Harry Potter Bookend Recall

Sep 24, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Giftco, Inc. have issued a recall of a set of Harry Potter bookends, for containing levels of lead in their paint that violate the federal lead paint standard.

About 36,000 unites of the bookends exist; they include bookends molded to look like Harry, Hermione, Hedwig and Crookshanks. They were sold at elementary school fundraisers, discount and dollar stores from June 2004 through January 2006, for between $3 and $38. If you have one of these items, call Giftco Inc. at (888) 448-6728 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. central time Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s web site. You can see pictures of two of the items on the recall page.

16 Responses to Harry Potter Bookend Recall

Avatar Image says:

I feel like a lot of stuff hasn’t been complying with stuff lately. What is going on??

Avatar Image says:

I’m with you, Brittany…it seems like it was only a matter of time, before HP merchandise would be affected. How said…I would say, anyone who knows anyone, who may have bought these, for their children: Make sure you let them know. Not all parents [or kids] pay attention to these things. Also, not all parents keep up with ‘Leaky’. I wonder if they’re going to offer replacement items? How sad. Thanks, Melissa, and Leaky. This is really important info!

Avatar Image says:

I went to ‘Giftco’s’ Website, and the only thing listed is a “pine cone recall”. It looks like you have to be a “member”, as there is a “log in”...but if you go to the recall page, it has all the information. Looks like they are only giving monetary refunds. The REALLY sad part is, these were part of an Elementary School Fundraiser!

Hermione as a Red-head… It’s the Weasleys influence :P

Avatar Image says:

Jo, I imagine Gifto Inc would be cutting their losses, not the elementary school fund. At least I think that should be the case. It cant be right for the fund to return money to Gifto, can it? I may be wrong.

Avatar Image says:

I have a set and I am not giving them back. I don’t have ankle bitters running around my house, and there is way too much concern over lead. The EU has not banned the use of lead. However it must be used in very specific ways.

Avatar Image says:

Great…those two bookends are sitting right in front of me right now. Looks like I’ve got a new item for my christmas list lol

Avatar Image says:

I`m in the UK and I`ve got a pair that I bought off e-bay from someone in the US. I don`t think the company would give me a refund seeing as I`m in the UK but I hardly ever touch them so I think I`ll just leave them in the bookcase.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve got a set too. Mine came in an easter basket my dad got me from Whimsic Alley a few years ago. I’m looking at them holding up all of my DVDs right now. I’m not sending mine back either. I’m 21 and I don’t plan on licking or trying to eat bookends so I think I’m safe. I hope they don’t eventually end up recalling the ones of Harry and Hedwig that were part of the merch for OOTP last year since those are holding up all of my books on the shelf opposite the ones holding up my DVDs. Oh well guess it doesn’t matter since I’m not sending them back anyway.

Avatar Image says:

hmm. i have a set of these sitting on my bookshelf too. and it sounds like not returning is on a lot of people’s minds. i like mine and really don’t want to return them ,seeing as they were a christmas gift. i agree with lupinblack and bella vita. it’s not like i’m going to go and lick them right now. unless they forcibly collect them, and i don’t see how they would. i am keeping mine right where they are :)

Avatar Image says:

yeahhh i have these too, i got them off ebay. i don’t think i’m sending mine back either, it doesn’t sound like too much of a hazard or i think they would be more concerned about it. im keepin em!!

Avatar Image says:

First kid’s toys, now Harry? Who’s making these things!

Avatar Image says:

Man, I have those, but I really don’t want to give them back. They look really nice on my shelf, but if they’re dangerous, I don’t know. I’ve had these for a very long time..I wonder why they’re just now coming out with this.

Avatar Image says:

I have a set that I won at a con. I just had a baby (8 weeks), so I’m not taking any chances. I wonder if they will pay for shipping them back to them? I won them, so maybe I will just toss them out. I hate to, because they are nice, but oh well.

Avatar Image says:

I got my from Whimsic a couple of years ago..im sending mine back for sure..I always hated them..I had thought they were official until I saw them

Avatar Imagekyrstalkris says: Why was it recalled? Oh, gosh, I hope no one got injured! And this is very bad for the image of Harry Potter. . . . Dx

Write a Reply or Comment