The (Almost) Case of Doctor Who and JKR

Sep 16, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Great leaping Tardis! New reports are online tonight regarding how Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling had been favored to be a guest on the popular UK program Doctor Who for the Christmas 2007 show. The BBC is reporting that Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies had wanted Jo to star in the episode, however the star of the program, actor David Tennant (Barty Crouch Jr.) nixed the idea. “David doesn’t like the JK idea, he thinks it sounds like a spoof, so we’ve paused slightly, wondering whether to win him round or just abandon something that he’s not going to be happy with,” Davies said.

Excerpts from new book by the chief writer are detailed in the Times newspaper and we can read more of the plan for the purposed J.K. Rowling guest shot as follows in an email exchange:

From: Russell T. Davies

To: Benjamin Cook

Sunday July 29, 2007 20:21:48 GMT

I had an idea on holiday. Such a mad idea that I phoned Julie, to start setting it in motion. I was in the shower on Saturday morning (you may avert your eyes), thinking about how much I’d enjoyed that last Harry Potter book, how I’d love to write something like that, remembering that, back in 2004, I asked J.K.Rowling to write an episode of Doctor Who, though she politely declined, and reflecting that we can’t possibly get someone to star in next year’s Christmas Special who’s as famous as Kylie…when all those things coalesced. BAM! I thought, don’t ask J.K. to write a Doctor Who, ask her to be in a Doctor Who! We’ve done Dickens, Shakespeare, Agatha Christie…why should kids think that all great authors are dead? Imagine it. A cold Edinburgh Christmas Eve. J.K.Rowling walking through the snow, pursued by a journalist. “What are you going to write after Harry Potter?”

The diffcult second album…Later, J.K. sits down to write. At the same time, a Space Bug (maybe the same as Donna’s time-psych creature in 4.11), probably put there by the Rita Skeeter-type journalist, leaps onto her back. ZAP!

J.K.’s imagination becomes real! A world of Victorian magic replaces the present-day world. The Doctor arrives and has to battle through a world of witches and wizards, with wands and spells and CGI wonders, to reach J.K. Rowling at the heart of it all… That’s either brilliant or more like a Blue Peter crossover.

But worth trying. It’s different, certainly. So, Julie is trying to set up a meeting with J.K. …Imagine those opening titles: DAVID TENNANT flying at you, then J.K.ROWLING!…Imagine the Doctor in a world of magic made real – that would be glorious. So, there we go. That’s under way.

From: Russell T. Davies

To: Benjamin Cook

Tuesday August 21, 2007 23:04:21 GMT

Christmas 2008 is steaming up on the horizon! I should be writing that in January. That’s like tomorrow! That could be J.K. Rowling, or Cybermen in Victorian London [This was Davies's first idea]. David doesn’t like the J.K. idea, he thinks it sounds like a spoof, so we’ve paused slightly, wondering whether to win him round or just abandon something that he’s not going to be happy with. We’ve got to keep him happy. He keeps us happy. (You should see the rushes of him and Catherine [Tate] chasing Agatha Christie in vintage cars – it’s a hoot!) Plus, he might be right. So that idea has parked itself, while Julie tries to find ways to approach J.K. anyway. And I doubt we’d ever get J.K. – she doesn’t need to do it – so Cybermen in the snow are hauling themselves back into my head.

Readers will also recall of course that David Tennant has made no secret how much he does enjoy the Harry Potter series, and you can watch a clip from an episode via our galleries of Doctor Who starring David Tennant, where magical events from Harry Potter and JKR are specifically mentioned.

Thanks much Roonwit!

89 Responses to The (Almost) Case of Doctor Who and JKR

Avatar Image says:

What’s doctor who? Anyway, hope she goes on, bring in the newbies. (first?)

Avatar Image says:

I wish JKR wrote an episode. That would be awesome!

Avatar Image says:

That’s to bad. I love Dr. Who and Harry Potter, together it would be awesome!

First Post!

Avatar Image says:

I think it would be great for J.K.Rowling to be on Doctor Who, but I wonder what her opinion is on being on the show it doesn’t look like she says anything about it.

First comment!

“First Post!”

Or not…

Avatar Image says:

I love HP and I love Doctor Who …Combined I think I might blow up!!!!!!!!!! Oh David, please say yes.

Lolz what?

Avatar Image says:

Journeys End would have been so much better if Jo had have written it….5985378 x more awesome to be precise. Its still awesome though! ^^

SPAZZATTACKSPAZZATTACKSPAZZATTACK

DAVID TENNANT, if you don’t do this episode with Jo, I will cease to love you. FOREVER. Jo’s world made real? Doctor Who coming to rescue/stop it? JUST DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN

Avatar Image says:

Fayewn. people don’t know what doctor who is??! Ican’t believe this was an idea in Russels head! how marvellous it would have been. though David might be right about it not fitting.

WHAT WHAT WHAT????

.... WHAT??!

This is AMAZING! Please, Please Mr. Moffat, DO THIS!

This was for LAST YEAR folks. :D

But really how awesome would it have been! The ep where they use “expelliarmus” is truly one my favourites of that season. And we KNOW Jo has the “acting chops” to do it if she had wanted to.

Avatar Image says:

THANK you David, for saving us from crack!fic… or just bad!fic. I love Doctor Who, and I really liked HP – however the two mushed together is like a few hundred badly written fanfics out there. That and with JKR cracking down on the Lexicon, which without – her books would have continued to have massive continuity errors – I wouldn’t want her near Dr Who. She’d find a way to sue and ruin that too.

Avatar Image says:

Can you all really see her doing it though?

It would be seen by the press (and I know, who gives a hoot what the press thinks, except the fact that they will hound her and slander her for months about it, so if I were her I might hoot) as a sad capitolization of her world and I highly doubt she would want to be seen as exploiting her own personal popularity. Most authors are private people, that is why we do not act.

I know, I know, and please, I do not mean to be negative, and Doctor Who is our beloved national television show over here and no one loves the show as much as I, but looking at it from her point of view, I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Just my personal opinion!

Avatar Image says:

BAAAHAHAHAHA to all the DT/DW fans out there.

Avatar Image says:

Wow and I thought I was being negative, fhew!

Avatar Image says:

Keep saying no, David. This kind of thing would be good for Comic Relief, but JKR has zero screen chemistry. It would be cringe-worthy.

Avatar Image says:

I seriously doubt that JKR will be in the Christmas special. It’s going to feature the Cybermen in Victorian England.

That said, I love Davies’s comment, “We’ve done Dickens, Shakespeare, Agatha Christie…why should kids think that all great authors are dead?” I would love to see his epic crossover idea, especially before David moves on to other things.

Avatar Image says:

even though i would like to see something like this (even though i’ve only ever watched a few doctor who episodes), it doesn’t seem to me like something jo would go for.

i’m sure she’s been asked to make guest appearances in other shows before and we’ve never seen her in anything of the sort. i think she might do something like this for charity or something, but not just because.

plus, i’m sure they’d have to make some sort of legal arrangements with WB in order to be able to do this..

Avatar Image says:

I like the way Russel is describing his wacky idea. I doubt Rowling would have ever agreed but then again she did do the Simpsons. But that was a quick voice over cameo. She wouldnt even do background witch cameos in the Harry Potter movies. Tell ya what though, she has the looks to make a great witch! Um..that was a compliment!

Avatar Image says:

My contention has been that Jo’s introduction into acting ought to be having her play Charity Burbage in the first of the two Deathly Hallows movies. But this would be almost as brilliant. Plus, they did sort of do the Rowling thing in “The Shakespeare Code”, with the oblique and overt references to Harry Potter. (And the Doctor was so right about Book 7! We ALL cried!)

Avatar Image says:

Just for the record I think that Jo is a very pretty woman, it is just that most photos the press snap of her have her speaking which let’s face it, very few people look ravishing whilst frozen with their mouths open at strange angles.

And once again I would just like to add that most novelists prefer to be heard and not seen.

Jo leads a rather reclusive lifestyle publicity wise and although Doctor Who is about as iconic here as the Simpsons are everywhere, the simpsons did not require her face or any other form of acting ability. I mean what is she but an excellent reader and that is all that was required for the Simpsons gig.

Doing Who would require her to act like those in her movies do and oh what the world would say if she a) was somehow percieved as worse at wand flinging than Dan, Rupert and Emma or b) was somehow seen as upstaging them because she wrote the thing and she knows how it is really supposed to be done and whoa the endless talk a stint on Who would generate.

True it would give us endless joy and give us a good couple of months worth of good bickering content, but I am trying (and admittedly pale in comparison) to think like Jo and I just cannot see any forseeable way in which she would do this. I mean the lady has grace and self-respect and she knows where her talents lye. Even if she were a huge fan of Who it would still be detrimental to her career to do anything in that mileu.

Plus as far as Who episodes go, and in any media now-a-days really, the concept of an author’s words somehow becoming real around them has been done to death, in fact there was even a movie in the 90’s starring John Candy which explored that exact idea. True there was no Who to save the day and true it was not nearly as fun as Jo’s world would be, but still, does no one have an original thought in media anymore?

Avatar Image says:

I kind of agree with Tennant. One would have to be extremely careful in writing such an episode so as not to appear trite or silly.

Another country to be heard from is JKR, who once when asked if she would be getting a camio in the HP movies replied that she had no desire to be in front of a camera. It won’t matter if she can act if she doesn’t want to. I can’t see her agreeing to this idea…though she was brilliant in the opening sequence for the PotterCast interview!

Pretty please? My two favorite fandoms uniting? Oh yes! _^

Seriously, the Doctor is a fan of Harry Potter [canon], and considering that “Expelliarmus” saved the world from ultimate destruction in 1599 (“Good old JK!”)... it’s a match made in heaven. Obviously, it wouldn’t be the world of Harry Potter, but the normal world of JKR.

It won’t happen, sadly, but that can’t stop me dreaming. ^_

Avatar Image says:

Actually as both a big fan of Dr Who and Harry Potter I think David Tennant has the better instinct here. It s a fun idea but unfortunately Russell Davies doesn’t have the chops to pull off something like that with out screwing it up royally and making it seem silly.

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter + Doctor Who is the most amazing combination ever. It’s deliciously good. Just watch “The Shakespeare Code” for evidence.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am like FREKING out right now! i love the doctor and Jo! this is going to be awesome! does anyone know if the christmas special for doctor who runs in just the UK or does it run in the US too?

Avatar Image says:

Well if RTD has resorted to these sort of gimics then thank the Lord he is leaving the writing team. What a truly dreadful idea. I want Catherine Tate confirmed for the next series, not (an albeit talented) writer with the screen presence of a sea slug.

Avatar Image says:

I love Doctor Who. And I obviously love me some Potter.

But in this case, I think I might have to agree with David. It could become really ridiculous, REALLY fast. Plus Warner Bros would have an absolute FIT. Now, if it could be done WELL, which is, I think, all David really wants, then yes, I’m all for it.

But it probably won’t happen now. RTD is no longer head writer/producer for DW (much sadface on my part for that.)

Avatar Image says:

Oh come on! Please?! I understand what DT means about not wanting to spoof it – it would have to be done just right. But RTD is more than up to the task. And it’s not like they haven’t spoofed other authors before – why not one who is living? I think it’s a FANTASTIC idea and I really hope they convince DT of that!!!!!!!! I can just imagine a funny scene where JKR takes out a time turner and the Doctor suggests using the TARDIS instead -or using polyjuice potion and the Doctor turns into Cpt. Jack…oh, ther are just so many brilliant possibilities here!!!

That would be MAGNIFICENT > U< Maybe. I dunno. But it’d be cool to see. XD

Avatar Image says:

I have to say sounds interesting but I highly doubt Jo would want to do something like that. Remember, she did turn down the invitation to play Lilly in the first film, even though that would just have required standing in front of a mirror. She could have done it perfectly well, yet acting (even from within a mirror) was just not something she wanted to do.

Is it just me or does Saille’s writing style remind me of Jo’s? Sorry, I guess I’m just being silly, which is probably due to the fact I recently read Jo has been known to post on fan sites once in a while. But whoever Saille is I agree with her (or his?) thoughts on this matter. Jo probably won’t act on Doctor Who. (sadly)

Avatar Image says:

No offense, but: Read the date, people. This was last year. This year’s Christmas Special is taking place in the 1800s!

And I have to agree with those who say that it was all for the better that this didn’t happen. It’s somehing you have to handle very carefully, and, I’m honestly not sure I trust RTD to do so.

Avatar Image says:

Jo’s first acting role should be as the muggles study professor in DH. I think John fom Pottercast suggested it first.

Avatar Image says:

I doubt she’d do it. Didn’t she turn down the role of Lily in the films?

Avatar Image says:

they should air Dr. Who is the US… when I went to england, everyone was raving about it.

Meh. She won’t do it.

Avatar Image says:

As brilliant as that would be… I doubt Jo would want to do it. Plus WB would completely flip a lid over copyrights.

According to the preview that they showed for the Christmas special at the end of this last season (or series if you’re in the UK) it is going to be cybermen not harry : (

Which is unfortunate because cybermen don’t make up for what happened to Donna cries the way JK would

Oh and @Rae, they do air Dr. Who in the US, but it was on SciFi Channel, which isn’t network, so not everyone gets it.

Avatar Image says:

On one hand, as a fan of both the Doctor and Jo, I’d love it, but on the other… It does sound like a spoof actually, a bit too much- AND are they so sure that Jo’s a good actress? Greatest writer of all time, yes, but acting’s a different job…

Avatar Image says:

I live in the states and My PBS station airs the Dr Who episodes 2 years behind. Right now we are watching series two for the second time. I do not think RTD’s idea is very good. It would be corny and irreverent to pull JKR into something like he suggests. I have been a Dr Who fan since my childhood in the 70’s, and think the Potterworld story would ruin Dr Who for me.

@ Jen

You just wait and see! In season 3, he mentions having read the last book of HP- but at the time it was first aired, the book hadn’t been released yet! That was fun ;) Made me wish I could time travel :(

Avatar Image says:

Oh my goodness, this would be so cool! i can’t believe how many people don’t know about Doctor WHo! It’s brilliant, my dad, my brother and I watch it every saturday when it’s on… It’s the best thing British SCI-FI ever came up with!

Avatar Image says:

I quote Jo:” I’m not a Ta-dah sort of person!” Jo is a writer and a very private person. Any personal appearances she makes are duty not choice, it goes with the territory in these days of high profile publicity. Did you see how thin she was at the time of her Harvard address? She had been ill at the thought of the ordeal, despite the fact that it was a great honour to be asked.

Avatar Image says:

Just to chime in on the comments of when they show DW in the US. It first-runs on Sci-Fi about three weeks after it’s on the UK (except for the Christmas specials, which are shown as the first episode of the following season, if you know what mean).

It’s then shown on BBC America about 9-12 months after that.

They’re currently in repeats with Sci-Fi showing late S3, and BBCA early S3. They’re also for sale on DVD and through iTunes.

It’s a great show and well worth checking out:

Avatar Image says:

Dr. Who is a load of rubbish anyway. Jo should stay away, she doesn’t need it, nor do we!!

Avatar Image says:

pity. that would be AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, my life would be complete if they could make this happen. ...Although I’m worried about Jo’s acting skills. And if she’d agree to do it. And if they could get David Tennant to like the idea. And…

Avatar Image says:

It’s disappointing that it actually didn’t happen!

Avatar Image says:

JKR and Barty Crouch, Jr.? :)

Avatar Image says:

i HATE doctor who. i wont go into detail about why i don’t like it or how rubbish it is (in my opinion) as all the DW fans will probably be chasing me down with pitch forks any time now if i did.. plus, everyones intitled to their own opinion, but if its a bad one.. just hush up about it. so i will (:

JK rocks. HP rocks.

..meh

Avatar Image says:

JKR and the rather annoying dude that played BC jr?

arg, no thanks! all those posting saying she should have a small role in a HP movie; gah! too much cheese!

cheesy corn in a yellow box with CHEESE written all over it. jeeez.

Avatar Image says:

JKR and the rather annoying dude that played BC jr?

s’like.. cheesy corn in a yellow box with CHEESE written all over it. jeeez.

Avatar Image says:

Just out of curiosity, why do lines sometimes mark through some of our sentences on this sight?

Avatar Image says:

D’you know, I was thinking exactly the same thing at the same time, I never realised I was such a skilled legilimens! Well actually the Dr was posing as a teacher in Hogwarts and had to conceal his sonic screwdriver in a chunky wooden stick!

Avatar Image says:

mad flailing YES PLEASE. I repeat, YES PLEASE.

Avatar Image says:

Holy G!!!! That would be terrific!!!! Harry Potter in Doctor Who!!!!!!!! But why David doesn’t want it???? He loves JK!!!!oh crap….

Avatar Image says:

I’d be OK with an appearance by JKR in a “Children in Need” special. I think that could work rather well. However, I wouldn’t want to see her in the regular series unless it was a cameo like those by Richard Dawkins or Paul O’Grady in “The Stolen Earth”.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmmm. I don’t know if I agree with David, or if my fangirl-y tendencies might get the better of me. It could so easily descend into farcical nonsense – under RTD it likely would have – but if Moffat could be persuaded round to the idea, heck, it just might work.

You know, if people are really keen on this, I would suggest they go looking for HP/DW crossover fanfiction. There are some excellent ones out there – try looking on LiveJournal for the crossover_hp and dw_cross communities. It might not be an episode of our favourite TV programme written by our favourite author – but it’s definitely better than nothing!

Avatar Image says:

Erm somehow I’m not convince JKR would have agreed anyway – she’s not an acress after all and hardly an attention grabbing celebrity who cant act either! Her writing an episode might have been cool but if she wasnt into it then i respect her decision not to do it. I also agree with David Tennant that this was not a good idea – though it was well meant from a Harry Potter fan!

Avatar Image says:

I think it is a fun idea that probably wouldn’t have worked. I get the impression that Jo isn’t confident in her acting ability, so I doubt she would have agreed, and even if she did she wouldn’t want to appear in more than two or three scenes. She would probably also want a lot of input to what happened, because I think she would want to defend the accuracy of the portrayal of her world, particularly if this was supposed to be coming from her head. But Doctor Who is an extremely flexible format so it could fit into that format without too much trouble, though I doubt they have the budget for too many special effects and too much CGI.

Avatar Image says:

This may be one of those ideas that sounds better in concept than it would be in reality.

Someone posted in these comments that they had read that JKR sometimes posted on these sites. That may be true, there would be no way of knowing. But I was posting fast and furiously during the whole court case, and there were a couple of super-intelligent people on there arguing against me and in retrospect I wonder if one of them might have been JKR. The person was basically chastising people for being overly-sycophantic, but in such a super-intelligent way. Of course I posted a snarky response to that.

But thinking about it later, it made me think about what I posted on here and just the thought that I may have been snarky and sarcastic to JKR (or another super-intelligent yet well-meaning person) made me just chill the heck out. Anyway, I know that is way off-topic, but another person’s post made me think of that.

Avatar Image says:

Ha ha Mimblewimble, I woudn’t about your snarky comment, it was probably not Jo she was too busy with the cout case then. I was posting fast and furiously too, but in contrast to you I found the specific people I was arguing against to be sort of sophmoric and empty in their arguments, their reasoning was sort of off. But I did notice some smart arguments on both sides, types that would make an english teacher proud. _ But the 2007 date made me realize it was most likely not Jo just now because the poster seemed to have overlooked that. On a note more related to the news topic, I’m sure warner brothers would try and keep Jo from doing guest appearances that included the HP storyline.

Avatar Image says:

People are blaming David about JK not appearing, do we even know she would definately have done it? I mean has anyone consulted HER? The article talks about it as an IDEA, not that they ever spoke to her and had it in concrete and then David poo pooed it. I very much doubt David is solely responsible. JK has before insisted she is not an actress and I’m not convinced she’d have done it regardless of how David felt. I feel like this is just blaming David and I don’t think it’s fair. It would have been an interesting idea and I most defiantely would have watched it but it’s not happening, and as I never saw it I have nothing to miss. We don’t know how good she would have been or how well the episode would have been written (and judging by the last series of the show and the last Christmas special it could have gone either way, there were very good episodes but also absolute stinkers especially the Christmas one). I’m pretty much ‘meh’ about the whole thing.

Avatar Image says:

Love Doctor Who, love JKR – but, yeah, they made the right call. A whole episode around her – notsomuch.

I did like the nod to Harry Potter when the Doctor and Martha met Shakespeare, though.

Avatar Image says:

Only read the first bit, but didnt it say the Christmas 2007 show? ... its 2008 right? Anyway I love doctor who and it will be amazing if she’s in it.

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOD!!! We have Doctor Who here in America and it is so HORRIBLE. It is so corny and dumb. I have to say, you British people are a little off your rockers.

I’m an American, too, and Potterhead 9 3/4 does NOT speak for me… d-:

Some of you are saying Jo should play Charity Burbage in DH… So.. you want her first live action role to be someone who hangs upside down for a bit, then gets killed, and then eaten by a snake? Wow… O_O

And btw, people seem to be forgetting she has been on a TV show—she did her own voice in a scene in the Simpsons.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, fenm, for that second paraghaph. Jesus Christ, you guys…

Anyway, I have to agree with David, that idea is a bit too spoofy. But if J. K. Rowling wrote a Doctor Who episode, I would SO watch it…

(And by the way, I’m not against a Doctor Who/Harry Potter cross-over, that would be awesome, a nerd’s dream come true, but IMO the concept should be better than this)

Avatar Image says:

i saw this on the Who boards yesturday. thank you David for having some sense! RTD needs to keep his hack paws away from HP, do we really want another Unicorn and the Wasp?

i really can’t wait for Moffet to take over.

Avatar Image says:

It could have been a fun Doctor Who episode, or a great dissapointment. I loved the Titanic Christmas episode with Kylie Minogue, but I thought the Agatha Christie episode was very weak. Funny at times, but not up to the usual standard. The Shakespeare episode was great. I loved it when the Doctor said how he loved HP7, and that he cried. As someone else mentioned already, this was way before the book came out !

Off-topic: I also liked how the Anne Hathaway character managed to get an early ‘manuscript’ copy of the new Harry Potter book in The Devil Wears Prada. Alright, call me crazy, but I like it when in movies or series like Charmed, Harry Potter is mentioned in a positive way. Even if I’m seriously watching it, it seems like I ‘wake up’ when this happens.

Avatar Image says:

Hi Siyrean, Sorry, but while I clicked on ‘post’ for my previous message, I realised what you wrote, and that the Unicorn and the Wasp was the title of the Agatha Christie episode. We definitely don’t want another one of those. I like Agatha Christie and I’m intrigued about the period in her life when she dissappeared, so this Doctor Who episode was very dissappointing to me. We certainly don’t want anything like that to happen to our beloved Jo and Harry.

But I do like David Tennant as the Doctor. Although Donna was a fun companion, I missed Martha, and I’m glad she reappeared in the last episodes (even if it was temporarily).

Avatar Image says:

I actually don’t think Jo would go for this. She is a very private person, and is very wary of doing things like this. Sure she has went onto to talk show type shows like Richard & Judy and Jonathan Ross, but to appear in scripted drama? I don’t think so.

Avatar Image says:

I love the JKR references in Doctor Who, but I agree with Tennant. That idea sounds a bit too gimmicky.

Avatar Image says:

OMG. My two favorite fandoms coming together!!!!!!!!!! That would be awesome. Although, I don’t think JK would probably like that idea.

Avatar Image says:

Nifty Niffler, I did not overlook the 2007 and 2008 idea dates, I was speaking of the idea the script writer had in general and the possibilities as to why the idea did not manage to come to pass. However I am extremely flattered none-the-less by your comment at my writing style, I do write professionally but am of course not Jo, who would (hopefully) not call herself graceful and classy and would of course not be flattered and excited at the mere thought that someone thought even for a moment that their writing style was at par with hers. That made my day! Thanks! Cheers!

Avatar Image says:

RTD didn’t write “Unicorn and the Wasp” (that was Gareth Roberts, who incidentally also did “The Shakespeare Code” which featured the HP references) and frankly it was one of the most well-loved episodes of the season, barring a few people who disliked it. What I don’t want is another “Silence in the Library,” but unfortunately we’ll be getting entire seasons of that rubbish.

I don’t want Moffat touching JKR or HP with a hundred foot pole. Considering that he’s known to be sexist (concrete quotes from him) and this is reflected in his weak portrayal of women in his episodes, I dread to think how he’d handle Jo and her world. That’s not even touching on how his ideas all consist of recycling his old ones.

I’ll never understand the RTD hate and the Moffat worship. RTD revived the show and although he’s certainly not perfect, has a pretty excellent track record.

The idea would have been cheesy, but cheesy in the way “Doctor Who” episodes generally are. That’s part of its charm. That being said, I’m pretty sure JKR would have been uncomfortable with it and turned it down.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think anyone is saying NO to anything. I think David Tennant is saying that if we have JKR on, we better have a first rate script idea so we don’t embarrass ourselves. So, all he is saying the doesn’t think this particular idea quite rises to the level of ‘a first rate script idea’.

It could still happen at some point, if they can come up with something that does justice to both Dr.Who and to JKR.

Avatar Image says:

Much as this sounds absolutely wonderful, I highly doubt Jo would’ve ever agreed in the first place!

Avatar Image says:

Was watching Season three Dr Who last night—The Shakespeare Code. There was a line about magic and Martha Jones asked if it was like Book 7 of Harry Potter and the Doctor said no but that he almost cried when he read it. At the end Shakespeare was looking for words to get rid of the alien and the Doctor suggested. Experiamous. Very funny!

LOL!

That sounds like Doctor Who, but I thnink Tennant’s right. That sounds like a spoof. What they could do is what they did with Richard Dawkins: just a brief cameo appearance.

It would go with the Harry Potter jokes made in the Dr. Who episode “The Shakespeare Code:”

MARTHA: “So, magic and stuff, that’s a surprise. It’s all a bit Harry Potter.” THE DOCTOR: “Wait till you read Book 7. Oh, I cried!”

SHAKESPEARE (trying to banish the Carrionites): “Vanished like a tinker’s cuss, I say to thee…!” (Shakespeare looks at The Doctor, unable to think of a rhyme.) MARTHA: “Expelliarmus!”

Avatar Image says:

Wow. That would be so awesome, i’m totally obsessed with Doctor who.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! That would have been soooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!! My 2 favoriteist things all mashed into 1!! I know like 2 other people who like Doctor who as much as I do in the US so that wouldve gottten my Harry Potter friends into Doctor Who!! But alas,it will never happen :(

thedoctorharry

P.S. The Angels Have The Phone Box

Avatar Image says:

THAT WOULD SO ROCK!!!! That would be the most coolest thing that has ever happened in the history of anything! LISTEN TO ME DOCTOR WHO PEOPLE: I do not care if David Tennant thinks its a bad idea. DO IT ANYWAY!!! Think about how many more viewers it would obtain! I have to go email my friend…

Avatar Image says:

Anyways, as The Doctor says… “Wait till you read the 7th! Oh, I cried!” And in the Shakespeare episode he says “Good old J.K.!” EVEN THE DOCTOR IS A FAN OF HARRY POTTER! It makes sense that he would go save her! DO IT PEOPLE! DO IT!

Avatar Image says:

Ha ha, you’re welcome Saille. I was pretty sure you weren’t, but the way you worded a few phrases made my think of Jo (yes, it’s easy to think of her whilst reading on a HP site) and I was in a speculative mood. :) I agree Dr. Who is not something she would enjoy doing, but if she were I wish she could guest start on every major television program. _ Now that my first branch of speculation has reached a dead end, I think I’ll make some more crazy theories.. .could that Neil on the other page be Jo’s lawyer? XD Kidding, I’m just having fun.

Avatar Image says:

i know he didn’t write that episode, but aside from Moffat, he pretty much tells the writers exactaly what he wants. “and frankly it was one of the most well-loved episodes of the season” according to who? most people vote it as one of the worst that season, along with VotD and PiC.

i’ve read the sexiest Moffat quotes too, yet i actually find his female characters to be stronger than RTD. i’m quite sick of love sick companions and nagging mothers (Donna’s his only exception really). give me more Nancy’s, Sally’s, Renette’s, and yes even River’s(if only to watch the Rose fangirls freak)

the RTD hate comes from him not knowing when to start taking some advice. i swear there’s a picture of him in the dictionary next to the definition of dues ex machina, he makes Rons use of parsal tongue look clever. yes, he’s a good producer, yes he had some really good idea’s for bringing the show back, but when it comes to the Sci Fi side of things, he comes up really really short.

Avatar Image says:

wow that be soooooooo cool the doctor and jo. that be like fire. he need her to do some magic. mean david be doll and said yes i will love u more it will be cool.

love hp and dr.who

Avatar Image says:

Whoever said doing it for Comic Relief instead of a christmas episode had a good idea. That way, it’s not precisely canon and it wouldn’t seem so ‘spoofy’. Personally, I’d love to see the Doctor try and deal with a world where Harry’s magic is real.

Avatar Image says:

BAH! David why would you say no to this???? I love you to death but seiourlsy come on!!!! Well this is going to happen this Christmas because a preview at the end of the series 4 finale showed that it will in fact be Cybermen in Victorian England. But I hope this does happen some day. JKR and David Tennant are my two favorite people in the worl and I would love to see them on screen together.

Even if the magic world doesn’t become an alternate universe (It looks like Davies was referring to the creature that created an alternate universe for DOnna in turn Left) I would just love to see JKR playing herself on Doctor Who. I think the magic world replacing the normal one is probably what turned David off to the idea. I think they should treat it more like they did with the Agatha Christie, Shakespere, and Charles Dickens episodes- stay within the normal world but still have elements of the author’s works coming through.

Write a Reply or Comment