A History of Harry for MTV

114

Sep 23, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As readers will recall, TLC‘s own webmistress Melissa Anelli is the author of a new book called “Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon,” which contains an interview and a foreward from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. This week, MTV is doing a series of features on the world of Harry Potter, and has a new interview with Melissa, who gives us some background on how she had originally planned to go about the book without any interview with Jo, saying “I was actually planning on writing it without her [participation]. It’s like when you watch the show ˜The West Wing’: yes, the president is very important, but it’s more about the staff. This is more about the people, the companies, the entities that brought Harry Potter into fruition. And using that analogy, having the president there adds so much, and adds so much interest, but I was counting on not having her.”

Things changed of course, after Melissa asked for an interview with Jo, and MTV reports that “Anelli sent another letter last fall, asking for an interview, and notifying her that she would also be asking all of Rowling’s agents, publicists, and editors as well. “She said yes, and then everybody else said yes, and it completely changed the book in the last four months of writing’ Anelli said. “It made things a little crazy, but it was really worth it.

…while Rowling had been cagey in the past, not wanting to answer a lot of questions in fear of spoilers, “the floodgates were opened’ Anelli said. “I’ve been watching her for ten years now, and most of the time, she answers, ˜Yes, mmm,’ and you can tell she really wanted to talk about it, but she had to stop herself. Now she can talk about it freely.”

As a first time published author, Melissa says she has been feeling very nervous about having a book become published, but says that JKR has actually been a big help during this time, noting “she’s been very gracious about letting me know that certain feelings I have are normal, like feeling nauseated waiting for the book to come out. She’s been very helpful about helping me adjust to the idea that I’m going to be a published author. And that’s an even greater gift than what’s in the book.”

Available for pre-order, Harry, A History will be published on November 4, 2008.

34 Responses to A History of Harry for MTV

Avatar Image says:

Yeah! First to comment finally!! Anyway this is great!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah Melissa!!! You can be nervous, I’ll be excited for you! Good luck in the next two months (waiting sucks!) and best wishes for the book. Heard some in Providence, and it was totally awesome!!!! Can’t wait and best of luck!!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is going to be a fantastic book. A compilation of all we (fans) have seen, done, felt, etc. throughout the series. Congratulations Melissa! Of course your book will be a must-have for me =D

Avatar Image says:

Yay Melissa! I can’t wait until I can read your book =)

Avatar Image says:

oh milissa! i am soo exceedingly excited for your book! i am sitting at home horribuly sick and now i am soo happy because i can read about you book! just look, its already makeing people happy and its not even out yet! i cant wait to actually read the book itsself!

Avatar Image says:

I WOULD LIKE A HARDCOVER?I SEE ONLY PAPER BACK OFFERED?

Avatar Image says:

I want to read it right now, but ugh, I have to wait. Everything lately has just been “wait, wait, wait”.

Does anyone know where we can read some excerpts?

Avatar Image says:

Already have mine preordered, Melissa! Way to go!

MUCH CONGRATULATIONS Melissa!!!!!

I pre-ordered your book today and I’m VERY EXCITED to read it, particularly what you have to say about us crazy HP fans!

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, you are Wonder Woman! I was crying when you did the reading at Terminus…there is no one on earth who could have come close to writing your story… Harry, A History, is going on my bookshelf right next to my copy of “Tales of Beedle the Bard”, both to be read to my kids in 20 or so years, with great pride and joy. Congratulations.

Avatar Image says:

There have been a few excerpts around, there are youtube clips of the reading at terminus (eg. at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFb8EHtG6D8 ), Amazon have a pdf extract from the foreword http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/SS.EMS/RowlingForewordfromHarryAHistory.pdf and there is a clip on the book’s web page (first link in the report above).

Avatar Image says:

when will the episode air on mtv???!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t see how this is different than Steve’s book, why is JKR ok with this but not with SVA’s… hmm

Avatar Image says:

Is there a schedule available? Joe, let’s not start that again. Melissa’s book is not a recap or encylopedia of the Harry Potter stories it is an account of the fandom and movement that the series inspired. Totally different,

Avatar Image says:

A schedule please? Joe, let’s not start that again. Melissa’s booki s nothing like Steve’s. Her book is an account of the movement and loyal fandom that has been spawned by the Harry Potter series. It is not an encylopedia the way that Steve intended to create. Totally different.

Avatar Image says:

I will vote for Harry, A History on Election Day! Go Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

Great interview Marvelous Melissa! I wait for your book with as much anticipation as I do for Beedle the Bard.

OMT

Avatar Image says:

Over a month away from the publishing date and Melissa’s book is up to 577 on Amazon!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! I’ve already pre-ordered two copies, so I can give one to my, also potter obsessed, sister.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome job, Melis—well-earned and much deserved! I cannot wait to have your book in my hands!

Avatar Image says:

When are these Harry Potter features going to be on MTV? I checked tvguide.com and the usual drivel is on thru Sunday. mtv.com has the Hottttt Cheryl article and Harry, A History article but no mention of anything on TV.

Avatar Image says:

squeesqueesqueesquee!!! No need to feel sick, Melissa- there’s no doubt the book will be great!

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I can’t wait to read the book! It sounds great.

Avatar Image says:

This is something I am really looking forward to reading for the first time in a long time!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know much about this Melissa person. if she is good or what her works are but with a forward note from J.K Rowling I am certain she will be an instant millionaire from the sales. Every potter fan will buy a copy. Damn it why didn’t I think of this first??

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Melisa’s on MTV…..sort of. Woot! I’m really looking forward to reading this book.

Avatar Image says:

Well done Melissa. Really looking forward to your book.

Avatar Image says:

Well done, Melissa! I am so glad you thought to cover the subject and I am looking forward to receiving my copy.

Avatar Image says:

I think you mean foreword…

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I can’t wait for the book! Congrats, Melissa : )

Avatar Image says:

When will it be on MTV???

Avatar Image says:

I’m so proud of you, Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

Yay Melissa!! Your book is going to be so awesome…I can’t WAIT for it to come out!!!

Avatar Image says:

Cant wait Mellisa, Im psyched for the book!

Avatar Image says:

Fluffy: Actually Bez is correct in his/her usage of the word “forward” in her sentance. There is another spelling, foreward, (note spelling is foreward not foreword) but that spelling is used to denote the introduction notes to a book, usually written by someone chosen by the author (the foreward in the book).

Write a Reply or Comment