TLC talks to David Heyman on HBP move, Deathly Hallows Scripts and more

116

Sep 19, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter film producer David Heyman has been conducting interviews in conjunction with the release of his newest film “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” which stars actor David Thewlis (Remus Lupin). Along with many other Harry Potter fan sites, we here at the Leaky Cauldron were able to speak to Mr. Heyman, who answered this editor’s questions regarding the recent move of “Half-Blood Prince” to next year, as well as give us an update on the elimination of beloved characters from movie six, their return for movie seven. Importantly, Mr. Heyman discusses why two “Deathly Hallows” films were good for keeping in the subplot on The Deathly Hallows, and gives us an update on the progress on the scripts for “Deathly Hallows” part one and two. You can read the entire interview below.

Hi David, it’s Sue from Leaky. ¨After the news broke on the decision to move the film until next year, fans were very upset and (WB president) Alan Horn weighed in with his thoughts on this matter. Have you any words that you as the producer can say to those fans who are still very upset and concerned their feelings and dedication to the series are not being taken seriously?¨¨

DAVID HEYMAN: The fact is that my passion and that of everybody who works on the film is undiminished. It is called ˜the film business’ and the reason why Warner Bros moved the date was for business reasons. Because of the writer’s strike and other factors in Hollywood there was not the pipeline of material for next year that they needed. They had a very big year with The Dark Knight and they needed a big film for 2009 and Harry Potter filled that slot. I appreciate the disappointment, I really do. As a film maker it is always nice to finish a film and move on to the next. But I think that the film will not be hurt by this experience at all. The studio has always been, and remains, committed to the film in every way. If the film had come out in November this year, there would have been a two year wait for the first part of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows. What now will happen is that there will be a two year gap between Order Of The Phoenix and The Half Blood Prince and there will only be, in ball park terms, a 16 month gap between Half Blood Prince and the first part of The Deathly Hallows. The Deathly Hallows is coming out in exactly the same schedule as was originally planned and we are starting principal photography in February as planned. So nothing has changed with the other films. As opposed to there being a two year gap between Five and Six, there will now be a two year gap between Six and Seven.

TLC. After the move of HBP to next year, we were uncertain if you were still going to do those test screenings, and I think its safe to say we were all thrilled with those reports from the first screenings-I know I can’t wait to see the movie! However, given there has to be cuts in beloved characters such as the House Elves, can you tell us if these things will impact the development of movie seven and eight (ie events at Gringotts/Grimmauld place and we love Dobby!).

DAVID HEYMAN: Inevitably there will be certain things that we will probably have to introduce and emphasise in the Seventh film. Before we read the Seventh book there had been things in the earlier films that we had not realized how important they were. There was an example in the Fifth film when we were considering cutting Kreature but Jo [Rowling] said to me¦”I wouldn’t do that if I were you’¦She didn’t tell us why, but she said we would be advised to keep him. And of course in the Seventh book Kreacher is an important character. It has been a while, for example, since we have seen Dobby and I suspect we are going to have to make more of Dobby in Seven than we might have done. I think we have done a pretty good job of what we need in terms of the plot.

TLC.How are we doing on the scripts for both the DH films btw?

DAVID HEYMAN: They will be very faithful to the book. On of the pleasures of having the time to make two films means we will be able to go into more detail than we might otherwise have been able to do. If we had only done one film we were concerned that we might have to remove The Deathly Hallows. We never went that far but that would have been something that might have had to come out, which would have been terrible! The script is coming along well; I have read the first half of the adaptation. I have not read the second half, that should be coming in the next few weeks.

FROM: JOHN MILLAR
QUESTION: What was the toughest thing about bringing The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas to the screen?

DAVID HEYMAN: It was actually a fairly organic process. I know that is going to be hard to believe but I read the book and loved the book but I was a little cautious about embarking upon it, just because of the challenges involved in bringing it to the screen. Mark Herman [the director] optioned the book and then came to me with the screenplay and it all seemed very clear to me. Mark did such a great job with his adaptation in script form and Brassed Off [which Mark Herman directed] was one of my favourite British films of the last 20 years and so the challenge in The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas was getting it done within the budget that we had because clearly there was only going to be a finite budget to make it. But Miramax were incredibly supportive and did not ask us to change the ending, did not ask us to really alter much. I suppose in terms of actually getting it made it was a fairly straightforward process. I liked the book, Mark Herman liked the book, he did a screenplay, Miramax liked the script and had always been interested in the book and decided to make it. So it was much less challenging than it might appear. I think it is just a sign of what good fortune I have had in my recent life. But I suppose one of the great challenges was looking at this from a child’s point of view and managing some of the more naive aspects of the book, which I love in the book but which when translated to film might be a little difficult and not as involving but off-putting. So trying to capture the spirit of the book, yet acknowledging the different demands of a film was a challenge.

QUESTION: How hard was it to find Asa Butterfield and Jack Scanlon to play the children Bruno and Shmuel in The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas?

DAVID HEYMAN: It was quite hard. We had the fantastic Pippa Hall whose specialty is child actors and she found the boy who played Billy Elliott. I have known Pippa since I was a child. We had approached Leo Davis to do the casting and Leo brought on Pippa. She scoured and scoured the country. It was a fine balance because you wanted the children to possess the essence of the characters because however their imagination you are very often working with the innate essence of a child. So Pippa showed us hundreds upon hundreds of tapes of children, most of whom had very little experience. When it came down to it, our Bruno had no film experience at all. In a way part of the innocence of Asa Butterfield served us well because he was not particularly knowledgeable about the Holocaust, he wasn’t particularly experienced in film making. He became a little bit more knowledgeable of both through the process of making The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and I think that the gradual increased awareness of both the Holocaust and the film making experience fed into the journey that the character goes through in the film.

Thanks much to John Millar and Krzys!

Update 1: In an interview with Snitchseeker regarding the premiere of the HBP film, Mr. Heyman said that
“We suspect that there will be a premiere in New York and one in London. ” He also confirmed the reason behind cutting the battle at the end of the HBP was indeed due to the big battle that happens at the end of Deathly Hallows.

Update 2: In his interview with HPANA, David Heyman noted on the identities of each of the Deathly Hallows films by describing them as “We try to focus on a specific theme within each film and each of these films will have a specific theme running through it. In terms of camera work and lighting there will be slight differences. We are aiming for a slightly different aesthetic”

Update 3: From the HarryPotterspage interview, we hear more on what Mr. Heyman’s plans are post-Potter:I am both excited and frankly a little saddened by the end of the series growing closer. Working on Harry Potter has been the gift of all gifts. It has changed my life in every which way. Every day working on it, I promise you, has been an absolute pleasure and something that will never be repeated. I am sure that when the time comes it will be a very sad day. I work with certain groups of people every day and I will not be doing that in the same way in the future. I will also be very proud because I am very proud of the films and very proud of the body of work that I have been a part of. At the same time I will be very excited about the new challenges that lie ahead. I am working on a book called The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time which I look forward to working with Steve Kloves who has written the Harry Potter films and who will write and direct that. Even now I am working on Paddington Bear and some other more adult films. I also made a few other films while I was producing Harry Potter so I am looking forward to having a little more time to work on those things. But Harry Potter will always be a part of me and what an amazing journey it has been.

68 Responses to TLC talks to David Heyman on HBP move, Deathly Hallows Scripts and more

Avatar Image says:

Good interview. The outlook for DH seems promising.

Avatar Image says:

thanks for the info (I’m still worried about HBP though and what they’re doing about Ginnie and the ROR). I tried to get to Snitchseeker’s interview and couldn’t. Know why?

Avatar Image says:

I like Heyman – good interview Sue.

Avatar Image says:

This is indeed good news Sue ! Wonderful interview and thanks so much for enquiring about our beloved Dobby. That is a heartbreaking death in the book and I am happy to hear Mr. Heyman is aware of its importance.

I believe there is a mistake here :

It’s the other way round right ? There is now a two year gap between 5 and 6 instead of 6 and 7. Or – am I reading that wrong?

He’s being quite careful in his answers but the definite inclusion of the plot of the Hallows must mean we shall meet Xeno Lovegood at the very least. Also, perhaps, since the screen test of HBP shows Ollivander being taken and his shop empty, we may even get that horrific scene at the Malfoy Manor.

Either way, I am just thankful for more Harry Potter in whatever way it unfolds.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not even that upset anymore,nut imagine how great it would it be to see HBP in 2 months:( I just hope they won’t delay DH 1 because its in November like HBP was. And I like the sentence:”They will be very faithful to the book.” I hope so. because I sort of started to feel that its not Harry Potter anymore. and I think we all have big expectations for DH 1 and 2.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, cool…so they’re bringing Dobby back for Part 1 then? Bringing him back just so he can die…? xD lol

Avatar Image says:

nice. _ They’re bringing Dobby back!!

Avatar Image says:

If DH was only going to be one film and they cut the deathly hallows I wonder what they would have called it? lol

Avatar Image says:

“It is called ‘the film business’ and the reason why Warner Bros moved the date was for business reasons. Because of the writer’s strike and other factors in Hollywood there was not the pipeline of material for next year that they needed. They had a very big year with The Dark Knight and they needed a big film for 2009 and Harry Potter filled that slot.” – At last we get some honesty about the date switch!!! That at least was an answer we can respect. Thank you Mr Heyman for telling it like it is.

I was also pleased about his DH comments. They do seem to be making an effort to keep as much in as possible. However, it does seem that they may be regretting some of the cuts from earlier films.

Really good job Sue!! You rock!

P.s. You couldn’t ring him up and ask him if the fx guys will keep working on no. 6 until next year, could you??? I’d be interested in knowing the answer, because I thought some of the effects in 5 were rushed and as a result, not that great (e.g. grawp and the centaurs).

Avatar Image says:

well I’m certainly glad there not cutting the hallows! what would they call the movie! harry potter and the seven horcruxes?!?

Avatar Image says:

ya im glad they said there trying to keep the DH true to the book :D

Avatar Image says:

how can they not have known what would be important? if you read the books closely, jo hints in very specific ways. she tells us without telling us. i’m glad for all the good things he said are coming our way, but sometimes i just scratch my head and wonder if these guys could do with some HP cliffnotes.

Avatar Image says:

i freaking love dobby :) . i’m glad they are going to incorporate more of him . and yes , i do think there is a mistake : So nothing has changed with the other films. As opposed to there being a two year gap between Five and Six, there will now be a two year gap between Six and Seven. But i am pretty thrilled ! [:

Avatar Image says:

You know, I never really had a problem with the postponement of the movie. Yes, I was shocked and a little disappointed when I learned about it, but this way they’ll be able to spend more time on important details, and improve the special effects.

Good interview with Heyman. He’s very charismatic and really respects this process of adapting the book to screen. I believe these last few movies will leave us (if you’ll pardon the pun) absolutely spellbound. He’s really telling the truth when he says that these movies are very important to them, not only because they make money and they’re making movie history, but really because of the depth of the material that they’re filming, and how important the overall moral of this series is.

Avatar Image says:

I love David Heyman and his dedication to making the Harry Potter saga come to life. I just won’t get my calendar out and set my life based on when DH 1 and 2 might be released. After all the WB seems impervious to everyone’s input, even the producers.

Avatar Image says:

It all has to do with money on the new release date. They want a sure thing for making money next year. They are finding out that dropping details and putting in what wasn’t in the book is biting them in the butt now. Wish they would get back to the trueness of the first two films. Sure do miss the original Dumbeldor!

Avatar Image says:

If they don’t have the battle, then Harry doesn’t need to give his friends that last of his Felix Felicis, right? I wonder if they are going to discuss the potion before he leaves for the cave. And if none of that happens then the potion is kind of pointless. I mean you need it for a few things that go on, but it all ties together to make a stronger subplot.

Avatar Image says:

WOAH. They’re planning on bringing Dobby back! I am honestly surprised. I thought they’d replace him with Kreacher. This should be VERY interesting how they reintroduce him.

Avatar Image says:

FINALLY! Thank You David Heyman for having enough respect for us to be honest with us! Hearing the REAL reason for the HBP release rescheduling (we already knew the truth despite what Alan Horn tried to make us swallow)is a lot more palatable coming from you in such a candid manner.

Honesty, honor and integrity is something that Alan Horn is severely lacking.

Alan Horn’s smarmy, evasive excuses just makes my skin crawl.

David – PLEASE don’t ever let the “business” turn you into a callous miscreant.

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if the move is more taxes than profits. Too much income one year, and too little the next means a big hustle to pay the over flow taxes from the good year without much new money in the next year

Avatar Image says:

Wow, in the HPANA interview, Heyman says that they will absolutely be changing the HPB film during the months to come. I believe him. My question is, why did WB say that the film was completely done if Heyman is saying that they will still be working on it? Lots of people said they wouldn’t mind the delay if they knew it was to make the film better, and it turns out they are using the delay to make the film better, although the main reason is probably the financial one. Why did WB have to say that the film was completely done and wouldn’t be changed? What’s the point of being untruthful like that when the truth is obviously going to come out anyway? Why couldn’t they just say, “we are moving it because of the money, but we will also use the time to fine-tune the film and make it even better.”? I don’t get it.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Staying true to the book, introductions, house elves- all is right with the world.

Avatar Image says:

Im just glad to hear that their keeping Dobby in the movie! That was one od the hardest scenes to read, right next to Freds, Lupin and Tonks! Oh and Hedwig. I’ve got to stop, Im going into a spiral, here.

Avatar Image says:

idc if there 2 year wait for HBP and DH just give us our november back transformers 2 is comin out in June and i wud rather have a fall-winter movie to enjoy. i mean wut wud there be to watch in the fall

Avatar Image says:

agree with kerri, glad to read that they are making use of the extra time available to stay ‘faithful’ to the books, and inclusion of kreacher AND dobby looks hopeful. The dobby scene is the most emotional in the books for me after the ‘forest again’ scene.

Avatar Image says:

what a great interview. i got to say i’m a little relieved about knowing the REAL reason behind the change of date. stupid alan horn. but i must say i was laughing quite hard when he said they were going to have to “cut” the deathly hallows. i mean seriously what would they have called it? harry potter and the last book? or something so NOT true to the series.

it’s great to know they’re suffering a little bit on the whole taking dobby out thing. they obviously regret taking out many things that were important. and i agree with an earlier comment. how in the world could they have not known something was important? jo rowling hints throughout the series about really important things… like the reappearance of dobby in book 4 AND 5. it’s biting them in the behind now.

i do wonder how in the world they’ll kill dumbledore now that there’s no battle scene. i mean there at the same time for pete’s sake! i just wish there was more of an ending to that book since the battle is SO important. i mean i don’t think jo rowling would have put it in if it wasn’t important. seriously! she never puts anything in that’s not important. and obviously they’re not going to put in bill and fleur’s wedding in the seventh now either. because they can’t add him in the sixth since there’s no freaking battle scene. it’s just so FRUSTRATING!

anyways, david heyman i’d tip my hat to you (if i had one.) thanks for the unanswered questions and a good reason on the delay of HBP.

Avatar Image says:

Mimblewimble, they make changes in every film after a test screening. HBP isn’t getting special treatment because of the date change. It’s getting the same treatment all the past films have done. Heyman said they have the screenings so they can fix problems people had with pacing and other confusing aspects. He even said they do that with every film. For the most part, the movie is done, and they’re tweaking things here and there.

This was a great interview with Heyman, btw.

Avatar Image says:

Mimblewimble, they’re tweaking the films as they’ve always done after test screenings. Nothing is different other than they have more time to do it all in. Tweaking doesn’t not mean changing it the way you might think.

Avatar Image says:

Mine isn’t working either. It didin’t earlier.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks so much for getting his take on the postponement, Sue. I’m still mad and don’t intend to give WB any business until HBP, and I think the whole thing was handled terribly with the way they pulled the rug out from under us at the last minute. I do hear the business reasons for it, but it should have been decided long ago so that we didn’t get sucker-punched like that with 100 days to go. And can I just say that I would be very grateful to never again hear about no more 2-year wait between movie 6 and 7?! We unexpectedly got it now, and those are such empty words because they could easily decide to postpone DH. Whatever…life goes on, and they’ll just have to pay the consequences for angering so many fans, which they obviously calculated to be less severe than not having a big movie next year. Sounds like they’ve been shocked at the reaction, which is beyond me…but on to good thoughts! Hooray! Sounds like they’re keeping Dobby in Deathly Hallows! That is a huge relief. I would have been beyond upset if his death scene and burial got cut, painful as it will be. All the talk of replacing him with Kreacher always sounded ridiculous to me, so Heyman’s words are a big comfort. It’s also great to hear that he anticipates being very faithful to the book. It’s about time! I know folks are bound to chime in upset over that and lamenting over what a boring movie it will make, but it’s about time they got back to canon! :-) JKR wrote a great story that just does not need that many tweaks to work on the screen; I just hope they’re true to their word about staying faithful and getting DH out on time (though we won’t know that until we’re right at the release date, as WB has lost all credibility and proven their advertised release dates mean absolutely nothing).

Avatar Image says:

One more thing: regarding the battle scene at Hogwarts, I think what he meant is that they didn’t want the big battle in DH to look like a re-hash of the one in HBP. While a little disappointing, I guess it makes sense to me. Well, sorta. But I do hope that since they have extra time they might try to make some actual substantial changes if needed. That would make the wait worthwhile and put a REAL silver lining on the release date change.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope they keep Dobby in DH!!!! I have no idea how they will reintroduce him, but I guess they’ll have to find a way. And I really hope they keep the whole Kreacher/RAB subplot too cause I’m really scared that they won’t. Yay for house elves!

Avatar Image says:

“HPANA: From a purely artistic perspective - which you said was one of the reasons for the delay - will the extra time be used to work on the film?

DAVID HEYMAN: Oh absolutely!”

OK, this is the quote upon which I based my previous statement. HPANA says that Heyman said that the artistic perspective was one of the reasons for the delay (although I haven’t seen the quote to which they are referring). Why would they say the “artistic perpective” was one of the reasons for the delay unless that meant improving the movie was one of the reasons for the delay?

By the way, I am not angry about the delay; I did make an extremely sarcastic comment when the news first broke, but even then I knew I would get over it pretty quickly.

Avatar Image says:

He finally spoke out the real reasons. This is the answer I was hoping to hear, that people do feel passion for Jo’s work, but it IS a business and there’s not much you can do about it.

Avatar Image says:

With regard to working on the film, there is Parkinson’s law which says “work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.” Had they stuck to the November release the film would still be ready, but because of their change, they will take more time over it (particularly special effects), which means they can probably do a slightly better job, and achieving a slightly better end product.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t recall Heyman ever saying that, Mimblewimble. I’d need a quote. They’ve said repeatedly that the only reason for the delay is because of the writer’s strike and having nothing good in 2009.

HBP is still being treated the same as the other films. It will be ready by November. But like roonwit said, they do have more time now and things like special effects will surely be amazing come July.

Avatar Image says:

Yay Dobby’s coming back!!!

to die :(?? doesn’t feel right, but he deserves to comeback.

I’m so glad he admitted to this

“Before we read the Seventh book there had been things in the earlier films that we had not realized how important they were.”

I guess because to us fans everything is super important!!!

Avatar Image says:

Just want to add my voice to the chorus of appreciation for Heyman’s frankness. He says it without the smarm.

Yep I’m happy now!

Avatar Image says:

Ok, so no battle at the end of HBP. Does this mean a drastically re-worked Lightning Struck Tower “chapter”? Is there still the Harry/Snape clash at the end? I really hope so…

Avatar Image says:

mr.heyman explained the delay much better than alan horn did now i dont fell like throwing toilet paper and eggs at warner brothers

Avatar Image says:

So it’s true thyy left Dumbledore’s funeral out? How could that be possible?? That’s such an emotional moment, your ending better be good WB!

Avatar Image says:

Same tired old excuses, worth nothing. WB is unbelieveably rich, and there is no reason why the film should make more in July that it would have in November (the first film was the highest grossing to date, released in November).

So the only reason for moving the film is to make their 2009 gross higher, which is, frankly, pathetic and serves no real purpose apart from making WB look better for their shareholders, pissing off their moviegoers and ruining the profits of their merchandisers.

Thankyou David for giving us the real reason for this stupid and rather pointless business decision. I figured it out myself a long time ago, but thankyou for giving it to us without the sugar-coating that Alan Horn thought we would swallow.

Still boycotting the entire theatrical run of HBP. Yeah.

Avatar Image says:

so HPB won’t have a battle at howgart?

This is what David Heyman said in the HPANA interview:

“HPANA: The delay of Half-Blood Prince is unprecedented for such a high profile and successful franchise, and Warner Bros. has received a lot of flack from fans. Alan Horn even said the film was ready to premiere in November, yet the recent screening in Chicago produced mixed reviews. From a purely artistic perspective - which you said was one of the reasons for the delay - will the extra time be used to work on the film?

DAVID HEYMAN: Oh absolutely! The reason for a screening such as the one in Chicago is to give us information about any areas of confusion or pace or any issues that may arise, and work on them. So over the last couple of weeks, we have been working incredibly hard on the cut of the film and we will make changes to improve it. It is something that we have done with every film in the Harry Potter series.”

People still seem to think that the special effects are going to be redone or additional filming will take place. Read my lips: it won’t happen. There will be NOTHING new in the final film compared to what was shown at the Chicago screening, except that the missing effects will all be rendered over the footage.

All that they are doing now is what they always do after a test-screening, they change some scenes around and cut some scenes out, based on the test audience feedback. So if anything we will get LESS footage in the final film, not more.

This process would have been finished well before the release of the film, if the film had kept to it’s original release date. They will have finished this process before November 2008, and then the film will not be touched again until it’s new release time in July 2009.

There is no way that they are going to put the film back in production and go over budget. No way at all. The film may be worked on for the next month or two, but that will be it.

Avatar Image says:

Oh well, at least he was honest…by now, the whole HBP thing has worn off even…I’m just waiting for Melissa’s book!!

Avatar Image says:

Dont get me wrong I am looking forward to the two films and I like what theyr going to do but I now think the decision was made with a money the biggest factor unlike they said at the time. That is nice that David took the time to talk about this with the fansites.

Avatar Image says:

What are they going to do about the fact that we haven’t seen Mundungus or the Locket at Grimmauld Place in OotP? They’re going to have to invent some other way for the Locket to wind up at the Ministry.

Avatar Image says:

Well, Alan Horn must be muttering “I said the same thing, how comes the fans are kind to Heyman, and I get eggs?!? Not fair”. Tact, Mr Horn, that and a sincerity in delivery of statement. Heyman spoke to the fan sites with more respect and with less condescending. Alan may be a good president and a business man but he is one lousy PR and must not be let loose in that arena again!

This Boy in the striped Pyjama looks wonderful. The trailer grabbed me too. Cant wait to see it though I am torn as to whether I should read the book first.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you, again, TLC and especially Sue, for bringing us more HP news! Mr Heyman was very frank and to the point. This is a good thing. I think, now that the movie has been moved, more time CAN be devoted to “tweaking” and “fine tuning” HBP. It will be MOST interesting to see how they have re-worked ‘The Lightning Struck Tower’. Good job, MR H, and thanks Sue. [As always] Leaky Cauldron leads the way on the HP information highway!

Avatar Image says:

And we would have named the movie: Harry Potter and the Directors Cut or Harry Potter and the Deathly Cut to keep closer to the original. Leave it to Hollywood to kill a great work,

Avatar Image says:

Im sorry, but with no hogwarts battles and dumbeldore death/funeral, the HP film franchise is runined, for me anyway. Towards the end of book 6, these parts make up a good quarter of it and where the most shocking scenes. So how do we know they had a fight and Dumbeldores death for film 7 then? How do we see Snape kill him and run off down the grounds, wondering if hes a goodie or a baddie?

Avatar Image says:

so close but so far away!!!

You can say that again, Adam! :P

Actually, they’re getting around the final Harry/Snape battle by cutting Snape out of the film entirely. (just kidding).

They’d better make it work.

Incidentally, I can’t stand changing films because of test audiences. What if the audience is full of dunces?

Avatar Image says:

Important things left out of the films: 1) Mundungus Fletcher; 2) The locket; 3) The mirror Sirius gives to Harry; 4) The Vanishing Cabinet (although if there’s no battle, maybe there’s no need for it – but what would Draco’s “plan” be, then?)

Anything else?

Avatar Image says:

id kill myself if they cut the deathly hallows out of the deathy hallows it even looks stupid writing it

Avatar Image says:

“Very faithfulto the book” ! Not if you’ve changed the ending it isn’t!

Honestly, if this film is as stupidly short as OOTP I will not be a happy bunny!

Avatar Image says:

I hope I’m not the only one seeing how ridiculous it would be to cut the Deathly Hallows out of Deathly Hallows. I mean, really. :-\

Avatar Image says:

I am getting so sick to the back-teeth with the volume of comments relating to things being left out of the films! It seems there is an endless stream of “Why are they leaving out Dumbledore’s funeral?” “Why no Gaunts?” “Why no battle at the end of HBP?” and so on and so on…Personally, this is really killing my buzz for HBP the movie. Once for all: we care about these books, we love them, but they DO NOT BELONG TO US. They cannot be represented (verbatim) on screen. If we want an experience that is indistinguishable from the books, then go (re)read them! I for one love what they have done with the movies. Just look at something like “The Golden Compass” and realise how truly awful these films COULD have been. So stop whining and nit-picking…it ain’t big and it ain’t constructive.

Avatar Image says:

Nige, there are a constant stream of comments related to the battle at the end of HBP because it serves a pretty instrumental purpose. Without a battle, it brings up quite a few questions related to the plot of the film.

For starters, the cabinet Draco spends an entire year fixing. He builds the cabinet for Death Eaters to enter Hogwarts. If there’s no battle, why does he do it? Will the Death Eaters give him moral support? If there are no Death Eaters, what does Draco do throughout the film in the RoR?

If there are Death Eaters, what do they do if they don’t battle? Does Snape kill Dumbledore and then flee Hogwarts without drawing the attention of anyone else in the school? Does Harry chase Snape through Hogwarts without catching him, hexing him, or being hexed?

I, and certainly many others, realize that things need to be cut, scenes need to be edited, etc. But changing and cutting the entire ending raises many valid questions.

Avatar Image says:

As I noted Andrew – the constant disparaging of the films is becoming extremely wearing, especially when we don’t know the answers to such questions as you (quite rightly) pointed out. Just fed-up with the pointing out of the obvious; driven to distraction when Goblet of Fire was released and we had a constant cry of, “Why no S.P.E.W.?” As if the filmakers didn’t “notice” that part of the book and so let it out, rather than making a very conscious decision to excise it. If JK is happy, then so am I…she is (at the end of the day), a master storyteller and a genius of a writer. And she has aprpoved the script. On the subject of the ROR, I think Draco will fix the cabinet, and allow the Death Eaters to enter the castle…the significance of this is underlined more by the resultant feeling that Hogwarts is no longer a safe haven any longer. That is what I will be looking for in the close of the film.

Avatar Image says:

Well I am upset that the funeral is not going to be in the movie… and what is with this fight at the burrow (a whole movie early)??? Now david said they where not going to have the fight at Hogwarts until DH, do to repation…. but what about the burrow!!! I have done some blogging and found that alot of people are upset like I am with the fact that not enough dedication to the book is being considered. I hope that David sticks to is word about DH, and comes through with the dedication to the book.

Also do you think at they can bring back the principles and reshoot things that happened to be left out of HBP…. I don’t know maybe make a good movie!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Also how they’ve changed the context of Ginny and Harry’s relationship.

No common room kiss!!!

This was the turning part of their relationship. How Harry suddenly kissed her. To change this just shows they don’t value or understand their relationship.

Ginny making moves on Harry!!!

The book was all about how she was going out with Dean and Harry’s jealousy. It doesn’t ring true that she would be making moves on Harry while still going out with someone else.

They’ve constantly undeplayed and undervalued Harry and Ginny’s relationship/friendship since COS even to the point in OOTP they don’t acknowledge Ginny’s possession by Volderrmort. The 1 person who could understand what Harry was going through.

All this and then they cut Dumbledore’s funeral. Bad in itself that such a major scene is not shown but isn’t this when Harry tells Ginny they can’t be together.

Why even have Ginny in the film if you don’t include this scene?

Avatar Image says: I AM happy they're bringing back Dobby, though :D And that we can see him in all his mis-matched socks and multiple ties and hats (or a tea cozy with badges on it) glory. I will be glad to see him a free elf, even if just for a few minutes. Avatar Image says: @eb: First of all... the vanishing cabinet IS in the film. We have photos of it. I'm not sure if we get to see Death Eaters climbing out of it (although we never actually read this exact scene in the book either, we just read of the event) but we do get to see Draco testing it with some birds. Now, I'm not sure if you meant that they cut the locket for OotP, but we also have seen photos of the locket which I'm sure is in the cave scene! (maybe even in a memory scene, but idk about that one for sure) And to everyone else: I'm not sure how many people have read the test-screening reports, but several of them give pretty detailed reports on the events of the final chapters and what events are cut. As for the battle of Hogwarts, I'd like to say this in the most respectful and sincere way i can :D... Maybe some of u should look at this "battle" a little more closely! In my book, (which is US edition, btw) we have Dumbledore's death at the end of "the Lightning Struck Tower" on page 596. Then we have a small battle of some of the students and Order fighting the Death Eaters, while Harry runs out to the grounds towards Snape, from page 597-601. On page 602 we have the burning of Hagrid's hut which is also in the film. (we see it in the trailers). The film also includes Bellatrix going crazy in the Great Hall and Harry chasing Snape into the forest. so.... WAS THAT THE BIG BATTLE?? Those five pages? I'm a bit confused, really... Are we all seriously upset about those FIVE pages that were cut, or did I miss something here? Or were some of us just unsure of what was really in the film? Oh yeah... I almost forgot! Great interview by Heyman! I wonder what other scenes Dobby will be in, if he is to be introduced before his death. But how I love speculating...Avatar Image says: hmmmm.... i am sooooo sorry! i accidentally clicked a link to this post and i didnt realize that this was an posted in september, as it is now January! So of course the people who i thought had no idea what they were talking about actually didnt because things like the test-screens, well... hadnt even happened yet! hahaha! wow! i just crack myself up! (but it is still annoying when people get upset over little things like five pages not being in the film!)

Write a Reply or Comment