says:

The only thing I think is going to be strange is cruising through Hogsmead on a tan top and shorts. C’mon… they should build on the north! it would be way cooler! Literally… hehehehe

Avatar Image says:

I am so glad that new big HP news is finally rolling in. I was really starting to get disheartened.

I’m personally hoping for some treacle tart. “A Wizard in the Kitchen Cookbook” has a nice recipe along (with many others inspired by HP) but It would be so much nicer to eat it in the Great Hall.

Avatar Image says:

Hey … I like haggis … it’s like a very spicy sausage, not hot spicy, but lots of herbs, pepper, etc. If nothing else fans of Harry Potter should know to keep an open mind. It’s awfully Dursleyish to disparage things one hasn’t tried.

And having spent about a month in Scotland recently, I would not be disparaging their cuisine. Venison sausage with cranberries and garlic mashed potatoes. Orkney cheddar and anything … oatcakes when I’m hiking, baked potatoes on a cold day, on a salad of fresh buttercrunch lettuce, and just on its own. Scones and jam, with the scones hot from the oven. Cullen skink (a chowder made with smoked haddock).

Shortbread “biscuits” with a cup of tea. Fresh raspberries, plain, with ice cream or a little vanilla custard, and right, sticky toffee pudding. In the thirty years I’ve been visiting the UK the only food I have not particularly liked has been the “cooked breakfast” (too heavy) and some attempts at “American”.

Avatar Image says:

Ahhh please don’t make there be Haggis!!! I know I’m not the only Scottish person who hates it!! Haha :P Nahh, really I don’t mind. I just hope I can go some day, it would be amazing! I’ve never been abroad before so far so maybe soon… :D

Avatar Image says:

Emma: I completely know what you mean. But maybe they’re doing a British menu and having different foods from the different countries??....idk, just suggesting :]

Avatar Image says:

Can’t say I’m looking forward to trying butterbeer or pumpkin juice (I always thought both of them sounded revolting) but I know I wont be able to resist a try.

What about munchies? I always wanted to try acid pops, though I’m pretty sure they’re not what I originally thought they were.

Avatar Image says:

MMMmmm hmmmm, give me some of that steak and kidney pie!

Avatar Image says:

Well, if you don’t like the food in the Harry Potter section of the park, just walk over to Jurassic Park.

Avatar Image says:

Steak & Kidney Pie I have tried; not as delicious as you might think.

Not too surprising when you consider that kidneys are primarily for filtering out toxins. Soooo, it’s probably not too healthy for you either.

Just trying to cushion the disappointment.

Avatar Image says:

Scottish food? Better be expecting deep fried mars bars and curly wurlys! Ok, I’m just kidding. I can’t wait for it to open, imagine all the shops to buy as much HP merch as I want. And only around 500 days to go! YAY.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for it to open.. I can’t wait to taste the food, drink the drinks.. what i can’t wait to see is if they’re gonna have some Firewhiskey.. Now that i wanna taste.. lol…

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I can’t wait to go visit this theme park!* I wonder if they’ll have an attraction to where you can ride on a hippogriff? That would be brilliant!*

Avatar Image says:

Oh, man! It’s so unfair, I’m in Florida now, and I’m actually going to Islands of Adventure on monday! I just hope to get a small glimpse of the building! Although, I;m not counting on it.. It would be great though. And, I’m probably not making it back here for quite some time, so I won’tbe there for the opening, sounds awesome though!

Avatar Image says:

Butterbeer!!!! YEAH! For the longest time, I’ve been trying to imagine what that would taste like- I keep picturing something along the lines of the homemade syrup you use to make Christmas popcorn balls- poured through the popcorn balls. (not to be confused with Pete Shwetty balls)

CAN’T WAIT! YA YA YA YA YA

Avatar Image says:

You can get Firewhiskey. Its called Wild Turkey!! I have always called it “dragon juice”, anyway!

Avatar Image says:

All of the food served at Hogwarts is traditional English fare, not Scottish, so I don’t know why they bothered to go to Scotland, except that Hogwarts is in Scotland.

Someone commented adversely on Steak and Kidney pie which I personally love, but I suppose if you grow up with it, it is normal. I certainly hope that the chef learned how to make sausage the way we do in the UK, because my son remarked that “links” were not at all close to a meat item that is highly regarded here.

Fried tomatoes taste quite different from uncooked ones and can be cooked in olive oil or the more traditional bacon fat which adds extra flavour. After all that talk of food I’m hungry!

Avatar Image says:

Ditto on the vegan options!!! (I hope the WB people are reading this. ;) )

Avatar Image says:

Although, I live in the UK, i’m definately going over to America to this theme park. So excited! <3

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t there going to be a Diagon Alley? There has to be a Leaky Cauldron before that, come on.

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t there going to be a Diagon Alley? There has to be a Leaky Cauldron. At least, I hope there will be.

Avatar Image says:

I cant wait to try it all. I read the food and can only imagine what pumpkin pasties and toad in the hole taste like….or what they even look like. Butterbeer sounds wonderful, like a warm thick tummy tickeling drink.

i love haggis

What, bangers & mash?

Avatar Image says:

I simply CANNOT wait for it to open I want to live there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :p :O :S

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!!! I can’t wait for that. I’m actually counting the days…. and I’m from Peru, I’m actually gonna go to the States just to go to the theme park!!!! amzing!!!!

Avatar Image says:

OH. MY. GOD. THIS. IS. AMAZING!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

To Felipe: I work at an audiobook Library for the Blind and I LOVE your Braille avatar! Must be your name?

omggggggg this is sooooooooooo EXCITING

Avatar Image says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING maybe the cast will come for opening day! haha if so i’m totally going no matter what it takes!

god i cant wait

Avatar Image says:

Ahhhh, so excited! My dad lives in Orlando and I have two siblings that currently work at Universal and another who has worked there in the past. I am SO getting a job there for the opening! That would be soooo sweet. I could walk through the world of Harry Potter after hours. Can you say DREAM COME TRUE?

Avatar Image says:

I think it sounds great!!! I can’t wait to go. I am planning the big family vacation a year early because of this park. It’s still four years away but we’re planning. I read that the Back to the Future ride was taken down and wasn’t planning on visiting Universal. Since a big part of my family are Potter fans there is no way we could pass it up now. Can’t wait to see it!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh wow! I’m from Scotland, but I really hope they don’t stereotype it by just having haggis and stovies (mashed potatoes and mince, trust me its nice!) and neeps (turnips) and tatties (potatoes) and stuff, because we don’t live off of that, trust me! I think that they should do British food, like some specialities from Scotland, some from England, some from Wales, and some from Northern Ireland/Ireland. The general opinion I got from the books was that the feasts were British, to suit that all the kids would be from all over Britain. I still can’t wait to try butterbeer! =]

Avatar Image says:

Haha Dr. Haggis, I know what you mean about the deep-fried food. My brother lives in Glasgow and I cant watch one bit in GOF without laughin because everytime Cho asks for 2 pumpkin pasties on the Hogwarts express in that Scottish accent, my brother always says in a deep Glaswegian voice: “You want that deep-fried, love?” Haha cracks me up everytime.

Out of everything in Harry Potter’s world I REALLY want to taste butterbeer

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait! My cousin and I decided that as much as we would kill to see Jo and perhaps the trio too, it is going to be way too cold to stand outside waiting all day when the park first opens so we are waiting to go until it warms up enough and its a little less crowded so that we can really enjoy ourselves. I have a fear of heights so I don’t know if I’ll be riding too many of the rides, but you can bet I’ll be chowing down on the HP themed food and buying everything in sight in the shops at Hogsmeade. I wish they were doing a Diagon Alley too, but oh well I’m just so glad we are even getting a theme park!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!!!!!! i will beg my parents to let me go. i will tell them i wil not ask for anything else for my B-DAY if they bring me. i bookmarked all the pages of the theme park to show my parents. I CANT WAIT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

yay i was just there the other day! i read it’s going to be in Islands of Adventure

Avatar Image says:

Черная Магия решение проблем в бизнесе и личной жизни. Снятие и наведение порчи, приворот, ритуалы на: бизнес, любовь, возврат супруга, удачу, власть, магическую силу. Амулеты на все случаи жизни. Обучение магии.

Avatar Image says: I don't think they are going to be able to fit all of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter into 20 acres, they need to build just a Hogwarts in New Zealand (there is tones of room). Build it WITHOUT Hogsmead; have the boats going across the lake. They should make it exactly the same size as in the movies; have the Whomping Willow, Hagrid's Hut, the Shrieking Shack, and the Owlery etc. By the looks of the plans, they aren’t going to have any room for these. Also in the Islands Adventure, America, think of all the tourists walking around Hogwarts, carrying cameras, phones, it just wouldn't be Hogwarts. There would be queuing for hours just to the Moaning Myrtles bathroom (if they even put in). They could team up with EA, Warner Brothers, and the original architects and build an amazing Hogwarts! I aren’t saying the Wizarding World of Harry Potter isn’t going to be great (I think it will be awesome), I am just saying they need more Hogwarts!

Write a Reply or Comment