Official: EA Delays “Half-Blood Prince” Video Game Until Summer 09

114

Sep 08, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As expected, EA, the makers of the Harry Potter video games, have formally announced their plans to delay the release of the “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” video game until Summer 09 (no specific date yet mentioned). Moving the release of the game to coincide with the new release date of the sixth Harry Potter film in July of next year, a formal press release reads:

“We’re excited about the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince video game in development and its high level of authenticity and playability’ said Robert Nashak, Vice President EA Casual Studios. “We are creating an immersive game experience that Potter fans around the world will really enjoy playing as they fly and duel their way through the story of the film. The game will feature new Wii gestures and increased gameplay capabilities across all of the platforms.”

“The Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince game will be an excellent interactive extension of the film and all of the new action that comes with it’ said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “EA is creating the Harry Potter video games that fans will love, and this game will deliver new gameplay elements and the magic players are looking forward to.”

“We have enjoyed a wonderful partnership with EA in collaborating on the videogames for all of the Harry Potter films’ said Harry Potter film Producer David Heyman. “The visual look of the game for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is incredibly authentic to the film and will provide a truly compelling experience for everyone who plays.

Again while no specific release date was given save “Summer 2009,” the HBP video game will be released on platforms for the Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation2, PSP (PlayStationPortable) , Nintendo DS, Windows PC, Macintosh and mobile devices. UPDATE As reflected in our Cauldron Shop via Amazon.com, the games now show a July 14, 2009 release date. We are trying to confirm this with EA and will update when we can. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be released on July 17, 2009.

40 Responses to Official: EA Delays “Half-Blood Prince” Video Game Until Summer 09

Avatar Image says:

Ah! i know all along it’s going to happen.

Avatar Image says:

Well they must be pretty pissed off at EA right now.

Avatar Image says:

It’s enough. WB shut up already.

of course it should be – -

Avatar Image says:

1st, the film… now this? they should take it all from us this year…

Avatar Image says:

Well, SOMETHING should come out in November! Jerks.

Avatar Image says:

The game is officially delayed and our autum is officially ruined. This was expected, though, I hardly feel mad. WB might have stocks to worry about and want to have something big for next summer but how well has EA been doing this year? Maybe they were counting on Harry for this autum.

Avatar Image says:

and now our last hope died,though i think we expected this’d comesigh i guess EA might be pissed w/ wb,i mean it would me so much better for them to release the game before christmas,then in the middle of summer.yeah,wb offically sucks O_o

Avatar Image says:

Well that’s it – 2008 ruined for me I’m afraid. No film in the run up to Christmas, no game from Santa! Summer’s just not good enough, I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for tarnishing this franchise so comprehensively. I hope WB get sued for loss of revenue from EA as a summer release will dent game profits I’m sure. I wish I could swear – I’m just so disappointed.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I really feel sorry for EA. Shafted just because of WB. And you know there’s others – any retailer that was planning on releasing any kind of merchandise will be hurt.

Candy, bedsheets, posters, the calendars(?) toys, games, legos.

Avatar Image says:

at least we still get beedle the bard? it’s something potter i guess. and from rowling…at least SHE would never do something like delay a release.

Avatar Image says:

but how well has EA been doing this year? Maybe they were counting on Harry for this autum. Posted by Eriskay on September 08, 2008 @ 10:52 AM

Seriously? I promise you they’re not. I don’t think the HP games sell nearly THAT well. You forget that EA has the monopoly on football games (ie: Madden ‘09), just released Spore and Mercenaries 2, has one of the best selling games of all time that they’re still releasing content for (The Sims).... I’m sure they’re annoyed, but I promise you it won’t hurt them as much as you think it will. It still bites for the rest of us, though.

Avatar Image says:

It is with much sadness that I have to boycott Harry Potter films and the video games from this day forward. The obvious and admitted careless admission of WB Executives (Ministry of Money) to care more about how many more billions they will bilk us out of in the summer of 09 rather than November 08 is heart breaking. It is also obvious they need a new PR person to speak to the public and media on decisions of the Ministry of Money (WB) and they need to understand a good thing while they have it. Hoorah for the many HP fans that have voiced their slaps in the face; I for one will not buy anymore HP items, movies, DVD’s or video games and will encourage anyone I can to not buy them either. If it wasn’t for the many people who depend on their employment with WB, I would almost hope for the company to go under (it has happened before).

Sad HP Fan

oh, for f-

Avatar Image says:

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CURSE YOU EA AND WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS SOOOOO WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

EA have plenty of other titles this fall and some of these titles are great. You should remember that since the game is closely tied with the movie in design, there is several key elements that must remain secret untill the movie is set for release – or this elements are official. I am as you disappointed in this not so surprising move, but I rather see the Inferius on the big screen before I meet them in the game.

In the same way that I postponed playing the last level in Goblet of Fire before attending the premier night so that Voldemort could surprise me before a computerimage. (OK he is a great deal CGI, but you know what I mean)

Avatar Image says:

Well…. diaf warner brothers.

Avatar Image says:

Im not to worried that the games been delayed now that the film has, cos i always like watching the film before playing the game (even though i’ve read the books). But going back to WB delaying the movie in the first place to next summer – I prefer watching movies in the autumn/winter, in the ‘cos in the summer i have alot of other things i could be doing like goin to the beach, football all that stuff in November u can do that stuff but its not as good so i like watching films and doing stuff like that when theres nothing else to do. I will still watch it next summer its just dissapointing :(

Avatar Image says:

That’s not a big surprise, but it brings back the anger about the delay of the movie…ARGH, I HATE YOU WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urghhhh

I know it was really stupid of me but I was hoping to get it November. And now this has just refuelled my anger at WB.

Btw, Jo (an WB) is victorious!! http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/JK-Rowling-Wins-Harry-Potter-Lexicon-Copyright-Case-Steven-Vander-Ark-Book-Halted-By-Judge/Article/200809215095424?lpos=World%2BNews_3&lid=ARTICLE_15095424_JK%2BRowling%2BWins%2BHarry%2BPotter%2BLexicon%2BCopyright%2BCase%253A%2BSteven%2BVander%2BArk%2BBook%2BHalted%2BBy%2BJudge

“oh, for f-

Posted by Natalie on September 08, 2008 @ 12:50 PM”

LOL. My sentiments exactly.

Avatar Image says:

I saw this coming. And you know what? EA is a greedy money-loving corporation that screws over both its fans and its employees, so I’m not that sad.

And for the last time, WB is a corporation. THEY MAKE MONEY. THAT IS THEIR PURPOSE. They’re not here to cater to the fans, they’re here to make money, like any other corporation. Please learn to deal.

Avatar Image says:

GUYS! It doesn’t matter, I admit I was pissed off when I heard the move would be delayed. Now, I’m over it. I really don’t care when we get it AS LONG AS WE DO GET IT. They could have cancelled it completely, decided that it would cost too much to make the final 3 movies! I’m starting to get annoyed with all the people who are still complaining about the movie, and now the game.

Avatar Image says:

GUYS! It doesn’t matter, I admit I was pissed off when I heard the movie would be delayed. Now, I’m over it. I really don’t care when we get it AS LONG AS WE DO GET IT. They could have cancelled it completely, decided that it would cost too much to make the final 3 movies! I’m starting to get annoyed with all the people who are still complaining about the movie, and now the game.

Avatar Image says:

This is crappy of them too. Nov 21st is my sons birthday and we had plans to go to the movie with friends and make a day of it. AND the game was on his birthday/Christmas wish list. i think EAs sales would have been way better if the game was out for Christmas versus the summer.

ARGHHHHH!!!

HBP has been pushed to July, Stephenie Meyer decided to put Midnight Sun on hold indefinitely, and now the video game is delayed until July, too. This is so dang STUPID!!!!!

falls over and dies

Avatar Image says:

DAMN! WHY DOES WARNER BROTHERS DO THIS TO US?????

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if money changed hands. The move to the summer was for WB’s economic benefit. EA was planning to release the game in November and are losing last quarter profits. I wouldn’t be surprised if a deal was worked out to encourage EA to release the game at a similar time.

Avatar Image says:

can’t say this was unexpected and i have wondered if EA games was getting and pressure or incentive from WB to bump back the games release date as to avoid the whole moive from being spoiled as it surely would by playing the game . At any rate movie games do best when released around the release date of the movie they are based on, a few exceptions to this rule is games basedon Moives that hit theaters before home video game consoles and etc existed such as The Godfather and the Warriors ( come out and play ay!) so i saw this one comming but i had help out a tiny ray of hope it would come out in november, but alas it is not to be

Avatar Image says:

god, i want to punch WB in the tooth!

Avatar Image says:

I knew that this was going to happen. Anything else, WB?

Avatar Image says:

why doesnt this surprise me??.. WB’s movie release date move screws up the flow of everything

Avatar Image says:

I’m with Billy. Can you imagine if WB published (or even had anything to do with the publishing) of the books? At least they can’t mess with The Bard.

I hope EA will use that time to add some new content or tighten up the existing content but I’m not too optimistic about that either. It is almost a year we’re talking about; with that time they can make the game closer to the book than the movie; as if that’s difficult.

Once again I feel like we’re going to get a game that can be finished in one sitting.

If only the movies and games provided even half as much great content as the books.

Avatar Image says:

It’s been reported that EA is losing $120 million because of the delay. Oh well, as long as WB rakes in its profits next year—who cares who they hurt? After all, it’s simply a business decision!

Avatar Image says:

OH well never mind.My birthday is in the summer.SO THATS GREAT GO EA GO WB.

Avatar Image says:

This relly sux cuz i was hoping on this keeping me occupied while i waited for the movie =P My sister deleted OOTP account on wii& i was 89% done!!!!!!

ckbjdldbvjs at least we still hae beedle the bard

Avatar Image says:

jk rowling did delay a release ootp!!!! lol

Avatar Image says:

Why would they do this to us its so wrong!!!! At least we can look forward to beedle the bar. Or will they delay that to.

Avatar Image says:

I am glad to hear that EA won’t be harmed by WB’s selfish decision. Thank you to those who know the industry and posted that EA has other hot games enlivening their revenue stream. I had this pathetic vision of a tiny company having to go on the dole! And was really mad at billionaire WB.

Avatar Image says:

Well this was the top. Those Warner bros assholes, idiots, bastards, sons of a bitches… can go to HELL… or if there is some place worse than the hell they can go there!!!

Write a Reply or Comment