Twenty-Five Minutes of “Half-Blood Prince” to be in 3D

113

Sep 22, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

ComingSoon.net has an article online regarding the “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” film, reporting that approximately 25 minutes of the upcoming sixth movie will be shown in 3D. The site is reporting IMAX Corporation Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Rich Gelfond, told shareholders that “we believe this film will include approximately 25 minutes in IMAX 3-D split between the opening sequence of the film and the finale.” As readers will remember, the fifth film, “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” featured seventeen minutes of its finale in 3D as well.

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” will be in both IMAX and standard theaters on July 17, 2009.

21 Responses to Twenty-Five Minutes of “Half-Blood Prince” to be in 3D

Avatar Image says:

Omg! thats great i cant wait till the movie comes out and now some of it is in 3-D! the sixth movie is going to be great!

Avatar Image says:

ok, i guess, but 298 more days left.

Avatar Image says:

Yes!!!! Im so happy. This is going to be my first time watching a movie in 3-d and im happy its got lots of it in it. Cant wait for HBP!!!

Avatar Image says:

Omg! that sounds great. i cant wait till the movie comes out and now i can see some of it in 3-D!!! The sixth movie is going to be great! :)

Avatar Image says:

yes, the film was sent to DMR just a short while ago (some of you know, I had mentioned that). Right when the MPAA sign appears, the glasses symbol comes on. essentially, the millenium bridge sequence & some other recently finished quick FX cuts (<5 min) in the opening are in 3D, as the screen fades to black after the destruction, the glasses symbol appears with an X across it, indicating that 3D is over. and when DD & Harry step out to apparate, the screen will show the glasses symbol, the moment they set foot in the vicinity of the cave, everything will go 3d. then, as soon as DD falls off the roof, the X-ed out glasses appear again. yes, the funeral ain't in there (at least not as in the book, but there's some "character" scenes of closure, right after the lightning-struck tower)

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t know OotP had a 3-D segment. Which scenes are in 3-D? I am a little suspect of 3-D. I saw Spy Kids in 3-D; I had a migraine for a week.

Avatar Image says:

Lol “we believe this film will include approximately 25 minutes in IMAX 3-D split between the opening sequence of the film and the finale.”

Oh really? So in other words, the 3D scenes will be between the beginning of the movie and the end of it? Considering the many alternatives to this section of the film, I’m glad they chose it. Great to have such hot news like this.

Avatar Image says:

Good deal; both versions will be released the same day. Before on the WB site, they had the IMAX version coming out in November 2009. Now it says “Summer 2009”. I wonder what parts will be in 3D at the beginning?

Avatar Image says:

sorry leaky cut off the rest of the comment:

(the glasses logo appears right during the MPAA screen, there is appx. 5 min of 3D) after that, there’s a fade to black and the glasses logo appears again with a X across it. then the boardroom scene begins

then as DD & Harry walk out to apparate toward the end, the logo appears again, as soon as they’ve apparated to the vicinity of the cave, it’s all 3d from that point on. until the lightning-struck tower sequence is over. then as we see the camera dive in a rush of wind (after harry watches Snape leave the tower top, the camera-work here is awesome, we follow DD’s body on it’s speedy descent downward for about two seconds, we don’t see the splurge of course. then as the scene cuts to the chase) the X-ed out logo appears and the rest of the 5 odd minutes of dialogue based scenes finish the film (as you know, there’s no funeral).

Avatar Image says:

wwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Is that for all theaters?

Avatar Image says:

I’m leary about seeing HBP in 3D (at least for my first viewing of the film). I was so excited to get to see OOtP in 3D at our local IMAX theatre and I enjoyed it, but I felt the end of the film was choppy and didn’t flow well. It wasn’t until I bought the full theatrical release that I realized the IMAX version had cut several clips out of the Dept. of Mysteries section and the final battle section (I assume) to reduce how much 3D filming they had to do. All in all, I found the regular theatrical release of the film MUCH easier to follow and a more satisfying version. Seeing stuff in 3D was fun, but if the 3D version is going to be missing stuff again this time, compared to the regular release, I’ll probably skip it.

Avatar Image says:

I’M SUPER HAPPY TODAY !!!! soo much great HP6 news , first the pictures and now this !! i LOVE 3D it’s the best and i saw HP5 in 3D it was incredible , soo this is going to be even better !!!!!

Avatar Image says:

That seems pretty cool…But I just want to know something…did someone say there is not a funeral scene in HBP????? I still cry at that part in the book after reading it countless times, did they really cut it out? Please tell me its not true?

Avatar Image says:

That´s great and I wonder if they will shoot DH in Stereoscopic/3D the way Cameron´s Avatar was. I believe the process used on the HP movies so far is to digitally create the 3D images from the 2D negative. But others maybe know more about that. The REAL sad part about 3D is that here in Germany, despite the 82 million people living here, there are hardly any IMAX theatres that show feature films. So there´s another reason to fly to London next year.

Avatar Image says:

Yawn. This is in no way exciting to me, as we only have a few IMAX’s in Britain and my nearest one closed down two years ago (in Bristol).

Avatar Image says:

Awesome news!! At least there’s some kind of compensation for the delay…though we have to wait till Summer 2009 for it…:-(

Avatar Image says:

That Great News, I never watch a Movies on 3-D or Imax, I want Harry Potter to be my first time. !!!

Avatar Image says:

you can still see it in normal theaters though, right?

3D movies are for kids cartoons, just gonna make it SO unreal. :\