David Thewlis Talks Lupin and “Deathly Hallows”

379

Sep 12, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor David Thewlis has given a new interview to the Metro newspaper where he speaks briefly about his role as Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter films and his return appearance in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” He notes that Remus will be in the films for only a short time, and says “There are another two movies to go but I’m not really involved in it. I’m not in the last films much. It’s a week’s work here and there. I’m not constantly thinking of Harry Potter.”

On a related note, as we’ve reported previously here and here, David is currently starring in the new film, “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.” David attended the premiere of the film tonight in London, England, with new photos of the actor at this event available here via Film Magic.

UPDATE:David has made similar remarks about Lupin not being in the Deathly Hallows films much, here. Also, thanks to Snitchseeker, we know of a this audio interview with David on BBC1, where at the end of the interview, he discusses working on the Potter films. He jokes about the difficulty in trying to take home props (esp the wands) and things after filming is complete, and hilariously says that if things dont work out for him, he can always get a job working in the parades at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park.

34 Responses to David Thewlis Talks Lupin and “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Woo Hoo! Love ya, David!!

Avatar Image says:

I love him so much! I wished he and Tonks could have more screen time. I WANT THE HBP OUT IN NOVEMBER! : (

Avatar Image says:

Yay, I’m glad he’s going to be in it but sad because he’s going to die :( That scene at the edge of the forest better be EXACTLY as JKR wrote it or I’ll hunt down Kloves and Yates myself…

Avatar Image says:

Yessss. But as for the limited bit- I hope they only limited him as much as the book did (Deathly Hallows, we know HBP is a goner for his character already)

Avatar Image says:

YES!! At least they’re keeping Lupin in the final movies, though I’m going to sob like crazy when he dies during battle… :-(

Avatar Image says:

Well I’m glad he’s going to be in DH but it doesn’t sound like they’re going to keep any of his scenes except the battles which sucks cause he’s one of my favorite characters. And I really hope they don’t completely eliminate his marriage to Tonks and the birth of Teddy, but since it’s not absolutely essential to the plot I’m afraid that they will. And then the non-book reading movie audience won’t care that much when the two of them die since they will hardly know anything about them and therefore won’t feel the same emotional connection to them that we feel. Sigh.

Avatar Image says:

They probably won’t keep out his marriage to Tonks. At least I would hope not. I hate how the movie people block out so many of the secondary characters from the movies. Lupin and Tonks were that war’s James and Lily. They fought for their baby to make his world better and lost their lives because of it. It’s a shame that they might even think about keeping that out of the movie. But anyway, to get back on my original train of thought, if anything I wouldn’t be surprised if they replaced Bill & Fleur’s wedding with Lupin and Tonks’s. If there is even a wedding at all.

Avatar Image says:

I feel like just as movie Sirius’s death, movie Lupin’s death won’t elicit nearly as much emotion as the book character’s did and all because they haven’t developed these characters enough in the films…I have doubts about movie Dumbledore’s demise as well.

Oh That guys awesome,He’s JUST like I pictured Remus Lupin _

Avatar Image says:

Sirius’ death elicited plenty of emotion from me during the movie, Billy. I had plenty of time to care about Sirius during his scenes in POA and OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

If they do cut out Lupin’s and Tonks’s relationship, marriage, and child, I hope they also cut out their deaths (that is, them dying at all). That’s one change from the book I sure as hell wouldn’t mind them making.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t like him as Lupin at all. I wanted to see Paul Bettany as Lupin.

Avatar Image says:

So sad they’ ve limited his role so much..Lupin is absolutely more important than that they shown in the movies, he’d have deserved much more respect! :(

Avatar Image says:

Given that, the last we heard, Steve Kloves hasn’t even handed in the first draft for the second DH film, and had only handed in the first draft of DH part one, I suspect David Thewlis is going by how much he is in the book to base his comments on, it is way too early for him to know his filming schedule yet.

Avatar Image says:

Well they had better have him channel Michael Gambon like he did in the book and throw Harry across the room. That’s all I ask. ;-)

Avatar Image says:

i agree with you, billy. I wish they would make us miss movie characters more in these last films, and i wish lupin and tonks could be in the HBP more…but oh well, i still cant wait :)

Avatar Image says:

I didnt think that a script was even written yet. So I have to agree with gilyweed. I think this is all speculation on his part. He isnt in Deathly Hallows a ton but hes in there. So we will have to wait and see. As with everything people. Dont jump the gun. I liked all the casting, I have never had any complaints about any of the casting – I think they are all fantastic. You know right after someone is casted, whether we have seen them or not I picture them in my head while I am reading the books.They have to keep baby Teddy in it, and maybe even the wedding. For gods sake thats why there is going to be two movies, for that stuff.

Avatar Image says:

David’s a professional: he knows that small, powerful scenes are just as important as being on screen for 120+ minutes. Remember how well he did in those tiny scenes in PoA, talking to Harry about his relationship with Harry’s parents? Those emotional ties will get to play out, I’m sure!

Avatar Image says:

I saw the Metro interview this morning on the way to work. I usually don’t bother reading the ‘60 second interviews’ but his was good. He talks about a few things and is quite outspoken in some cases, like when he mentions Mike Leigh’s quote about him; ‘the tragedy of David is he’s never had a part like [Naked] again’ (his answer was ‘I’ve had a nice time since then actually’!). The funniest answer was to ‘What’s the best thing about coming from Blackpool?’; ‘I grew up in a toy shop next door to a sweet shop by the Pleasure Beach, it was idyllic’!

I was going to send a scan in to Leaky but then I had second thoughts, as some people on this site seem to be over sensitive when the actors so much as comment on America, which he does in relation to what he misses most about Britain.

Avatar Image says:

People are just going to have to start reading the books (Ahhh! Knowledge!) because they cut the Lupin/Tonks relationship in HBP and it’s going to seem weird that they start out DH married. You know, if they had no previous relationship.

Avatar Image says:

I hate his mustache. I know that’s such a silly thing to get caught up on, but whenever he’s on screen, that’s all I stare at.

If he is in DH and ends up dying, they’re sure to give it more mention than Jo did. Oh, by the way, Lupin died. That wouldn’t really work in a movie.

Avatar Image says:

What! I don’t like David not being in the movies as Remus, a lot. And Nat isn’t either.

I am a huge Tonks and Lupin fan. Oh,  if they have to die in the movie, please, oh, please, keep Teddy and their marriage. And if they do not have them married, then WB shouldn't even bother making Teddy in it. Without one element, it ruins the other.

I know that many people nowadays choose not to get married, when they have babies, but Lupin and Tonks should. J.K. Rowling wrote it that way, so it should be portrayed that way.

And I agree a hundred percent with potterhead23. WB should keep the “Forest Again” scene, above all, exactly the same, otherwise it just completely ruins the emotion, in my opinion.

I have high hopes for this one, as do the rest of the world I’m sure, but hey, what can we do? I just hope that HBP and DH won’t be as lacking to the book as they sound. :(

Avatar Image says:

That’s a shame. I really don’t like the direction they’re taking the series, now that it’s coming to an end.

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be awesome if David found a job at the Harry Potter theme park… just wish that he was serious(or sirius… LOL!) about it. It sucks that he won’t be in the last two as much because I was soooo sad when Lupin and Tonks died. :(

Avatar Image says:

Do you know what seriously erks me? We, as fans, have been very understanding when it comes to downsizing the plot lines for the movies sake. But when were promised two increadible halves of Deathly Hallows, only to hear that Lupins character isnt really involved in Deatly Hallow, even with the amount of time now slotted to improve the films ending, were still hearing disapointing remarks like that. I dont understand, I dont get WB and I certainly have been shaken by their conduct. Thank heavens HBP slot has been aslotted to Twilight. That, is a reason to shreik with glee! Rob Pattinson…yum!

Avatar Image says:

My favorite character is Lupin, so hearing that he will hardly be in the final DH films is heartbreaking. They’ve done so little justice to his character throughout the films… I’m much more a fan of his book counterpart, even though I think Thewlis has done a commendable job with the few scenes he’s been given (nevermind that Prisoner of Azkaban is my least favorite HP film…).

I cried over Lupin and Tonks in the final book, and couldn’t get them out of my head for days afterward. It is rare for me to feel so affected by a fictional character, but I still feel like tearing up if I think about it too hard.

I sincerely doubt the movie will be able to evoke even a hint of the emotions I felt reading those scenes in the book. As hard as it was to read those last tear-invoking chapters of Deathly Hallows, I think in many ways it will be much harder to witness the film’s indifference toward characters I have grown to love over the past 8+ years.

I suppose that’s why I’m thankful we still have our books to fall back on, whenever the movies just can’t get it right.

Avatar Image says:

there was an interview thingy with the people who play tonks, seamus and some other people and im sure they made that exact joke about they can always get a job in the theme park. come on man don’t nick peoples jokes, haha kidding.

Avatar Image says:

Well they said that they where more forshadowing the relationship so if we’re luck we’ll get some eyecontact and awkwars silences!!! WE LOVE YOU DAVID WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t like him as Lupin at all. I wanted to see Paul Bettany as Lupin.

Posted by Johanna on September 12, 2008 @ 06:25 AM

Johanna, I must admit, Paul Bettany is much better looking then David Thewlish, but I think that the Lupin-role is not one for a good-looking actor. David has a face that one would not trust at first sight (- he played a variety of nasty characters-) and therefor very suited for Lupin, who is someone who has to win trust through his personality in spite of what he is and not by the way he looks. Paul Bettany however would do much better as the opposite in roles like the classic galant cheats of Jane Austin like Mr Wickam or Mr.Willoughby

Avatar Image says:

Don’t worry guys, actually he should have as much screen time as he did in PoA, if you count the two DH films as one. Or at least way more screen time than in OotP or HBP. Yes, the script for DH1 isn’t finalized yet, and the DH2 first draft isn’t ready yet, but at least in DH1 he’s going to be in the 7 Potters sequence. In DH2 we should see him in the forest, in battle, and his scene with the trio where he tries to run away from his responsibilities. Keep in mind that Bill and Fleur have been cut fully, so in all likelihood Tonks & Lupin will be living in Shell Cottage and getting married instead. As to whether Teddy or the epilogue itself will be kept in, I can’t say anything yet.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll never forgive Yates and those other idiots for cutting the Lupin/Tonks stuff. He has RUINED potter for me. OOTP was an absolute dissgrace. RIP LUPIN, my all time favourite character and one of my favourite werewolves ever apart from Jacob Black and Seth & Leah Clearwater.

Avatar Image says:

Also, I meant I’ll never forgive them for cutting Bill and Fleur. They are VERY important to the story especially Bill gets attacked by Greyback. Very sad! AGAIN, just to clarify, the people who are working on this movie SUCK. Bring back Alfonso Cuaron! Thats all I have to say on the matter. POA was a million times better then the rest of the potter movies. It toally captured the dark atmosphere of the wizarding world and the characters were completely accurate. In OOTP the characters could not be any more different from the books if they tried. Harry and Hermione espeically were a complete joke in OOTP, nothing like the book characters. I mean seriously people, who’s in charge of these films? They need a good kick up the ass.

Avatar Image says: I like Lupin very much. Because I think he is very gentil. I'm Japaneas child. It's difficultfor me to write and understand English. So I don't unnderstand English. Sorry. I like Harry potter and Rems. I watch Harry potter move in japan. Avatar ImagecrazyforSeverus says: I love David as Lupin. I'm really disappointed he's not going to be in the 7th much. I didn't like the portrayal of his character in the Half-blood prince, I wish there was more Lupin.

Write a Reply or Comment