Actor Dan Radcliffe Featured in October Issue of “Details” Magazine

274

Sep 02, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The October issue of Details magazine will contain a new feature on actor Dan Radcliffe. The magazine, who sent us the new cover photo of Dan, which you can see here in our image galleries, also has the article online. In the new piece, which you can read via this link, Dan discusses both Potter and his upcoming appearance in the Broadway production of “Equus” which begins previews later this month. Of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” which begins filming next February, Dan, who has appeared as Harry Potter in all of the Harry Potter films, reflects on what it was like for him when he read the final installment in the Harry Potter series:

Radcliffe faced it alone first, when he began reading Deathly Hallows on a plane trip. “It was very emotional, actually,” he says. “In the front of the book I wrote something Anton Chekhov wrote to the woman he ended up spending the rest of his life with: ‘Hello, the last page of my life.’ Which I thought was very appropriate.”

On the subject of the upcoming stage appearance in New York with “Equus” Dan notes:

Radcliffe isn’t just different from his peers; it’s like he’s of another generation. As he walks along Fifth Avenue, he describes the rush of playing a character as thrillingly alive as Alan Strang. “It’s because he’s absolutely living in the present,” he says. “He can only live in the moment, to use a horrible, clichéd, boring phrase. ‘In the moment.’ It’s like ‘carpe diem.’ After Dead Poets Society, everyone was like, ‘Oh, carpe diem.’ Shut up!”

Note to parents: slight language caution for younger children.

119 Responses to Actor Dan Radcliffe Featured in October Issue of “Details” Magazine

Avatar Image says:

Really fascinating piece, good to read a bit more about Dan, he’s an interesting one alright. Loved the Chekhov quote, it must have been so very weird for Dan to read DH. Anyway, thanks Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

his features are really defined huh? no wonder people think he’s too old for harry, but really, he’s prefect! oh! and the chekhov quote was so sad—idk, i felt sad for some reason. (why couldn’t there have been a masters program at hogwarts?!!)

Avatar Image says:

Daniel looks great! I always enjoy reading his interviews. I can’t wait to see the rest of the photos, I mean, this photoshoot looks crazy (in a good way) and interesting. Dan with red hair.. :)

Avatar Image says:

love this picture of him-he looks so hot-but i think the picture is photoshopped. somebody tell me im wrong

Avatar Image says:

hey! why arent i allowed to say our dearley beloved harry actor is hot?

Avatar Image says:

Now, THAT’S what I call an interview! That is so far beyond the typical quasi-tabloid pap that has followed the kids around for years that it’s an absolute delight to read. This interviewer is up to speed, and we get a very real glimpse, I suspect, into the rather imposing intellect of Dan Radcliffe. Amazing boy, he really is.

Avatar Image says:

I agree, Jeff. It’s probably because his PR rep wasn’t with him! LOL!!

Avatar Image says:

Great pic of Dan there. Really good interview as well. I’m looking forward to seeing him in HBP and any of his other projects as well.

Avatar Image says:

That photograph is AWFUL. He looks so American! I feel betrayed.

Americans are wonderful, don’t get me wrong, but there’s something fake and ugly about Hollywood that the HP actors usually avoid quite well.

It’s a nice interview though.

Avatar Image says:

why does he look like a cartoon?... he’s a funny little guy…

Avatar Image says:

Linny. you obviously didn’t see the awful Teen Vogue photo shoot the trio were put through in preparation for the release of the OoP. ! I think he looks so like Elijah Wood. It’s about time someone cast them in a film together.

Avatar Image says:

I enjoyed the Details cover from last year better. He looked more rugged. Here, it looks like they airbrushed the heck out of it. The history tool is your friend designers! Still, Dan looks good, and the interview was great (better than last years I think). You really get a glimpse of his humor in this article.

Avatar Image says:

daniel radcliffe with red hair is just something you don’t do. I find he looks terrible in the interview with his red hair, though the picture on the cover of the magazine is a different story.

Avatar Image says:

he’s trying so hard to be different than everyone else and so low-key but he spills everything there is to know in a heartbeat like those people you meet who don’t have many friends so when they meet people they spill their whole life story. this is getting so unbearably old, and for god’s sake dan stop trying to act so indie. we all know you are a pseudointellectual hipster who is more of a conformists by their own non-conformist terms.

Avatar Image says:

I’m tired of that Elijah comparation.They have huge blue eyes AND NO MORE,their faces are completely differents if you look well.Allie,i think he looks strange,not “terrible”.Dan looks hot in the cover.

Avatar Image says:

i agree with byron. although, i wouldn’t be surprised at all if he declared himself as liking the same sex sometime in the future because his interests are borderline questionable for a 19 year old teenager. I mean drag? I’m all for art and branching out but those young kids that grow up too fast like dan has and such mature tastes end up being very adults with odd eccentrics. atleast in hollywood the kids are acting like kids and doing things that most ordinary kids do (get drunk, buy cars, racy myspace photos etc) although i’m not condining it i just feel that dan is too mature for his age and that’s not necessarily a great thing.

Avatar Image says:

dan radcliffe is elijah wood with black hair. anyone who says otherwise is a die-hard dan fan and won’t admit the obvious which is starign them in the eye

Avatar Image says:

God, Dan is hilarious! That bit about the name brand of his jeans Absolute Joy, and that what was underneath as well rofl! I could hear Dan’s voice saying it all, he’s so funny. And forget the red hair, look at the rest of it. I love what they said about his otherworldliness, i wonder if that’s what triggered the photoshoot style. He was gorgeous- but i hope there are more pictures of him ! Can’t wait to get this magazine.

Avatar Image says:

“Radcliffe is a little manic. He leans forward as he talks—arms tightly folded, eyes darting about, speaking quickly through a clenched jaw that’s lightly dusted with stubble” Straight out of Rita Skeeter. The interviewer seems a little perturbed that Dan is intellegent. We all know that people don’t watch films listen to music or read books from before we are born! How very dare he!

Avatar Image says:

OK…that interview was a blatant case of TMI. And I am glad to hear Mr Radcliffe has such a high concept of those who have done therapy. That was sarcasm, just in case you thought I was a fangirl.

Avatar Image says:

I really enjoyed the interview! I guess that’s only part of it and the entire one will only be available with the print version of the magazine?

He looks great, bashers are very funny trying so hard to find something bad to say about such a good picture, you just have to look at any of his lastest candid pictures, that’s exactly how he looks like in real life. He is 19 now and has a great face without teen problems (or ‘crap’ how it is said in the article) and he has always had very defined feautures. Linny, to feel ‘betrayed’? lol Do they sign a life contract with you? British magazines are exacly like the American ones, the world is so globalised these days, also all the HP actors have done plenty of fake and ugly photoshoots since they were kids. But this photoshot looks like real fun, it reminds me of the film The Fifth Element, which is very appropiatte since Dan admires Gary Oldman.

Avatar Image says:

Anon,have you seen one film of Pedro Almodovar with Gael Garcia Vernal being a gay and wearing in one scene all like a woman??THEY ARE ACTORS,IS THEIR WORK AND WE ARE IN THE CENTURY XXI.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t take the therapy bit seriously as it is more unusual for people to have therapy in UK. It seems the norm in US. It still has freudian connetations and for severe intervention. He may seem ‘old’ in interviews but he is still only 19ish.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not seeing red hair at all here. Maybe it just highlights? Anyway – what do you mean he looks American? If there is one country that does not have a look, it’s America. If anything – he looks a bit Irish – like his Dad’s heritage. Think Colin Farrell, Patrick Gallagher, plus he’s got that small Irish build. (Boston has many Irish nationals and descendants, so I have much to compare this too). I think he looks very handsome, and I like it better than the last Details cover which looked forced. Perhaps I admire a more metrosexual look rather than the rugged look (unless you’re in a band). As far as maturity – I don’t think he’s too old for 19. Hang around the more intellectual students in a college campus – these are exactly how our conversations went. Also – he’s grown up around adults for the most part, so what do you expect? When you think about it, Harry is mature for his age as well, with all that he has to take on by himself. (and who knows, maybe he will turn out to be gay, nothing wrong with that – he’ll never be my boyfriend either way – think Rupert Everett, I always liked him, don’t care who he likes back!)

Avatar Image says:

Oh yeah, Fer_keeper… that’s why he is playing in a play about… psychiatry! Where he plays a boy who needs… therapy! And when he was younger one of his dreams was to study… psychology! Because of course he doesn’t like people who goes to therapy… please note that was sarcasm, just in case you thought I was a hater. You could inform yourself better before judiging so fast. But of course you are not interested in that, as you are trying too hard to find something negative to say. There is nothing wrong about feeling lucky because you never needed to go to therapy, it’s something natural. Obviously if any of us would do an interview and other person wanted to read too much into every answer we gave, there would always something to criticize or distort… conrad, Dan fans have nothing against Wood, all the contrary, we all want them to play in the same movie some day! But the true is… Wood has never been so fit as than is.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, never mind about the red hair. When I first saw the article, my computer did not bring up the video clip. I’m sure he’s just fooling around!

Avatar Image says:

@ Zorg: Of course they don’t, don’t be ridiculous. I do feel betrayed, yes, in the lightest sense of the word, I wasn’t really expecting anyone to take it that literally.

I’m unsure as to what the world being ‘globalised’ is supposed to mean, but I think you’ll find that there is quite a different approach to celebrities in the UK than in America, whether you agree or not.

Avatar Image says:

Bah – now that I’ve actually watched the video. You people who commented on the red hair must be younger. He’s dressed up like David Bowie doing Ziggy Stardust. Daniel Radcliffe has mentioned in the past that he admired Bowie and the Ziggy Stardust period. The video is pretty good, actually.

Avatar Image says:

Byron, hate to break it to you, but a lot of 19 year olds go through a “nonconformist” phase. At least he doesn’t bash people for liking the mainstream. Heck, he likes doing the Potter films, so he’s not a complete indie kid.

Anon, are you really suggesting that Dan will “grow up” to be gay because of his maturity? It also sounds as if you’re suggesting being gay would be a bad thing? I hate to break it to you, but not every “kid” drives drunk and ends up in rehab. NO one should be praised for being an idiot, no matter how young and immature you are. By the way, that whole “act like a normal kid” to prevent being gay worked really well for Lindsay Lohan.

Avatar Image says:

Jason Isaacs played a drag queen in Sweet November (I love that movie so much), so do you think Jason is too eccentric too because he played that role? Felicity Huffman was nominatted for an Oscar for Transamerica, John Travolta for a Golden Globe for Hairspray, Guy Pearce, Terence Stamp and Hugo Weaving got great reviews for playing drags in what it is considered one of the best Australian movies of all times, Priscilla-Queen of the Desert

Like them, Dan is a serious actor, who loves his profession and understands what real acting is about. It’s not about playing heros all the time, it’s about playing many different types of characters, and as more complex they are the better, because it requieres more of you. Characters with different personalities, ages, looks, and yes, sexualities too, why not? It’s acting, it’s the great thing about it, you can be all you are not in your real life, that’s what actors love about it.

-“atleast in hollywood the kids are acting like kids and doing things that most ordinary kids do (get drunk, buy cars, racy myspace photos etc)”

If you actually read the interview Dan says in it: Vodka and Diet Coke is his cocktail of choice, chooses a Golf GTI because it’s “a good, small German car that zips around”, and he has racy photos (Equus), he just did them professionally. So he does all the things normal teens do, he just don’t do it in front of the public eye, helikes to keep his private life private. Just because he is not like Mily Cirus who likes to post racy myspace photos, or Shia LeBouf who gets drunk too often or like most rich actors who like to waste their money in expensive cars it doesn’t mean he is not a normal person of his age, it means he has brains and much more style. From my point of view it is the others the ones who are too eccentric and can end having seious problems when they get older, and Daniel is the one who is more normal.

And to like to read and write has not an age limit, people of all different ages like to do it.

Avatar Image says:

do brits think they are better than americans? i’m curious.

Avatar Image says:

giny, the problem you have is a lack of sense of humor, you take things too seriously. If you take all those topics and see them in their context, there is nothing wrong with it. I was at the NY Times talk where he said that (not really that, that’s only the way you have decided to put it), and everyone laughed when he said it, because some were jokes and were said with irony (which most of the time can not be seen when it is translated to a papaer), and because others are very true, people in America go more to therapy because here most people see it like a normal thing, while in Europe some people still sees it as something weird. And he congratulated America for the Olympics and talked about how it is seen here and how it is seem on British tv, what’s wrong with that?

Maybe you should accept our country is not perfect and take things with humor, jut like he does when someone generalizes about Britain or him. If you think Dan ever says things to annoy someone, or to be in the headlines (he doesn’t needs to, he actually wishes tabloids will stop with the stupid headlines), or because he feels he is better than other people you just don’t know anything about him. The first person he likes to laugh about is himself. It must be very difficult to be in his skin, people obviously overanylize all he says, hoping to find something they can criticize, take out of context… it’s crazy, it’s impossible to please everyone and he knows it, he is sincere and givies his opinions, you don’t have to like it, at least he doesn’t try to be other person, trying too hard to look perfect, like other actors we know do all the time…

Avatar Image says:

He really is something different, in a really, really good way, but he is. He’s not like other teenage actors. But he’s so great! I could hear his voice say all those things, too!

Avatar Image says:

and giny, I mean, I’m not american, so forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t kinda normal for english people to “mark” americans and the other way around? But it’s not serious, like I love it said, is it, they’re just jokes and stuff. I’m finnish and we have thousands and thousand of jokes about swedish, and they have about us. I joke about them, too, but it doesn’t mean I don’t think they’re perfectly nice people.

Oy! Airbrushed much?

I knew, watching him in “Kipling’s Son” that he was a different kind of animal. Vive la differance!

Avatar Image says:

@ Ginny – I don’t think Dan is bashing America at all. He’s just being funny. I have a sarcastic, dry sense of humor, and it appears that he does as well, so I see what he is saying as a joke. In fact, I once read an interview with Daniel R. which included one of those lists that ask “Favorite movie, favorite band”, etc. and in the answer to “Favorite Country” he said America (I am assuming he meant other than England). And fact it, there is alot of funny things about America – it’s healthy to be able to laugh at yourself. Although, I am from Massachusetts, and we all know what the rest of the country calls us – and I laugh at that too (because I know we’re just better than everyone else anyway – ha, ha, just kidding – no I’m not – yes, really I am)

Avatar Image says:

Oh for the use of an edit button – of course I meant: “And face it, there are a lot of funny things about America.”

Avatar Image says:

hahaha, I love him. I can so see myself getting along with him very well.

Avatar Image says:

Anon, so then what did you mean when you suggested he could grow up to be “eccentric,” and that being so mature for his age “isn’t necessarily a good thing”? You made it sound like being eccentric was a bad thing, and when you mentioned homosexuality prior to that sentence, I could only assume being gay was a way one could be “eccentric.”

It looks like most of the young stars you mentioned, such as Dakota, have also avoided the so-called “normal things teens do.” The actions you listed for normal teen behavior mimics people like Lohan and Spears, not the young people you listed.

So what were you trying to say in your first thread Anon? If you argue that young actors like Natalie should be respected for their maturity, why are you suggesting Dan’s may be a negative?

Avatar Image says:

anon, wasn’t Natalie Portman too mature for her age when she was Dan’s age? I don’t think she has any kind of problem now she is older.

I don’ty think the problem some young actors have are just because of the money, they are just irresponsible and have irresponsible people around them too. It happens in all countries, the thing about America is everyone is interested in it so it becomes woldwide known.

If you didn’t mean people like Lindsay, then why did you talked about drinking, cars, and self-made-pics as things ‘Hollywood young starts do’? Now you say you mean people like Natalie, Scarlet… well, they have never done those things in the public eye, just like Dan. So were they too mature for their age too? Or there is something they did you think Dan should do?

He has fun with his friends and his girlfriends, he goes to see cricket and bascketball games, plays, movies, concerts… isn’t that what normal young people do? Being mature doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy the same things other people your age do. I think he talks so well and about so many things, some people get scared and think “oh he is too mature”. He is very well read and educated, that’s it.

I think the only problem comes when young people have too many responsabilities, like having to take care of their family, or a sick person, or any other responsabilities other people their age don’t have, that’s when some people have to become more mature than people their age because they have more responsabilities, so when they are older they have problems, like Mozart or Mickel Jackson, because they were forced to work too much when they were kids. So if that’s what you meant, don’t worry, this is not Dan’s case, he chose the acting career and makes him happy. And the true is you implied he can’t like the opposite sex just because he would like to play a dragqueen, because that’s the only thing of the interview, and the only you mentioned. It’s not about accepting critics, to even think that’s a crtitic is ridiculous, it’s about being rational, because it’s senseless to mix acting with real life, which is what you made. Talking about Scarlet… if you watch the video and see Dan’s face when he mentions her… the boy has a huge crush on her (I don’t blame him, she is gorgeous!). So it’s surprises me people mix acting with real life to imply someone is not straight, but they don’t look at real life facts because it denies what they are dying to say.

Avatar Image says:

mollywobble, I just read your post, basically is what I wanted to ask/say in mine too, I’m happy to see I’m not the only one who understood the comments in that way. But I could have saved the time to write it if I would have read it before… lol

Avatar Image says:

I think Dan should stay away from this board. It could be dangerous to his health. If he reads too many of the comments here, he might actually die laughing.

Avatar Image says:

Dan is awesome; it’s always cool to get a glimpse into his mind. And look at him Rock the Gryffindor hair!

Avatar Image says:

I must reread the article…when did he say anything about america (apart from his attempts at an American accent)? I know what he said on Conan and at the Times Talk – it’s called a sense of humour, folks. As someone said, the first thing he has a go at is himself. He seems to quite like NYC, judging by his comments.

Anyway, I enjoyed the article. He’s never dull.

Avatar Image says:

Dan as Ziggy Stardust!!! Woow. He really is a cameleon, one moment he looks absolutely gorgeous, the other moment a complete geek. it’s a very good intervieuw, but the coverline is a drag! ” HARRY POTTER WANTS TO WEAR A DRESS.” what a load of bollocks, Dan Radcliffe want to play in drag, and has proven himself enough to be Dan Radcliffe, who happens to play Harry Potter. such a line is about the same as writing JAMIE GRAHAM IS GOING TO BE THE CAPED CRUSADER.

Dan did well to remind the reporter of a whole range of child actors who made a succesfull transition to adulthood.

Avatar Image says:

Why do they have to photoshop so much? Dan Radcliff certainly doesn’t need it…

Avatar Image says:

Whoah, for a second there, I thought it was Elijah Wood.

Avatar Image says:

Dan is really growing up into a handsome young man. He’s looking better and better ;)

Avatar Image says:

@ Zorg. I won’t deny that the kid gets on my nerves. A lot. But the TMI information comment was for the journalist, I am surprised to find out that such a well known magazine hires people who are into that style of writing.

And no, I wasn’t looking for something negative to say. I just took offense on what he said. But nevertheless thanks for clearing it up. I thought you were a hater too ;)

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t read the article yet, I may get to it. I just noticed that people were referring to him seeming (or trying to appear) older than he is.

Isn’t he an only child?

I ask this only because I am an only child and just from my own experience and one of my “sister friends” who is also an only child, we come across as older.

I can’t speak for all only children, but from what I know of myself and other only childrren that I know, we tend to gravitate towards older people. And because we are only children, we tend to spend a lot of time within our own thoughts and interests.

Therefore, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dan’s demeanor is comes across as older or if the people he keeps company with is significantly older than himself.

Just had to put that out there…..

Avatar Image says:

wow, the debate rages on! over what, I’m not sure any more. how’s this for a comment: I like dan radcliffe AND lindsey lohan.

Avatar Image says:

I love Dan…I think he’s fascinating…and I have always suspected he is gay. Nothing wrong with it…just sayin

Avatar Image says:

Completely disagree with that anon. Dan being Dan is ten times better than “(get drunk, buy cars, racy myspace photos etc)”. You mean in Hollywood kids are acting like idiots, not kids. He’s an actor an older person can look up too and think, WOW! Some kids in the entertainment industry DO still have a brains! Hallelujah!

Avatar Image says:

They both have brown hair conrad. WTF are you talking about?

Avatar Image says:

sml, the reason why I addressed it to you is because you are from mass. and I felt that I could explain it to you a bit more rationally as we are both americans. Anyway, it is my opinion so please all the fangirls, you can stop with your bickering, it’s just how I feel about it.

Avatar Image says:

So…hey what’s up whit the (hum, hum…-clearly-modified) picture…

Avatar Image says:

Ohhh another Daniel Radcliffe DETAILS cover to put in my locker! LOL I like this one even better! It’s like…neat Daniel versus scruffy Daniel.

Avatar Image says:

wow I’m not saying that natalie and scarlett should be respected for their maturity, I’m saying that not all young actors from hollywood are trainwrecks. anyway, made a comment about not being surprised and I’m sticking to it and frankly, all of you dan fans cannot take anyone’s opinions. CALM DOWN THE WORLD IS NOT OVER!

Avatar Image says:

Dan doesn’t think Brits are better than Amercians. He thinks British actors have a tend to be less treated like stars than American ones. How can idiots take this so out of context?!

Avatar Image says:

ew. dan with red hair.o.....but I get what he’s going at dressing up like that…nice interview

Avatar Image says:

I’m American, and I don’t find anything ofencive to what Dan said. Some Americans need to relax a bit!

Avatar Image says:

I also don’t think Dan was being negative towards America…just pointing out differences. Some good differences, some bad ones. In my opinion that’s being pretty open-minded…you don’t want to be slavishly positive about another culture, but you also don’t want to mercilessly bash it.

The one thing I do have to say, though, is that it seems like actors or musicians from countries outside the U.S., when they are visiting for a press junket or something similar, don’t really censor themselves when it comes to their opinions on America. Don’t like American football? Then do what Eddie Izzard does and call it “Armored Catch”. Don’t like the fact that we even call it football? Mention that too. And that’s all very well and good…everyone is entitled to their opinion, and at least people like Eddie Izzard state theirs in a humorous way…but there seems to be a double standard involved. If, for instance, an American celebrity came on a British, or French, or German talk show, and casually made snide comments about British teeth, or French odor, or German stiffness (all very NOT true stereotypes, by the way), there would be full-on riots. For some AMERICAN to come into their country and insult or besmirch it in any way would be unthinkable…and yet I know there are plenty of people in other countries who have no qualms about doing the same thing to us savages. And another thing, for all our foreign guests on this message board…PLEASE stop basing your impression of Americans on the TV you watch or the celebrities you view. TV is an exaggeration of true American culture, which, I hate to say it, you will probably never understand unless you actually come here. I don’t claim to know what the British people are like because I’ve never been there…but if I based by opinions on movies and television, they I would most likely think that all British people are chimneysweeps like Bert in Mary Poppins, with outrageous Cockey accents…but that’s not true, is it?

Avatar Image says:

Anon and you have a closed-mind.You aren’t his fan,why are you here??GO WITH YOUR RUPERT and stop with those riculous comments,please.

Avatar Image says:

Sounds like anon can not take his/her opinions getting criticized.

Oops,sorry,RIDICULOUS.

Avatar Image says:

Comparing cultures, Brits and Americans, or any other culture for that matter, fascinates me. It’s a chance to hold a mirror up and see myself in another’s eyes. After looking at the differences for a while then the similarities come out. In the end, it affirms who I am and creates deeper respect for others.

I know, I always tend to say the same thing. This seems to be a major theme in my life. I hope I didn’t irritate to many of you.

Ya at eeh (It is good)

Avatar Image says:

AJWC1, I agree with your theory on only children … they do tend to be more mature because they have much more experience associating with adults. Factor in that he was tutored individually and that he was surrounded not only by his parents but by adult “handlers”, bodyguards, etc., and it is only natural that he has seemed mature for his age.

I don’t share his taste in music, but he is an extraordinary reader. I’m over twice his age and I haven’t yet read Chekhov, not even when I was in my serious Russian period. I love that he writes poetry. With his vast experience of literature, I’ll bet he’s pretty good!

He is quick-witted, frank, modest, and never mean. So many people seem to be ready to see him go up in flames. it’s not going to happen! He is a sensible young man. And occasionally a goofball. He is 19, after all!

Sadly, for some reason I could not get SOUND for the video portions of the interview … anyone else have that problem?

Avatar Image says:

Haven’t yet read the article, but just wanted to say WOW he is not painted so sexy in the HP films!

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone else read Agatha Christi’s Ordeal By Innocence? When the author was going on about how Dan doesn’t like girls his own age… I could not stop laughing.

Agatha Christie, I mean.

Avatar Image says:

Quote “Whoah, for a second there, I thought it was Elijah Wood.” ...Ditto that!

Avatar Image says:

I just started tearing up when i read that. That was such a poignant reaction. The last movie will be th end of many things, not just for HP fans for the the world as well.

As for the drag queen, lol. It’s just an example of what Dan says about wrong footing people.

Avatar Image says:

I think I like the previous Details cover better than this one. Dan looks more clean in this one and more thin, but also more airbrushed. Makes me think of George Michael and Colin Farrel and those other Irish little guys. But the interview was great. The university lost an intelligent student when Dan decided to stick to acting.

Avatar Image says:

wow danfans are the cattiest fans. They just can’t handle others opinions. You can’t argue till you change someone’s mind. it’s sad and childish, and if someone doesn’t like dan then that doesn’t automatically mean that they are rupert fans. I like dan’s acting but I don’t like him from the interviews. My opinion, don’t start debating over it now it won’t change.

Avatar Image says:

This is a very interesting discussion. It very clearly demonstrates the many differences in how people interpret the same information. Some people see maturity, humor and wit when they encounter Dan. Some just see a cheeky rude upstart with no appropriate respect for America. I, for one, see the former. Being over 40, maybe it is just that I see him as a fellow adult, and not a heartthrob teenager, and I can view America objectively and still love it.

Please consider what would happen if several peple interviewed you on approximately the same topic over and over during a 2 week period. You would run out of new material. Whatever observations were on your mind during those 2 weeks would be regurgitated many times, no matter how much you tried to “be new”. He’s not railing on America. He’s repeating an observation probably out of complete exhaustion over being asked the same question 20 times. Most of these interviews happened right when he got here, when these observations were fresh.

And, I have traveled outside the U.S. And I have several times been completely embarassed by the behavior of my fellow Americans. We are a great country. However, we don’t always put our best foot forward. On average (remember this doesn’t mean everybody), we are louder, more demanding, more wasteful, and less respectfull than other cultures. For the most part, the behavior that got us where we are today, being independent, risk takers, stubborn, and flamboyant, has paid off. However, there are times that these qualities get us into trouble, especially when observed by people of other origins. It appears that, in a world view, we sort of fill the baby brother role in the family. Everybody loves to be around us because we are so entertaining, but we get annoying at times.

Just remember that it is our differences that make us interesting, and our similarities that allow us to respect and enjoy one another. I think Dan understands this. My hope is that everyone has the maturity to do so.

Avatar Image says:

Regarding his remark about the Olympics, he was talking about the fact that NBC shows a very skewed portion of the Olympics. They showed mostly the US stuff for example in primetime (obviously for the ratings) and they certainly have the right (it’s a business, after all). A lot of people (ie Americans) did complain though. I remember people saying they had to watch the Canadian olympic broadcasting for a better broadcast- they could see other countries and other sports or live. It was just less biased.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, my first thought was that Dan looked way too airbrushed and photoshopped, which is not necessary-his is good enough as is.

I wonder if he likes/approves this kind of thing.

I loved the Ziggy look. Shows that he can he can be fun and different. But I am suprised no one made any vampire analogies (......now quietly hoping not to be flamed by a Twighlighter)

Avatar Image says:

You danfans really cannot handle other peoples opinions! this is certainly not a dan website so if anyone wants to comment on the news they will. And you lot should get over it because everyone who is a hp fan is not necessarily a dan fan. and for the record, don’t assume i love rupert because i stated my opinion. i know there will be a fair few posts being overly defensive again. this is leaky website so i am not at a dan fansite talking about how much i dislike dan, GET OVER IT!

Avatar Image says:

katarina, I have travelled outside of the US several times and we are NOT viewed as the younger brother type country. We are viewed as the country who made many mistakes and are paying for it and the rest of the world is laughing at us. America does not equal Bush and our government and we certainly are the subject of ridicule if not obvious at all times. Some countries, less than others, chide at us but there is negative thought behind the remarks in the first place.

Avatar Image says:

Jules why are you so offended??and yes,we can take opinions but NOT INSULTS OR COMMENTS BASHING.I don’t know if you are a girl or a boy but you are hysterical.

Heyyyyy,

I’m a full fledged, registered, 100%, Rupert fan and proud of it, darn it!!!! Hehehehe…

Don’t assume all Rupert fans are Dan haters….

I commented earlier and I wasn’t bashing.

Just wanted to put that out there. smilie

sings and dances

Why can’t we be friends….

goes off to do mature things that only children like myself do

Avatar Image says:

oh sarah you sound like a total moron. dan is not liked by someone, that’s their opinion. sounds like someone can’t handle little dan-dan getting heat from others. Sweetheart grow up, the world is big bad place and people will say what they want even if it hurts your little feelings. Younwill just have to grow up and deal with it don’t you?

lo

Avatar Image says:

Uuber-hotness. I only wish Photoshop could make ME look that SEXXY!

(Oh yeah, and the article was pretty good, too. lol)

Avatar Image says:

If i need grow up,you need it too,anon.If we can’t take other opinions,you too and i not a moron,learn education ok??

Avatar Image says:

That photo is so photo shopped its a complete joke. He looks nothing like that. He has a real pale complextion for a start and looks quite tanned so thats odd but in the U.S you have to look perfect.

Avatar Image says:

Well, of course it’s photoshopped, but I think he looks great. Then again, I am American so what do I know? =) I don’t think Dan will have a problem breaking free of the Harry Potter role. He’s so talented and interesting. I would love to see him in a Wes Anderson movie.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Anon, this is not a dan fansite and if someone doesn’t like Dan then the others should deal with it. Sarah, keep your knickers on, not everyone is going to like Dan. What you think is not universal and you need to understand that. You sound very immature when you start attacking others who disagree with you. If you all are claiming to be adults just as Dan says he is, then maybe you can also agree that other’s don’t have to conform to what you like? They have their own opinions.

Avatar Image says:

Sarah, you have stated you do like dan and Anon has stated that he/she doesn’t. Can we end it at that? this is so petty.

i’m wondering (since i live in ny) if i get rush tickets to equus i’ll go, otherwise i won’t because it is kind of expensive and i don’t feel like dropping the bucks since i don’t know if i’ll like it or not.

Avatar Image says:

Dan is AWESOME! That’s my favorite interview ever. Seriously. I didnt realize he was SO COOL!

Avatar Image says:

I’m curious to know what the young fans of Dan will think when they find out that he (as he revealed in this interview) lost his virginity to an much older woman at the age of 16. Granted there are fans who are around 40 but most harry potter fans are very young and so I’m not sure how this will effect young fans and whether or not being to open about his sex life while still part of the HP franchise is appropriate. What do you all think? Am I dumb in considering this tp be even an issue?

Avatar Image says:

Most HP fans, I think, are Dan’s age. They’ll either laugh or be non-plussed that he beat them to it. Besides, many fans of his suspected that the ship sailed a while ago. He’s all but said it…till now.

Anyway, I wonder why we don’t focus on the really positive things he says about his family and his independence in thought and action. He likes to read and to talk about books. What a fantastic thing for younger HP fans to learn about! He doesn’t like being referred to as a role model, but in this way, i.e. his love of learning and his rebellion in keeping people guessing, are great things for kids to know. Plus, I will forever appreciate his passing comment about having dyspraxia, as my child does too, and he was endlessly pleased to hear about Dan (that sounds funny, but I mean it in a good way).

I’ve come to really like this young actor and intend to follow his career till they put me in the ground. I hope for lots of good acting projects and amusing interviews.

Anyways, Details is not for the under-14 set, imo.

Avatar Image says:

Most fans are not dans age…. the thing is.. is that there are soooo many potter fans, that we will never know an average age.

But to answer sammie’s question: I started reading the Potter books when the first movie came out…. so Dan’s face wlll always be Harry in my eyes (just the way things turned out.)

So that makes me extremely disturbed by this piece of info. I dont know… maybe its just how naive i am…..but I wont be able to look at Dan the same anymore. When i look at Dan, i see the boy who plays Harry Potter, and to know that he lost his virginity before Harry even had his first kiss just irritates me. I know its not my business and he can do what ever the heck he wants, but still….. he totallly has ruined his face of Harry in my eyes. I think its something he should have kept to himself until after the movies were over.

Avatar Image says:

He’s an actor, ariana. Why don’t you focus on the other things in the article? Or better yet, read one of those books on his list.

Good Lord People…

@Sammie – The young Fans? Honestly this boy DOES NOT work for Disney he does not HAVE TO keep his sex life privet . 2. As Bebe said Details is not for the under-14 ( the last issue he was in had an article on Anal Sex. Child Friendly? ) 3. He has made comments on his sex life before in other interviews, if some of you fallow his interviews and are just now catching on and consider yourself an ’ older fan ’ then I’m sure the ’ younger fans’ are completely oblivious even now. 4 . I think if your a parent and you don’t want your kid to have sex at 16 then teach them not to and how about try not letting a celebrity raise your child. He’s not a Damn Babysitter, hes an actor and hes human might I add ( I’m sure he is not the only one of the of the trio/ on set/ in the world that have had sex before 18 and unmarried ) And you say they are ’ Very Young Fans ’ , where the hell are these kids parents that they got a hold of this magazine or this link?

@ariana – When she says ’ Most fans are Dan’s age’ she means the ones who are 14 – 0lder. Not the ones who are fans of ” Harry Potter ” and have no idea how to use youtube or what this article is talking about. And His fans, are the screaming fangirls out on the street, ready to rip his clothes off when they see him. Those are the fans that will read this article and say ” Well DUH! He has said hes not a virgin before and before he hit 16 he said he was looking forward to sex. No NEW news here ” OR ” NOOOO, he had sex…and it wasn’t with me/ and it was before me. cries ” . See your the type of ’ fan ’ that grinds my gears. Your always going to see an ACTOR in and INNOCENT ROLE for the rest of his CAREER? Then hon get ready for one hell of a ride because he is not going to be that Little boy we knew 8-9 years ago. Hes an Adult and he is a Man. Get Over it or forget about him forever. Don’t chew him out because hes growing up in a way ( that was always apparent 0 but you refuse to except reality.

Avatar Image says:

The tabloids have started picking on what Dan said in that interview. From the “drag queen”- to the loss of virginity at 16- to the David Bowie pics- to the American “bashing”. I guess that’s the price of being at the top – people pick on the littlest thing you say since it’s guranteed to be hot copy in the press. I bet this Details issue will be one of the biggets sellers again. The Details issue featuring Dan on the cover also was a best seller that year.

Avatar Image says:

I think you people are getting too defensive. It is a question I am asking and many people will feel different about it because harry potter fans will become younger and younger through the the years and after they watch the movie they will inevitably be a dan fan. And then with the internet, it’s so easy too read interviews and stuff on these people and the younger fans are very impressionable. In any case I thought it was an interesting topic but obviously some of you are really offended/angry that I even brought it up so let’s just leave it at that then. People like Rose are not happy that this topic has surfaced, I guess we should be mum about things dan says lest we anger people like Rose. Frankly I thought people were adults here and could but it’s getting too offhand. I meant to say fans that are around the age 12 or under and they do have internet access. Secondly I asked whether it was appropriate while still a part of the hp franchise because believe it or not, my 7 year oeld cousin has started reading the hp books. Although they don’t hold a genre for hp like disney does, hp has very young fans because if you see the J.K. Rowling readings of the books, most of the kids are very young and very soon they will have internet access. Anyway, it was an opinion issue i brought up because i thought it’d be interesting to see what others thought but Rose’s aggressiveness is making me think otherwise. No need to be defensive or harsh. Just opinion.

Avatar Image says:

well since i have already read the whole article online I’m not going to buy the magazine. I do feel a little weird that dan brought the whole older woman virginity loss up because now when I see those interviews he gave when he was 16 with the hp crew or on the set, i won’t see the innocence anymore =( I feel as though he should wait till he is out of hp to get into the nitty gritty of his sex life. My opinion. love you dan. I’m an older fan btw.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think the comment about his virginity was the most interesting part of that article at all, what about being close to his family, his interests, how he lives his life and sees himself….that says more about him as a person. All these extraordinary things have happened to him, yet he still seems to see that all in the context of his normal life . I think that’s remarkable.

I think there’s a lot of pressure for all the trio and I admire their composure and the way they conduct themselves.They don’t lead wild, crazy, hedonistic lives. He hasn’t done anything wrong by revealing what he did….he’s 19! And if it makes people uncomfortable, maybe that says more about those people than about Dan.

And it’s his professional life that we’re involved in , not his personal one.

Avatar Image says:

Well said, Lynn. And just because I gave my view does not mean that I was being defensive, sammie. I wasn’t. I said we could choose to focus on all the other really positive things he said, and that Dan was a person who could be admired.

Avatar Image says:

He still is very adorable…. And I still like him!

But don’t! Don’t go telling a interviewer when it was you lost your virginity!.... C’mon….. it is just wrong…. we don’t really care Danny Boy!!!! It is certainly not appropriate. And to everyone saying it is cool…. hm… if it was a girl, I don’t know… Emma or Bonnie…. telling the exactly same story…. then it would be different, huh? and don’t come and tell me it wouldn’t…..

Yes… everything else will be overshadowed by that bit…. and all the tabloids are making a story about it. That is how it works Daniel fans!!! Let’s just hope he learns and keep certain things to himself next time.

Avatar Image says:

Learn??omg he isn’t the first famous talking about the “first time”and he won’t the last,you could read a lot of famous talking about sex.Why is tabu for you??we are in 2008.

Avatar Image says:

I never said it was taboo… I just said what i said. Nothing more. I don’t care what other ‘famous’ talk about i just expected little better of Daniel, that is all. I don’t have a problem with anyone speaking about sex… he had done it before with wit, grace and tact. He didn’t this time. And yes… it is 2008! First prize! lol

Avatar Image says:

You make a good point , Carol, about if it were Emma revealing the same scenario it wouldn’t be received the same way. It should be, but probably wouldn’t.

But I don’t think Dan meant it to be the focus of the interview, I just see the media spinning it that way. I think he was probably asked a direct question, and gave a direct and honest anwser. I can’t fault him for that . I don’t think it’s going to have any long term effects.

Avatar Image says:

Ok Sammie sorry if I came off to harsh but I was stating my opinion on this article and how I feel people are making to big a deal about this. As the years go on Sam, Dan and the rest of the Trio will be doing more adult roles ( What is Equus not enough now? What about Rupert in Cherry Bomb? ) and by the time they become old enough to look at the internet and research their other films they will find movies that are nothing like Harry Potter. J.K Rowling is the Author of the books, why wouldn’t kids go and see her? Like I said before, your cousin should not be raised by a celebrity, ever. Teach him/her diffrent morals.

I can look at Dan in either light but I see a lot of good in this article and all you people can talk about is the ” Bad” and ” Disturbing” and none of the good things. I’m 20 and I feel I’m being very adult about this but I just feel some people are being a bit anal abut his sex life coming up ( again ).

@Carol – I really hate this double standard. If Dan can talk about his sex life and get little to no backlash. Then I would like to hear the female cast members do the same ( whether I WANT TO hear it or not ), its not fair.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for clarifying yourself Rose, I am 21 and I feel that although dan is an adult, the hp fans are quite young (ofcourse there are older ones) but he should consider what part oof his life he is discreet about and which parts he isn’t. I just wanted to see what others felt about this issue. Should Dan be more discreet about his sex life considering his position as part of the HP franchise? I am a liberal myself, but I think that for the most part, wait until you are out of HP to speak so freely about your sex life because until 2011 which is when the whole hp film series is over, lots of young people are going to be aware of dan’s behavior in terms of sexual activity, and I’m not sure how comfortable I am with him being this liberal while still part of the franchise. I’m sure others will feel differently and that is why I thought this was an interesting topic. I am strictly thinking in terms of the younger generations who are getting introduced to the books and the movies (namely my cousin). I do think in a way, since Dan is 19, he should be a little bit more responsible about what he says and does in the media. I still love dan. And thanks for apologizing Rose, you did come off as very defensive and this is an open discussion topic and not an argument that I chose to post what I did.

Avatar Image says:

Rose, I have to agree with sammie, I am all for his acting abilities but a little more discretion can be used in terms of his sex life. I have seen numerous younger fans lined outside all the hp premieres, I have been to a few since I am lining in New York, and it makes me a little uncomfortable. Is dan a good actor? yes he is. Could he be a little more responsible in handling the way he speaks? yes he could and he should.

other than that Dan has a lot of good qualities, so caring about the younger fans should be one of them also.

Avatar Image says:

@Rose. I’m glad my comment haven’t been completely overlooked… I also hate the double standard… I think the line should be drawn in the middle. Not totally cool with it (like in this case) and not totally scandalized by it (if it was one of the girls) ... A bit of tact goes a long way…. what I mean is if I were his mother he would get a big pul on his ear! lol….(and no… I’m not that old! :P)

And I don’t mean to take a go at him…. what bothers me more, i think, is the reaction….

And as I said before…. he is still has great taste and is adorable, intelligent, funny, talented…. all that jazz!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe it is the HP sites that need to be more discreet about what they post on here. This interview was done while promoting Equus – a play in which Dan plays a very mature role. The trio’s life goes on outside of HP and I would expect all three of them to be asked questions about their sexual experience if it is pertinent to their performance – with no double standards for the girls either!

I think Dan is a great role model for young kids. He works hard, had great grades, and if my kids picked up any of the books he quotes, I’d be thrilled.

Avatar Image says:

Dan has wanted to portray David Bowie in a film for years as well as play Punk in A Midsummer’s Night Dream, looks like Details magazine gave him the chance to do both….....incredible photography!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dan ovciously has a blast!!.......and he is absolue joy! and gorgeous to boot…... on the cover. I love both the Details covers he has done….last years and this one….they are both varying looks at a very diverse personalty and incrediblely talented indiviual.

Avatar Image says:

“Should Dan be more discreet about his sex life considering his position as part of the HP franchise? I am a liberal myself, but I think that for the most part, wait until you are out of HP to speak so freely about your sex life because until 2011 which is when the whole hp film series is over, lots of young people are going to be aware of dan’s behavior in terms of sexual activity, and I’m not sure how comfortable I am with him being this liberal while still part of the franchise.” Posted by Sammie on September 04, 2008 @ 03:52 PM

I fully agree with Sammie 100% on this statement. I absolutely love him and I think he’s absolutely fantastic & talented (and GORGEOUS too! LOL), but I also think that he should of been a bit discreet with his sex life, and that if he wanted to talk about it, then he should of waited until after HP.

BUT THEN…. That’s just my opinion.

As for him offending America… I actually didn’t find it offensive at all. As a matter of fact, I found it quite hilarious!

I loved the interview and pictures! He always has that wit & sarcastic sense of humor that I absolutely love!

Avatar Image says:

XD I feel the need to explain myself again.

I DO agree with to others. As far as him keeping a tighter lip on his sex life. But I do NOT have a Problem with him talking about it, it does not make me flinch. ( And honestly, getting a diffrent interview then the standard is refreshing ) But like what the Rag Mags are writing about him now, most I’m sure is bad press ( and full of BS ). I think as he gets older he will learn to keep his mouth shut about certain things because most older actors are ” No Comment ” about this sort of thing but when they were younger they were not as ’ hush hush ’.

But I think he is young and really couldnt care less what the mags say ( I’m sure beautiful groupies are throwing themselves at him, daily. Good For him, no?haha ) He says he never reads them and so he sees them/ is told about them and I’m sure his attitude is ” Yeah I get some. You Perezz and Ragmag writers should try it sometime. I tell ya, its a better way to spend your time then fallowing my every move ”.

I also don’t think he always thinks when he is in interviews. You’ve seen the way he talks ( a mile a minute ) and I think he can get caught up in it. Like when he mentioned his disease recently and then regretted it. In all the other video interviews I have seen when the interviewer leans towards a sexual question, hes very quick witted and sly/ish. If they talk about his sex life hes either quick witted/ish ( Jonathan Ross anyone? ) or discreet . I like someone else said, he was asked a specific answer and decided to answer honestly ( whether he really thought it through…who knows? Why was the actual question not IN the article? hmm ). I have never heard him say out right ” I’m not a virgin and I have sex with older women ”. The Jon Ross Interview let everyone know he was not a virgin and he always talks about women, ALL of them older. I just think it was all about connecting the dots. For some reason he was not as discreet in this interview.

Avatar Image says:

ABC.com actually has a slideshow up of leading men who lost it early lol. Thing is, Dan is not the youngest or only one to have had , er, experiences early on, and in fact he was legally of age to have it.

Avatar Image says:

Break a leg Dan and Richard and all the cast and crew of Equus!

Avatar Image says:

Wow. I didnt mean to get people mad. i was just stating my opinion, but that whys i said at the end: Dan can do what ever the heck he wants because in the end…Its his life. None of his fans have any say what so ever in his life. I do feel however… this was information maybe that should have been kept private. Harry Potter is not a part of Disney Channel, but the Harry Potter books are a children’s series. Dan Radcliffe had fans that range from 7 years old to ….years old. It may have been a good idea on his part to really think about these young fans. As sammie said, 7 year olds do have internet access. They will find out. And they wont understand why “Harry” lost his viginity when he doesnt even have a “girlfriend” or a “wife”. Most younger fans do think of Dan as Harry; they just didnt have the pleasure of knowing Harry before Dan. Please remember, this is my opinon.

Avatar Image says:

Rose, Im sorry that Im the type of fan that “grinds your gears”. For the rest of Dan’s Potter career, I would have seen Dan as the “Innocent Harry Potter”. I will totally admit to that. I dont understand what is wrong with that though, I am an innocent person. Not everyone on this site is an adult; I am not one. Therefore, I believe I have every right to think and be as innocent for as long as I want to. Innocence is something that once taken away, it can never be given back. Its not that Im “not accepting the reality” of the situation, because I do. People lose their virginity all the time, at all ages, all around the world. It only disturbs me because Dan plays Harry Potter. In my eyes, Dan IS HARRY POTTER. So When Dan lost his viriginity, Harry lost his too. Harry’s first real girlfriend wont be special anymore to me. Just because now i know that dan lost his virginity.

Im sorry if i upset you, but this is my view on the situation. And no matter what Dan does with his hairdresser (lol), I will always love him! hehe :)))

Avatar Image says:

Ariana, so you’re not an adult yet so apparently you cant help but be innocent, that’s fine. You can chose to see Dan in whatever light you wish. But I’m just saying its Wrong to Chew him Out for doing what Loads of People at 16 did/are doing that he’ll do anyway in life whether you like it or not. But I suppose you wont get over this until you get older. Time Will tell.

Oh well, whatever XD

Avatar Image says:

Again, I feel that Dan is doing what lots of other people have done. Many actors may have lost their virginity way before Dan has but that is not the reason why people are discussing this matter. It is the viewpoint that many actors are not part of or had not been a part of the biggest childrens book/film series portraying a character that children love, in the movies. I feel that being a part of the franchise, he is in a position to be more responsible and therefore more discreet until 2011 than other actors because of the fan base and so he will be scrutinized for what he says. He can have his own personal life and by all means Dan, do whatever you want. But please have the “No comment” attitude while you are part of HP because these children essentially, will be following your life and parents cannot ban harry potter related websites and therefore these kinds under 11, 12 years old will get all the information of the sex life of the actor who plays their favorite character (and for most young people, therefore becomes their favorite celebrity) and so I feel that Dan should be more responsible and lead a No comment attitude like the rest of the cast. After HP is over, people will accept that Dan has no obligation to maintain a persona and so he can say whatever he wants. He would have “graduated” from HP and so the topic wouldn’t be debated. And hopefully Dan will learn soon because as others who have watched his interviews can clearly see, he talks a mile a minute and says things that he regrets later. Well that is my opinion and that’s what I thought would be interesting to hear about from the rest of his fans.

Avatar Image says:

ya. i totally agreee. even though im almost 16, i feel as though thats something that i dont want to know. or well really need to know.

haha i wanted to go see the show (just because it has dan in it)... but then i realized i realllllly didnt want to see dan naked. lol. i probably wouldnt be allowed in anyways.

Avatar Image says:

haha the things they were making him say!!!! haha :)) but hopefull, he wont loose his GREAT british accent. i fell in love with his voice…. (what?!? haha… i’m a bit crazy at the moment…:)) )

Write a Reply or Comment