Dan Radcliffe Gives NYT Talk, Discusses DH and More

265

Aug 20, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Previously we told you that actor Dan Radcliffe would be part of a special New York Times Talks event, in preparation for his appearance on Broadway in the production of “Equus.” That event took place tonight in NYC, and there is an early report online that contains a bit of news from Dan regarding “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” UPDATE: Clarifying their original report that Gary Oldman would appear in “Deathly Hallows,” the article has been modified to read that “Dan stated that Sirius was in the script for Deathly Hallows in regards to ‘The Forest Again’ scene. He also mentioned that the shoot for the last films will be 14 months long, which will start next February.” This revision clarifies that no statements were actually made confirming the appearance and return of Gary Oldman as Sirius Black in “Deathly Hallows.”

Snitchseeker has more from the event, which you can read via this link, where Dan says that he was notified of the decision to delay the release of “Half-Blood Prince” 24 hours before Warner Bros went public with the news. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released on July 17, 2009, and as noted below, tonight WB president Alan Horn confirmed the November 2010 release of “Deathly Hallows,” with part two of “Deathly Hallows” reportedly due in May 2011.

UPDATE 2 TLC reader and staff member Chaya emailed to say she attended the talk tonight in NYC, and wrote that in regards to the Gary Oldman matter “An audience member asked him what part of the 7th movie he was most excited to film, to which he responded (loosely quoted) the end really, mostly the walk in the forest as that is the most emotional part. He followed that by saying he would also be really excited if they did not cut the scene and he got another chance to do a scene with Gary Oldman.” Chaya also let us know that Dan spoke highly of his co-star Richard Griffiths (who also portrays Uncle Vernon in the Potter films) and joked around with the crowd, saying something along the lines of “for instance when Radcliffe said, regarding American audiences in comparison to British audiences, that over here (in the US) we get “Equus” more because more Americans are in therapy. Radcliffe went on to say in England the conversation goes more like “You’re depressed, go walk it off. “

UPDATE 3 Snitchseeker’s full report is now online, here, with additional photos from the event here via Film Magic.

Thanks to Snitchseeker and Chaya for mailing!

43 Responses to Dan Radcliffe Gives NYT Talk, Discusses DH and More

Avatar Image says:

Well hopefully this is one scene they won’t screw up – especially considering its my favorite from the entire series…

Avatar Image says:

ARE YPU SURE THAT THE 7TH HARRY POTTER IS GOING TO BE LET OUT IN theaters on two seperate daYS?

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I believe they will be six months apart. I’m glad Gary Oldman is coming back, I like him as Sirius.

Avatar Image says:

Alan, Yes, Deathly Hallows will be a 2 part movie.

Avatar Image says:

it’s like a obi-wan “ben” kenobi ghost type, right? i sure hope so. it’s great to find out from the cauldron that gary oldman is coming back with playing sirius black once more. He’s never ever gone.

Avatar Image says:

Here is some news to make you happy! :~)

Finally some good news.

Avatar Image says:

Thats great I hoped he would. I want the last movie as close as possible. So I look forward to seeing Gary again. He was great as comminsioner Gordon as well.

Avatar Image says:

Come on guys, lets not make every bit of news an angry affair! Lets savor the little bit of good news we can get, huh! Anyways, this is great news! I was worried they were going to leave out that amazing part. It is the most powerful emotionally charged moment in the entire series. I cant wait to see when Harry is stumbeling into the forest, freaked out about dying and he slips on the ring and shabaam, his parents, Sirius and Lupin show up! Not a dry eye in the cinema!!! Yeah for Gary Oldman!!!!

Awesome!

Avatar Image says:

oh goody I like Gary Oldman a lot. His OOTP discussion with harry about dark and light over christmas break really showed me how emotionally diverse he can be with Sirius. I really hope he brings a lot to the forest/ring scene.

Avatar Image says:

He did not say that Gary Oldman would definitely be back. What he said was that if they keep the scene in the forest exactly like it was in the book, then that would mean he could work with Gary Oldman again. He made that statement in response to someone asking him which scene he was looking most forward to filming for DH.

Avatar Image says:

cant amagine anyone but gary oldman for the part hope comes back

Avatar Image says:

Excellent! I love Gary Oldman.

Avatar Image says:

i agree with Lulu. I was at the interview as well (amazing experience by the way) and he DID NOT say Gary Oldman would be coming back. He said that he was most looking forward to filming the Forest scenes because if everything was done correctly he’d get the chance to work with Gary Oldman again because he loved working with him. All he said was that he hopes/wishes they bring Gary Oldman back for that scene in DH.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t want to stir up trouble, as this is quoted from a fellow fansite who apparently had a representative at the event, but…

I think that’s a bit of an overstatement of what he actually said tonight. He was asked what he was most looking forward to filming, and mentioned the forest scene at the end, because he feels it’s even more emotional than the final battle with Voldemort. He added – after he had made several comments throughout the Q&A about enjoying the scenes he’d done with Gary Oldman – that he might get a bit of a hello with Gary in that scene.

There was absolutely nothing about Sirius being in the script, and it would be hard for Dan to have read it. The last we heard, Kloves had just finished a first draft of the first half of DH, and had only begun writing the second half. It is way too soon to even think about whether Oldman will be back. I’m sure most of us remember how late in the game it was (or how late it seemed) when he was finally confirmed for OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

That good news i want to see Sirius Black again he is great!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Lulu is correct. As he has said on past occasions, he is looking forward to the scene where he walks into the forest again (and we do know Geraldine Somerville will be back for that). He talked a lot about Gary Oldman tonight, and noted that he hadn’t seen him for a while, and he hoped he could work with him again, if the scene was kept the same and Oldman signed on for the film.

Avatar Image says:

I was at the interview tonight and it was simply an amazing experience. In response to the article on the fansite I agree with Lulu and the others. Dan did not say that Gary Oldman would be in DH for sure. He hope that the directors would keep the script the way it is so he would have the opportunity of working with Gary again.

I loved when Dan said that more people in the U.S are in therapy than in England…was quite funny. Overall a great experience to see Dan, I am definitely going to see him on broadway in Eqqus. Cannot wait!

Avatar Image says:

Why is the Oldman comment being picked up on (and apparently incorrectly)? I heard that he commented on the fans being upset and that he understood the intensity of it.

I hope he was asked some intelligent questions.

From the Snitchseeker article:

On acting:

Dan said his ‘dream role’ would be Puck from Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”; as well as a role in the musical “Company.” He would also like to do musical theater, in spite of being traumatised at a young age by being exposed to Chicago via his parents’ love for the theatre.

Get out! Daniel Radcliffe wants to do musical theater! And he seems to be a Sondheim fan! Now that makes me happy.

Avatar Image says:

oooohh, i hope gary oldman is indeed in DH… POA was the first movie of his i’d ever seen, & the more i see of him outside HP the more i really really like him…. but i refuse to get my hopes up too much, since we’ve all seen what warner brothers can do to spoil people’s anticipations… ::crosses fingers::

Avatar Image says:

Dan is so funny! And talented, and modest, and gracious, and well-spoken … I’m going to be so proud to call him my son-in-law someday.

Avatar Image says:

I’m so glad we have some good news! :P

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m crossing my fingers for Gary again! I just love him…he’s just so amazing to watch and I really do love his portrayal of Sirius in particular. The whole Forest Again scene was definitely my most favorite scene out of all the books. I really hope they do their absolute best to make it as emotional as it was in the book….

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps the US books are slightly different from our UK editions but there is no reference to Harry ‘putting the ring on’ in our editions. He presses the snitch to his mouth & says I’m about to die & the snitch opens, the resurrection stone falls out & he turns this over 3 times in his hand & Liy, James, Remus & Sirius appear.

Is the US book different to this? I’d be intersted to know.

GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wouldn’t May 2nd be the best release date for the last film? It’s the anniversary.

Avatar Image says:

can someone tell me why i can’t log in. it keeps saying my username or address is incorrect. i can’t log in so this is the only place i can comment. could someone please tell me how i can log in. i can’t log in anywhere on the site. please tell me what i can do…

Avatar Image says:

good news!thanks to Dan for telling.

Avatar Image says:

oh, something good is happening. I was sure they weren’t going to put that scene in the film… I want to se Sirius again!

Avatar Image says:

daniel said “this wouldn’t have any effect on the DH filming schedule or releases”. and he talk about dyspraxia. daniel radcliffe very funny,smart and good actor.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure, somewhere in the more than 200 posts, here someone has mentioned. The reason ‘Deathly Hallows’ was cut into two parts is: they aren’t cutting ANYTHING from the book, to make this movie! As far as certain aspects [I don’t think Serius has any lines] that can be done with CGI! Example: “lift” him out of some already used footage, and “insert” him, walking with the others….This movie is going to be outstanding! The fact that the two [well three, if you count ‘Deathly Hallows’ as three] is going to be about 6 months appart! I think it was stated that the period between ‘Half Blood Prince’ and ‘Deathly Hallows: Part One’ would be 18. That’s about the length of your average “sequel” movie! This is all great news, gang! Thanks, Leaky, for again bringing “the latest news” You’re great!

Avatar Image says:

They’d better not cut that scene. We might need therapy if that scene doesn’t make the cut.

Avatar Image says:

Ugh, I can’t get the full report on Snitchseeker to load and I’m about to freak out! Need Dan info now!

Avatar Image says:

I went last night as well and had the great fortune of asking him a question about Wizard Rock and he was very pleasant and quick witted. A real sweetheart and I can’t wait to see him in Equus.

Avatar Image says:

That’s amazing: “You’re depressed, go walk it off.” Rofl.

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could have been there for this! I am so excited to see Dan in Equus, I’m going October 19th. His comment about more Americans are in therapy than Brits (I’m an America and this is so true) and that in England its “you’re depressed, go walk it off” gave me a good laugh! One thing thats been bothering me is all of this crap about Dan’s being in Equus as the real reason HBP was pushed back and WB not even defending him. We all know that Dan has nothing to do with it. Anyway, I really hope that they stay true to the book for the forest scene and bring Gary Oldman back because that will make the most amazing scene ever! I can’t wait for DH because its my favorite book!

Avatar Image says:

Siriusly they better bring Gary Oldman back! Thats the one scene that I’m looking forward to seeing the most.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe so many fans want Gary Oldman back in DH! Sirius wasn’t summoned back in the Ring/Forest scene why do you want the film to veer further from the book? If I had my way there would be a series made for tv, completely matched to the happenings from the books.

Avatar Image says:

xeno, unless you were reading a totally different version of DH to me.. sirius was summoned back by the ring/stone.. lilly, james, lupin and sirius were.. but only as ‘pale imitations’.

i also don’t get why some people are saying stuff like ‘i cant imagine anyone but gary oldman as sirius’ i don’t think the question is whether they’ll get someone else to be sirirus, surely they couldn’t change who portrayed sirius!!? it’s whether that scene is how it is in the book, in the actual movie.

kinda confused.

Avatar Image says:

I’m sure Gary Oldman will come back to reprise his role as Sirius, as he likes working with Dan and stuff. Judging by how many people are already on board to star in DH (the trio, Isaacs, Carter, Rickman, Walters, McCrory, Somerville, et al), I wouldn’t be surprised if Oldman and Fiennes would be one of the last actors to sign on for the final two films.

And anyone who dares blame Daniel Radcliffe for the HBP move deserves to have their mouth sewn up permanently; just because he was told earlier about the move before anyone else was, doesn’t mean he was the one who made the decision. He’s an actor, not a studio exec at Warner Brothers.

Avatar Image says:

I agree Matthrew, it’s completely insane and unfair to blame Dan for that. He is not WB, he doesn’t have the power to decide these things. WB people have their reasons to delay the movie, which is as simple as: to make more money. They think they will make more money during the summer because there will be less competition and because the last HP movie, OotP, was released during the summer and was the one to make more money since the first HP movie. And one of the reasons was thanks to Dan, he had many proyects that year, so while he promoted them, he promoted HP too. HP was in the headlines all the year thanks to Dan and that made OotP to make a lot of money. He works very hard for these movies and some fans thank him in this way? What an unfair fandom… poor Daniel, I don’t know how hw manage to deal with these things. The saddest thing is to see WB doesn’t defend him, they know perfectly well they are the ones who took this decision and they are letting some people to blame an actor who has nothing to do with it and who has made them earn many millions of dolars.

Write a Reply or Comment