Details on Cave Scene, Events on Astronomy Tower from HBP Screening

113

Sep 07, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Hang on everyone, we have another treat this morning! In addition to the first report from the test screening of “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” which took place yesterday in Chicago, TLC reader Rachezee sent us a new report today. This new report goes into great detail on the dramatic Cave Scene with the Inferi, as well as the pivotal events on the Astronomy tower with Snape, Draco and Dumbledore. Again a MAJOR SPOILER CAUTION is given, scroll down to read.

Thanks so much Rach!

SCROLL DOWN

SCROLL DOWN

LAST CHANCE BEFORE REPORT

I am so sorry everyone, in my haste to write my review I completely forgot the cave scene! So here it is-

Dumbledore meets Harry at the top of the Astronomy tower and they apparate to outside the cave. As they are leaving Harry is surprised that that they can apparate from within the Hogwarts grounds, and Dumbledore says something along the lines of “That’s the beauty of being headmaster.”

The scene they apparate to, despite being slightly unfinished was nonetheless absolutely breathtaking. Cliffs and huge waves dominate the scene. Dumbledore finds their way to the anti-chamber and slits his hand (for you star trek fans ’ he does it in a Klingon way ’ straight across the inside of his hand). The wall crumbles away and Dumbledore explains to Harry that Voldemort would have set up defenses around the Horcrux.

The cave is very different than what I had pictured and than all the fan art I have seen, but still a chilling and amazing sight. It reminded me a bit of a normal cave mixed with the ice crystal place Superman goes to in one of his movies. The whole cave is a vast formation of huge crystals, jagged and rough, jutting out from the ceiling walls and floor.

They make their way to the water and Dumbledore cautions Harry not to touch it and he starts to raise the boat with magic. Then he has Harry reel it in with a very heavy long chain.

The island is a formation of crystals as is the basin. Now the only really cheesy and unspectacular thing about this whole scene is that they use a large white clam shell partially imbedded in a small rock to scoop up the potion. In my opinion it looked rather silly. Dumbledore tell Harry to force him to drink the potion and Gambon once again does a slightly better than usual job being forced to drink the potion.

At one point towards the end you can very softly hear Dumbledore mumble something like “please don’t hurt them, it’s all my fault.” But it was almost inaudible and I doubt anyone who has not read the book caught the line at all. Then after the last scoop is drunk, Gambon kind of goes back to his rather poor, unresearched acting and says with far too much strength. “Harry, Water.”

But first Harry goes back to the Basin and recovers the locket and in the background we can hear Dumbledore saying “Harry, water” getting slightly weaker each time he says it. Harry attempts to fill the basin with water the aguamenti charm, but can not get the scoop the water up with that silly shell. After trying several times and Dumbledore starting to collapse he goes to the lake to fill it there.

Suddenly the light that was emanating from the island with the basin goes out, and Harry lights his wand (most unfortunately with the non-existent spell luminous-maximus, or whatever it was he used in the beginning of the third movie), and slowly reaches down to scoop up the lake water. The moment he touches it a hand reaches out and grabs Harry’s wrist. The whole audience jumped in fear. Harry tries to fend off the inferi with all the spells we hear him try in the books. But in the end he is pulled down into the water.

Before I go on I must say the Inferi scene was one of the most spectacular of this movie. They looked a bit like the newer version of the Dementor, but much more human shaped and brownish. I fear I am not describing them well, because they were truly a scary site to see. The camera angles captured the scene of Harry trying hopelessly to defend himself and Dumbledore from them as they clambered onto the island from all different angles and the sheer number of them eventually overwhelms Harry and he is pulled down deep into the lake.

While Harry is underwater the view we have is from below him looking up and we can see the whole island from below as well. Suddenly the Inferi holding Harry releases him and he swims up to a surface covered in ferocious flame. The “ring of fire” Dumbledore conjures is an unbelievable sight, far more than I think anyone pictured in the books, but incredibly spectacular. Harry and Dumbledore climb back in the boat and the scene then cuts to Harry helping Dumbledore through the cave.

The every so anticipated lines of (I am paraphrasing) “Don’t worry sir, I’ll get us back” and Dumbledore replying “I am not worried, I am with you” are said. Executed very well by Radcliffe though rather poorly in my opinion by Gambon who clearly does not know the significant emotional value we fans know those lines have.

They then apparate back to the top of the astronomy tower. There is no dark mark in the sky. But as Dumbledore says he needs Severus not Madame Pomfrey they hear a commotion and Dumbledore orders Harry to go and hide and not come out or interfere. A command the book Harry would never have followed, but that the movie Harry would obey. Harry goes underneath the wooden floor of the tower where Dumbledore is standing where he can see everything through large gaps between the wood slates. Draco arrives and Tom does a brilliant job as a boy trying to be fierce and terrified at the same time. Some lines from the book are rather butchered by Dumbledore saying things like “Draco, you are not an assassin.” Then the Death Eaters arrive all in masks except Bellatrix and Greyback. Bellatrix urges Draco to do it though his wand lowers slightly.

Meanwhile under the floor Harry who is watching terrified with his wand at the ready is sneaked up on by Snape, whose wand is also out and puts his finger to his lips to make sure Harry stays quiet. My description does not quite capture that scene well enough, but I was surprised to find my heart ripping, perhaps because I knew what was going to happen when Snape appeared there. Snape quietly appears above, and Dumbledore, with far too much strength says “Severus Please.”

And Snape does the Avada Kadavra, and Bellatrix is ecstatic. The scene with Dumbledore being lifted into the air was unfortunately unfinished because we see him up in the air and then apparently falling down the side of the tower, but there was no motion yet. He is stationary in both scenes. I am sure more special effects will be added later. Then Bellatrix casts the Dark Mark (another amazing updated special effect with a black smoke skull and snake tongue). The Deatheaters all run out, destroying a bit of the castle in a euphoric tantrum along the way. There is no battle inside Hogwarts and the only one to chase them is Harry.

There was no Amycus or Alecto anywhere I could see. Oh, and there is no Rosmerta either. Forgot to mention that before.

Anyway, the Deatheaters set Hagrid’s hut on fire and the scene I already described happens between Harry and Snape. Harry then returns to find the whole school gathered around Dumbledore’s body, McGonagall in the front completely stunned and silent. Harry kneels down at Dumbledore’s side, brushes a hair out of his face and finds the locket, but does not open it. Clutching the locket He starts to cry and Ginny goes and holds him also crying. Then following McGonagall’s lead, everyone lights there wand (I think they all murmur something in unison but I can’t remember what) and slowly raise them as one in the air. Final shot of that scene is from above with all the lighted wands surrounding the tower, Dumbledore, Harry and Ginny.

177 Responses to Details on Cave Scene, Events on Astronomy Tower from HBP Screening

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for giving us some more. I wish I hadn’t read about the part in the cave where the audience jumped, because I LOVE being scared like that. Oh well. Sounds wonderful. Can’t wait.

Avatar Image says:

omg, i can’t believe we have another 321 days to wait.

this sounds amazing!!

Avatar Image says:

Surely Snape telling Harry to be quiet is ruining the ambiguity of his character (yeah msot of us worked out what side he was on but do they have to spell it out so soon?!)? If that’s what you were saying I’m disappointed, not particuarly surprised (it is Kloves the butcher after all) but irritated yet again.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Leaky!!!! great news!

Avatar Image says:

why cant they stick to the books more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1st ??

Avatar Image says:

As a person who is loyal to the books and who has, in the past been very dissapointed with direction away from the books the films have taken, I sympathize with the people who are dissapointed with what they are reading about this film.

But I want to give you all a new way of looking at this. I think why I was so pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this film despite the changes and cuts is because it is something new!

Unfortunately with the last book written, we no longer have the luxury of the hopeful anticipation of an whole new book to sate our lust for more Harry.

This movie did far better than usual with its fabrications as they were actually funny, for the most part, well acted. It was so exciting to see something new based on the world we all love so much. It sure beats the endless dissecting of every detail from each of the seven books we have been reduced to recently.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!! That sounds sooooo exciting!!! Now I really can’t wait to see it!! I just will imagine Richard Harris in place of Gambon, that’s what I already have done for the other movies. He was the ultimate Dumbledore!

Avatar Image says:

Who was the script writer for OotP? I liked him a lot better. But the movie still sounds awesome! I wish they would have kept the funeral scene though…

Avatar Image says:

Wow, almost what I wanted to read or hear about Dumbledore’s final moments on screen. Too bad they chose not to use the actress that they used in POA as Rosmerta when we were told about Sirius , James, and Wormtail. But I am really looking forward to being startled when the Inferi come out of the water and grab Harry to take him back under.

I remember when Harry fought the Basilisk in COS, and gripping the armrests in fear that Harry was going to die. I too always enjoy being scared like that

Avatar Image says:

what’s the point of a screening this early when we don’t get the movie for nearly a year??? kind of lame…

Avatar Image says:

As this review is from an admitted ‘book details nazi’, I’ll ignore it and wait to make up my own mind. The claim of Radcliffe emoting a line correctly while Gambon does not already makes me suspicious.

Avatar Image says:

I really wish people would actually stop and think before criticising the actors work as “unresearched”. The actors DO WHAT THE DIRECTOR TELLS THEM. Gambon played the scene this way because David Yates told him to. How many times does this have to be said?!

It just annoys me that fans always blame the wrong people in the movies. Like the Map explanation being left out of PoA – that happened because test screening audiences said they found it boring and it wasn’t relevant to the movie. It was cut because the average film-goer – the 90% who aren’t book fans – weren’t interested in it. Simple as that.

Get your facts straight, people.

Avatar Image says:

I actually laughed at the fact that Gambon apparently didn’t deliver “Severus, please” very well and stuff like that. After all, that was the line we were obsessing over for two years before we got Hallows. I just can’t seem to care about this movie anymore. It’s just gonna mess up my canon again and it’s not gonna come out untill july.

I just feel, Gambon messed up again, oh well. Boring actually. Weird but true.

Avatar Image says:

ok everyone knows Gambon is a terrible dumbledore so i think we can kinda ignore that. what about the funeral and breaking up with ginny? we need that scene! not only is it a very emotional scene for harry but it is also when hermione and ron say they are going to help harry find the horcruxes (horcri?).

Avatar Image says:

i’m an h/g shipper so i’m greatly thrilled that at the end of Dumbledore’s death scene, harry is being comforted by ginny.

Avatar Image says:

“I am not worried, I am with you” is the most touching line in the whole series!

Avatar Image says:

argggg the wait is gon to be even harder now :(

Avatar Image says:

Oh, Gambon, please don’t destroy the scenes I was waiting for. I saw the scenes like very emotional.

Avatar Image says:

I’m a little dissappointed that they didnt stick to the book a little bit better, but maybe when i actually see the whole thing i’ll like it better. The movie still does sound really good though.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I can’t wait! I started to cry, when I read about this scene, where Harry is crying! : D It’ll be awesome movie, I’m sure. I just wished it would be out sooner… :’(

And yes, We all know Gambon is a terrible Dumbledore… Well, we can’t have Harris…

Avatar Image says:

Wow, uh, I’m even more disapointed. So yeah.

No “KILL ME?” What? Tha was one of the lines I was looking forward to!

Avatar Image says:

You know, I get very annoyed with all the hate for Gambon I consistently see here. He is a fine actor and a believably powerful Dumbledore. And anyone who questions his acting abilities should go watch his performance in the BBC miniseries “Wives and Daughters.” It is amazing. I won’t say anything about the sixth movie because since I have not seen it myself it would be ridiculous to put forth an opinion.

Avatar Image says:

So we seem to have Draco being more than usually competent mending the cabinet without lookouts, Harry being dragged underwater by inferi, which didn’t happen, a stronger-than-he-should-be Dumbledore, an un-immobilised Harry not rushing to his headmaster’s aid, but rushing alone after Snape in fury, and no support from his friends in the defence of the school. Rivetting stuff! Do I really want to see this film?

Avatar Image says:

That sounds awesome, though once again, Gambon fails to be a Dumbledore as good as Richard Harris was, too bad. I am so excited for the movie though still really pissed that WB delayed it!! I hope they release more of these spoilers to make up for delaying the HBP!!

Avatar Image says:

@ RSBB Well said, although your wasting your time with most people here.

Thank you!

Avatar Image says:

If you are a true HP fan (books), this movie is going to totally going to SUCK. No wonder they moved it to July ‘09 to make money. When true fans get wind of how the story was butchered, they will be less enthusiastic about spending $10 on a crappy movie, and more likely to just read the book again.

Avatar Image says:

I think Gambon is a fine Dumbledore and I like him better than Richard Harris. I don’t see where all the hate is coming from. So to those who say, ‘We all know Gambon is a terrible DD, etc etc unlimited rice pudding etc’, please stop. Just stop. It’s very juvenile.

And for God’s sake, WATCH THE MOVIE BEFORE YOU JUDGE IT.

This fandom never fails to amaze me.

Avatar Image says:

i too love Gambon as Dumbledore. Richard Harris is a dim memory. Gambon IS the Dumbledore of the later books.

Avatar Image says:

So how the film actually end? Was the overhead shot of the lit wands the end of the film, or just of that scene?

Are there hints about the Elder Wand? Fawkes’s Lament?

Avatar Image says:

To John who gets sick and tired of fans critisizing Michael Camdon. Well newsflash. SIR Michael has admitted that he is “ALLOWED” a lot of freedom in his portrayal of Dumbledore, including what he wears. I think he sucks big time and what sucks even more is that directors allow the SIR to have so much freedom because he really spoils it for me and so many others. So John, sorry but I join the group that makes u sick and tired.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always loved Gambon’s Dumbledore… I personnaly think he’s much more fun and alive that Richard Harris, who made Dumbledore look like a tired old man, without any energy left… I really can’t picture him fighting Voldemort in OotP. I love the fact that Snape comes to see Harry before killing Dumbledore. I don’t agree with someone who said it makes Snape’s allegiances clear – it will make him look like a filthy git who until the very last moment, pretends to be on Harry’s side… On the other side, it’s really disappointing that there’s no Hogwarts battle… the OotP battle felt so rushed and akward. I hope they get the DH battle right…

Avatar Image says:

Seriously, if Gambon does not make me cry, I will make someone cry in the theater by hitting them furiously! I am hoping beyond hope that he pulls off a good performance. Is he even an actor? Seriously. I’m so mad! Please Gambon, pull off an amazingggg performance as Dumbledore! I’ve never had that much of a problem with Gambon until I read this review. Yes, his voice is much deeper and more fierce, but I thought that after he read the script of HBP he’d be much softer with his voice… I guess not! :(

But anyway, the whole thing sounds amazing! The crystal island makes me pretty disappointed – don’t they ever get anything correct? The shell part is pretty stupid too. I mean, it wouldn’t hurt to have DD conjure a goblet, right?!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Gambon is an actor. He was not hired to play the part because he sucks. He was hired because he’s a fine actor.

Avatar Image says:

I’m just amazed peope actually think Harris was GOOD! By any standards, Richard Harris was an appalling Dumbledore. Tired, sleepy, lacking Dumbledore’s great energy and sparkle, zero eccentricity, and no sense of any real depth to his character. His line readings were also quite odd at times, and his woeful performance in CoS ruined the tension of many scenes in that film.

Gambon is by far the better actor – any decent film or theatre critic will tell you as much – and by any reasonable standards, he plays by far the more effective Dumbledore, in every way.

Fans are funny sometimes. :p

Avatar Image says:

Good review, but I wish you had left your personal opinion of Michael Gambon out of it.

Avatar Image says:

The awful and totally disinterested Gambon may ruin it for us all I fear.

Avatar Image says:

@ Ticked HP fan – I am a true fan of the books but unlike morons like you, I appreciate these movies as adaptions of JKR’s fabulous story, as I believe she herself does.

Avatar Image says:

I loved Michael Gambon’s Dumbledore, especially in OOTP, can’t wait to see him in this new film. He is completely ‘my Dumbledore’, I see him when I read the books. I don’t see any need to be so disrespectful towards amazing, hardworking actor. He surely does the best he can in portreying the role. That his protreyal can’t fit with EVERYONES idea of Dumbledore is inevitable, especially so, that he took over from original actor. He has dificult task and he is doing great job.

Avatar Image says:

Ginny holding Harry while he cries!!! Ginny holding Harry while he cries!!! Ginny holding Harry while he cries!!!

OMG it better not be cut! These scenes sound great!

Avatar Image says:

Sounds like it was completely butchered.

Avatar Image says:

What happens after that scene though???!!! Please don’t tell me that is the end of the movie?!!!! Do they do dumbledore’s funeral or not? PLEASE TELL US! Sorry, I’m just a little panicked at thispoint. They always cut out important scenes from the ends of all the books. They need to set up the fact that Harry isn’t coming back next year and that he is breaking up with Ginny.

Avatar Image says:

M Jones - IMHO Harris seemed more disinterested than Gambon. With all due respect to the deceased, he acted like cardboard.

Avatar Image says:

That’s cool of her to give us a review, but I feel like all the personal hate toward Gambon was completely unnecessary. Why does everyone hate Gambon so much anyway? He’s a fantastic Dumbledore. Much better than Harris, who, no offense, sounded like a Dumbledore who was about to keel over.

Avatar Image says:

Well well, more incoherent boring stuff. If they go on like this, WB should call their movies any name but not HP, as this has almost nothing to do with the books.

I don’t like Gambon either, I see him like an advanced alcoholic, making a lot of fool of himself, beliving that he is “great and powerful” but after a few more cups of Whisky he would collaps on a park bank.

How can he disapparat from the A. tower but not conjure a goblet ???

Go on WB, bring out more of this stuff and the cinema will be completely empty

Avatar Image says:

I only want to ask if hermione is appearing as much as she did on OotP. Does she? Ron obviously appears more.

Avatar Image says:

Man, this slogging on Gambon is just dumb. Movie lesson #1, kiddies: it is the DIRECTOR who decides how all actors perform. Gambon did what Yates wanted done. They did not do it for the “fans”: they did it for the story.

Seriously, this whole review is tainted by an anti-Gambon bias that makes it useless. Hopefully we’ll get objective reviews soon on non-HP sites!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t personally hate Gambon, he’s a jolly good actor, but I don’t like the way Dumbledore is portrayed. It’s not just Gambon’s fault, it’s everyone from the director to whoever chooses the costumes (whatever happened to the half-moon spectacles?). His Dumbledore doesn’t feel like the same character from the books. I’m not saying Harris was perfect, but I think generally he was better.

I don’t really mind a lot of the changes mentioned in this review. Just so long as it’s a good film and follows the same general storyline of the books then I’ll eb happy. Althoguh I don’t understand the point in changing the goblet to a shell…. surely it wouldn’t exactly have been difficult to have Dumbledore conjure it from thin air?

OMG! Sounds amazing!

Avatar Image says:

k, so this sounds dissapointing, when i read the book i thought that they had to get the last 4 chapters solid, they are the emotional highpoint of the series, the weak and child like dumbledore being held by harry, the death scene, and to me the most important scene, the infirmary and the phoniex song! where is the song??! whenever i feel bad or down i read that chapter, it always give me goosebumps, i understand the movie is not the book, but a little respect for some of the pivotal moments from the book is almost mandatory…..and one last thing ….... WHERE IS THE FRIGGIN FUNERAL SCENE??

Avatar Image says:

I think the SNape and Harry scene makes perfect sense. Everyone assumed SNape was on their side still, even when he comes up to Harry and tells him to be quiet. It has the same effect as the book scene when Hermione and Luna just let him leave after Flitwick was hurt. The image of SNape being good is only shattered after he kills Dumbledore. I like it.

Avatar Image says:

I’m looking forward to the cave scene, but Harry just hides while Draco almost kills Dumbledore and then Snape actually does? I guess this is the price we pay for being hardcore fans- the movies will never capture the essence of the books; because audiences just wouldn’t get it.

Avatar Image says:

HEY THE FUNERAL SCENE IS GOING TO BE IN DH1.

Avatar Image says:

NO RAB???? NO RAB?????????????

is horrified

No Bill/Fleur, no Lupin/Tonks, no Gaunts, no Rotfang Conspiracy, no Quidditch final kiss, no Hagrid and Slughorn drunk scene, no RAB.

My favourite bits were apparently all cut off.

AND A. The fact that Draco was going to cast Crucio on Harry is what made Harry come up with that last unknown resource, which was Sectumsempra. I think that’s a bit that would count in a court room, had Draco sued Harry. Therefore, it’s important. They have no excuse for that one. B. The fact that Dumbledore does not get poisoned and diagnosed with few months to live at the beggining of the year makes the whole Snape/Dumbledore deal confusing. And he didn’t attempt to use the Resurrection Stone, so HOW ON EARTH DOES HE KNOW WHAT IT IS?

I understand the need to cut it shorter. I get that. I’m not that pissed off at the way they treated the Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione, and I can live without a lot of stuff I would have liked to see. But I have NO IDEA how on earth they are going to make movie seven and eight work. How they are going to redeem Snape without the prospect of Dumbledore’s short life expectancy before they plan on how to deal with Draco, or how they are going to make the bit with the Resurrection Stone work, or the Ravenclaw tiara. And yet, it’s not so much that it’s going to be difficult, because I know they can pull it off, but how much more they are going to change and twist so it will fit.

I can’t believe they chose to spend screen time on the Burrow attack and as a result cut so many great things. I can’t lie, I know I’ll be watching this movie the second it comes out- but I am not looking forward to it AT ALL.

Avatar Image says:

Hi everyone. I remember seeing an image of Harry standing in Dumbledore’s office with Prof Mc Gonnagal sitting behind the desk and all the Headmasters in the portraits sleeping. This was a scene in the book, where Harry tells her that he has a mission given to him by Dumbledore and he cannot tell her what it is. This image tells me that the movie does not end with the death of Dumbledore. I assume it will end as most others on the way back to the Dursleys. Please can Rachezee just confirm the end for us. Thanks a million for the detailed review. PS. There is also a review by Eric of Muggle net for those of you who don’t know yet.

Avatar Image says:

im so excited! but i really wish they would get a different Dumbledore. this Gambon character butchers our beloved headmaster.

like in the fourth movie ((the worst out of the 5 so far in my opinion)) when he grabs harry by the collar and shakes him around a bit demanding to know if harry entered himself in the tortoment, that was totally overdone. dumbledore would have NEVER treated a student like that. AND in the 5th book some fans will remember when Dolores grabbed Marietta by the collar and shook her around ((just as Dumbledore did to Harry in the 4th movie)) Dumbledore told her he would not let her man-handle his students. WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT????

i really wish we had a different dumbledoreor Gambon would stick to how Dumbledore was portrayed in the books

and for Eriskay, yes they are doing what the director tells them to do, but then why is every other character fine while Dumbledore is absolutely terrible????

THANKS FOR BOTH UPDATES.

Avatar Image says:

i agree with emily? 100%!!!!!! and she brought up a very excellent point about the 4th movie/ 5th book

Avatar Image says:

At least Draco and Snape are still in the scene.

Avatar Image says:

I think, if John Cleese was not nearly headless nick, he would have been the perfect dumbledore. Happy, slightly mad but brilliant. A loving headmaster and a true believer that love is the greatest weapon in the world. I can just see him as the Dumbledore in the books at the start of a term saying Oddment, blubber, nitwit, tweak and the joke he starts making in GOF about the hag, lepricorn …. in a bar, not to forget at the Christmas table. Who do you think would have been a better choice than Gamdon?

Avatar Image says:

I give up reading reviews and comments from now on. All of it seems to be from Gambon criticizers. I want an unbiased review. Yes, Gambon isn’t the best as DD, but I like him just the way he is. But quit blaming him, if anyone who could be blamed, it should be the director and screenwriter.

Avatar Image says:

Also, you have got to quit living in the past and quit wishfully thinking who would play DD. What’s done is done with Gambon. For the next movies, he won’t be in them as much so hurrah. sarcasm

Avatar Image says:

emily, when filming a movie, they have many takes for one scene each. It’s the director who chooses one. He might think it’s brilliant. I think some of those scenes are good. It’s all about interpretation of a book and characters. The SCREENWRITER and DIRECTOR have a specific interpretation of each character.

Avatar Image says:

I demand an unbias review! I’m sick of the anti-Gambon. I think he’s an awesome Dumbledore.

No Hogwarts battle? =[

Avatar Image says:

Hi Anita Wow, you seem so angry. We are all different and have different opinions and it is ok not to agree and think about things differently, but should we tell people to quit living in the past and other insults? To me you seem a real unhappy, know it all. Hope you have a lovely life.

Avatar Image says:

Well, Gambon should pick up an HP book. That’s why people are mad. He hasn’t read them. He’s suppose to bring the writing from the sctipr alive, and Dumbledore-like. And yes, the director hs some blame to that but he is to blame as well. The director isn’t suppose to tell the actor how deliver every single line. The Actor’s job is to know how to act it out, with some critique here and there from the director.

Avatar Image says:

Amanda, yes at that moment I was angry. I know we all have different opinions and that’s ok. What’s not ok, in my opinion, is to keep wishing for a new Dumbledore. And you’re going to judge me based on three angry posts. That’s sad.

No, really. I am very excited for this film. I can’t wait to see it. What’s got me down is the already disappointed people just based on two reviews. For me, I’d rather wait and see the movie before an accurate judgement.

Avatar Image says:

Hm, mixed feelings. The cave sounds suitably spectacular, but Kloves just seems to be trying to make it more “his Hogwarts” than telling a good story. Apparating out of Hogwarts, making Snape a good guy before he kills Dumbledore, and no fight at Hogwarts…all seem like weak choices, changes for the sake of change.

And to those saying that actors always do whatever the director tells them, well, that’s not exactly how it works, particularly with actor-focused directors like Newell and especially with veteran actors like Gambon. Then we add the extra layer of the high level of special effects, and honestly the director can’t - and shouldn’t - dictate every line reading and minor gesture for the actors. There’s just not enough time. When it comes to the acting, the experienced director leaves that job to the people he hired to do it; the actors. Directors who try to exert that much control over any project tend to be labelled control freaks and they never work again.

Avatar Image says:

The dislike of Michael Gambon became very boring during that review.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! wat have WB done??? why cant they stick to the books!!!? and what the hell is lumos maxium??

Avatar Image says:

I love Gambon! Richard Harris was dainty and small, and would never been able to do the wonderful duel with Voldemort from OotP. Yeah Gambon!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with what’s been said already; Gambon IS Dumbledore. I picture Gambon when I read the books and I can’t think of anyone who could have done the character more justice. When I rewatch the first two films I’m appalled at Harris’ version. I Know Dumbledore’s meant to be 150 but Harris plays him even older than that!

As for the film… Colour me disappointed. The changes they’ve made have the potential to ruin the whole remainder of the series. WB should be ashamed of themselves.

Avatar Image says:

Reading everybody’s opinions, onces again proves how different people are. The fact is not that we differ – but how we voice our differences. One thing that all of us agree on, is that Harry Potter, the books, enriched our lives. For me, the best I’ve ever read. Two of the most beautiful lessons for me, are those of choices and love. I see the movies just a bonus and I for one love to discuss what and who I liked and didn’t like and see what others think. I think it a bit sad that we get angry when we don’t agree with others. Waiting for somebody to respond on your post, is so exciting. Let’s not spoil it for each other. Ignore the posts you don’t like, and reply on those you agree on.. That will be more positive and make everybody happy. Just a thought.

Avatar Image says:

I have to admit I’m pretty disappointed by these reports. So many of the decisions they have made just seem so completely insane to me. I mean so much of what they have chosen to leave out is needed for DH to make any sense.

How are they going find the real locket without Kreacher? what about the wedding… how will they have a wedding with no Bill/Fleur or even a relationship between Tonks and Lupin? What about the whole ring/resurrection stone part? If DD never puts on the ring and ends up with only months to live, then him asking Snape to kill him as a means to deal with the Draco situation just doesn’t make sense. And the sectumsempra scene sounds confusing, but that I can live with. However, Harry willingly just hiding like a little pansy and watching as DD is killed is NOT OKAY! I’ve always considered their relationship in the films to be poorly developed, but Harry would NEVER do that!

There are just too many things for me to list. The attack at the Burrow does sounds like it will be really cool. I just don’t understand why they cut out the battle at Hogwarts. I was really looking forward to that. I know they can’t keep everything, but it just doesn’t seem like most of their choices have been thought out at all.

Honestly I think Gambon’s performance is the least of this movie’s problems if it really is missing everything these reports says it is. I’m now more worried than ever about what will end up being cut or twisted for DH.

Avatar Image says:

This is sooooooooooo ridiculous! What’s that stupid line: “That’s the beauty of being headmaster.”?!! The most beautiful thing in Harry Potter book series is the fact that although everything is magical and fictional, they all have some kind of acceptable and brilliant logic and reasoning behind them. So what’s all this rubbish?! What about the dark mark?! What about Snape?!!! That’s the most annoying thing in this movie! And all the time harry watches and does nothing?!! The most painful thing about this scene in the book was the fact that Harry just watched it all happen and couldn’t do anything to stop it.

I’m so annoyed with the whole movie series of HP; the only things that have been correctly “Harry Potter World”ish are Umbridge and Richard Harris as Dumbledore. The duel between Voldemort and Dumbledore in OotP movie would’ve been acceptable had it not been Gambon as Dumbledore.

Some might say that in an adaption, everything shouldn’t be exactly like the original source; I agree. But as for a good adaption, just look at Lord of The Rings: I myself read the books first then saw the movies; and not only did I not dislike the changes and omissions, but I actually loved them! I love both the books and movies. Now for HP movie series: I think the directors, producers and WB have been all so eager to make money out of this fantastic story that they don’t care about their adaption being good or terrible. I sometimes wonder how Rowling can accept these stupid movies to be made about her fantastic books!

Avatar Image says:

Wait, the movie’s not going to end right after Dumbledore dies, right? They’re still going to show his funeral?

Avatar Image says:

I think this (seems) to play toward Snape’s ambiguity quite well. He hushes Potter to be quiet, almost… “Shhh, I’m going to help him…” but then ends up killing Dumbledore instead. It’s sort of a twist from the movie Harry’s POV. Interesting. The book version is better of course…

Avatar Image says:

Aw, in the review yesterday you said that Gambon’s Dumbledore was tolerable. “Tolerable” was more than I was expecting. But in this review, he sounds completely awful. The cave scene and his death are the best parts of the book, but from this part of the review, they sound like they did a horrible job of it, mostly because of Gambon’s Dumbledore (which has always been worse than terrible), and Snape’s ineffective acting (Harry should NOT listen to Snape’s request to be silent. WTF.

Mostly it sounds like Gambon’s fault, though, with his voice being too strong and forceful, when he is supposed to be at the weakest moments before his death. The line “Severus… please…” is supposed to be desperate and weak, not strong. That’s important.

On the other hand, at least with Dumbledore’s death, we barely have to put up with his horrible acting anymore, except perhaps the King’s Cross scene in DH.

Avatar Image says:

omg no battle in hogwarts?? best part of that book!

and yeh gambon really isn’t a good dumbledore he barks too much and hope they’re wrong and he dont ruin all those good lines =( =( =( =(

Avatar Image says:

Reading this was great; my sister HATES Gambon.

Avatar Image says:

Gambon is an awesome dumbledore, he has so much of the twinkle, cheek and spring that dumbledore has. Watch him on BBC Top Gear on YouTube and you’ll see it in him

Avatar Image says:

Okay, but the sea shell was REALY lame, i mean its not The Little Mermaid!!!The Cave scene isnt bad it’s wut i expected it to be, they added a bit more action which is gd.But Harry hiding when draco is going to kill Dumbledore?I dont think harry wud do that, although in the movie he’s really naive so i’m not surprised. ( Like in OotP when umbridge breaks the wall, when he heard the first bang he shud’ve told his frends to escape but instead he stood looking at umbridge like a complete idiot.) No battle in hogwarts? so the order let the death eaters enter hogwarts and didnt even try to stop them? They shud’ve removed the pointless battle in the burrow and made the hogwarts one. It MAY look gd while we watch it all together. And i have to disagree that gambon sucks, i think he’s the right dumbledore, harris looked like he cant wave his wand properly, how wud he fight voldemort?

Avatar Image says:

Wow they are really trying to dampen the HP spirt arent they?

cant wait anyway

Avatar Image says:

Excuse me if this question was already asked but is there a scene of Dumbledore being disarmed by Draco or NOT?

Avatar Image says:

It is a New excitement for this HP fan to anticipate this upcoming movie. Though I would like the movies to more closely mirror the books, I can’t say the artistic license used in the movies doesn’t eventually grow on me. They are parallel worlds and I’ll take them both. It is really annoying to know there can be a movie screening already, yet we cannot experience the movie for another 10+ months?

Avatar Image says:

Richard Harris said in an interview once (I think it was when the cast was on Ellen, but I could be wrong) that he never read the books either. I’m so sick and tired of the animosity towards Gambon. I think he brought more meat to the 2-dimensional character Harris created in the first 2 movies. Besides. as an actor he’s supposed to follow directions the movie directors give him, so if they liked what he did, blame them, not him.

Avatar Image says:

I like HP in any format, so I’ll enjoy anything they put in front of me.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, Rachezee, for sharing this information with us. The movie sounds as though it will deviate from the books in the details but remain emotionally loyal to it. The climax certainly sounds as though, to say the least, it will be incredibly emotionally gripping and poignant.

Avatar Image says:

It looks like we can continue to be smug in our knowledge that the films will never be as good as the books. In regards to the lack of RAB, maybe they will skip the whole Kreacher/Mundungus/RAB storyline by turning the locket from HBP into THE horcrux locket. The trio can still travel across the country with the locket around their necks because they haven’t learnt how to open it, but the movie makers get to skip the entire locket storyline in DH. This would then mean no Ministry of Magic and no return of Umbridge.

Avatar Image says:

Dudley- I hope you’re wrong. I can’t believe they would cut all of that out, but then again…

Avatar Image says:

This is ridiculous. Im as much if not more of a Harry Potter fan than most out there, but i cant understand how people can still be excited about the movies. They have been crap. Warner Bros is a bunch of greedy, soulless deatheaters. Im sick of them. they never make the movies any where near as good as they could be. Maybe its just Steve Kloves’s fault, that moron couldnt write a good screenplay to save his life. Seriously part of me wonders if he enjoys effing it all up. Now im not saying i wont go see the movie, God help me i cant help myself, but its just so pathetic!! They dont even care at all. Not even after they have made more money than most of us can dream of, its never enough, they could never throw us a bone and even try to make a decent movie, thats accurate to the books. Theyre taking advantage of the fans, and i for one am sick of it.

Avatar Image says:

In regard to the critizism of Gambon, I can’t think of any actor who would really fit the role of Dumbledore 100 %. But with that said, Gambdon has done some really weak performances in the last two films. However, when he first replaced Harries in POA, I actually thought he did a great job. Especially in the scene when he leaves Harry and Hermoine in the hospital ving. The look on his face and the way he delivers his line there really captures the essense of Dumbledore from the book. Just as eccentric, while at the same time having that bright sparkle in his eyes. Unfortunatly, I have yet to see that side of Gambon’s Dumbledore in the past two films. GOF was, as have been pointed out before, especially bad. But that might just as well been Mike Newille’s foult. What I don’t understand, is why Gambon’s acting has become that bad, when he in my opinion did a great Dumbledore in POA. Like the scene where he welcomes the students to another year at Hogwarts. Spot on. Well, I guess you can’t have it all…

Avatar Image says:

dude they changed so many parts from the book…i knew they were gonna do dat but it kinda suxs…especially the battle at the end in hogwarts i was really looking forward in seeing dat…but i guess it will make the last battle in Deathly Hallows seem more interesting….

Avatar Image says:

Ok guys, you’re all going to see the movie in the end, so stop complaining until you see it. I’m also disappointed about some things that are cut, but that’s it. We will just have to wait and see it. I hope that it will be great still…

Avatar Image says:

Until everyone has actually seen it, maybe you should hold back any criticisms.

Avatar Image says:

i really feel sorry for the people who haven’t read the book. they’re missing so much information and all that they’re watching now is rather uninformative and surely inaccurate. and again, i can’t believe that they’ve done that to harry in the astronomy tower, we all know that harry would risk his life even for dumbledore. “dumbledore’s man through and through”!!! and just imagine the hurt and agony on harry’s part in the book when dumbledore was killed and in the movie his just hiding without doing anything? argh!

Avatar Image says:

Dudley don’t give them any ideas. Unfortunately while I would be angry, I hate to say I wouldn’t be surprised if they did try something like that and cut out the whole ministry scene. If they did go that route though, part one of DH definitely wouldn’t have enough action for the “average movie-goer”, and we all know thats who WB is always worried about, not us fans. So hopefully they will keep that in mind and not cut that part out. However, come to think of it there was no Mudungus or mention of him at all in OOTP so even if they do keep the whole Kreacher to Umbridge part they will either have to think of a way to introduce Mundungus and a new story for how he got the locket or they can cut him and have to come up with a totally different story for the locket getting from Kreacher to Umbridge.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t get the scene with Snape and Harry! Isn’t that going to confuse things in movie 7 when Snape is supposed to be the “bad guy” until the end of the movie?! *says to self… “just breath, we can get through this debacle, it’s only a movie” *

Avatar Image says:

Negative + Negative = bad bad spirit!! You know something i learned from the Secret : keep saying the series are crap the movies are s@#$ and they will be!!! I mean can’t you people come to realise that the movies are DIFFERENT and uber great in their dimension while the books are prefect in their dimension!!!! SEE THE MOVIE WITH AN OPEN MIND AND STOP CRITICIZING WB, IT’S JUST A COMPANY WHO WANTS TO DELIVER THE BOOKS ON SCREEN!!! stay positive people, it’s not the end of the world you know!! When did people become so picky?? Honestly, the Lord of The Rings fan base is much more cheery and up beat and don’t say it’s because the movies were JUST like the books because some of the fans hated the movies as well as some HP fans here do!!

Avatar Image says:

I know bella vita, I’m sorry :) .... but if they make the locket from HBP the actual Horcrux then there is no need to include the RAB storyline because the lockets would not have been swapped. Although there is a lot of action in the Ministry scenes, I could see the directors etc not wanting such a long scene with the trio under the influence of Polyjuice. But yeah, I might stop typing because the more I think of it, the more convinced I am that they could do something like this.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t mind when they make big changes (PoA is my favourite, after all…) – I just want them to make a good movie. If it’s evoking the kind of atmosphere you’ve described, then I reckon they’re probably doing a pretty good job so far!

I’m not happy that there are a lot of plot holes which they’re going to have to fix later – but hey – that’s why we’re getting 2 DH movies!

Regarding Dumbledore…he’s one of my favourite characters, and though I don’t like everything about the way Gambon portrays him, I can see how people would both agree and disagree to different extents – people even argue over the way Dumbledore comes across in the books! There have been essays about whether Dumbledore is a heartless manipulator, or whether he’s a father figure! But for me, that mystery and complexity is what I love about him =)

Thank you for uploading this review!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so tired of this hype that I feel for this movie only to be disapointed by WB and the filmakers. I’ve had enough of this protesting, screaming, getting excited, and etc. I am an avid HP fan and Harry/Ginny shipper and this movie was going to be the best because it’s my favorite book. But now I’m tired, really really tired. I’m just going to move on with life and read Harry Potter instead of wait for the “perfect” movie that will most likely never happen. This summer has been an emotional roller coaster with this whole, “Oh my God, HBP will release soon” and “Why do I have to wait another year!” and “This movie will be a great movie!” and then with this report. All I have to say is that I’M TIRED!!!

Avatar Image says:

It would have been nice if the reviewer could have given the review in a more objective manner and left her feelings about Gambon aside, but shrug. Some of us do actually like him as Dumbledore.

Sounds good…too bad we have to wait nearly a year.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll watch it and I’ll like it, but every single change will still piss me off. As for Gambon, he’s a good actor, he just doesn’t get the role of Dumbledore (along with the last couple directors who are just as guilty). The fact that he not only shook and yelled at Harry, but that Harry was literally afraid of Dumbledore shows how off the character is.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, this movie sounds really good. Maybe even worth the long wait…........................right, like anyone here will believe that

Only thing that really bothers me is that Harry gets dragged under by the Inferi but “swims up”, that kinda ruins how amazing it is that Kreacher managed it. Otherwise, it seems pretty aweome, best Harry Potter movie to date? Perhaps.

The author’s got some clear discrimination against Gambon though, I found that a bit weird. Talk about player hating, LOL. I mean, give him a break, he isn’t THAT bad. And the deleted/altered are bothersome, but I guess we’ll have to accept that the Harry Potter movies are just that; movies. We can’t expect a perfect representation. Besides, I take small comfort in knowing that the Harry Potter franchise is definitely going to be rebooted in another 10-20 years, and one of us fans will hopefully be the one directing and/or screenwriting.( Hopefully the next set of movies starts doing two parts from Goblet of Fire and onwards; that would be AWESOME)

Avatar Image says:

I absolutely can not wait until it comes out! I really wish they would stick to the book but I’ll take what I can get.

i will just say this. I LOVE living in Chicago. :D

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, but this seems to be going from bad to worse, IMO. I read the new review hoping it would improve my view from the first one, but no. The cave scene sounds OK, although what is up with the clam shell? But Harry would NEVER stay hidden when others are in danger the way they are having him do under the Tower, if not immobilized he would definitely try to help DD. They have really messed up the characterization of Harry himself, and there is no excuse for that, that is what the whole series revolves around.

No Dobby. That means no Dobby death scene in DH, and I can’t wrap my head around that, that is THE pivotal scene. It is official. I have given up on these movies.

Oh, and mentioning that the Inferi resemble the new, ridiculous Dementors from OoTP just made them worse, I detest the new ones, they are not scary at all, they look pathetic. Like a styrofoam ball head under some ancient burlap bag. The whole audience laughed at them at the midnight release. The ones in POA were SCARY.

Avatar Image says:

Oh JamesP7- shut up, no one is redoing the movies. Remakes are a waste of time. This movie sounds great. I think we could all be a little more adult about this. I am a die hard harry potter fan, I come here every day to see whats new. But life is life. Books dont equal movies. Watch any book adaptation and you’ll know what Im talking about. I think HBP sounds very well executed. I dont know though I will have to see for myself some of the things the reviewer reported on. The carrows were announced to be casted, as were alot of other people. But like I said this cant be every little detail from the movie, Thats impossible to include everything. I wonder if Bellatrixs wanted poster is up in Knockturn Alley- Hope so.

Avatar Image says:

BellaSnape, no one is going to remake the movies?! Are you kidding me One of the most successful movie franchises is never going to get remade…......................right. Of course. Because that makes such practical business sense. I mean, look at Batman (the most recent reboot). Begins was positively received. And The Dark Knight is being considered one of the best movies in a while….....................maybe ever( I dunno about that though, I felt Schindler’s List and the Shawshank Redemption were a bit better).

Otherwise I agree with you, the movie sounds awesome, with a few unavoidable quips.

Avatar Image says:

I still think that Chris Columbus the one who directed the first two movies was the best. They captured my imagination perfectly made the movies seem more magical. Unfortunately the movies have lost some of that golden magic in my opinion. But there still good.

Avatar Image says:

Im not going to start that argument because its stupid. Harry Potter is a novel series. Batman is a comic book. Comic Books can be done many times over and over. No one would be stupid enough to redo Harry Potter, or Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings over again- I hope. Too successful the first time and too original. Even Jaws would be hard to remake and I hope no one even attempts. They are trying to remake The Birds and I think thats even disgraceful. Alfred Hitchkochs work should be left alone. I just really hate people who are quick to judge, about something like this. See it through your own eyes. Besides a movie series thats grossed 4.5 billion dollars isnt considered low key enough to remake, they would have to do all eight.

Avatar Image says:

@ Potter Fan , you know why Columbus captured it so well? he had the two smallest books of the whole series. And not to mention the ones that were the least complex. We are getting near the end now, so things are getting more complex and I dont know if the comment was on here or on the other one but I like the added action.

Avatar Image says:

Honestly, I think Gambon, on the whole, captures the essence of Dumbledore’s character. That said, there are moments where he is not warm enough, and not close enough to Harry. The bond between them is poorly established. Also, the script bits I have suggest that Dumbledore only figures out the whole bit about the Horcruxes after seeing Slughorn’s memory… That totally takes away from the Machiavellian, morally-ambigous, puppet-master Dumbledore of the books. But that’s bad writing on Kloves’ part.

Avatar Image says:

Columbus, in my opinion, was the worst director of the series. He did a fantastic job capturing the magic of the Wizarding World, but he focused more on furthering the plot than properly establishing the characters. They were all flat, poorly-fleshed out, and motivationless. Dumbledore, for instance, was a plot exposition character, the old, wise mentor that every fantasy story requires to unload massive chunks of the plot and then die tragically somewhere a long the line. What made Dumbledore interesting, his eccentricities, his sense of humour, and any depth he had were lost.

Avatar Image says:

For the people who think that us criticizers of Micheal Gambon as Dumbledore is unfounded and biased, that is totally wrong. I have no qualms that Gambon is a great actor but the way he portrays Dumbledore is highly unsatisfactory. Yates will not direct Gambon on how to deliver every scenes and for us hp fans, some of the most memorable scenes in the hp book series come from the interaction between the book dumbledore and the book harry and for Gambon to change it so much will make most fans dislike him as dumbledore. Richard Harris had a very traditional, powerful dumbledore feel about him and he was a great actor and would no doubt have been excellent in the later hp films, RIP. But Gambon makes dumbledore look like a bipolar schizophrenic escaped convict whose actions we can’t predict, is far too erratic, and overall not at all similar to the dumbledore we know from the books and love so much. For me, and a lot of people I know, we all concur that it would be much better if Gambon went back to acting in other series and mocies which he seems to be good at and Harris was around to play dumbledore. I for one know that from watching hp 1 and 2, Harris has the ability to bring people to tears in his profound role as canon dumbledore while Gambon makes me feel like “ok, that reaction is strange, let’s pretend that didn’t happen and move on to the next scene” And to everyone who thinks this is a Gambon hater review, it’s not it is a Gambon playing dumbledore hate review. And that is my opinion along with Racheeze

Avatar Image says:

The haters of Kloves and Gambon really need to take a chill pill! I’ve always liked the deviations Kloves made so I trust him completely here. I think it’s definitely more fun to see a few NEW things in the movie, stuff that isn’t just a retread of the books. I always think of the PoA DVD extra where Jo and Cuaron (it’s either him or Kloves) are sitting together and she LOVES the fact that new ideas are being used.

As much as I love HBP I always thought the whole Harry/Ginny thing was, frankly, lamely handled by Jo (yes, I’m slating Jo!). Harry/Cho got more book time FFS! All that stuff about the ‘beast’ in Harry’s chest, and Ginny being virtually a non-entity even after they are going out together. The movie sounds better. I KNEW they would cut the Quidditch celebration kiss because in order to do that they would have had to keep the part with Harry in detention with Snape which would have been too boring and slow.

I also knew they would cut Harry being petrified under the cloak on the Astronomy tower. We need to SEE Harry’s reactions, and that’s impossible with him being completely frozen. It’s fine in the book because Jo tells us what he’s thinking. I’m happy with him hiding, even though book Harry would have run out to battle Bella and the others. I hope it’s made clear that Harry HAS to follow DD’s orders.

I wonder if apparation is dealt with?

Avatar Image says:

well I have to agree with sammie here. Book dumbledore is not bipolar but Gambon playing dumbledore really is and I am most likely than not left with feeling of, as sammie said “ok, that reaction is strange, let’s pretend that didn’t happen and move on to the next scene” after seeing most Gambon/dumbledore scenes as opposed to Harris. And please don’t bash Harris when you don’t know how well he could have delivered as dumbledore were he alive, RIP. As for people complaining about the whole harry/cho getting more attention than harry/ginny is plain wrong because it is only september, so come nect summer, not only will the movie be a lot more modified, everyone (cast) will be playing up the harry/ginny moments a lot more than harry/cho. And as racheeze said, ginny gets as much screen time as ron so you all can’t be that dissapointed. It’ll all get better for the h/g fans when the cast starts promoting the movies, I guarantee you

Avatar Image says:

Threads like these remind me why I normally don’t touch online HP fandom with a 20-foot pole. Some of the attitudes here are just plain silly and juvenile, and taints my enjoyment of what (IMHO) is a fantastic series of both movies AND books.

In fact, every comments thread at TLC ends up like this.

Avatar Image says:

Anyone remember that report saying we will see the wanted poster of Bellatrix in Knockturn Alley? I do and I hope its in the movie, along with whatever scene that is where Bella is standing on the Great Hall table. Sorry cant contain myself. I just like Bellatrix and Snape soo much I want to see them in action. I wonder if anyone could have guessed that one! cough cough- my name – cough cough.

Avatar Image says:

p.s. I agree with you Stephanie, they are both very good and worthy series. Books and movies. I also know alot of these threads trail off into Luna land. No offense to Luna, I find her very entertaining.

Avatar Image says:

Gambon dumbledore? no thank you. Gamble Harris? YES PLEASE!

sorry, meant dumbledore harris? XD

Avatar Image says:

Ugh. Once again Yates is an idiot. Get ready Potter fans for the biggest let-down of all. HBP is going to be filmed with running, bumpy shots with nothing anchored down, yikes, here we go again with those “realistic” running shots that make us all nauseated. Dear god Does Yates know that it makes us sea sick? Realistic yes, but the whole series is FICTION for chrissake! Plant a friggin trip-pod for fricks sake! Now as to the cuts – Yates does this always and forever. He cuts anything and everything. So where the hell is Trainspottiing? Where’s the heroin and the sex? Jesus – this is going to be the biggest JUMP OF THE SHARK ever!

Avatar Image says:

I wish you would have just left out your personal feelings on the actors and how you felt certain lines should be delievered. I’m pretty sure no two people have imgained the books exactly the same. I know what I feel like the movies should look like, and will reserve my judgement until I see it instead of taking the word of one person that seems to hold a grudge against an actor.

Avatar Image says:

I’m going to have to echo Kim’s sentiments.

This is a franchise that reached millions MILLIONS of people with the novels. No two people read a book the same way. No two minds are the same and therefore it is impossible for this to occur. It is therefore impossible to please every Harry Potter fan with the films. Also, the rule for a film script is a minute a page. For the Harry Potter books (say HBP) if you were to place each page of the books into a page of script (which is totally impossible because a page of a novel holds a hell of a lot more information than a page of a script) you would have a 652 page script (American version, first edition). A 652 page script? Over 10 hours. Thats for one novel. That’s not a miniseries. Thats a lifetime.

Things are going to get cut. That’s life. We may not always like the things that are cut. Heck I wish certain things were kept in films 1-5. And I didn’t particularly love parts of 1-5 in the way they were done stylistically. But the script and the actors and the over all effect of the film? I know that JK Rowling has the say. She would never allow her works to be slaughtered (these novels were 17 years of her life away from her children, they are too important!). So I put my trust in the fact that JK Rowling would never allow a change in her works that she didn’t like or feel keeps the integrity of the novels.

We might not all like every change, but WB and whomever you chose to blame isn’t doing this as a personal attack on you. And also? The movie isn’t done. We haven’t seen a finished product yet. Why don’t we all wait till we see it before deciding that it sucks, WB is out to destroy our lives and David Yates is the anti-Christ.

Cause personally, I love David Yates. Am thrilled he’ll be back, am over the move to July and can’t wait to see this film.

Avatar Image says:

John, This thing about actors doing what directors tell them to do is not the case. It might be in high school plays, but not so in cinema. Directors allow actors (and of course, actresses), particularly those who are well established, a great deal of freedom, which is why producers go through so much work on casting appropriate performers. Gambon can’t take responsibility on what lines are written for him, but the responsibility on how they are delivered is his, just like he is responsible on how the character is perceived. Gambon has been the one glaring mistake on this whole production, and that is very unfortunate.

Avatar Image says:

Sir Michael Gambon is a fine actor. But, unlike the other adult roles that are played superbly, he has misplayed Dumbledore right from the start. That is evident to those of us who’ve read the books many times.

Firstly, he never looked old enough (re-read the first chapter of book one again for AD’s full description). Secondly, he was far too dismissive (think his reaction to H&H’s return to the hospital ward twd the end of film 3), no “twinkle in his eye” as he was described as having on numerous occasions .. and one instance that always sticks out is the way he manhandled Harry after Harry’s name popped out of the GoF. Dumbledore would NEVER have done that – and didn’t.

Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Kenneth Branagh & Jason Isaacs to name four at random are spot on in their adaptations. And so was Richard Harris.

Avatar Image says:

thank you susie, I second that.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t take reviews like this seriously. There literally is absolutely no possible way known to God to please fans like the person who wrote this. No matter how truly astonishing the film is, it makes no difference—if one TINY thing is out of place, it’s bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. I am so unbelievably sick and tired of Michael Gambon getting ragged on all the time. He plays Dumbledore just fine. Then again I’m sure the person who did this review is among the group of utter morons who LIED and said in the fourth one he ran at Harry, strangled him, and screamed at him, whenever all he actually did was rush over to him put his hands on his shoulder and asked him in a firm but also very concerned voice “Did you put your name in that goblet of fire?”

I’m sick of the constant complaining and I’m also sick of the unbelievable exaggerations.

Avatar Image says:

One thing that fails to cause anyone concern is the fact that draco disarming dumbledore is not metioned in this review. whether the reviewer fogot to mention this incredibly important fact or whether kloves did not implement this in his script worries me. but it doesn’t matter, we have a more pressing topic to talk about. Michael Gambon.

P.S. im really starting to question the credibility of this review.

Avatar Image says:

A large white clam shell?? Oh dear god…. Voldemort protects a portion of his soul with uber-kitsch bathroom decor. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Oh, the horror…

Avatar Image says:

Oops sorry… just re-read the review & realised that they used a large white clam shell to scoop up the potion – not as the actual basin.

Slightly better, but still bad in the bathroom decor sense…

OMG,this is great!

Avatar Image says:

Wait a minute. I thought you cant apparate in the school grounds? Lol. O well, just thought i point that out. Sounds good though.

I found myself crying when I read the part about Snape saying Avada Kedavra. =[

Sounds amazing, wow.

Avatar Image says:

Dan Radcliffe being better than Gambon? Well, the MN report does say that Dan’s acting was top notch in this movie but I had so hoped that Gambon will at last be top notch too since this is his last HP movie. The cave scene description was awesome BTW, so I’ll take comfort in the fact that even if the actor is not so good, at least DD’s death will have made a greater impact than Sirius’ death.

Avatar Image says:

Well, some of this sounds good, but I’m mostly really disappointed. With Gambon’s poor portrayal thus far, I’ve been worried that he was going to ruin the emotion of the end of the book and it sounds like he did. I’m also really upset about pretty much everything I’ve heard about Snape. Can’t they just get the story right? Is that so hard??

Avatar Image says:

I really have to laugh at all the “Gambon is the worst ever” comments. No offense to Richard Harris, but at least Gambon acts. You could tell Harris did not really care too much about the part.

Avatar Image says:

I believe we have a real gambon-hater in Rachezee. The guy from mugglenet thought he did a really good job. I guess I’ll postpone my own judgement until I see it for myself, but I really think Rachezee is going out of his way to dislike him. Determant to hate his performance even when he did a good job. Go ahead, yell for Richard Harris and his stock old grandpa performance of Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

It make me excited, although I can’t see it, but …… Professor Snape, I can’t say anything for you brave, you are a real HERO! Draco, poor guy!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait! It must be amazing. I hopped there would be battle inside Hogwarts though… I am a little disappointed with Dumbledore. I didn’t want him to be like the previous movies again… What about the funeral? Does Harry break up with Ginny there? Does Ron tell Harry that they are with him whatever happens or did they give that line to Hermione again…?

The link doesn’t work:(

Oh my…...

I can’t WAIT to see this. I’m trying really hard to hold in a squeee :]

Avatar Image says:

...Why do many people keep thinking Harris gave a flat performance? Tell me, how often did Dumbledore freak out and start slamming Harry against things (see GoF movie after Harry’s name came out of the goblet)? Harris, IMO, was Dumbledore. For the first five books, Dumbledore was almost 100% calm, quiet, kind, gente-twinkling-in-the-eyes kind of man. He always exuded power in a CALM manner, not a forceful one where he had to snarl and manhandle his students (wait, wasn’t that one of the things he would NOT allow Umbridge to do in the books? Guess Gambon’s Dumbledore is the only one allowed to manhandle his students. Lovely). Gambon’s Dumbledore gets hysterical, panics, and shows rage in the movies. Dumbledore was always the eye of the storm in the books, not the driving force behind it. I could never shake the feeling that Gambon was never given a clear direction of who Dumbledore was (nor did he ever at least read one of the bloody books). I see that trend will continue, if this review tells me anything. Man, when I thought about HBP becoming a movie years ago, I thought that if THIS is what Gambon calls calm and benevolent (slamming Harry around, yelling, freaking out), I’m scared to see what he thinks Dumbledore actually getting angry at Harry in HBP would look like (I thought maybe Gambon would chuck Radcliffe out the window or something). However, the Inferi scene does sound pretty cool. Radcliffe improving in his acting is great to hear.

Avatar Image says:

I have to side with Rachezee on Gambon-hating. And for those who want to blame the directors instead. Go for it! It’s both really isn’t it? I love how Susan14 put it, power in a CALM manner. That’s what makes me love dumbledore.

At any rate, I am glad to have had a chance to hear all this now, and early so that I can also have time to forget enough to still be surprised.

Avatar Image says:

So, did Draco at least disarm Dumbledore? He has to have disamred Dumbledore or the Elder Wand will not have changed hands.

Avatar Image says:

@ Tommy I completely agree with you. I like both Richard Harris and Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. People see the movie for youself, dont be so dependant and gullable about a review. This person is really biased, kind of like the aweful critics at rotten tomatoes. Go to MuggleNet, the person over there gave an unbiased review of what to expect. And still not every little detail is covered in these things, so get a grip on your selves. Jesus. Remember the books are books and the movies are movies. But this adaptation sounds really good so far so hold your horses.

Avatar Image says:

It’s terrible that they don’t stick to the books…They “skim” through each scene, and depending on the actors talents to pull it off to make a great movie! It’s got to work both ways. Not just an incredible cast of actors, but the people behind the cameras too! (screenwriters,direstors,producers). They owe it to J.K.Rowling first and foremost to do a better job that this.

Avatar Image says:

You people do know that you’re making all your judgments on a review of a few scenes, albeit important ones, by an obviously slanted reviewer. She took every chance she had to denounce Gambon because he didn’t act exactly the way she had Dumbledore act in her mind. I always thought the original Dumbledore was much too frail and slow and Gambon imbued the movie Dumbledore with the energy I always saw the book character had. I can’t see Richard Harris fighting Ralph Fiennes in OOTP.

But if you’re going to report on the cave scene, report it. Leave the reviewing until the end because you’re giving the reader a biased view.

Avatar Image says:

These movies have been getting worse in terms of plot and story since the 4th one came along. In an effort to compact them down, they’ve used silly devices “to move the action along” The scenes of Filch trying to catch them in the room of requirement in Order of the Phoenix were completely annoying.

If, as the writer describes, they show Snape giving away his true connection to Dumbledore, they’ve radically altered several plot points in the forthcoming Deathly Hallows films, which kept the readers guessing as to Snape’s loyalties up until almost the very end of the book.

Perhaps some day, many years down the road, someone will have the ability to do something along the lines of mini-series to remain more true to the books instead of the condensed versions people are getting the current films.

and indeed, Michael Gambon has been a true disappointment as Dumbledore. He has never come near getting close to the character, instead only portraying the angry crankiness he is best known for, without really displaying the both the strength and warmth so clearly present in the the books. Quite unfortunate that Ian McKellan came off of playing Gandalf so close to Richard Harris’ death. He would have made a marvelous Dumbledore and easily assuaged the fans who’ve become so angry at the direction the films are taking

In the end though, fans still have the original books and their own imaginations to continue enjoying these marvelous stories.

Avatar Image says:

can you all stop bagging out Michael Gambon he’s a great actor and dosnt deserve this constant critisism just because he isnt Richard Harris. i think hes a better dumbledore than Harris was

Avatar Image says:

One of the things I dislike so much about Gambon’s portrayal is the garb he wears, so drab and boring for such a great wizard, the stupid beard being banded, and I really just loved Harris in the part. It was such a drastic change between them that it was disappointing. Maybe had he started in the roll it I might not feel the same way . However I just feel he overacts the part too much. Too over dramatic. That’s just opinion and not a hate thing. I’m sure he’s a fine actor, I just didn’t care for him in this part is all. It’s almost always hard to see change in actors in a movie or show.

Avatar Image says:

i’m reading this in my office and cried when i got to the part of dumbledore’s death… and my co-worker begin to worry because i was teary eye but strated laughing at me when i told her what it was all about hahahahahaha.

Avatar Image says:

It bugs me as much as the next man that the film can’t be a verbatim re-enactment of the events in the book, but I have to admit, the only way they can do that is with a mini-series that stretches across fourteen… more like 14 seasons. Warner Brothers, are you listening?? Think… kerching $_$!!!!

Avatar Image says:

It bugs me as much as the next man that the film can’t be a verbatim re-enactment of the events in the book, but I have to admit, the only way they can do that is with a mini-series that stretches across seven… more like fourteen seasons. Warner Brothers, are you listening?? Think… kerching $_$!!!!

Avatar Image says:

what I want to know is if there was a scene for the HG break up?

Avatar Image says:

I am shocked there is no Bill.. i really wanted to see Bill attacked by Greyback (not that i liked it but it would of been more like the book and i would of been happier) and there was no ‘Dumbledore’s Funeral’ scene?

Also, i am scared to see the scenes with Dumbledore Gambon kills my image of Dumbledore =(. And I’m disappointed that Dumbledore doesn’t curse harry so he can’t move instead of making him sit there and do nothing (the harry in the books would NOT to that) then Snape comes and harry practically watches him kill Dumbledore and just sit there? Disappointing.

One last thing, so about the Horcruxes does it show all of it (like the pensive scenes) except about the Gaunts? or just a selected few?

Avatar Image says:

For the last frickin’ time, the Snape-telling-Harry-To-Shut-Up moment was a stroke of GENIUS. It makes the betrayal more brutal because Harry thinks he’s letting Snape go and help Dumby. Remember, Harry trusts Snape when times look their darkest (end of OOTP), and so he thinks that Snape is still on their side. And then BOOM, Dumby is thrown off of the roof. It makes Snape look like even MORE of a two-timing jackass.

Avatar Image says:

Great report. I really look forward to the film. Almost every descriptions matches completely with my expectations. It is a pity that some characters are missing, but I really like it that there are scenes with the original book texts. Great that Hermione becomes her ‘book’ self. However, I have a question to Rachee, is it know how long the film is (in minutes)?

Avatar Image says:

I remeber seeing a picture from HBP film with harry and dumbledore in Horsmede, though this review fails to mention this, it actually states that they never even apparate to hogsmeade. very suspicious, hmmm…...

Avatar Image says:

Anyway, though, the scenes sound awesome, and I can’t wait for the movie!

Avatar Image says:

“Michael Gambon always screws up the part, because he refuses to read the books. He has no idea what everything means to us, the fans. So, to Michael Gambon, I give a gesture to which Mrs. Weasley would scold.”

Yeah, neither did Harris. In fact, he refused point-blank to read them.

And I think the picture you saw, Ed Tom, was of Dumby and Potter’s journey to Slughorn’s house.

Avatar Image says:

i just wanted to tell you you ” fans” that a fan is not someone who just bitches and whines at every mistake made, but a fan is someone who is enjoying every single event or happening in his fan base… The Harry Potter phenom. is about to end so i believe you should try to enjoy the last moments of it… Bitching and whining won’t change anything except perhaps getting the press’ attention and getting our bad side out… Whining will not change the movies so get over yourself and enjoy it while you can and if you truly don’t care about HP then be my guest and don’t go to the last three movies…that will spare us the negativity!!

Avatar Image says:

Guys if you could kindly revisit the special features of the 2nd and 3rd movie, you will find out that JK is present in the writing of the script and that she is aware of every little detail change and that she is also aware of the cuts in the movie…SHE IS IN ON IT!!!!

Avatar Image says:

There is something seriously wrong with the ending. For starters, how does Draco know Dumbledore apparates into the Astronomy tower to meet him there? Do you mean to tell me he happens to be in or near the tower at the moment Dumbledore arrives? There’s no reason for him to know if Dumbledore is apparating. As we know from the book, Dumbledore is lured to Hogwarts by the Dark Mark and thats how Draco knows where to find him.

Second, why does Draco spend a whole year fixing the cabinet to allow Death Eaters into Hogwarts if they aren’t even going to battle? Did he bring them there for moral support? Honestly…

Harry just sitting under the floor watching this happen to Dumbledore wouldn’t fly – it’s totally uncharacteristic of Harry. If he’s not immobilized, he’d jump out to help Dumbledore. And if Snape walks past Harry, why doesn’t he quickly explain things? He would no doubt know that Harry would stir trouble immediately after killing Dumbledore – and if Harry is running after Draco, Snape, Bellatrix, and maybe some other death eaters by himself, Snape would have to figure Harry would get injured.

It just seems that this ending (especially if they exlude RAB and the funeral) dramatically weakens much of the Deathly Hallows plot.

Avatar Image says:

It’s weird but I’m really pleased with the changes of some scenes. Normally I hate every change they do, like in the previous films (especially giving Nevill the tasks of Dobby * AAARRCCHHH) but now the changes look like some sort of alternatives to the real scenes described in the books. But I’m still bothered with the idea of that shell-thingy in the cave. What the F**!!! That’s stupid. But for the rest, like the Snape and Harry scene (or shot?) in the Astronomy Tower etc…, I’m really pleased. Although I’m bumped there won’t be a funeral scene.

Avatar Image says:

I’m,frankly,amazed,that after all the awful changes and screw-ups we’re hearing about in these reports, some people consider the most important issue to be whether one of Ron’s lines has been cut or not. I mean,forget that there’s no battle,that Dumbledore STILL sucks,that there’s no funeral,that Dumbledore’s death is apparently going to be awfully done,as is the end scene,no,forget all that,of course the most important thing is that one of Ron’s lines is still in the film.

Avatar Image says:

Guys why don’t you send your complaints about the movie to the same guys to whom u sent complaints about delaying the release date of the movie?? That’s a thought!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! jeez i wish this came out sooner,im really disapointed tho that the funeral isnt in,thats a VERY important scene in my opinion oh well….i guess i live…maybe lol

Avatar Image says:

well i believe that instead of Michael Gambon they should really have had Ian McKellen(Gandalf from Lord of The Rings) play Dumbledore… what i do is picture in every movie(apart from the first two) and every book Ian McKellen as Dumbledore and i’m happy!! :P

Avatar Image says: sounds sweet! im not in harry potter mode yet tho, let me get over twilight and then this will be more exciting to me lol :]Avatar Image says: yet again, im posting this comment almost 4 months late, but oh well. although the movie still sounds HORRIBLE from your other report, it does sound like they've done these scenes MOSTLY right, although i definitely don't like Gambon either. as a mtter of fact, im not really a fan of radcliffe either, but hopefully he does okay here. Avatar Image says: "ok everyone knows Gambon is a terrible dumbledore" Actually, everyone doesn't. Everyone is entitled to form their own judgement regarding an actor's capability and plausibility in character. It is not helpful to ignore this basic premise while reporting on a movie that no-one else will have an opportunity to evaluate for another six months. I am one of those unfortunates who cannot conceive how Harris might have played any of Dumbledore's material from PoA onward, since he was obviously moribund in the first two movies, in which he had very little to do. For many of us, one of the chief pleasures of the later films has been a performance reflecting this wonderful character's complex energies, by an actor equal to the task. The assertion that Gambon 'clearly does not know the significant emotional value' of Dumbledore's utterances, unlike 'we fans', implies that anyone who finds his interpretation persuasive is not a proper fan. I resent that.

Write a Reply or Comment