WB Files Suit Over “Hari Puttar” Film Title In India

116

Aug 27, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The BBC is reporting that Warner Bros. has filed suit against a film company in India for infringing on intellectual property rights in titling an upcoming movie: “Hari Puttar – A Comedy Of Terrors.” A spokesperson confirmed that a lawsuit was filed against Mirchi Movies and is expected to be heard before the Bombay High Court. According to the article, WB felt the title was ‘too similar to that of its world famous young wizard.’ Deborah Lincoln, a spokesperson for WB, is quoted as saying: “We have recently commenced proceedings against parties involved in the production and distribution of a movie entitled Hari Puttar.” Munish Purii, from Mirchi Movies, is also quoted in the article, relating that “We registered the Hari Puttar title in 2005 and it’s unfortunate that Warner has chosen to file a case so close to our film’s release.” The report goes on to note in regards to the title of the film, ‘Hari is a popular Indian name while Puttar means son in Punjabi.’ “Hari Puttar – A Comedy Of Terrors” is slated for release in India on September 12.

101 Responses to WB Files Suit Over “Hari Puttar” Film Title In India

Avatar Image says:

look now warner bros is trying to move another movies release date to July

Avatar Image says:

Second to post? It doesn’t matter… I really believe that is absurd: WB can’t be that paranoic to try to stop a movie that coincidentially sounds like HP. What is going on with them? Considering that I am not upset at them (that much) beause of the movie delay. I promise. I hope the indian producers win the case. Pickles. Bye…

Avatar Image says:

Geez WB just thinks they’re god and they can do whatever they please. The title has nothing to do with the boy wizard and like they said Puttar is a word in their language. Gimmie a break…

Avatar Image says:

:( im not upset with WB for the date thing but i am upset about this. it doesnt sound like it means anything even along the lines of harry potter

Avatar Image says:

im sorry but i saw this and just burst out laughing

Avatar Image says:

Is the movies about wizards or anything or is it just the name that is similar?

Avatar Image says:

Wow really WB? Like I’d understand if it was a complete rip off of the Harry Potter series but the name?! It sounds nothing like a magical movie. Comedy of Terror. This is getting really pathetic. I have never really been a WB fan but lately any desire to have any part of their company even if that means missing the last movies, well I will stop if more of this happens.

Give the movie a break, the name is similar. Its not even the same. Who cares. Next you know Miss Potter will be infringing on the Harry Potter franchise because Potter is in the title. Really leave it alone. If Indiana Jones can go chasing after the Philosopher Stone than Hari Puttar and go experience a few humourous terrors. Excellent work though advertising this movie, when this is all done I am sure Hari Puttar will be huge.

Avatar Image says:

This is so stupid the movie has nothing to do with Harry Potter it’s not even a spoof it’s an entirely different film and it’s not like they took the name and were like ‘lets pick two words that sound as close as they can to a popular franchise’ the picked a title that means something to them in their native language. If WB wins this ‘case’ then that means American companies that make films with titles that happen to sound like films that came first in other countries can get sued for the same reason just as easily, it makes no sense…

Avatar Image says:

hahahaha hari puttar. it really is a pity that warner bros didn’t pick up on it sooner to give a chance to the other company to change the name. but really, is an indian film going to do anything to harry potter? no.

didn’t think so…

Avatar Image says:

Way to look culturally ignorant, WB. The word “puttar” is sprinkled throughout the Punjabi-themed film “Bend it Like Beckham”. WB doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Warner Brothers sucks.

Avatar Image says:

Well bec majec… maybe it is goin to do something for HP now! All bad publicity is still publicity right? Now I wanna see Hari Puttar!! XD

But really… though the name is similar, that does seem a little too harsh of WB.

Really WB dudes! Hari Putter is set to september, so you don’t need to worry about it stealing focus from Harry Potter… Half Blood Prince will only release on July… didn’t your hear?

Avatar Image says:

WB has a history of lawsuits, they have several departments on top of their regular watchers of copyright infringers for franchises such as Harry Potter and Batman. Seriously, this is nothing new. I am suprised people are shocked or upset about it. WB has done things like this for years. Its their way of making sure they are protected. It will probably settle or go away like most cases.

But with all the problems with copyright infringment in the past few years – especially in India.. they can’t take a chance.

Avatar Image says:

READ THIS!!!! READ THIS!!!!

fantastic, WB. make it sound like someone else is screwing up.

so i know some ppl that work at WB headquarters, and they’ve all said that (most likely) ALL the movies dates will change. as in, HPB in 2009, DH1 in 2010, and DH2 in 2011. i kno, it sucks. and the only reason why they’re really changing the dates is because they think they’ll make more money in the summer. AND their also expecting another writers’ strike soon, so they need to move the movie dates so that they’ll make atleast some $ during the strike. >_<

Avatar Image says:

You have to admit that the name Hari Puttar is funny…..I don’t think that if this parody had been in the US or UK it would have been a problem, but since it is in India I think that they got worried that the people there might not see it as so. If it is true that the name was registered in 2005, then WB has a new reputation to do everything late in the game and devastate everybody.

Avatar Image says:

This is sad. It’s like WB is saying, “We own every bit of Harry Potter, so you can’t so much as say the name Harry Potter unless you pay royalties”. This studio has become so controlling and secretive in just about every aspect since the first two movies.

Avatar Image says:

Give ME A BREAK You GREEDY BLIGHTERS!!! This is a parody not a sequal GET OFF your Penny Pinching let us have some fun!

Avatar Image says:

NO! Leave Baliwood alone, they make better movies than you from what I hear. Fun musicals and such, I’ve wanted to watch some of Baliwood’s stuff for a long time. Besides, you are just making an ass of yourself by doing this. Quit while you are above George Bush in popularity polls.

Avatar Image says:

wow, WB is really starting to make themselves look bad… they’re really starting to come across as a bunch of money-hungry micro-managing nazis. :(

Avatar Image says:

Ha ha ha! “Quit while you are above George Bush in popularity polls”!!!!! Haa haa haa! I like that! I agree. Stop before you look like even bigger idiots to us Harry Potter fans. WB’s is right up there on that “S-list” in my book… Oh look out WB’s!!!! My “inner eye” says that the Indian “Hari Putter” might “steal” your rightfully earned money! GOSH! Go back to keeping your share holders happy because that seems to be the most important thing to you. Also, Batman may have been GREAT and it made you a lot of cash, but I’d be willing to bet that it was Heath Ledger (may God rest his soul) and US (the fans) that made you that money. Keep that in mind. You’re a PR nightmare right now. Be quiet right now, ya bunch of crack pots. GOOD GRIEF!!

Maybe I’m out of line right now, but I’m aggrivated by all of this continuing nonsense.

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps we should start referring to Warner Bros. as Jacob? :p (You’ll get that joke if you’re a LOST geek like myself.)

Avatar Image says:

COME ON WB!!! For heaven’s sake, ur getting so f*king retarded that ur going 2 lose all ur fans b cuz u can’t tolerate anything from another country.

The name was registered in 2005, so leave the Indians alone!

Also, I guess this is another e.g. of cultural intolerance. A really good example to ur country…..... I think NOT!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is ridiculous! WB is just making themselves look even more bad than they already do right now. I hope they lose this case and that Hari Puttar makes tons of money.

Avatar Image says:

Well, in India, if anyone wants to spoof Harry Potter, he will change Harry Potter to ‘Hari Puttar’ since it is very funny…

A large number of people in India relate Hari Puttar to Harry Potter even both are different things. Hari is a common name in India. Hari literally means ‘god’ (every name in India have a specific meaning).

And Puttar is a Punjabi word (Punjabi is a language spoken in Northern India, specially in Punjab region). The word ‘puttar’ means son. So, literally Hari Puttar means son of god, but it is a name of boy.

Hari Puttar is a comedy film. People here in India think that this movie is a spoof of Harry Potter, so WB has taken this step. But this movie has no connection with Harry Potter at all.

Avatar Image says:

Oh how pathetic!!! It’s a Hindi movie that has nothing to do with Harry Potter. WB seem to get the lawyers out firing whenever they don’t like something. And really, it’s just bad PR for them and good PR for the movie.

What next? Anyone who uses the name Harry should be sued? If your character is a young child that has magical powers, we’ll see you in court? And don’t even think about using an old, kind and wise wizard!!!

A new low for the WB, just when you thought they couldn’t get any lower. Pathetic WB, completely pathetic…

Avatar Image says:

They’ll be suing the parents of sons called Harry next. WB = Idiots.

...

Geez… WB… You make us like you less and less… Seriously, get over yourselves.

Avatar Image says:

Though I haven’t heard of this movie before, Hindi and Urdu-speakers usually make fun of HP by calling him Hari Puttar, haha. My mom calls me that when I talk about it too much, lol.

I can see where WB found an offense, but I’m sure there’s no more reference to the actual Harry Potter than I would suspect a “Scary Movie” sequel would contain.

Avatar Image says:

Man, you gotta love WB. They may make stupid decisions, but they’re always good for a laugh.

Hey… wait a second…

Do you think that they did this so that we would start laughing at them and feel so sorry for them that we forget all about the release date being bumped back to July?

CONSPIRACY THEORIES ARE AWESOME!

(and entirely true and based on factual evidence and not wild conjecture that appeared at 12:30 in the morning)

Avatar Image says:

Bollywood unashamedly rips off every hollywood film (practically remaking them with song and dance routines inserted) and I always wondered how they got away with it! And now they have a film that is sued by WB only because the title has a similar sound to Harry Potter. I find that so ironic! I have seen a few Bollywood films, some are really fun. I think Hari Puttar is a deliberate Harry Potter reference in spoof mode but do they really need license permission? What about all these spoof films in Hollywood (like Epic Movie etc), did they need license permission too? Any lawyers amongst you Leaky readers can shed a light here? :)

Maybe there is a bigger picture that is hidden from the media reports. Remember the RDR case. As Leaky readers, we recall how RDR refused WB cease and desist demands then blatantly lied how they were not given any time or chance to discuss. The media papers didnt report that, did they? They report on how Jo and WB bulldoze over a small poor book publisher. So with that, I think there is more to this story. Has to be because otherwise, this sounds terribly stupid on WB’s part.

Avatar Image says:

Here is a synopsis of the film:

Set in the background of lush green England, this tale of two intrepid kids resonates with that most fundamental character traits of adventure and fun, traits that are the raison de’tre of any kid who are looking out for a bit of fun on the wayside. Hari Prasad Dhoonda or Hari Puttar, as he is fondly called, is a bright 10 year old who has recently moved from India to the U.K. with his parents.

His father, Prof. Dhoonda is assigned to work on a secret project with the Defense Forces at a remote location in the U.K. He has access to confidential information that is stored on a chip and safely kept at his house. Within days of their arrival in London, Hari’s aunt and uncle DK visit the Dhoonda residence with their own as well DK’s boss’ children.

At this point, everything goes for a spin for Hari Puttar. Hari Puttar suddenly feels unwanted, undermined and unappreciated. But Hari has a friend from his fantasy world – Funtoon, who is around when Hari really needs him. Funtoon is a fun character – a ‘Masti Ka Boss’ and helps Hari cheer up when he is down or when he is upto some Masti.

The two are like alter egos who complement each other. To top it, DK arranges a vacation for the entire family and as luck would have it, the next morning, the whole family leaves in a tearing hurry, forgetting that they have left something integral behind – Namely Hari and his little cousin Tuk Tuk.

Meantime, an infamous don, Kali Mirchi, assigns two bumbling burglars to steal the secret formula chip from Hari’s house. Hari accidentally discovers the mission of the burglars and is determined to save the secret formula from being exposed.

The so-called diminutive Hari Puttar embarks on a journey of great adventure and suddenly discovers the self-confidence, creativity and gumption that he did not know he possessed. With his innovative plans, determined wit, and with able support from Tuk Tuk, Hari Puttar manages to not only save the secret chip but also captures the two unsuspecting thugs.

Hari’s mother in the meanwhile, desperate to get back to Hari goes through her own adventure to reach back home; And when she does, she finds that she had left behind a son and had come back to a little hero.

WB – get a life!

Avatar Image says:

Also i think Home Alone (Hughes Entertainment) should be filing a lawsuit, It has replica scenes.

Avatar Image says:

seriously…anal horn…oh sorry…i mean alan horn…u move da release date den this?! u can suk yo mamma’s balls!

Avatar Image says:

ooh yeah,now with the hbp release puhsed back,wb just got too much time on their hands so why not sue a poor bollywood movie.WB offically sucks.

Anal Horn, its beautiful

Avatar Image says:

Now that’s just silly, WB are getting out of hand

Avatar Image says:

If those are genuinely common names in that country and the film has nothing to do with a boy wizard, then it’s wrong for them to be filing a suit against them – especially when they should have done it three years ago if it were that important.

I like WB, they make good films but obviously they are a business which aims to be successful. They work hard to keep an even balance between making the fans happy enough, and trying to earn enough money to be able to fund all of their future projects that people will enjoy – and of course they’re having to pay all these ‘richest in the country’ teenagers for poncing about with wands lol.

All I’m saying is, even though they moved the date for Harry Potter, I’m not exactly starting a war against them. But for them to do this to some random filmmakers in India who aren’t really doing anything wrong, I really don’t think that’s fair at all and it’s getting more and more difficult for me to be on WB’s side.

& btw it was my birthday yesterday! :D ..just thought I’d end on a happy note lol.

Avatar Image says:

I so agree with you Dawn. Culture ignorance. Hello? I am an Indian….this has nothing to do with Harry!! WB’s going loony…!!! Go watch Bend It Like Beckham!!

Avatar Image says:

But “Hari Puttar” is an Indian Harry Potter joke. Usually made my Grandma. And there have been references in other films too. I think that if they’re using the in-joke as publicity material and that WB is suing for thats reason, then they are right to do so (as much as I’m despised to say that XS). But I suppose people are angry at WB for the release date change right now. WB are not going to look good in our eyes whenever they pull something like this.

Avatar Image says:

from the synopsis posted on the previous page it sounds to me more like a HOME ALONE movie. anyone seen them? (you should have they’re awesome) where the kid gets left at home.. and once he got on the wrong plane so he was home alone in a hotel then his relatives house. he uses a set of traps made with house hold items like paint cans tied with string and swung over the edge of the stairs to hit the bad guys on the head. y’all know what movie i’m talking about?

WB might as well jump around screaming “HEY GUYS GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY ‘COS WE’RE FAT, UGLY, GREEDY IDIOTS WHO CAN’T DO NOTHING BUT GET MONEY ANY WAY WE CAN

after the whole date change you would have thought they’d be trying to win back and public support they did have before they became the real world version of lord voldemort to us harry potter fans.

Avatar Image says:

WB, for your information, there’s a movie from the 1986, “Troll”, about a boy who learns to do magic. His name is Harry Potter.

You can find it in the wikipedia.

So maybe you can sue yourselves.

Avatar Image says:

ouhh can’t they do something suitable besides suing everyone, ehh…. like LETTING US SEE THE 6TH MOVIE IN NOVEMBER???!!!!!!!!! gosh I’m so angry I can’t even find any words GHAAAAA!!!!!! just let us se the movie!!!!!

“Hari Puttar”???

I love that title! I guess I should take all this more seriously, but it’s just not in me. LMAO.

Avatar Image says:

I might have wanted WB to win before they acted like greedy morons, but now I would like nothin better if they LOSE. Don’t you have enough money already???

Avatar Image says:

Oh WB is getting pathetic! It is just a freaking name!!!!! What the hell are they thinking?

I think the story of the movie resembles Home Alone much more than that of what the name would suggest to us ignorant on Hindi language.

Corey said: “Wow, it’s amazing how many people on here rip WB for this but if it was JK doing the sueing everyone would be saying how much they hate Bollywood.”

Well you see… there is a BIG difference in there… Jo would sue if they were using her story and she would be right to do so! WB is sueing only for marketing reasons… they don’t like the name because it sounds like the name of “their movie”......

ha ha ha

you see WB? how does it feel when something terrible is happening!?

Bloody hell.
I am damn sure WB is filled with mentals.
They didn’t like it when JKR lost the previous case against the Indians.
And so, now they’re trying to file a case against them, for such an absurd case as “name seems similar”. Ding-Dongs.
If you look at this with normal sense, one just can’t file a case ag9st someone, whose movie name is quite similar, yet the story line, as well as the meaning of the name is different.
I just hope the Indians win, that’s all.

Avatar Image says:

tempoDG, carel carvalho,—I think it was JKR who instigated WB.
Personally, I think she hated the fact that she lost the previous case to Indians, and so, she may have backed WB up.
And, nobody stole JKR’s story, from India (Unless you count the HP Hindi translated versions as illegal!)
All in all, what’s to us, if they file a case or not. It’s all just a way of marketing strategies and increasing publicity, right?
I still like JKR, and will always do so.

aatmahira

I really doubt this was instigated by Jo…. seriously! but that is just speculation on our part, isn’t it?

Avatar Image says:

I got all excited when I thought they really were doing a “Bollywood” Harry Potter movie! Can you imagine? I can! Oh well.

Avatar Image says:

yeah, this one is stupid…obviously no one at WB has heard of satire or parody? ever hear of Bored of the Rings, that old chestnut? i assume WB will not win this one. and based on the little information we have, I hope the film gets distributed in the US, I want to see it

Avatar Image says:

Actually, the smart move (ie, how to make money) would be for WB to go in as partners with the film producers, and give the film global distribution in theaters, plus dvd sales….if I can figure that on my first cuip of coffee, then i gotta wonder about the intelligence level of the staff over at WB.

if WB doesn’t do it, then BBC should.

!!!!READ THIS!!!!!

Warner Bros you are sooo infuriating!

Controling and secretive.

An Indian movie is not going to hurt your Precious Potter.

END OF.

Avatar Image says:

That’s really, really, really funny indeed!

Typical!

Avatar Image says:

lamest….lawsuit …..ever WB get a life you money grubbing crumple horned snorcaks! ( can’t put what i really want say as its a naughty word)

DON’T READ THIS!!

What are you doing? I told you not to read it!!! ¬¬

Avatar Image says:

They’re just mad because this Indian flick is going to relate to the HBP storyline better than their movie.

Avatar Image says:

This is kind of ridiculous.

I am disappointed in Warner Bros.’ decision.

I have little else to say. :(

Avatar Image says:

My opinion – I believe that WB is quite justified objecting to the name of this movie. Could have been called anything else but the name is being used as a lure to the film. The name is a cheap knock off period.

Avatar Image says:

is this Hari Puttar movie even about a boy wizard who goes to Hogwarts???? Doesnt sound like it. WB just back off. This is a bit pathetic. It just proves that WB thinks they own the world and can control everyone.

Avatar Image says:

WB just loves to make people mad, huh ?!

Avatar Image says:

I went to the BBC story to check what the film was about. I thought, if it’s a Harry Potter spoof then maybe they need to alter the title a bit more, but if it’s something completely different, and the titles just happen to be similar, then let it go, no one is going to look at the cover and think, cool, Harry Potter. The article says “It tells the story of a 10-year-old boy who moves to England with his parents and becomes embroiled in a battle over a secret microchip.”

Okay, we do meet Harry when he’s 10 and it is set in England, but I don’t remember any secret microchips in the Pensive, do you? Let it go WB. It’s a small world with only so many words in it. Sharing required.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m relieved to see the majority agree this lawsuit is insane. WB has gotten out of control, there’s too much of an eagerness to file lawsuits within the Potter franchise, Hari Putter is a legitimate Indian name. What’s going to happen next? will WB file suits again all individuals with the last name of Potter throughout the world? History repeats itself, the Potter franchise is becoming as political as the Star Wars franchise, for shame.

Avatar Image says:

Wow. More money for those greedy arses!

Can we have the date back now?

Avatar Image says:

“Hari Puttar”, slated to open in cinemas on September 12, is the story of a young boy fighting two criminals who are trying to steal a secret formula devised by the boy’s scientist father.

what, nothing about wizards? LAME, WB!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe not the synopsis. but the characterisation of “intrepid kid hero” sort of relates a bit. shrugs And I swear that Hari Puttar is an actual HP joke. (not a very good one… but enough to stir up publicity)...

Avatar Image says:

HAHAHAHA I’m sorry my first reaction to this was my mouth falling open and then a suppressed burst of laughter (but only b/c I’m in class at the moment)! This is too funny to me for several reasons: (1) I have a southeast asian ethnic background, and thus bollywood films were a way of life for me growing up, I’ve seen several and I continue to watch them (maybe not as often as before, but I still usually see the big blockbuster films) and I was a little surprised to find out this is a bollywood film (2) The hypothetical name “Hari Puttar” has been thrown around in my house and those of my friends & family for years now, ever since the first HP film came out and the series gained popularity worldwide, but I never thought it would actually become a character—in reality, I’ve heard it as more of a joke than anything (i.e. Q: “What would the Indian version of harry potter be called?” A: “Hari Puttar” [for precisely the same reasons cited by Munish Purii: “puttar,” in my understanding, means something like “son” or “child”; I’ve been addressed by my friends’ parents with an equivalent word in Urdu). (3) I’ve even seen a bengali copy of the first book (probably unofficial) at my cousin’s house in bangladesh circa 2003, and the title was pretty much spelled & pronounced the same way, but that’s only b/c it’s harder for bengali ppl to pronounce it the proper, english way and that’s the closest spelling they could use (4) If you read the description of this film on imdb, it sounds more like a knockoff of a Home Alone film, certainly not Harry Potter (which, btw, for those of you young’uns who may not know, was directed by Chris Columbus, who also happened to direct the first two HP films—random connections, like on LOST!)

OK and with that tangent I’m done now. This is so silly. Bye.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah! If your birth name is Harry Potter, you had best run out now and change it! Never know when good old WB’s will be sending their lawyers after you! They might miss the royalties if someone says your name! Gaaaaaahhh!

I know! Maybe they are going to add this “Hari Puttar” character or theme into the HBP movie! That must be the real reason they moved the movie!................ So silly.

Jo? We need another good book from you. We need a new “fix”! Even if it is not HP related! Something to take our minds off the heresy that Warner Bros. has created. We miss you.

Warner Bros, play nice. Quit bullying and just give us our movie back and all will be forgotten.

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t they go after people for trying to use the name Harry Potter in the Troll 2 movie?

However, there was a character named Harry Potter in original movie that was made in the 80’s…..

Not lying, I would have thought the Indian named movie was some kind of spoof without knowing anything about it.

However, there are the Barry Trotter series. However, there’s no action against them? Is it because they are books, because they are definite spoofs…...

shrugs

Avatar Image says:

This is just too funny… :-)

@ Chad

Your first comment: “look now warner bros is trying to move another movies release date to July” – LOL

@ Weird One

If the only connection between the two is the name of the lead character, I don’t think Warner is right. If they were, then the woman that had written stories about a boy named Harry Potter bEFORE Jo started her stories, would have won her case, and Jo wouldn’t’ve been able to use that name either. This movie doesn’t even use the EXACT same name, and also, the story is completely different.

So not agreeing there. Warner won’t win this. They’ll only make life miserable for that film company for a short while.

Avatar Image says:

Here’s my thing: unless the movie is about a boy who finds out that he’s a wizard and goes to a school to learn magic while also trying to save the world, which judging by amar’s post its not, I don’t see why WB should sue them.

Avatar Image says:

Ya know I hope there aren’t Death Eaters secretly working at WB, they might Taboo the name Harry Potter, and start carting us off to Azkaban when we say it… maybe we ought to start saying You Know Who? ;)

I’m currently reading Deathly Hallows, the final book of the You Know Who series…

Avatar Image says:

This reminds of how the new “Avatar: The Last Airbender” movie had to drop the whole word “Avatar” from the title because another film already had that name. Ridiculous. If this movie has absolutely nothing to do with witches, wizards, a magical school, then I don’t see the problem. waits for more info

Avatar Image says:

Did the creators of Man in the Moon (starring Reese Witherspoon) sue the creators of Man on the Moon (starring Jim Carrey) because THAT seems like a MUCH closer match… Seriously, WB has no bloody right.

Avatar Image says:

*snorts!!!! I can’t believe this, It is so idiotic and immature. It’s in Indian for goodness sake, it has nothing to do with harry potter!! what are you going to sue Miss Potter (2006) as well how absurd WB you are very unpopular right now, I would quit with all these heartless attempts to make money

Avatar Image says:

The more WB says anything that sounds even remotely like Harry Potter, the greedier they sound. It’s true the only thing they’re going to accomplish is making themselves look like a bunch of greedy pigs. Lighten up WB, stop acting like a bunch of Whiney 3 year-olds, stop making a collective ass of your company and grow up. Time for your naps. This is only going to make people want to see what all the fuss is about, not Harry Potter. So once again, you’ve likely turned more potential fans away from the potter films.

Avatar Image says:

Not that big of surprise because we already know how much WB likes to sue anybody they can. It just makes them appear even worse than the already are. Who knows, maybe they are trying to see if they can be the most hated movie studio.

Avatar Image says:

ha WB wow. this is just great. you guys own the word harry potter dont you? the movie doesnt freaking have anything to do with wizardry. give me a break! btw Genevieve: its bollywood. like hollywood with a b. ha but my parents are from india so i know these things. and well you sould really take a look at some of these movies. i believe the older ones are a lot better!

Avatar Image says:

I hope WB loses the lawsuit…... big time

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter is right. Most Bollywood movies are blatant rip-offs of Hollywood films, but they basically take the story and Indianise the whole thing. Why aren’t any of the original companes filing such lawsuits. I’m an Indian, and I know WB is doing nothing but making a huge fool of itself in this entire thing. Puttar, in literal terms means “Son” in Punjabi, and “Hari” is a common name in India. This movie has NOTHING to do with HP!! Why can’t WB just stop filing lawsuits left,right and center?!

Avatar Image says:

I there ANYBODY that team JKR won’t sue?

Avatar Image says:

Hari Puttar :-) I can see why WB are a bit worried. There scared because Hari Puttar might actually have a better screenwriter/director who may actually make a proper Harry Potter movie for us instead of some old english fuddy duddy moron(s) who pretend to know what fantasy stories are all about.

Avatar Image says:

Please tell me someone, somewhere is suing WB? This lawsuit crazy bunch of bloodsuckers need to be bought down.

Avatar Image says:

This is not just coincidence, they did want to make fun of HP, and for the first time WB has done something right, go ahead !

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t there quite a lot similarity to the RDR trial?

Avatar Image says:

Ok I don’t know who is doing this in warner brothers but it sounds like an immature two year old. This film has nothing to do with Harry Potter so legally they can do nothing about it. It’s like someone who happens to have a book series by the same name as Harry Potter but not having any other connection. Would Jo sue them i don’t think so. This is just a cheap trick by Warner Bros. to get more money

Avatar Image says:

agreed with prongs. one day we’ll say “harry potter” out loud and all our money will mysteriously vanish out of banks. geez i think i’ll call him the boy who lived, just incase.

WB are lawsuit-aholics.

Avatar Image says:

I think the name Hari Puttar might have been kept intentionally to relate it with Harry Potter and win some speculation. The story of the movie does not have anything to do with magic, but if we read the story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255873/plotsummary) it seems more like a rip-off (similar to Home Alone somewhere, not sure). In Indian “Punjabi” language, Puttar means son, and Hari is a common first name (came from name of God Shiva). And more, in India, sometimes Harry Potter is joked as Hari Puttar (search on Google Images).

Though this does not mean what WB is doing is right, the Hari Puttar people are not taking any plot or characters related to Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

wow, another bad move WB. Hari putter means, ‘hari my son’ and if u watch the promo here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPE6F5yQTD0 you will see that it has nothing to do with HP but is actually most like the movie “home alone” but bollywood style.

Avatar Image says:

How about—when we all finally go see the HP movie, we wear pig snouts? You can get them at places like novelty stores, and they’ll probably be around at Hallowee’en.

In that way we can make the statement that we’re going to see a movie made by a bunch of greedy pigs. :)

Avatar Image says:

ok, i love in india and let me tell you that here the ‘Hari Puttar’ joke is quite old. Old punjabi indians joke about it alot.

The movie name is based on this joke but the movie has absolutely nothing to do with the HP. its not even a parody or a spoof. Warner Brothers really cannot do this. Have they NOT seen scary movie?

Avatar Image says:

wow, another bad move WB. ‘hari puttar’ means “hari my son”. also, if you watch the promo here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPE6F5yQTD0

you will see that is nothing like HP, but is actually most like the movie “home alone” but the bollywood style.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone have any proof beyond youtube.com that WB is suing because of the title of the movie?

Honestly, guys this isn’t WB’s first run with a blow out movie…I think their legal advisors are a bit beyond our scope of understanding law suits.

This is their job to protect their creation and honestly, “Bollywood” how are you not trying to Americanize? Why don’t you create your own name for it; create your own name for yourself?

Avatar Image says:

er.. “Ginny” yes we do.. hellooo, read the article your posting on. “The BBC is reporting”.. doubt they get their proof from youtube darl’ ;) and isn’t bollywood like supposed to be a kinda joke, like hollywood / bollywood and now i’m sure theres a show called dollywood (?) as in dolly parton’s show, or something. it’s a joke. people do it all the time …

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s a huge disappointment that the movie has been put back till July! What on earth are they thinking! Harry Potter is a Winter blockbuster not to be left till the summer! Besides I think it has more of a wintery/Christmas feel to it and is one of the most exciting events to the lead up of Christmas! Who on earth suggested the summer. Plus it’s done why wait…..very sad and hugely disappointing!

Avatar Image says:

It is hugely disappointing. I suggest we push back the same way they acted—financially.

I have already chosen to not see two Warner Bros. movies. If there’s one I want to see, I will purposefully delay seeing it so they don’t get those big “first weekend” numbers.

But that will do no good unless I tell them what I’m doing. I don’t think we can change their minds but we can communicate our actions to them. Here is their email address:

Wouldn’t I love it if HARI PUTTAR was shown in the US—THAT I would go see! :)

I will not boycott the HP movie. I will wait a week (and hope lots of people do), and then thoroughly enjoy myself.

Avatar Image says:

anyone here a surgon?Cuz WB really need to get that stick out of there butt. Also,who finds it funny that Alan Horns initials are the same as hitlers?

i really do not think this is a coincedince.

Write a Reply or Comment