Jul 14, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A brief update today regarding the ongoing construction at Universal Orlando for the new “Wizarding World of Harry Potter” theme park. The Orlando Sentinel has word today regarding areas being closed in the existing park, including closures of the “Flying Unicorn ride, the Enchanted Oak Tavern restaurant, the Dragon’s Keep store and the Alchemy Bar. All will be refurbished with new themes related to the Harry Potter attractions area, set to open in late 2009 or early 2010.”

Of interest is word on the continuing development of the Hogsmeade and Hogwarts castle areas. Quotage: “The Enchanted Oak building, shown at right, above, which already looked like a magical, mystical place, is now being rebuilt, presumably to resemble a Hogsmeade establishment such as The Three Broomsticks. A seven-story structure of steel girders rising behind a Jurassic Park fence, shown at left, above, appears to be framework for the castle. Universal officials won’t comment, however.

“It’s too soon to talk about specifics’ spokesman Tom Schroder.”

You can see additional construction photos, concept photos, official artwork and more here in our image galleries. A reminder as well, to register for email alerts from the official Universal Wizarding World of Harry Potter website, here. We expect their owls to begin deliveries of theme park news within the next few months.

27 Responses to Brief Update on Closures, Construction for Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park

Avatar Image says:

cool! I’m first for the first time. Flying unicorn ride, The three broomsticks,it is magical !!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I have been to the park and seen some of the construction and other stuff. It was amazing and i can’t wait to go again. Emma Watson is a 2nd cousin of mine so i got in without paying!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to taste Butterbeer

Avatar Image says:

I wished it was done already!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

EEE THIS IS SO EXCITING!!! i cant wait!

Avatar Image says:

I sooo can’t wait until I can go visit Hogsmeade!!

Sadly I’m in the UK so it could be a year after it opens :( I guess I’ll just have to look at all the photos instead!

Avatar Image says:

I was there last week when they first closed it all down, and it was the biggest surprise. One day, everything was clear, and open, next day, nope. It was a hassle trying to get around it, but at least that meant the Dueling Dragons were the shortest wait ever. =p

Avatar Image says:

folks looking for the trailer should note that it will eventually appear under: http://raincloud.warnerbros.com/wbol/us/whv/med/harry_potter/hbp/

nothing’s up there yet, nor is it open to public viewing right now. the material is uploaded under the tradename for HBP (as in OotP was called TipTop, CoS was called Incident on 57th Street) on raincloud, but that is super-secret stuff right now :-)

Avatar Image says:

I I, you mentioned we should see something this week. Would an updated website be a good guess?

Avatar Image says:

why don{t they say they will take the entire fantasy area of the park and be done with breaking our nerves over what stays and what leaves?

and does anyone plan to visit the park before they take everything out?

can I ask for a favor? if anyone like the show [the 8th voyage of Simbad) can they go talk to the actors there and suggest them to apply for jobs as Harry potter characters so they don{t stay without a job once, ineviatably, they take simbad out too?

tell them that the guy who plays Simbad could apply for the Sirius role, the woman who played the princess could play Tonks or Narcissa Malfoy, the sea witch apply for the role of Bellatrix and the guy who played the sidekick to apply for Petter Pettigrew-Wormtail?

What a shame.

Avatar Image says:

I saw this last week on mugglenet.

Its like they new I was going up to orlando this week and going to Islands of Adventure. :(

Avatar Image says:

A MuggleNet reader who works at an IMAX theater has provided us with a description of the trailer, as well as the one line of dialogue in it. We understand that some people may want to be surprised, so highlight in between the arrows below if you’d like to read it before Friday!

DONT READ ON IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW

->A black screen with Dumbledore saying “Once again I must ask you to do the impossible, Harry.” After that, the title is displayed as well as the release date.<-

Avatar Image says:

HOW COOL would it be if with the Flying Unicorn Ride, they turned the Unicorns into Thestrals, and made it the Flying Thestral Ride? OMG, CANNOT wait until this opens!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m thrilled!* I can’t believe I’ll actually be at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!* My dream is coming true!*

Avatar Image says:

My family and I are visiting Universal at the end of next week !

Avatar Image says:

They should have a life size Dementor dummy with Moose antlers telling people about the closing.

Avatar Image says:

Haha. I know. I can’t believe I’m going to see Hogwarts castle. That’s like … the craziest thing ever. :) This theme park will be AWESOME. I can’t wait to taste butterbeer finally! *screams! I’ve always thought it sounded deliciousssss. [:

Avatar Image says:

Yes, maybe they’ll turn the unicorns into thestrals or hippogriffs. I can’t wait to visit this theme park!

Avatar Image says:

I am so excited!!!!!!! I hope there is a Thestral ride! And they should have a Luna character there!

I wonder what the gift shops will have?

Starts poking money in HP piggy bank<

Avatar Image says:

Woah! What happened? How odd!

Avatar Image says:

Woot! This is so cool! I so can’t wait for WWOHP!!! And to taste Butter beer! Mhm… =D This is going to be the best theme park in the world, and thank god it’s in the U.S!

Avatar Image says:

Oh man I’m so excited for this. :D And I’m only…12 hours away from Orlando. Hu-rah. Forget Disney World…ha ha. They should have pumpkin juice along with butterbeer.

Avatar Image says:

I think that when the technology gets better they should put a harry potter sim in the park so you could go battle people virtually and actually say the spells and see them go.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait! I live like 5 minutes away from there. :) I hope they have a ride that focuses on Luna’s quest for the Crumple-Horned Snorkack. I also hope that they have an interactive Hogwarts castle to make the experience even more immersive!

Avatar Image says:

Personally i think that the theme park is a bad idea. Yes, it will make ALOT of money but to me Harry Potter lives in my mind and not as a rollercoaster. I think the movies are great but the books are sertainly better!

Avatar Image says:

thats sooo cool! im kinda sad for the flying unicorn ride …. it wasnt great … but it was the first ride i rode when i went to islands of adventure…. (yeah i know im lame…. ) well its getting replaced with something muuuch better so i gues it doesnt matter…..

Write a Reply or Comment