Possible Post Series Video Games in the works for EA?

117

Aug 21, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is more online today, regarding the future of the Harry Potter video games, and a possible extension of the games post “Deathly Hallows.” In a new interview with Jonathan Bunney, an executive producer with EA, makers of the Harry Potter video games, the future looks bright for future game plans post book seven. Quotage:

‘EA hopes to make the Boy Who Lived continue to entertain game fans, even after the two-part “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” has bowed out of theaters. “I think that’s a great opportunity,” Wiimote-clutching “Harry Potter” executive producer Jonathan Bunney told MTV News last week at an EA summer press event. “Certainly, we’ve done it with ‘Lord of the Rings.’ We’ve extended beyond the movies there. We did it with James Bond for a while. I don’t know what we’ll do with ‘Harry Potter.’ It’d be fun to, I think. There’s more stories that we can tell.” As Bunney points out, this isn’t without precedent. “Lord of the Rings” happily carried on in the interactive world past its original trilogy with new stories and interpretations.”

Mr. Bunney also said the possibility exists for the company to go back and revisit the first Harry Potter video games, given the advancements in technology since the first in the series were made available. “There’s an opportunity to go back to the original movie,” he said. “The technology has moved on so much. When we were first making those games, we were making it for PlayStation 1, and now we’ve got, you know, the Wii. I think there’s opportunities to [revisit stories]. “We have to figure out whether anyone wants to buy those or not!” he added with a laugh.

The subject of a possible online game was again addressed, with the producer re-iterating what he stated previously, as the article notes that “Warner Bros. has said they’re interested in producing an online “Harry Potter,” and so is EA. “We’ve talked about it a lot,” Bunney said. “The reality is that we’re focused on the movie games. I think there could be a fun MMO for ‘Harry Potter.’ “

64 Responses to Possible Post Series Video Games in the works for EA?

Avatar Image says:

I hope so….But Jo has to approve this first! I would love to have all them on Wii!!!

first comment (unless someone beats me too it) YAYAYY

Avatar Image says:

damn someone beat me too it D:

Avatar Image says:

COOL!!! I think it would be awesome if there was an online Harry Potter game, or if EA went back and redid the first game. I would totally buy whatever games they would come out with after the seventh and eighth movies. 4TH COMMENT!!! (I think)

Avatar Image says:

That would actually be really, really cool if they did games that took place after the series… as long as Jo approves of the storyline, of course. I’d play for sure.

Avatar Image says:

That would be cool but really what does jo think about it…it would be going beyond canon…..kinda into fan fiction.

Avatar Image says:

We really could use a good harry potter mmorpg with a good curse filter and expert GM’s to keep it a safe and fun enviorment for fans of all ages.

I hope that they do!

Avatar Image says:

Hmm they had better not screw up a post series game! In my opinion, there should be at LEAST two games, described briefly:

- the big huge harry potter 1-7 game with 2010-20’s graphics. Harry’s persective. 200% hogwarts roaming. -MMORPG. play as a student. HUGE hogwarts.

And possibly a non-online version of above. Oh and I'd buy any and every game that has harry potter in its title (might buy the lego ones later). I really hope the games don't end at DH (II?)
Avatar Image says:

“We have to figure out whether anyone wants to buy those or not!”

I think the fandom has pretty much proven that they wouldn’t have a problem with that.

And a MMORPG for Potter would be fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

That’s interesting that they’re considering going back to Philosopher’s Stone and updating it.

I really think WB will do the same thing with the movies. “Philsopher’s Stone: Special Edition” or something, with redone special effects, and maybe a few added scenes, re-released to theatres a few years after DH pt 2.

Avatar Image says:

that sounds so cool but i hope they mean more on the line of you having your own character, not on the Next Generation thing. that would be a bit boring

Avatar Image says:

Thaat would be awesome if they went back and redid the earlier games- I would definitely buy them! First!

Avatar Image says:

whoah! just kidding- TLC was screwed pu for me with the comments. definitely NOT first ;)

Avatar Image says:

sounds alright, i want them to make a new realistic quidditch game!

Avatar Image says:

That’s really cool! I would be excited to see more video games, as long as it doesn’t start getting ridiculously far-fetched and boring.

Avatar Image says:

Woo Harry Potter online would be sa-weet!! :)

Avatar Image says:

Coming soon from EA Sports: Quidditch world Cup 2012!

Maybe a RTS based on the first Valdie war

cool=]

Avatar Image says:

wooo, i think that would be good. it would certainly make me happy !

WARNER BROTHERS SUCKS. SEND IN HOWLERS !

Avatar Image says:

A Harry Potter MMO? If that happens in the future, count me in! : )

Avatar Image says:

If they do the online game thing, would any of us ever get out of it? I’m voting no, just becuase ut’s a health hazzard, people. Just kidding. It’d be awesome.

Avatar Image says:

If they do the online game thing, would any of us ever get out of it? I’m voting no, just because it’s a health hazzard, people. Just kidding. It’d be awesome.

yay

Avatar Image says:

It could be fun to play a game about the trio’s kids or the Marauders as long as Jo Rowling is consulted with about canon.

Avatar Image says:

I hope they’ll make a game where you can follow the lessons at Hogwarts! Not in the boring way of the idea but lessons like Potions (as in the sixth game but more sophisticated idk if it’s written like that => i’m from Belgium) and Transfiguration (not theoratical but with practise modes) and Spells and Defense against the Dark Arts and so on. And then you’ll have a kind of exam (Owl’s). I’d like that. I don’t know how you think about it but I love that idea.

Avatar Image says:

This would be very interesting…

Avatar Image says:

They should make a better Quidditch game!

Avatar Image says:

well thats exciting! something else to look forward to after the movies are finished! i really hope that should they make new storylines for new games that those storylines aren’t stupid but hopefully they could get some help from Jo?? it would be cool to see them go back and revisit the first movies and have an MMO too! is this first post?

o ha ha no

Cool! First???

Avatar Image says:

dang it, not even close. oh well….. = ] I really hope they decide to do this…. that would be awesome

LOL pottercast sooo called that! a Harry Potter World of Warcraft hehe

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I love EA because they make such good games and very good decisions. Being as I love that EA continues to make Lord of the Rings games, I am very excited.

Avatar Image says:

Leaky, can you please fix this post. The comments only appear if you post a comment.

Avatar Image says:

As a future game programmer, EA, I know you have been strange and “challenging everything” in the past but please please please lemme help you make HP MMO! I know C++ and if you give me a few years I will learn more! Hire me!

Avatar Image says:

Ooh…A “LotR: The Third Age” type game with the Harry Potter universe would be amazing!!

Avatar Image says:

First? I think I would buy the Harry Potter games if they were remade. It would depend on whether they changed the game at all. I wouldn’t buy a repeat of the game, if that’s what they did.

Avatar Image says:

My computer isn’t showing comments for this article! I hate technology.

Avatar Image says:

that would be great, especially to go back and re-do the previous games for PSP 3 and the Wii with the new technology.

YES!!! YES!!! MMO PLEASE! <3

Avatar Image says:

This would be great! They would have no problem in Potter fans wanting this. Or redoing the original ones. WEEEEE!!! And that have to make an online Harry game. That would be Wicked! :)

First post? No, really?

Anywho, AWESOMEPANTS. The future is bright for an HPMMORPG! Also , I REALLY want a new, really good Quidditch game. If they really put thought and time into it, the sheer fact that such a thing existed would make the universe explode.

AND IT WOULD BE AWESOME.

Avatar Image says:

I knew my browser was lying to me…

Avatar Image says:

Ooh, I can see it now! A Harry Potter: Battle for Hogwarts real-time strategy game. I’d play as the house elves, of course.

Avatar Image says:

OOH! Or how about SimGringotts?

Okay, okay, I’m going to bed now because this is getting ridiculous.. hehehe.

THat would be awesome.

Avatar Image says:

Not that I have a wii – or playstation for that matter, I used the computer – but that would be really cool!

Avatar Image says:

I hope they do that . it would be great! the re-make of all the previous HP games, the games post-deathly hallows and the MMO!!

Avatar Image says:

Are they splitting the Deathly Hallows into two game?

What’s the first one going to be about, befriending Krecher and camping around the British countryside?

With the whole virtual school already built, I think they should do the first one (at least) over again. Though if they abridge the story the way they did in the OotP game, I don’t see why they can’t fit the whole series into one game.

Avatar Image says:

hopefully they will go back and redo the first games but as they said will people be willing to buy a game that they bought when it first came out

as for the harry potter MMO, while it does sound good, J K Rowling did say a long time ago that she would release the rights for game makers to create a harry potter MMO, and its only the game companies that are making noise about it, so it might not even happen.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome. As an avid gamer and a tech geek, I really am happy about that considering the brilliant quality of the games today compared to the retro awesomeness of the PS1 games. And the LOTR games made after the films are pretty good (I have the third age for PS2)

first comment!

first comment?

Avatar Image says:

i guess they didnt load properly

Avatar Image says:

I would love it if they made more games after the movies are done. That way we would still have more to look forward to.

Avatar Image says:

i’d buy sorcerer’s stone for the wii

Avatar Image says:

On the delay: “industry analysts expect them to follow in Warner Bros. footsteps.” Le Poo! They should go back and do a proper Quidditch one, the world cup one was crap- and missing world champions Ireland. What’s the deal with that?! They should do like a FIFA style league so I can play as my home town Ballycastle Bats. That would be kick ass cool!

How about no?

Who wouldn’t love that?

Though I am sceptical to the whole idea of telling new stories… They should stick to canon as background for the game, even an MMO game. But they could enable you to make your own characters, and your own adventures at Hogwarts (and beyond?) I’m thinking Sims meet Wii-game for OotP….

Dreaming a bit

Avatar Image says:

I would love to see a HP MMO!!!!! WOOOOT!

Avatar Image says:

Why can’t I see any of the comments on my browser?

Avatar Image says:

I think they should do a World of Harry Potter on the internet where you can start off going to school and learning Magic and everything and then you go out into the world and get a job, get paid and then you can apparate all over the place. do spells on people, join the Death Eaters or the Order of the Phoenix, take down the Ministry, Teach at Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

They should also do a Harry Potter from Series 1 to 7 like they did on LOTR. They should redo Quidditch World cup and make it so that you can make your own Quidditch team and you are able to trade players and play normally like they did in Quidditch World Cup.

A Game of Harry Rounding up Death Eaters after he joins the Aurors at the Ministry. Him and Ginny falling in love and going out on Dates, sort of Sims, Meet Bulls meet Harry Potter.

Do a game of James and Lily Potter before they had Harry and after they had harry when they were killed. Like missions for the Order of the Phoenix.

redo each Harry Potter Game and make sure that you can access the same thing in each one like going down into the Chamber of Secrets. But not until you are able to in the Game not like going down into the Chamber in Philosopher Stone. use Buttons for spells like move the controller stick to produce them because that is hard to do in a Harry and when you are under attack.

Write a Reply or Comment