Cheryl Klein and the Matter of Harry Potter Trivia

113

Aug 27, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Cheryl Klein, Senior Editor at Arthur A. Levine Books, is the subject of a new interview, where she briefly discusses her work as Continuity Editor on the Harry Potter books published by Scholastic. Cheryl, who is to be a judge at a Harry Potter Trivia contest at the Decatur Book Festival in Georgia on August 30th, gives a bit of insight regarding her role with the books and more as follows:

Q: What does a continuity editor do?

A: Continuity editor is a title we made up to describe what I was doing on the Harry Potter books, which was keeping track of all the facts. There’s copy editing facts, like Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. Every time that it appears, does Every Flavor have a hyphen in it? Do we take out the “u” from “flavour” for the Americanized spelling? And I also help the primary editor keep track of where all the characters are, where all the magical implements are, ˜cause the plotting is so intricate.

Q: Did you ever catch a mistake that Rowling made, like a line where Snape has three kids named Moe, Larry and Curly?

A: Changes like that did come up. Talking about them is a little like violating lawyer-client privilege. It’s the author’s job to talk about those.

Q: Now that the Potter books are all done, what are you doing?

I’m back to my full-time job, which is editing other books for Scholastic.

Q: Have you done a lot of Harry Potter trivia contests?

A: I’ve never actually overseen a Harry Potter trivia contest. But I love trivia and I love Harry, so that will be great.

Q: If this is your first time as a judge, how are you preparing?

A: I hope to have all seven books with me. Oftentimes my job with Harry is not so much knowing all the facts myself, but like a good librarian, knowing where the facts are located. If somebody says when was the Wizarding Statute of Secrecy put in, my job is knowing where we can find that information verified in the books.

You can learn more about Cheryl Klein via her website, here. Be sure to check out some of the highlights from her keynote speech that she gave recently at the Terminus Harry Potter convention via this link.

26 Responses to Cheryl Klein and the Matter of Harry Potter Trivia

first comment – YAY!!

Avatar Image says:

*Sorry about the excitment.

Sounds like a tricky job but it’d probably be quite good!

MOREOVER, DOES ANYBODY HAVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS HARRY POTTER TRIVIA CONTEST ALSO WHEN AND WHERE IT IS?!

Many thanks (Laurel)

Avatar Image says:

Sorry I’ve just re-read the article and answered my own questions!

I can a bit dreamy sometimes! – (That’ a nice way to put it!)

Avatar Image says:

I met Cheryl at Terminus and she’s pretty much amazing, not to mention very clever and wry. She made me feel really good, too, when she committed my name to memory without us even being formally introduced. I had a fangirl moment when we came upon each other in the hall and she asked “Hey, Ashley, where is everyone?” I can’t even remember people’s name when I TRY, let alone just absorb them from the atmosphere of a room. That’s talent!!

Avatar Image says:

So, you could have Cheryl around, or you could use the Lexicon (well, for the first six books, anyway).

Avatar Image says:

I’d perfer Cheryl anyday.

What House do you think she’d be in??

Avatar Image says:

Sorry about the double post.

(By the way don’t ask why I said “What house do you think she’d be in?” It’s just most of the time I do it sub-consiously and I just than happened to see that I had already posted that question!!) Lol x

Does anybody else find themselves putting people you don’t really know and people you do know really well ito houses? (Or is that just me?!)

Avatar Image says:

How fun! I ran 2 trivia contests for a Farscape convention. The preparation for a TV show’s kinda wild, but similar. I watched the video copies of the show (DVDs weren’t out yet) and wrote down all kinds of questions as I watched. Fortunately, spelling doesn’t count (how do you spell “Qualta”? “Kwalta”?)

Thank God for laptops and pause buttons!

Avatar Image says:

“I’d bet on Ravenclaw cuz she sounds really clever has good attention to detail and is obviously talented!”

Avatar Image says:

what a cool job ….. she would definitely be in ravenclaw

LOL!

She said Horcri!

Avatar Image says:

How fun! I was planning on going to the Decatur Book Festival anyway. It is well worth attending (this is the third year it’s been presented), but I was not aware of the HP Trivia contest – all the more reason to go! If only Jo Rowling would be there too (sigh). . .

Avatar Image says:

I’m so exited! I was going to the Decatur Book Festival anyway, but now I have something Potter to look forward too on top of it all! I didn’t know about the trivia contest either…they should really advertise it more, a lot more people will come.

Avatar Image says:

What an awesome job! I wonder if she was the continuity editor since the first book or came in after a few were already out…

Avatar Image says:

I just read some of Cheryl’s site and linked into her blog from there – both well worth exploring. I encourage those of you who are aspiring writers to go on over and look at these two sites – great stuff. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Leaky.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry about the excitment.

Sounds like a tricky job but it’d probably be quite good!

Many thanks (Laurel)

*I very rarely see someone with my name, so I just had to say “Hi!”

(Mellie, I didn’t want you to get us confused. In the ((sort of)) words of Hermione, how many “Laurels” do you know?

Avatar Image says:

“Nothing against the lady personally, but given the errors upon errors in the later books, I’m not particularly convinced of her editing talents.”

I’m not convinced there are tangible errors. Why don’t you list them, August?

Avatar Image says:

Sounds like fun! I bet Cheryl’ll do a great job with it. I mean, she shoud be one of the top three most qualified people for it, surpassed by J.K.Rowling herself, and possibly by the UK continuity editor..!

As for sorting Cheryl, I would say Rawenclaw as well. If you check out her blog, she has pretty detailed ideas of how things should be done in writing, she must be disiplined, and as she works with fiction I wouldn’t be surpriced if she’s creative.

Potter has been the topic of a game trivia show in Norway, at least once. That was great fun to watch ;-)

hallo, gmn kbrny daniel. kpn2 dtng dunk k indonesia

Avatar Image says:

Laurel: “Mellie” the only Laurel I happen to know is me!

Is your name Laurel as well than??

Oh and by the way Mararder what “errors” are there in the later books? That make you “not convinced of her editing talents?” !!!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve just read her speech (it’s online on her website) and it made me cry – great ideas, she’s so right.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone keeping count of ‘T’s? I think Cheryl’s up to…9…HOTTTTTTTTT….yea that looks about right! XD

Avatar Image says:

She is a Ravenclaw for sure! She is so smart and witty, and she’s done a great job of editing the books!! Rock on Cheryl!

Avatar Image says:

This is cool and quite interesting! :)

Avatar Image says:

I had a job this summer with a non-profit that was helping to organize/work on the Decatur Book Festival and I didn’t know she was coming! Now I wish i didn’t have to miss it because of school.

As for where and when, it’s in Decatur, Georgia about 30 minutes outside Atlanta and it’s all day on th 30th of August. Should be really fun, there’s Dragoncon that weekend too which I think there is a Harry Potter segment of.

MY DREAM JOB!!!!!!!!! 8D DROOLS