PotterCast 162: NYC with Big Whompy

364

Aug 18, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Back from tour and Terminus,
PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast is here today with its 162nd episode which brings you the latest Harry Potter news as well as our live show from New York City. This episode starts off with the big news of the week: the “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film being pushed back to a July 17, 2009 release. Melissa, Sue, and John give their reaction to this announcement and talk of all the latest news on this subject. After the news, this episode then features the live recording of PotterCast from New York City which took place a few weeks back and features the reaction of Jo publishing “The Tales of Beedle the Bard.” The PotterCasters also discuss the “Half-Blood Prince” trailer and go into great detail about the scenes, flashbacks, and new characters seen in the preview. The PotterCast quartet then play a live edition of “Guess That Book,” hold some audience dueling, and take part in an extended question and answer session. Finally, we hear a live performance from wizard rock band The Whomping Willows. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“NYC with Big Whompy”

-The trio weighs in on the HBP release push-back.
- Frakledoodle is busy touristing in NYC.
- We play live Guess that Book, old school Dueling, and some Q&A with the NYC audience.
- All this and LOTS more including a live performance from ‘The Whomping Willows.’

RT: 76:16

Editors: John Noe

PotterCast Summer Tour Info
LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
Podcast Alley
Digg
Terminus 2008

Direct download (35 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (8 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

81 Responses to PotterCast 162: NYC with Big Whompy

First comment?Cool,anyway,YEAH,Pottercast atlast

Avatar Image says:

Glad to see Pottercast is back!

Avatar Image says:

Looking forward to your opinions on this awful change of date, I think the major Harry Potter websites have been a little slow showing their support to the fans. The Countdown thingy was fixed too quickly for my taste. Just my opinion.

Avatar Image says:

I have to admit I’m a bit dissapointed with Pottercasts reaction to the news. I understand you don’t want to mess up your relationship with WB, after all you want your invite to the Deathly Hallows set and all but I expected more from you guys.

Avatar Image says:

I heard the episode before this post was up (thank you itunes) and it seems you guys missed a few ’s-words’. Like when someone loses at one of the games the shout it and it’s really prominent.

Avatar Image says:

Pizza, Pottercast, and Wizard Rock, that night was awesome.

Avatar Image says:

Pizza, Pottercast, and Wizard Rock, that night was awesome.

Avatar Image says:

I completly agree with Melissa, John and Sue. It doesnt really matter. I’ve never been happier with them. THEY ARE NOT INFLUENCED BY WB. They are just being practical and objective. Unlike a lot of people here.

Avatar Image says:

It’s not showing up for me on i-tunes

Avatar Image says:

Your words are “it’s okay,” the tone and cadence of your voices sound really sad and tired.

Avatar Image says:

It’s not a positive thing… you’re letting WB get away with being greedy. Why do you like them squeezing out every dime from us that they can get? I was upset with this podcast.. I was hoping to hear you guys back up the people trying to actually do something. Instead, you just side with WB. I really don’t see how they were right in what they did. It’s not about patience for a movie, it’s about not giving greedy what they want and it pisses me off that they’re jsut using the HP fanbase for money. They don’t care about the fans. They care about the extra millions they don’t need. IF they make more money in the summer (which I DOUBT because November is pretty much the big money maker month) then it will only be a few million more than what they would have made in november. When you’re talking about a few million out of multi-millions, it means nothing. It’s just greed. That’s like trying to get three more dollars when you just made 100. And the only reason why the DK did well was because of Heath Ledger. If he wasn’t in it, it wouldn’t have made half the money it did.

Avatar Image says:

@ Cian, I agree. They are just being realistic.

Summer is gonna be awesome! :D

Avatar Image says:

I’m not as bothered by the HBP delay as I am by WB’s explanation for it. That was right out of their public relations handbook. WB would never simply say this move is all about $$. Instead they use phrases like “changing the competitive landscape” and “offering new windows of opportunity”. Oh Please!

I had gotten used to subdued responses from Leaky in situations like this. And that’s essentially what I heard on PotterCast. But kudos, especially to Sue, for expressing even the slightest criticism of WB.

Avatar Image says:

Hats off to TLC staff for making such a great effort to deal professionally with the disappointment in the HBP movie delay. None of us are happy about it, but having hissy fits & selling WB down the river does nothing (save releasing some frustration). There are far more important things going on in our world to get up in arms about than the push back of a movie release. Don’t get me wrong, I am not condoning WB’s choice. I think it was very poor business sense not to mention an extreme drag for us fans for WB to delay AFTER all the announcements etc had been made. However, It would be good if we all could try to get over it & start getting pumped for next summer. Leaky, you guys do an amazing job, & this Harry Potter fan is most appreciative of all your efforts!

Avatar Image says:

Kat, just because you disagree with the way Pottercast reacted to the news, doesn’t mean they’re wrong or trying to suck up to WB. It just means they reacted differently.

“Why do you like them squeezing out every dime from us that they can get?”—Raelynn

Raelynn, not sure what you mean by that comment. It’s not like we have to pay extra to see a summer film. The film was moved to help meet their profit demands for the next fiscal year. I agree with you about the Dark Knight, and I also agree that we are being used. It sucks, but it’s life. Call me jaded, but I don’t think the protests will reset the release date back to November. Now, that doesn’t mean you should quit your protest or stop signing petitions, but you shouldn’t expect everyone to react the same as you. Personally, I’m going to avoid seeing WB films or buying WB DVDs for awhile, not because I really think my $20 will make a difference, but just because it will make me feel a bit better to make WB wait for my money.

Avatar Image says:

You guys really helped me deal with the date thing. I agree with your opinions. I really hope they spend the time improving everything (special effects, acting) You guys should e-mail WB and ask what will be happening with this finished film! Well, I am listening to the podcast right now!!!!!! YeS! :D LOVE YA!<3

Avatar Image says:

The best explanation I’ve heard is not that WB thinks they will make more money if they release it in the Summer, but rather that The Dark Knight boosted their box office totals high enough that they don’t need another blockbuster this year. They didn’t have any major films lined up for 2009, so rather than make an immense amount in 2008 and then appear to be less successful (profitable) the next year they moved the HP film to balance their annual profit levels. They don’t won’t their stock holders to think they weren’t making as much money from year to the next.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I’ve only listened to the opening of the show, but I am so glad to hear that I’m not the only fan who isn’t foaming at the mouth to attack WB. I am absolutely disappointed that we have to wait longer (and I agree that the announcement could have – and should have – been handled better), but I’m more excited about Harry, A History and Beedle the Bard anyway. I’ve been avoiding the comments recently because I’ve felt like I’m a bad fan for not being more angry, so it’s a relief to know that I’m not the only one!

Avatar Image says:

Another House Elf, that is exactly it. Pretty good summary.

Avatar Image says:

Glad to see Pottercast is back! i being waiting for this pottercast like crazy specially because it include the NYC tour, i am at work i cant wait to go home and put it on my iphone, yay yay GO!!!! PCast…..

I love you guys,

Avatar Image says:

What about PotterCast 161 Part 2? The last episode was labeled Part 1.

Avatar Image says:

where is the terminus podcast!? I WANT THE TERMINUS PODCAST!!

Avatar Image says:

Well, I can’t hide my disappointment with that weak reaction, I think you TLC fellows could have done much better -it sounded like you don’t have blood in your veins, LOL! ... but of course everyone’s entitled to their own ways and opinions based on their own reasons and not somebody’s else.

Bye TLC, thanks for everything and see you on next summer!

Avatar Image says:

The reasoning for WBs new release date does make sense, however it was going a bit far with the “we love our fans”. That statement would probably make sense if they had continued waiting a year in between each movie. Pushing the date back and saying a line like that first of all is confusing and also just makes them look like a fraud.

Personally I’m very upset, because as much as i love ootp, it’s getting a little too much play time in my dvd player. However, this is a better decision as far as WB’s profits go, so more power to them for being smart with their money.

Avatar Image says:

Methinks they don’t want to lose they’re visits to the sets, premiere tickets, High Res movie stills, interviews, all of which come from WB. I’ve always loved Pottercast and Leaky but surely they’re a voice for the fans, and most of the fans are very, very angry at WB.

Avatar Image says:

Jajames, grow up. It’s incredibly rude to bash the Pottercasters like that just because they don’t have the same exact opinion as you or haven’t expressed it in the same way. They’re fans just like us, not some superheroes who are going to spend all their energy fighting WB for you.

It’s hardly catering to WB when the PC trio seemed to agree that WB didn’t handle the announcement that well, that they should have came right out and said it was all about the Dark Knight, and that the “I’ve seen the movie” statement from Mr. Horn was pretty dumb. Also, WB IS a business, and their first priority is sales. That’s just the truth, not some opinion developed by Pottercast to defend WB.

Personally I found the calm discussion between the Pottercasters a huge refreshment after all the anger and shouting in the news comments. They voiced their disappointment, but also tried to stay optimistic and upbeat like any other episode of Pottercast. As sloppily as this decision was made, WB isn’t going to take it back now, so everyone needs to move on and focus on other things like Beedle the Bard, Harry: A History, etc.

I wish the discussion would’ve been a little longer, since like I said, it was refreshing, but obviously they are all a little tired after that lightspeed tour! People should keep that in mind, too.

Avatar Image says:

Thankyou guys for listening to our outcry for an emergency podcast! I still cant understand their reasoning, it’s all a bit screwed up! Now we hear Twilight will take the slot of HBP. If WB believes HBP wouldnt get the crowds it deserves in November then why slot one of their new popular movies in it’s place? It’s B.S. and we all know it! I think they heard of Twilights fourth book frenzy and jumped on the back of it’s popularity, for more MONEY! Eventually they kicked Harry on the “back burner”. Ticks me off, but as I said, everyone must wear their Potter robes to the Twilight premiere and movie holding signs that say, “We came for HBP!” It’s not fair and it isnt right to treat their billions of Potter fans so disrespectfully, NOT RIGHT AT ALL! I think if they just told the truth and did sooner then they had, it would have been a more sucessful shift from Nov. to July. They handled it very un professionally!

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, do the pottercasters discuss the trailer at all? I was really looking forward to hearing their reactions to tommy… (riddle junior)

Avatar Image says:

Exactly Willeh. It’s not like they came out and said, “WB is Awesome for moving the movie back.” Guys, just because they’re not asking the fandom to sign petitions does not mean they’re happy about the move, or that they have an alternate motive. Also, it’s not like they asked fans to stop protesting or anything. This isn’t the Twilight Lexicon where they ban people who have negative opinions about the books and films. This is Pottercast. Pottercast is made of adults, and usually adults understand that we live in a capitalist society, resulting in things like this. It sucks, but what can we do? They’re not going to change the date back, and I think the Trio was merely trying to find a way to stay positive about a negative situation.

Avatar Image says:

Kerri, Twilight isn’t a Warner Brothers movie. It’s produced by Summit Entertainment. It has nothing to do with WB.

Pottershrink, yes they discuss the trailer.

Avatar Image says:

well i’m disapointed. i certainly didn’t expect you to start rallying a protest but atleast be a little miffed about WB sheer audacity in the way they’ve taken the fans for granted.

a lot of us arn’t actually pissed at the date moving, just the way they’ve handled it.

Avatar Image says:

WOW! That was wonderful. I completely concur with both Lillylove and Bookworm! TLC has done a fantastic job, though out all of this.Their calm and professional comments prove, once more, that ‘Harry Potter Fandom’ DOES have some cooler heads and wonderful leaders. I will continue, no matter what, to follow Leaky’s lead. They are the benchmark of Fansites. Long live Harry Potter and TLC!!!

Avatar Image says:

I live in the UK and like you I am disgusted with the way WB have treated us. Here in the UK if somebody (or something) advertises a fact and then goes back on their word it is illegal. Isn’t that the case here … we have all seen the trailer with the November date ~ which is like a contract … and then they break the contract by pushing the published date back by 8 months just to make more money. Can’t someone in the USA take them to court for breaking their contract. I would be happy to contribute to a fund to pay for this.

Avatar Image says:

WB is a business and so is TLC. They have the right and The need to be cautious and prudent as they judge best. Everyone has different views and Different reactions. Everyone has the right to be selective in their outrage… As other HP fandoms have done. HP Alliance being perhaps the most obvious example

Give our podcasters a break.

If you wish a different message to be known, what are you waiting for?

We have the first amendment

Start your own podcast and let your voice be heard and respect our trio as one voice among many

Ann,

Sorry, but US contract law doesn’t work like that. There is no contract between WB and the fans and no grounds to sue.

What might be interesting is if there is a contract between WB and EA Games or IMAX regarding the release of the movie. That would be a different situation. But any decent corporate attorney at WB wouldn’t have left that end dangling.

Molasses

Avatar Image says:

Some posters seem to think the PotterCast trio is being disrespected by those who would like to have heard a stronger response to WB. Yes, I wish the trio had responded a bit more strongly, but I have as much respect for them as anyone.

I’m sure Melissa, Sue, and John will agree that ALL OF US have the right to express our opinion. After all, isn’t that what these message boards are for?? But beyond that, what a BORING place Leaky would be if everyone shared the same opinion all the time. YUCK.

Avatar Image says:

Well said, KB Prez! On ward and upward, gang! Leaky, you’ve done a great job. Keep it up! Can’t wait for the next ‘Pottercast’!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Melissa, John and Sue… it’s nice to see that you guys aren’t going the fanatical approach by threatening a boycott and stuff just because of the delay.

And whoever said TLC was the WB’s buttmonkeys really need to have their heads examined. Just because TLC is entitled to set visits and such doesn’t mean WB owns them or influence what they can say about HBP’s move. And plus, they did level some criticism about WB’s press release regarding the move.

Avatar Image says:

OK I understand that UK and USA Laws are different but I still think that WB have broken trust with HP fans and as such I will not see HP and HBP in the cinema next July. I have already signed several on-line petitions and have e-mailed every contact at WB that I have found on the net. Now I feel that that although I loved the trailer I will not go to see this film next July.

Avatar Image says:

oy vey. just because they’re not slitting their wrists or tearing their hair out our having over the top hysterical fits like the babyish rest of the fans doesn’t mean they’re not forming criticism. They questions WB’s actions, they criticized the announcement adn the words they used, they flat out called them on weird errors. That’s criticism. It’s not a whiny baby FIT. Is that what you guys wanted? I don’t want that from them under ANY circumstances. To be mean and rant and rail, no. To express valid criticism and point out flaws in logic, yes, and they did that. Jeez people, be disappointed, fine, but be rational about it. What good is it going to do you to be upset because they haven’t thrown a hissy fit like you’ve thrown? Go make a Facebook group or something. For the love of jeeeeeez.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, god. Pleaaasee, no Twilight talk! I really don’t wanna hear about it… haha.

Great episode, by the way <333

I missed Pottercast! You need to come back to the UK, again!

Avatar Image says:

i was really happy to hear that im not the only one NOT angry.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks oy vey and erika! My sentiments, again, exactly! You go, TLC. You guys rock! Thank you, again [I can’t say it enough!] :D

Avatar Image says:

It may be that WB with the success of Dark Knight believes they’ve more than met expectations for 2008 and are moving HBP to 2009 to prop up their prospects for that year. Maybe they don’t have confidence in their 2009 lineup.

Waiting has NOTHING to do with “maximizing” The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight has been out for over a month and by November will be a distant memory in theatres. HBP in November will not be cutting into the market for TDK which is already fading as the summer does.

I think the second-most simple explanation that people are overlooking (besides the obvious about profiteering) is that the movie just isn’t quite ready yet and they need more time in editing and post-production and perhaps even re-shoots. Maybe in writing Deathly Hallows they realized a few things they need to change in this movie to make the last films work.

I mean it took them until August to get the teaser trailer out to theatres. They didn’t know what a big hit TDK would be in advance, I think that’s just become a convenient excuse. If they had really intended to release HBP in November then the teaser would have been out in May or June as would have made sense.

As it is, the teaser is out in almost August, how long is the full length trailer going to take plus the whole marketing ramp up. It would be far too tight. I think they knew for a while that a delay would be a possibility and they waited until the last possible moment to see if it was possible to crunch the movie in.

Or maybe WB just didn’t like what they heard from the focus groups and want it worked on. Who knows? What I do know and what really rankles me is that the president’s explanation seems like bald-faced publicity spin and at best it’s a bit taunting to the fanbase to say the film is finished and in good condition.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who’s not extremely upset by this and I’d like to applaud the Pottercast Quartet for being mature and rational in their criticism. And yes, even without the ranting, it was criticism.

Yes, I was, like everyone else it seems, disappointed and let down at first. But, considering the late teaser (now an early teaser lol)- and the fact that it took forever to get the website up and the lack of photos/promotion- it wasn’t really that much of a shock. I think WB put so much energy into promoting TDK they sort of put HBP on the back burner, and now, even though I’m sad I have to wait a year, I’m glad the film is going to have plenty of time and energy devoted to its promotion. With the extra time the special effects and editing should be excellent.

So, you don’t have to like what the pottercasters said but please respect their right to express THEIR opinions without being rude and demanding that they share the opinion of the “majority of the fandom” as there are obviously others with different views than “die, WB, die”.

Avatar Image says:

looooooooooooooool!!! “die, WB, die”!!

Loved it, potterhead23!! ^^

Avatar Image says:

I’d just like to add something to the discussion. When WB puts the blame of HBP’s delay on the recent writer’s strike, they are being truthful. When the writers strike occured in the US last fall, the seasons of pretty much every television show, from Lost to Heroes to 24, were cut short…but at the time, many people in the know described how the strike would have a long lasting effect. For example, even though the strike ended, and some television shows went back into production for a few months before the summer, films were a different matter entirely. For those 3 months or so that the strike was going on, no major film scripts were being written or delivered to the studios. That means that the movies which should be coming out next summer weren’t written until three months too late. Therefore there would have to be some sort of window in the future to show that gap without writers. Rather than have a blatant three month period without movies at all, some of the companies are desperately trying to shuffle movies around and spread them out, to create the illusion that the strike had no effect on the industry. The sad thing is, they decided to take one of their best contenders, Harry Potter, and move it further down the line. It’s not necessarily the fact that they want to make more money, it’s the fact that they actually trust Potter to perform well, so they used it as the sacrificial lamb…something which will make 2008 and 2009 look balanced when the writers strike actually upset that balance. I hate the fact that I have to wait a whole year now to see this movie, and I hate the politically correct pseudo-speak that the “suits” give to explain their actions, but I do understand those actions. This is just another reason why producers should have been more active in avoiding the writers strike in the first place last fall…those with knowledge of the last writers strike knew that it would severly affect movie productions.

Avatar Image says:

Boycotting is not a “fanatical approach”, it’s simply the only form of criticism that WB will take any notice of whatsoever. They don’t care about anything we say as long as we end up going to the movie anyway. The only way they will take our criticism of this PR disaster seriously, therefore, is if we do NOT go to the movie. =)

And yes, of course TLC isn’t going to encourage much criticism of WB, they’re been given film media, tipoffs, statements, set visits and other benefits from WB. If WB thinks that TLC is helping to damage them financially I don’t doubt they would take those things away.

Avatar Image says:

And another little tidbit, folks…The Star Trek fans waiting for J.J. Abrams reboot of the series suffered the same thing…their movie was supposed to be out this Christmas, and they also have to wait until next summer. Again, it’s because of the writers strike. Even if the Dark Knight had bombed (which wasn’t very likely…and also please don’t say Heath Ledger’s death was the only reason people went to an excellent film…it belittles society as a whole if we’re all that morbid)...but even if it had bombed, WB, like all the film companies, would still be left with that gap in their production schedule. I don’t know how many of you know this, but in the weeks before the writer’s strike, there was this furious scramble by the producers to get as many scripts completed as possible, because they could see the strike looming. A lot of scripts were basically rushed into existence, and a lot of the movies being made off those scripts had to be filmed without the possiblity of rewrites or tweaks to the script, because of the strike. Therefore, when next summer comes around, I wouldn’t be surprised to see not only a highly reduced number of movies coming out, but I suspect they will also be of fairly low quality, because of the whole script issue. So WB took a completed film which they viewed and had faith in to be their anchor for next year. It’s the exact opposite of having doubts about the film or its quality. So there will not be any reshoots, nor do I foresee any radical new edits to the film. I think it will stay on some little shelf, as is, for the next year…David Yates obviously cut together the film the way he wants it, and even though some fans scream bloody murder for their idea of film “purity” (which entails copying the books word for word, rather than taking dramatic license to make a better movie), he most likely is satisfied with what he has.

Avatar Image says:

One other little thing before I go (this is the last one, I promise). I understand the concept of boycotting something because of anger at the parent company, and it’s true that sometimes boycotts do work, just like letter writing campaigns have worked to save tv shows that were in danger of cancellation. But if all of you who say you will boycott actually DO boycott, it might backfire on you in a way you don’t expect. If WB really is the soulless entity some of you claim it to be, then if they don’t see a good profit on this next Potter film, I would bet big money that they would outright pull the plug on the series. They might still make a last movie, but it will probably go direct to video, and will not be given the money or care needed to make it as good as it should be. If film companies can cancel plans to make franchises such as His Dark Materials or A Series of Unfortunate Events because of low ticket sales, then WB could do the same to Potter. And you wouldn’t be “teaching them a lesson”...they already have more money than they possibly need…all you would be doing is killing the franchise because it was delivered to you a few months late. While I don’t want to show support for WB itself, I do want to show support for the films, for the directors and actors who have taken such care in making them. That’s why, even though it will pain me to do so, I will go to this movie opening weekend.

Avatar Image says:

I was not at all perturbed about the HBP release switch. So what if its WB trying to make more money. It doesn’t matter. Its capitalism and this is America (or at least where WB is right?) people, get over it. Looking forward to the movie being great with great special effects. Woot the WB!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah because when TLC called WB out on photoshopping a poster, they were worrying about their tips and set visits. how quickly you forget.

Avatar Image says:

While Leaky are entitled to their opinion, I was a little surprised at how reserved they were about the HBP delay. It really seemed they were holding back and trying not to upset WB, so that they still get their exclusives and set reports. Fair enough, but still, they should have some journalist integrity and ethics and be a little bit more open on their opinion. Contrast this podcast with Mugglenet’s, and there is a huge difference. They at least seemed upset, voiced their complaints and really got into depth about it… I just am surprised at how nonchalant they were, I guess I expected a little bit of disappointment rather than such a clinical overview.

Avatar Image says:

Uh… if it’s NOT their opinion why should they fake it to meet some sort of “disgruntled threshhold”? Why can you not give benefit of the doubt and think that maybe that actually IS their opinin? this is the group that constanly shouts about how Gambon needs to read the script,a bout how Kloves gives Hermione all Ron’s lines, about how Alan Rickman kinda plays the same role in every film. Now they’re not pissed off enough for you? Maybe it’s becuase they’re really not that annoyed? And don’t have to go whining and screaming and carrying on like the rest of the fans and mugglecast? maybe they don’t see a changing of a movie date as a call to arms? It’s a MOVIE RELEASE DATE people. not the end of the world.

We hear their opinions loudly on everything up and down, and if they felt as childish as the rest of the fandom we’d hear that too. they don’t. thank goodness. I like a little maturity with my podcast.

Avatar Image says:

about how gambon needs to read the BOOKS, not script. sorry.

thank you, pc. for acting without the crazy that everyone else has had for breakfast.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I enjoyed PotterCast’s discussion of ReleaseDateGate.

Like the ‘Casters and like others in this thread, I am a bit disappointed but not militantly upset. It’s just business, it’s not the end of the world. Glad to know I’m not the only one who feels like this.

Avatar Image says:

Ala- All those things that you listed that they complain about are minor details, they don’t directly relate to WB. Clearly, with over a 1200 comments on the initial post about the release date, majority of which were negative, then it did cause some stir amongst the Harry Potter community. I would then feel that as people who devote a lot of their time and life to Harry Potter they would too feel the same and be upset, in turn, venting this upset nature. I’m purely speculating here, but they shouldn’t need to tone down their response (which is what I got out of the podcast) in order to not upset the WB. Yes, WB support the site, but that shouldn’t influence them in the way they report. Again, maybe that’s just how I heard things. No doubt other people would feel that Leaky simply weren’t upset with the film being pushed back another eight months….

As for the fandom being childish, I think that is far too extreme. People have the right to be upset. People have the right to make petitions, or Facebook groups, or whatever they feel the need to do. I don’t think it is childish, it’s people responding in a way they see fit. Were Jericho fans childish when they were upset that their show got cancelled and they sent peanuts to the network, only for their show to be renewed? They did something. Again, this just all comes back to people responding to the news in different ways. I guess that’s life…

Avatar Image says:

Nary: “causing a stir” in the harry potter community doesn’t mean they have to be as militant as everyone else, nor does it mean that if they are not, those aren’t valid opinions. You heard that WB is influencng them, I heard that they are people with opinions and these are them, and before I go with a negative assumption I’m going to offer benefit of the doubt.

Just because they devote a lot of time to Harry Potter doesn’t mean they have to mirror the majority fan reaction. Would we then be saying they had no brain of their own, that fans (who do support the site, more than WB, because pictures and whatnot would be public and gettable without WB sending them directly to TLC) dictate their every opinion.

Why specualte that they’ve toned their response in order not to upset WB? You have absolutely no evidence of that… why don’t I just say that you’re critical of them because clearly you’ve had a bad runin with them and are clearly against everything they do? I have just as much evidence to that. Or I can decide you’re a rival podcaster. Or I can decide you’re just an unpleasant person – what evidence do i have of any of that? NONE. That’s why I haven’t done it. I’ve given you the benefit of hte doubt.

For someone who seems to be arguing fairness in the face of disagreeing with allies, you sure aren’t dishing it out.

You may disagree with them, that’s your right. But to call their reactions DISINGENUOUS simply because you’ve decided they are? That’s unfair. That would be like me saying you’re from MuggleCast over here just to compare the podcasts and make bad analogies. I haven’t said that, because I have no evidence, and I wouldn’t suppose base behavior just because it seems to explain it. Why won’t you offer the pottercasters the same courtesy?

I heard some people who were upset that the movie was pushed, but weren’t being crazy about it. I don’t know where you get the idea they aren’t upset at all; they said it a bunch of times.

I do find, in my opinion, the facbook groups about, “SIT IN! NEVER BUY A WB ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!”, and the shouting and hollering and carrying on childish. Express disagreement, express disappointment, don’t act like a kid who’s been put in the corner unfairly. In short, take it like the PC guys did…like adults.

Avatar Image says:

I still firmly believe that pushing back the movie to a summer release is ridiculous and deceitful on WB’s part, and it shouldn’t be doubted that it was done for one main purpose: MORE MONEY. Plenty of Harry Potter films have been released around the holidays, so November being a poor time for a Harry Potter movie is not a valid excuse. It’s Harry Potter, so I can’t see how much more promotion it needed, especially when many fans were using that as a reason why WB may not bother producing a teaser-trailer for the film (and when they did, it was nearly neck-to-neck with the actual movie release). Also, WB stated earlier on that the writers’ strike would not affect film production, and on top of that, the film is complete, so they cannot use that as an excuse, either. I believe they wanted more profits from IMAX, because extra profits from splitting “Deathly Hallows” in two was not enough, apparently.

Regardless of what the reason is, however, I doubt they will change their minds to appease fans, most of whom will see the film next summer, despite their current fury. It’s worth a few seconds of writing a brief letter or signing a petition, I suppose, but as angry as I am with this disappointing news, I agree there are many, many, more important issues occurring in this world at present, and a lot of which are much more serious results of capitalism than a later movie release date. That aside, since we do have to wait longer, that’d better be one fantastic, kick-butt movie. Here’s hoping the entire film will be in 3-D, or that we’ll at least get an extended edition DVD including a gag reel.

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t bother me at all that they changed the date. I’m a HP fanatic because of the books, not the movies. The movies are just gravy. I actually hated the fact that OOP came out so close to Deathly Hallows. I thought OOP should have come out in the fall.

To me, this release date change is a blessing. I prefer to have my Harry spread throughout the year, not all at once. Now I will have Beedle the Bard for the holidays, HBP for the summer, the HBP DVD for next year’s holidays, and then the theme park.

Avatar Image says:

ahhh, finally, a new pottercast!!!!! i’ll have to listen to it later but i’m so super excited there’s a new one out… it’s about time!!! :D

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only person who has put two and two together and come up with Warner Bros. not wanting their boy wizard starring unclothed in ‘Equus’ on Broadway at the time of the “The Half Blood Prince” movie’s premiere?

Avatar Image says:

Ala, if you reread what I wrote I said that this was my opinion and that no doubt people would disagree with me and have another opinion. Surely, I am entitled to my opinion. There is no need for you to then contradict yourself and say that people should have their own opinions, people should be allowed to say what they want and then tell me that I am wrong simply for assuming something. Couldn’t I say that you are simply assuming that they are NOT being influenced by WB? Couldn’t that be just as wrong as my supposed wrong opinion?

I still love the site, I still loved this episode. It was great to hear the guys live again with an audience. I just simply picked up on something during the delay talk. Again, maybe it was just me. But surely I should be able to address that.

Likewise, you are forgetting, of course people are going to be childish about the release date change, after all, the books were originally aimed at children :P

Avatar Image says:

@ LV – Warner Brothers has been fully supportive of Dan’s other pursuits, including Equus.

Avatar Image says:

I was at first surprised by their reaction to the news, but I think i’ts helped me to calm down a bit. I’m still not happy about the change and the fact that the WB is only doing this for money, but I don’t want to rip their heads off anymore.

Avatar Image says:

Nary, I’ve never understood the “this is my opinion, I’m entitled to it, therefore you can’t argue against me” argument. When one posts their opinion on a public forum, they give permission to be challenged. Just as you have your right, we have the right to tell you you’re wrong. The truth is, you are being unfair. You’re OPINION is unfair. If you don’t care that you’re being unfair, well then, I guess that is just who you choose to be.

As for your “childish comment,” yes these books have a young audience, but Melissa, John, and Sue are not teenagers. They’re working adults, and therefore their opinions will reflect their demographic.

Avatar Image says:

By the way, If you guys want to hear more about what Melissa and Sue have to say about this, check out their blogs. Just look under the features tab at the top of the page, and click blogs.

Avatar Image says:

When an opinion includes an unwarranted accusation, it’s unfair, Nary. You can have all the opinions you want and not have the accusation.

Avatar Image says:

Agree wih “Kat” 100% in that the Leaky guys were too soft on WB.

They must know that a massive majority of their readers are furious with WB and the condescending way they explained the postponement, and Leaky’s first responsibilty must be to its fans and not to WB perks.

YEAY! FINALLY great show guys

Avatar Image says:

Regarding the trailer, interesting thought about how non-fans might be confused about “Harry Potter and the Endless Flashbacks.” My brother, who’s not terribly a fan, was excited about the idea of a whole movie being Voldemort’s past. When he found out they were just a couple pensieve scenes, he wasn’t disappointed, but it’s interesting to note that the very idea of Voldemort’s history was enough to excite him.

Avatar Image says:

like some people have said i was a bit disappointed when you were talking about the date change but i get what your saying :\ and after all WB are a business, they need to make money and do what iss best for them as a business but thats no excuse to take advantage of the fact that HP fans are desperate to see HBP and will go and see it when it comes out, whenever that is D: haven’t had chance to listen to the whole thing yet but shall be listening to the rest soon :]

Avatar Image says:

critterfur, by the time HBP will come out July, the DH production will be well underway (Heyman and Yates have said shooting on DH starts next February) and should HBP underperform (anyone who thinks HBP will bomb because of the fan reactions is kidding themselves, as the film will do boffo internationally), they’re still going to move forward with the final 2-parter.

It’d be far too expensive to halt the final film’s production in its tracks.

Avatar Image says:

In regards to your statement, Matthew…you may be right about film 7 continuing even if HBP bombs, but I may also be right that the DISTRIBUTION of the film may be much lower key if that happens…you can complete a movie that was intended to be released theatrically and have it debut on DVD instead, or vice versa…Toy Story 2 was orginally going to be shot as a direct-to-video release, and the decision was made fairly late in the game to release it theatrically. All I’m saying is, a sit-in or a strike or a boycott or whatever you want to call it, isn’t going to make a dent in WB’s armor…it might tick them off a bit, and they might decide to be petty and do just what I suggested they might do, but they already have millions if not billions from this franchise…they won’t be crippled or “taught a lesson” by a boycott. I’m less happy about all of this than anybody, but I can also see the futility of making a giant stink about it that will have virtually no effect. To a certain degree, some posters here are right in saying that there is nothing we can do, that we just have to take what WB dishes out. That’s life, sometimes. Not everything will pan out fair and balanced in every situation. I have no problem with people voicing their grievances, I have no problem with people being upset…any time you expect something in life and have it grasped away from you, it takes a moment to realize what just happened. But then you have to deal with it and move on. And I would also just like to repeat what I said before…The writer’s strike didn’t particularly affect HBP…Steven Kloves does happen to be an American, however, and therefore subject to WGA rules, so he probably wasn’t able to offer help in tweaking his script or last minute rewrites. The production is mostly British, although the production company happens to be American…and they have deferred to Rowling and the various American and non-American directors on many things…using an all British cast, for example, filming exclusively in Great Britain and not farming the production out to other countries (plenty of movies made in America are being farmed out to places like Canada and Prague, even though we have some of the best studios and film production facilities in the world). Anyways, even though the strikes affect on HBP was probably minimal, it wasn’t the case with many other movies on WB’s and other film companies slates…plenty of movies that had been planned to be released in summer 2009 were written three months later than expected, which means that production began three months later than expected, which means filming and editing began three months later than expected…everything gets pushed back. Because of that, WB and many other companies will be faced with a virtual wasteland once summer rolls around, because very few “big” films will be ready to go…WB weighed its options, and realized that it would be better to balance their schedule by shifting some of their material to next year, and not just the crappy stuff, but what they considered to be their ace movies. It’s like eating a meal…think of Dark Knight as a giant feast that they gobbled up, but they can’t really eat any more. They have to wait a while before they eat another meal. That’s balance.

Avatar Image says:

I guess what I’ve been trying to say is that the writer’s strike really did have a huge effect on film and television production, at least here in the States, and I don’t know if many people from other countries understand. Television shows that were just beginning were cancelled, because they didn’t have time to find an audience before the strike occured. Thousands upon thousands of people found themselves out of work for three months, or were outright fired from their jobs. Producers were so intent on not caving in that they flooded the networks with almost nothing but reality shows for three solid months, and stated that they had no qualms about doing this permanantly, since reality television is so cheap to produce (no hiring of actors or writing of scripts, and only bare bones sets to be built). You want to talk about greed, look at all of that. The entire creative mind of television writers would have been killed for the sake of keeping stuff on the air and continuing to rake in advertising dollars. Releasing the movie 8 months late is at least still releasing the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Still, even with the fans’ reactions over the move may mean a less-than-expected box-office cume for HBP, I doubt Warners will release DH direct to DVD and high-def… if anything the marketing for DH will be lower-key and it will still be released to theaters.

Avatar Image says:

Another awesome podcast. One criticism.

I thought you guys just ignored the Ron and Hermione stuff, but you didn’t even mention Ron’s appearence in the trailer! It was him, lying on the ground, after being poisoned! How could you overlook that!

Are you ignoring Ron completely now?

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t enjoy those”tour shows”? Can’t wait until we get some updated “traditional one” :)

Avatar Image says:

You may be right, Matthew, but if you are, is that still a good outcome? What I’m saying is, what do the fans really want to get out of this? I know that some fans think the threat of a boycott alone will scare the bejeezus out of WB and MAKE them release the film in November, but that’s looking less likely every day. If they do boycott, and the film underperforms…what then? Let’s just say that WB does feel the effect of such a mass boycott, and regrets moving the film from its original slot…what will that prove? That they won’t do it again? It still won’t turn back time and make it so the film is released in November, so have the fans really gotten their way in any shape or form? The film will do poorly, people will start to give up on Potter the way they are giving up on the Narnia series (only two films in, I might add), and what should be a triumphant final chapter will be just blah. Will the average fan really feel good about that situation? Will they feel vindicated? The suffering on the part of WB will be barely noticeable, you understand. They may acknowledge that fans have some power over the final product, but they most likely won’t change their minds. When fans nearly universally thought George Lucas’ Special Editions of Star Wars were actually worse than the originals, Lucas didn’t care, claiming that from now on these were the official versions. When the television show Jericho was about to be cancelled, and was saved at the last minute by a massive fan campaign, the victory was short-lived, because the majority of people still didn’t watch the show and it got cancelled anyway. If boycotting the film makes you feel good about yourself, fine. If it really is a moral stand you feel you are taking, fine. But if you believe you will somehow hurt WB the way you all feel you have been hurt, you’re sadly mistaken.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t listen to PC, but, to clear it up, WB moved the premiere for HBP because they weren’t expecting so many people to be fans of Twilight, and then to have to come out two weeks after HP had just hit the BO, it would have been a serious blow if it didn’t “roll in all the dough” so they figure, “we’ll just push it back and say it’s for the best and everyone will be happy.”

Well, I’m not happy. If HP can’t take a little…friedly competition now, then what are they gonnado next year, or the year after when Twilight’s coming out with New Moon and Eclipse as movies at the same time as HP? Move that date, too?

I respected WB until this decision. Now they’re just like every other major corporate company out there, just bent on big buck, and not that fans.

And that’s really sad, considering how long HP has been out there.

Write a Reply or Comment