Ralph Fiennes: “Indications that it’ll happen” for Return in “Deathly Hallows”

355

Sep 09, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Ralph Fiennes has given a new interview to Entertainment Weekly, where the actor reflects on his role as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter series. He also speaks favorably regrading the question about his appearance in the final two Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films by saying: “I’m not officially contracted to the last ones, but I think that’s in the cards’ he said. “I want to do it. It’s just that they haven’t got a script yet, so the deal side of it isn’t in place. But the indications are that it’ll happen.”

In addition, Ralph Fiennes gives general comments on acting in the Harry Potter films, and the challenges of bringing levels and nuances to such a villainous character as Lord Voldemort. Quotage: “That’s actually the hardest to do because you have to personify evil, and there’s such a history of clichés and villains and monsters’ he said. “You’ve got to struggle not to play all the obvious notes. And with such extreme makeup, such an extreme look ” that’s the challenge. Also, the style of the movies is so strong. The movie itself is its own machine, and you’ve got to fulfill a function of a bigger machine. It would be good to keep the sense of some kind of real psychology going on, even in all the special effects and everything.”

On a related note, you can see multiple new photos of Ralph Fiennes here in our image galleries, as his newest film, “The Duchess,” screened recently at the Toronto Film Festival.

Thanks EW!

35 Responses to Ralph Fiennes: “Indications that it’ll happen” for Return in “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

hopefully, he’ll come back. 1st?

Avatar Image says:

Come on, the alternative is like..recasting Voldemort in the last movie…which isnt going to happen. Fiennes wants to do it, so its gonna happen. There is no question of that – its just early days right now for the DH movie (what with HBP still being 9months away), so its hardly surprising theres nothing set in stone.

He will be back. Full stop

Avatar Image says:

Fiennes really sounds like a great actor doesn’t he. He actually putes a lot of care in playing a villain, where he could have made it a hamfest. He’s even thinking of the bigger picture. I bet he’ll be able to give more depth in DH, since he’s in it so much.

By the way, I’m back! ;)

Avatar Image says:

im so glad they chose him to do it. hes such a good actor :)

Avatar Image says:

Lol Victor, you’re too cruel..

I kind of agree. I do hope they keep in the first chapter, as well as the woods scene at the end as well as the scene with snape. I’ve never seen rickman and fiennes in character as snape and voldy would be, and I’d really like to see snape actually fear someone other than dumbledore on screen.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, good good good! I think Fiennes is superb in these films, I love (/hate?) his portrayal. Woot!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again! The scenes with Snape and Voldemort in DH will be pure electricity. I can’t wait.

• Dinner, Nagini

Yes, if there is anyone who could pull off those words with terrifingly chilling tones it would be Ralph Fiennes. That scene alone shows the cold cruelty that is Lord Voldemort .

He has it right, Lord Voldemort *is more of a psychological villian, he uses fear as his weapon without revealing himself openly. That needs to get across on screen and he is the one to do it.

Avatar Image says:

he is the best lord Voldemort ever! im glad they chose him

Avatar Image says:

i dont think i there is anyone else i could imagine playing Voldemort – he’s so great and i always get the impression he really understands the character.

Avatar Image says:

I like Ralph very much and admire him since years. I am sure that he will come back as Voldemort.

Avatar Image says:

ABSOLUTELY! That is great. We’ve only three more to go, and it would really be a shame NOT to have our favorite “Dark Wizard”! He is an excellent actor, and I can’t think of anyone, off hand, who could pull of ‘He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’ with such finesse [no pun, intended…but it gives chills, doesn’t it! LOL] I can’t wait to see ‘The Duchess’ as well!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I just watched OOTP (again) after having read the book (again) Don’t do it, its really irritating because the bits that have been dropped and added on to keep it flowing are just plain obvious! glad I got that out of my system. If you like Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleason (moody) and Clémence Poésy (Fleur Delacour) watch “In Bruges” Its weird seeing them together but playing different characters.

I know its not relevant I just had to say it.

Avatar Image says:

Hi No one else can take this part.

Avatar Image says:

It’s even funnier to see Ralph Fiennes playing a character named Harry in the film “In Bruges”.

Since GOF I don’t think there’s anyone better than Ralph Fiennes to play Lord Voldemort although I think Christian Coulson (that’s the one who played Tom Riddle in Chamber of Secrets) would do it great too. Christian had that really cruel touch that is so typical for Tom Riddle, but also his charisma… I think he would be a great Voldemort too, BUT, Ralph Fiennes is also good. I’m really looking forward to DH

Avatar Image says:

He can’t sign on until the script is ready because they’ll probably change the villain to Nigel or something. Only kidding, it’s good he wants to come back. He’s a great Dark Lord, if that’s not a contradiction.

Avatar Image says:

He has to come back for the last ones. Recating Voldemort after 5 movies would be like…changing the Draco’s name to Bob, if you get what I mean.

Avatar Image says:

H, whoever you are, you are hilarious!! Sorry but I couldn’t help cracking up after you said “they’ll probably change the villain to Nigel or something”!! Sorry about that. Ralph Fiennes is an awesome Voldy and I’m sure he’ll be back!!

Avatar Image says:

I mean who else could play this part and do it better? I can’t think of a single soul. Unless it was possible for the young man who is portraying Voldemort as a child to age about 20-25 years between now and when production starts.

Is anyone surprised?

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Kloves will write Voldemort out of the movie… and have Harry fight Neville… dies on the inside

Avatar Image says:

no I think it will turn out that Nigel is the real villain and he was using the imperius curse on voldemort the whole time so voldy is really completely innocent, now that would be a surprise ending…lol

Avatar Image says:

He’s a fabulous actor, I’ve seen him in many movies. I would be really stupid to recast him because he’s the perfect voldy.

Avatar Image says:

I liked what Ralph Fiennes said about having to “struggle to avoid all the obvious notes” and his desire to convey “the sense of some kind of real psychology going on, even in all the special effects and everything.” This must be a huge challenge, particularly with all that heavy, almost ‘KISS-style’ make up. He could easily come across as camp and one-expressioned but he’s a brilliant actor, one of Britain’s Greats and he does an excellent job of portraying that absolute hunger for power, Voldy’s utter lack of compassion, his almost ascetic self-denial, as well as his constantly bubbling anger and aggression.

Then again, I think that it’s also a mark of the strength of Jo’s writing – the fact that she always tried to avoid “all the obvious notes” when it came to LV and to present a sense of “real psychology”, tracing his desire for power and ‘specialness’ back to his roots as an orphaned, lonely, angry little boy, who had begun to discover that he could control his strange, fearsome and amazing powers through negativity, that he could ‘avenge’ his own past, his fear and anger, through venting them at others, that he might not be loveable but he was certainly fearable, and that in this, he could command some form of respect and power.

In a way, all that Fiennes ever needed to do to portray that sense of real psychology was to portray exactly what Jo had already written.

BUT… I think he does it excellently and he’s right, of course the studio will want him back as Voldy in DH, because he’s ace and also for continuity.

Thanks to all those who recommended “In Bruges”! I want to see that and “The Duchess” now!

Avatar Image says:

this is delightful news…although i always thought that rowan atkinson would have been a better original choice…

x

Avatar Image says:

He’s got 2 come back. We can’t see anyone else potraying d role of Voldemort. He’s as good as d Dark Lord as Dan as Harry Potter. And pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….................................. we don’t want 2 suffer from any more shocks.

Avatar Image says:

He is absolutely terrifying as Voldemort, and I mean that in the best possible way. Love him!

Avatar Image says:

lowerwolf…rowan atkinson…LOL! Mr. Bean goes to Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

I have been a fan of Fiennes since before HP. Anyone remember him in Red Dragon? (The remake) oooooo that was good. He can also be sweet, just saw Maid in Manhatten again on cable recently. No wonder Bella has a thing for Voldy! ha ha

“Victor

If only Fiennes could play Dumbledore also! Just imagine an actor who actually thinks about the character he is portraying! Posted by Victor on September 09, 2008 @ 10:52 AM “

victor .. you are soo right… i guess what i dislike the most about the movies, is dumbledore’s character! i mean he is soo far from the one in the books in every sense, that is almost frustrating!

go fiennes!

go fiennes! Posted by vic! on September 10, 2008 @ 09:13 PM

Indeed. Richard Harris was far more better than Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. Maybe we’ll see another Dumbledore in HBP, because he has to spend so much time with Harry in that movie. In the other movies the contact between them was just a couple of scenes so. Thanks to WB we’ll have to wait another 8 months to discover that… Assholes!

lowerwolf…rowan atkinson…LOL! Mr. Bean goes to Hogwarts. Posted by jlb on September 10, 2008 @ 03:11 PM

Before Ralph Fiennes was cast for the part of Voldemort, there has been the possibility of casting Rowan Atkinson. I’ve always wondered what that would have been like, asking myself how they could possibily see a perfect Lord Voldemort in the actor who played Blackadder and Mr. Bean.

Avatar Image says:

He`s back Ralph Fiennes is back !!!!! Is what we will be saying. Just like Harry saying Lord Voldemort is back. I don1t think they could find any one to pull off Ralph Fiennes portrale of Voldy. I liked when he was in the train station when Harry was walking to the train andseenVoldy in OP. That was a little spine tingling.

Avatar Image says:

i’m serious! rowan atkinson was heavily rumoured to be cast as voldy in the run up to goblet of fire (http://www.hpana.com/news.17805.html) – i think he would have been amazing and absolutely terrifying. ralph fiennes was the more ‘hollywood’ choice – but he has admittedly done a very very good job of it.

x