Scholastic to Release US Paperback Edition of “Deathly Hallows” July, 2009

112

Sep 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Scholastic has issued a press release heralding the good news that they will be releasing the paperback edition of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” on July 7, 2009. The US publishers of the Harry Potter series note that this will see an nitial print run of 2 million copies, which will “bring the total number of the seven Harry Potter books in print to over 143 million in the U.S. alone.”

“We have another big year planned for Harry,” said Ellie Berger, President of Trade, Scholastic. “As we look toward the tenth anniversary of the U.S. publication of J.K. Rowling’s first Harry Potter novel, we are thrilled to continue to bring Harry Potter to fans of all ages in new and exciting ways.”

A reminder that tomorrow, the Tenth Anniversary edition of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” will be formally released by Scholastic, and the special Cover to Cover read-a-thon will begin at 8am at www.scholastic.com/readharry. Also, December 4 of this year, the highly anticipated “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” by J.K. Rowling will be published, with proceeds to benefit the Children’s High Level group charity. You can learn more about “Beedle the Bard”via this link at Scholastic, as well as pre-order the limited Collectors Edition of the book here, and the standard edition of the book here.

20 Responses to Scholastic to Release US Paperback Edition of “Deathly Hallows” July, 2009

first comment :D

1st! ;)

Well, I prefer paperback so as soon as it was released in the UK, I ordered it and had it shipped to Denmark! (;

Avatar Image says:

[LOL] you know, jaye, you really aught to MAKE a comment! :D This sounds like lots of fun, and I can’t wait for next summer~I do wish the ‘Deathly Hallows’ paperback was coming out, sooner, though. My hardback is getting “well used”....Thanks, again, Sue! Love ya, bunches!

Avatar Image says:

@jaye: Next time you’re “first comment”...make a comment! LOL Anyhow, I’m with you Michaela…my hardback is starting to “show signs of wear”..I have paperbacks of ALL the others. I prefer to read the paperbacks and keep the hardcovers “neat”....[I DO read the hardcovers, with the dustcovers off] :D

Avatar Image says:

yes finally i can complete my set asi have the first 6 in paperback, i wanted the deathly hallows in paperback. i wish it had come out sooner but obviously they are going off the release date for HBP movie , kinda like deja vu for the hardback back release of DH on OOTP lol

Avatar Image says:

I am happy it is coming out, but I don’t consider July 2009 to be good news. That only means the US edition of the 7-paperback box set is not coming out for a while, too. Considering I can order it on-line from the UK on October 6, 2008, I will. I actually think it will be neat to read the difference, albeit minor, between the US and UK editions.

Avatar Image says:

Yay. That’ll be around the Half-Blood Prince movie >> SADLY! But yeah, I can’t wait to get it in paperback. That means I’ll have 3 copies of it! :D Yay. But it’ll be weird in paperback… I’m so used to the hardcover!

Avatar Image says:

I have had the UK paperback since its UK release, thanks to Amazon.uk. In fact, I have all the paperbacks in the UK version(all the hardbacks in the US version), and it is fun to read the differences. Thye most notable are between Philosopher’s Stone and Sorcerers Stone.

Avatar Image says:

I wanted the paperback because it is easier to take along. I got the UK edition when it first came out, and am happy I did, since Scholastic is dragging their feet.

Avatar Image says:

I’m guessing that this is for the trade-sized paperback – will the mass market paperback be released at the same time?

Avatar Image says:

I am completely surpriced the US paperback edition wasn’t released yet, the UK Bloomsbury paperback edition is already at the discount and dump display.

Releasing it next year will be what we call: mustard after the dish. I cannot imagine there still is a market for it after so long.

12th comment! oh em gee!

now i wish i had something to actually say…

Avatar Image says:

[Smug face] Well, my Deluxe Edition Deathly Hallows still looks marvelous, clean and good as new even though I have read it many, many times, honestly, I don’t know what you people do with your books.

LOL, just kidding guys, but it’s still exciting to get new editions =P.

What I really can’t wait for is The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I read the tales’ synopsis on Wikipedia and they seem great to read! I’ll be getting the “cheap” version, the collector’s edition is just too expensive (though it is VERY enticing…). How ‘bout you? Which one will you get?

DL_Hector - Return HBP to November!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I’m gonna get the ‘cheap’ version of Beedle’s too. Can’t afford the other one.

I’ve only got 1-3 and 7, in hardback (and in danish too). Otherwise I’ve got the entire of the UK set, in paperback, and DH in hardback also. And 1-6 of the US version, in paperback. They – obiviously – hadn’t released the paperback, when I was in the US this summer, so maybe I’ll just order it from Amazon. The problem is that they put on these huge tax fees, when it’s shipped from outside of Europe. Real bummer!

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know if Scholastic will ‘correct’ the typos and other errors of the first edition when issuing the 10th anniversary editions? For example, in CoS, chapter 18, the obvious “Lord Volemoret—who is the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin” when descendent was the right word; the infamous editorial gaff of site instead of sight, and so on…small corrections, obviously….

Also, wasn’t Leaky collecting all the passages from the UK vs US editions that were different and placing them into one forum or other area within the site? I’ve been meaning to go look, can anyone steer me to the correct place? (and, if my memory is incorrect and that hasn’t been done…well, would it be possible to do so?)

Never have understood why the US and UK versions had any differences at all…makes no sense to me, actually

Avatar Image says:

well other that the obvious Sorceror’s stone/Philosopher’s stone difference i never saw any need for differences inthe english language editions, but anywho i wish they had not waited so long to release the paper back edition of HP DH. but ill be glad to get it at any rate

Avatar Image says:

A big difference between UK and US versions could be colloquialisms. There are some British terms, slang, or sayings that may not be easily (or correctly) interpreted in the US. Scholastic could have identified these and made them more ‘American’... or maybe not. After all, they still refer to ‘dessert’ as ‘pudding’, and used the phrase ’...put paid to…’.

Avatar Image says:

The news that year 7 book isn’t coming out until July of 2009 is very upsetting because I’ve been waiting sooooo long to read this book. I refuse to buy hardcover because all of my other books are paperback and I want them all to be the same

Avatar Image says:

I agree! I have all paperback and want paperback to complete the set. Yes, I was a little behind in the Harry Potter craze! But seriously, now I have to wait almost a year for the last book! Frustrating! I refuse to get a hardback!

Avatar Image says:

I agree – I have all US paperback editions of 1-6, as well, and waiting two years after the hardback release is a dirty money grubbing stunt on Scholastic’s part, as far as I’m concerned. At this point, I won’t buy the hardcover DH, or replace my set with a hardcover set, on principle.

Write a Reply or Comment