J. K. Rowling Discusses MS and Her Mother in New Interview

110

Jul 22, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

There is a very brief clip from a new interview with Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling online today from an upcoming documentary on Multiple Sclerosis set to air tomorrow on BBC One in Scotland. The program, part of the station’s BBC Scotland Investigates series, will cover the topic of MS in this episode and features Ms. Rowling speaking of her mother’s battle with the disease. While the clip chiefly reiterates information given by the author in many previous interviews over the years, Ms. Rowling does relate her first-hand experience witnessing the illness, its effects, and her regret that her mother never knew of her writing the Harry Potter story. You can view the clip of J. K. Rowling speaking on this subject on the BBC website. A patron of the MS Society Scotland, J. K. Rowling is an active supporter in the battle against MS, giving her time and support to many fundraisers for the cause.

The program, Scotland’s Hidden Epidemic: The Truth About MS, will air Wednesday, July 23rd, at 10:45pm BST on BBC One in Scotland.

16 Responses to J. K. Rowling Discusses MS and Her Mother in New Interview

Avatar Image says:

how terrible… Jo’s mother never knew that her daughter was just beginning her journey to write the best selling series of all time!!! Sounds like it would be hard to ever forgive herself for that! They were, after all, very close… 1st?!?

Avatar Image says:

awww, bless jo. that’s really sad.

Avatar Image says:

should be very interesting, good for her.

Avatar Image says:

This is such a good thing, her helping stop MS. It is very sad that her mother never saw the series unfold. It’s always good to be able to help a cause and since this happened to JK’s mother, it is very brave of her to face MS. My hat’s off to her

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad to see JK doing so much to help fight MS. My Mom has had MS since the ‘80s, and I’ve grown up seeing the horrible effect it has had on her. She can barely walk now; she drags her left leg (pretty much dead from MS attacks) and had to start using a walker at the age of 43.

We love you, Jo!*

Avatar Image says:

I just heard about this on BBC Scotland I will definately watch this!! They are saying that Scottish poeple might have MS in our genes!! I do really feel sorry for J.K. Rowling… If i was a writer and my mother died before i told her about it i would be very upset…!

Avatar Image says:

Everyone’s favorite Original Mousketeer Annette Funicello has been living with MS since 1987. It seems like we hear of new discoveries relating genetics to illness nearly every week. Correcting the genetic problem has cured or greatly reduced the effects of the illness. Support research into the causes and cures for these illnesses. Let us hope we don’t have a future like the one in the Sci-Fi movie “GATTICA” where genetic prediction of future illness determines the scope and range of one’s career opportunities.

Avatar Image says:

MS is such a horrible thing. I’m glad that Jo is doing all that she is doing. My Dad has MS and like Jo’s mom, he never slows down, it’s a terrible thing to witness and you are so brave Jo.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Jo’s mom can possibly not know—-wherever she is, I’m sure there’s some manner of harry potter franchising in the afterlife, tee hee. :) At least, that’s the way I like to think about it.

Avatar Image says:

Jo, I am sure, that your mother is so proud on you,as we all are.

Avatar Image says:

Something wicked this way comes July 31st…

Avatar Image says:

being both a huge HP fan, and a person whos mother has MS, this means alot to me. I know alot of what Jo must have felt. my mom has a sense of humor and loose attitude about it too, it all sounded very familiar. thanks Jo

Avatar Image says:

|| Tell me is the TRAILER Online, please!!

| |, it better be the trailer!!! >.<

Anyway, I’m glad that Jo’s helping to fight MS.

Avatar Image says:

Having lost my wife to MS I understand the cruel effects of this dam disease. Seeing what it does to a person & how quickly it can happen effects all who have had loved ones die from this disease. All of the auto immune diseases are terrible so devastating to see, plus how awful & quickly it can happen. Not that any disease could ever be considered good. My wife is still my first thought in the morning & my last thought before I go to sleep at night. So I understand what J K Rowling went through as all of the rest of us who have lost loved ones to MS. I thank JK Rowling for her seven [7] great books in the Harry Potter series.

Write a Reply or Comment